Skip to content

Help me blood a youngster?

Hi.
I'm going to introduce my son to the game. He's pretty young though, so he's going to suck, especially as it'll be largely on tablets.
I figured one way to get around this would be to give him something of a simple and OP character, and quite liked the idea of a swashy / fighter multi with 2hs proficiencies.
I can't see a way to edit characters to give kits on Android, so I wondered if anyone with access to shadowkeeper wanted to make me a character? It would be massively appreciated :)
SkatanlolienAerakar

Comments

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

I think Swashie is a great choice full stop, (the keepering stuff I'll leave to somebody else).

For a younger player, a couple of things to keep in mind. They like to do "stuff", so opening locks, setting traps, stealing ect. helps to keep them engaged.

Also bows and arrows, especially in BG.
    I wouldn't go for 2HS, Varscona is the best sword in BG IMO. You can get it early and it will take you through the game and makes a reallly satisfying sound effect.
    Plus chances are they will want to take Minsc so 2hs are covered already.
    Aerakar
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Yeah, I like that thieves are interesting and useful enough to stand out in a group, but much less complex than eg Mage to play with. Plus swashes are actually resilient so if you've found yourself in a pickle you stand a better chance to get out than other thieves.

I was imagining they'd start with BG2 - I guess that's just a personal preference - which means sword of chaos and lilarcor dead early, and carsomyr and the silver sword later on.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Your name will go down in legend in the 359 household - this guy is perfect, thanks for putting him together. I love the portrait too, it's got loads of character for us to build up :)
    StummvonBordwehrGusinda
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited June 2018
    @pixie359, I went to take him for a little walk myself and found that I had forgotten to turn on the swashbuckling side of his personality... Here he is again with that gene on.

Gus
    Post edited by Gusinda on
    lolien
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2018
    @pixie359

Why make it easier? I think that what made us a fan of this game was the fact that it is hard and we had to discover how to make it easier through trial-and-error.

That's the exact same reason why Dark Souls and PUGB are games that have such a large base of young fans.

Just a non-requested insight.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    @Raduziel that really depends on how young we're talking here.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited June 2018
    Raduziel said:

@pixie359

Why make it easier? I think that what made us a fan of this game was the fact that it is hard and we had to discover how to make it easier through trial-and-error.

That's the exact same reason why Dark Souls and PUGB are games that have such a large base of young fans.

Just a non-requested insight.

First played BG when I was 5 or 6 (wanted to do the same as my big brothers and daddy), I rolled a mage (with dismal stats because I didn't know what these did at all) because I liked Gandalf in the Fellowship of the Ring, I literally struggled for years with this playthrough, I finished it when I was 9. Fortunately I had my father and brothers guiding me occasionally. And though difficulty was part of the charm, I remember getting kinda frustrated after trying to deal with the riddles and then the fight in the 2nd basement of Durlag's tower for 3 literal weeks. I could probably have used someone advising me wisely and making me a decent character for a first time :hushed:
    Post edited by Arunsun on
    ThacoBelllolien
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    We all play the way we enjoy, it is just a matter of choice. A char like this is a good way to learn the mechanics of the game and a F/T makes it fun.

Gus
    RaduzielArunsunlolien
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Just to clarify: I'm not saying that giving an OP CHARNAME is wrong. Of course you know your kid better than anyone else here.

Cheers :)
    AerakarGusindapixie359