Skip to content

Common PW Exploits

Comments

• NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    edited May 2018

I think it's important to remind people that any support offered by the modding community is done so out of the goodness of that persons heart.

No one is entitled to anyone elses time or expertise.

I completely agree with this. Pretty sure that's why OP started this topic in the first place. And they even asked nicely:
    DM_Djinn said:

If you know of other common PW exploits, please share them so they can get some attention.

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387

If you know of an exploit that needs fixing then please report it to beamdog.

If it is a bug in one of the stock scripts, sure. If it is a security sensitive issue, please reach out to a dev directly rather than going through redmine.

• GM_ODAGM_ODA Member Posts: 177
    meaglyn said:

... exploits should be fixed. Keeping them secret so that only the in-the-know crowd can protect themselves is fine as long as people who care have a way to be in that elite, special, shiny group. But that has not been the case in NWN. If there are server-side fixes for known exploits, then keeping them secret is a disservice to PW admins.

I agree - I was run out of an 'administrator group' because I advocated some security measures the others did not like - totally valid measures just they did not want to make them so excluded me from their group. This only makes it necessary for all us outsiders to do our own research and such redundant wastes of human effort is a SIN.

I am a server admin, to deny me information that could protect my server is a huge disservice to the community.

There used to be NWNX plugins that plugged these vulnerabilities. Sometimes distributed without the sources even. I know niv wrote one that fixes an RCE exploit; best check with him what's the status there.

I haven't actually run a server in a long time, so I didn't pay too much attention to it, sorry.

It is a questionable method to blindly trust the code of others. Source code or we don't use it is our rule. Doubly so for anything from a community member rather than a company that has a public front (can be sued for bad behavior).

Most likely because those with less technical expertise are most at risk and publicly posting what could effectively be a tutorial on how to hack your server for anyone curious isn't in your best interest.

Besides that most of the concerns aren't actually exploits and you would probably have better luck asking a question on the scripting forum, or posting a bug report if it's a bug.

The 'bad guys' get that information from their sources so we have to go find their sources to know what we should protect against?!?!?! Gods that is terrible logic. This community should share such lore so we can protect against it better. NOT telling us admins means that EVEN THOSE OF US WHO CAN CREATE SOLUTIONS TO SECURE THE SYSTEM ARE LEFT IN THE DARK. We all know the less than technically apt will faceplant on this but WHY OH WHY DO YOU ADVOCATE MAKING US ALL FIND ALL THE ERRORS UNAIDED?
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    Perhaps we should crowd source a super secret list of all the known and unknown exploits to send off to the devs so they can actually be patched instead of having to maintain 15 more years of cloak and dagger.

:)
    This does not address those which go unfixed, nor the span of vulnerability left prior to anything being 'fixed' - again, why keep fellow admins in the dark. hackers cooperate MUCH better than NWN admins imho.
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    There's already some stuff on the public redmine if you spend time digging around. See Bug#36817, for example. If something's missing, report it somewhere.

-Dave
    "go search for the answers" is really the least helpful of answers. Yes, I know I can search and find _some_ things, but again, hackers are much better at cooperating with one another than are admins for NWN servers.
    edited June 2018
    I'm beginning to realize that there is probably a misunderstanding going on here. I think what the majority of people are asking for, in these particular "exploit" threads, are common, fixable, already fixed, known, player exploits that many up and coming "would be" PW admins and builders (or even those who've been around awhile and might have missed a memo or two) might otherwise be unaware of and would like to know about ahead of time before they go live or what not. At least this is what I am wanting, hoping for, and am interested in. And I don't think it's wrong or dangerous to ask for it. For every player who see's such a list that would take advantage of it, you would also have a builder who would see it and could fix said issues.

Sure if there is some weird type of thing going on that you suspect has nothing to do with scripting and maybe some pure hardcoded engine exploit or some external program exploit, then of course that should be brought to the attention of the devs and not posted. But I think there are two conflicting sides asking for two different things here.
  • RifleLeroyRifleLeroy Member Posts: 77
    why there still bugs in EE version?
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248

Software Entropy
    edited June 2018

Software Entropy
    Wasn't referring to the bugs that came out with the latest additions, i was referring to those OLD bugs that are well documented and known by anyone with a bit of experience.

like this:
    http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Darkness

or the one that give me the chance to get infinite attacks...
    or when you try to subtract XP from a rdd character and the stats goes busted,
    and many others...

raz651 said:

CUT
    call me when you reach 1000 bugs. Got an award for you.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited June 2018

Software Entropy
    Wasn't referring to the bugs that came out with the latest additions, i was referring to those OLD bugs that are well documented and known by anyone with a bit of experience.

like this:
    http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Darkness

or the one that give me the chance to get infinite attacks...
    or when you try to subtract XP from a rdd character and the stats goes busted,
    and many others...

raz651 said:

CUT
    call me when you reach 1000 bugs. Got an award for you.
    If I'm not mistaken Beamdog first wants to tackle technical issues and bugs before going for the more game-related issues. Which is the reason why the community patch project is still a thing as that fixes more. This is also the reason the community patch is still interesting. Check this link, especially the original post in which Shadooow explains the reason for keeping the CPP.
    edited June 2018

If I'm not mistaken Beamdog first wants to tackle technical issues and bugs before going for the more game-related issues. Which is the reason why the community patch project is still a thing as that fixes more. This is also the reason the community patch is still interesting. Check this link, especially the original post in which Shadooow explains the reason for keeping the CPP.

Does this mean that beamdog will fix the broken stuff in the future or that we will need cpp to cover certain bugs?

Btw I already use 1.72 cpp for one of my module but that because is the 1.69 version of the game, im not going to adopt cpp also for the EE; first of all is not pratical,second i prefer that is who sell me the game to provide me the fix's needed,not a third part ...with all the respect to the great work done by shadooow through this years.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Some things aren't exploits but bugs, like the RDD re-level bug which can make characters illegal and unplayable. Fixing bugs should be the responsibility of the developer.

Some things aren't exploits but features, like the continual flame feature which erroneously increases the price of an item. It can also be the IGMS feature which erroneously deals up to 40d6 magic damage no save on a 6th level spell slot, or many other spells and feats that do things the D&D system did not account for nor intend. Changing unwanted features should be the responsibility of the module or pw builder.

Exploits are always malicious and intended to disrupt or gain some unintended advantage, fixing them should be the responsibility of the developer.

A player is not exploiting if they're the victim of a bug or they're using a feature as intended. Features are more so the responsibility of module and persistent world builders. By leaving spells like continual flame unedited the builder includes it as part of their intended design, through inaction and perhaps some incompetence. However it is not the fault of the player as the (passive) choice to leave it as is was made by the builder. Therefore it cannot be called an exploit, doing so would be absurd and needlessly antagonistic towards your players.
    edited June 2018

Some things aren't exploits but bugs, like the RDD re-level bug which can make characters illegal and unplayable. Fixing bugs should be the responsibility of the developer.

And if a builder is unaware of this bug (that has a fix/workaround) and doesn't fix it, a player who is aware of it can take advantage of it (exploit it). There IS a workaround for this. But if you can't ask for it, then the builder may never know.

Some things aren't exploits but features, like the continual flame feature which erroneously increases the price of an item. It can also be the IGMS feature which erroneously deals up to 40d6 magic damage no save on a 6th level spell slot, or many other spells and feats that do things the D&D system did not account for nor intend. Changing unwanted features should be the responsibility of the module or pw builder.

Again. If the builder is unaware of these "features", and if known ahead of time would definitely not like them as they are...wouldn't hurt to give people a heads up. The price increase on items with continual flame could definitely be "exploited" by a player who is aware of it while the builder is not. I agree that this may be a feature but as far as I know, I think the majority of PW builders out there who are aware of it, "fix" it.

A player is not exploiting if they're the victim of a bug..

Unless they know about the bug, the builder does not, and the player knowingly takes advantage of it (exploits it). Again, the whole point of this thread.

Features are more so the responsibility of module and persistent world builders. By leaving spells like continual flame unedited the builder includes it as part of their intended design, through inaction and perhaps some incompetence.

And once again I'd like to point out the whole reason for this thread. A builder has to be AWARE of it first. A builder asks about bugs or exploits, is told not to ask about bugs or exploits, doesn't fix them on his PW because he doesn't know about them and now it's because of his inaction and/or incompetence? Wow.

This is the last I will reply in this particular thread and I will just say that I very strongly agree to disagree.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    The only issue is that some of you keep conflating different things that aren't remotely the same. Nobody said you can't talk about bugs and features you don't like, there are many threads that discuss these topics openly and ppl offer various solutions. I don't know why anyone would disagree with being able to discuss those things if they want help but hey that's freedom I guess.
    Thank you @Shadooow . A lot of these I didn't know about. I appreciate it.
    So I'm looking over your starter module and I'm just wondering if beamdog has fixed any of those issues yet. I just want to make sure I'm not trying to fix anything that's already been fixed. Also has beamdog fixed any of the issues that your patch fixes? Are you keeping your patch updated to reflect beamdog fixes? Do we even know for sure what beamdog has already fixed regarding these issues so people aren't trying to fix things that have already been fixed?
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402

Thank you @Shadooow . A lot of these I didn't know about. I appreciate it.
    So I'm looking over your starter module and I'm just wondering if beamdog has fixed any of those issues yet. I just want to make sure I'm not trying to fix anything that's already been fixed. Also has beamdog fixed any of the issues that your patch fixes? Are you keeping your patch updated to reflect beamdog fixes? Do we even know for sure what beamdog has already fixed regarding these issues so people aren't trying to fix things that have already been fixed?

beamdog fixed throwing weapon exploit and crash exploits, basically ignore the aquire, unacquire, equip´, unequip events in thatstarting module

exporting character in acquire might still be usefull if a new crash exploit will be found but unfortunately it has few side effects with polymorph (all polymorph issues should be fixed in community patch though)

as for community patch, no I am not updating it for NWN:EE, and I didn't remove scripted fixes for issues fixed by BeamDog yet. But thats not problem, it hurts nothing that there is code that won't trigger anymore.
    edited June 2018
    In addition to the exploits reported by Shadooow i think i rememeber there is another exploit at character creation,it is related with conversation field.
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    edited June 2018

In addition to the exploits reported by Shadooow i think i rememeber there is another exploit at character creation,it is related with conversation field.

yes thats exactly the "few more things I won't even mention because..." :smile:

nwscript doesn't know GetConversation so this is huge exploit and it could be abused greatly - that is why I proposed checking GetIsDM on DM wands... But there is more to this and despite you aůready named this issue, it is probably better if I say no more, publically at least...
  • DM_DjinnDM_Djinn Member Posts: 112
    edited June 2018
    I am to understand that EE made some changes to what acceptable inputs make up text.

Well, we had some items in our module using a particular markup that causes horrendous problems on EE servers.

Here's an example of the markup and text input on item, character or NPC that will reproduce this for you:

And here is an example of what the presence of an item like this key will do to a player character's bic file. It'll inflate the size so badly that connecting to the server crashes it or causes many players to disconnect.

FYI.
    Post edited by DM_Djinn on
    Egads, removing all of our color tags will suck. We haven't migrated yet, but I'd rather see that fixed than disabled. Have you redmined it?

-Dave
    EE sanitizes this input if it is entered into character generation fields, so the real risk is if you as a module builder have items which will be acquired by players that have colorized names or descriptions. There's a new supported input if I remember correctly, so I would read the patch notes for information on that feature so your module design can conform to EE supported input- we are lucky that we could just change a half dozen items and worry about other things.
    @DM_Djinn, I'm not seeing this in the stable build, 8176, running on linux (ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS). Are you running into the issue in the dev builds? Are you running a windows server?

Can you offer any other info on the issue? Maybe specific tags cause issues, but not tags in general?

I've tested several chars each with several items with different color coded tags in inventory under 8176, without reproducing your issue:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 nwnee nwnee 164855 Jul 1 04:20 absynthe.bic -rw-rw-r-- 1 nwnee nwnee 140794 Jul 1 04:32 rhapsodysanguine.bic

Thanks,
    -Dave

PS - Happy Canada Day everyone!
    Beware. There's an issue in 8186 where a player can create a serverside character with 255 in all attributes and attack bonus.

EE servers running this version are advised to code some on-entry scripts that will check for invalid or hacked characters.