Skip to content

Building a blackguard

What weapon proficiencies are best for a solo blackguard?

I plan on going from Candlekeep to the Throne this way. I rolled great and need to know where to start with these stats.

Thank you.

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    BG1 I would go with bastard and crossbow.

BG2, Two Handed Sword.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I've found two-handed swords to be a fairly underwhelming option on Blackguards to be honest. Ir'revrykal just isn't as much of a prize compared to Carsomyr with its more difficult location and worse stats. Dual-wielding with bastard swords and war hammers has felt better to me.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I completely agree about crossbows (through all the games) but would go with war hammer in BG1 and switch to dual wielding with something sharp in BG2.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited June 2018
    BG1:EE
    ** Two-handed swords (Spider's Bane and Lilarcor, later - for Silver_Sword and Soul Reaver, which is an amazing weapon)
    ** Crossbow (the Army Scythe and Firetooth+4)

3rd level
    * Two-handed weapon fighting style
    6th level
    * Flails (for the FoA and DoE - I consider DoE is a must for a solo and/or no-reload play; and for a very cool morningstar in SoD, Martyr's Morningstar +2)

BGII:EE (or SoD)
    9th level
    ** Flails (especially handy in SoD for Martyr's Morningstar +2 against the boss)

12th level
    * Two-weapon fighting style (now you can already dual-wield FoA and DoE)

15th level
    ** Two-weapon fighting style (now you can dual-wield FoA and DoE more effectively)

18th level
    * Bastard swords (for Foebane)

21th level
    ** Bastard swords

24th and 27th levels
    * and ** Halberds (for Ravager)

Not sure whether all the rest proficiencies matter or not. See other suggestions here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/819205/#Comment_819205
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

One of the best assets of a blackguard IMO is his/her ability to poison weapon. For this reason, I suggest giving strong consideration to using a (probably long)bow, so you can hit mages with poisoned arrows from a distance and interrupt their spellcasting.

• Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited June 2018
    Darts. It might not be the best build, but it's not the worst, either. You get full plate and a shield and respectable APR and blackguard poison and that penalty aura to stave off the enemy. Also, your bragging rights will go through the roof. "I soloed a darts-throwing blackguard!" Men will sing your praise. You will be the subject of Sven-like adulations: https://youtu.be/Ge3mvp_CcAU

Victory shall be yours. You know this.
  • SouplesseSouplesse Member Posts: 131
    Apr + poison is very fun! So i’ll Go with Foa and belm and then foebane/belm or foebane/DoE for defensive stans!