Skip to content

Can't access SoD when starting BG EE

gibbozagibboza Member Posts: 6
Hi guys,

I seem to be having the issue as this guy from a while back:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/57135/resolved-sod-steam-install-only-plays-bgee-not-sod

Except that I've tried everything they suggested there, except that the directory path change which resolved his issue isn't applicable to me, since my install is in the default steam folder and always has been.

I even went into SoD after killing Sarevok, saved and quit shortly after that, and now I've realised I can't get back into SoD to continue.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Do you have the black or blue user interface?
    Are you using retail v2.3 or beta v2.5. Drop out of the beta if you wish to play SoD.
  • gibbozagibboza Member Posts: 6
    This is the menu that I get:

I do have some of the recommended mods installed. Is there a chance they could have changed something?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    That's the menu you would expect for starting BGEE from the BGEE executable (as opposed to the SoD executable.

If you're using a short-cut to start the game, can I just double-check that is properly linking to the SoD executable? If you right-click the short-cut and then look at properties what is the path to the target? In my case for instance:
    - if I want to just start BGEE the short-cut target is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\BGEE.exe"
    - if I want to be able to play SoD the short-cut target is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Siege of Dragonspear\SOD.exe"
    I'm using the steam version, so I'm not using any shortcuts, other than the one in my steam game library, which I assume points to the baldur.exe in my "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" folder.

I've searched for a SoD.exe in that folder but there is nothing there, does the steam version of SoD locate everything in the "sod-dlc" folder and just run off the normal baldur.exe?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Please, delete all your mods as the screenshot you are attaching is not the vanilla BG:EE starting screen (the buttons have the BGII style), so I guess you use one of UI mods to make the BG:EE UI more like BGII:EE UI.

I'm sure the fresh install will grant you everything you need.

You can check if you have SoD installed in the Steam App (in the list of your DLCs it'll have SoD checked).

Please, delete all your mods as the screenshot you are attaching is not the vanilla BG:EE starting screen (the buttons have the BGII style), so I guess you use one of UI mods to make the BG:EE UI more like BGII:EE UI.

I'm sure the fresh install will grant you everything you need.

You can check if you have SoD installed in the Steam App (in the list of your DLCs it'll have SoD checked).

I guess that is my next option. I'm just worried about reinstalling the mods correctly so that I don't miss anything I had installed previously and break my game when I import my BG:EE character. But that is besides the issue here.