Skip to content

Why shouid I buy this?

I just made an account to ask why i should buy nwnee,because i dont see it?

I am a proud owner of the diamond edition from gog and have extensively played the cAmpaigns and other modules in my day, and this installment adds barely anything that would justify the price tag.

Nwn being a more recent gAme works in modern resolutions and there are simply no new features that ee adds compared to vanilla diamond.

I am excited about potential things that coukd be added to a nwn experience,like 3.5 or 5th edition,more classes or even simple balance changes but your current version adds nothing exciting like that.

Maybe i am mistaking but nithing says "enhanced" about the current nwnee.

MAYBE i am wrong...please convince me,why should i buy or care about this?

Thank you

Comments

• TheSupremeForceTheSupremeForce Member Posts: 4
    If it doesn't offer anything you want (new content, EE PW's, fixes, etc), there's no reason to buy it. I bought it to support the idea of pumping life back into the game. Even if they hadn't fixed/added anything, I'd have felt like I got $20 out of it by now.
    sarevok57StummvonBordwehr
  • sandronejmsandronejm Member Posts: 70

I can't tell you why you should buy something but I can tell you why I bought something I hope it is of use to you.
    :)

@voidofopinion, very good answer!!!

@Kranyum, nwn:EE is more passional for Beamdog and not for getting cash. It's notable that NWN:EE could have new visible features, like new textures very notable. You are very right asking "why should I buy this" dear.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Probably the biggest selling point for me has been that NWN:EE works in high definition widescreen resolution on my HDTV. NWN Diamond Edition does not - attempting to play in any resolution but 800x600 crashes the game, and has done so on my current and past five computers. Even 800x600 crashes if I try to start it through GoG Galaxy. It has to be started directly from the .exe file.

What @voidofopinion said about the color saturation has also become important for me. I attempted to start a game in Diamond Edition recently for comparison's sake. It had to be in 800x600 resolution to work without crashing. The colors were so dull, it looked one step away from being in black and white. The contrasts were so bad, the picture seemed very fuzzy, like looking through water or smoke.

I am now permanently spoiled on the graphical and stability improvements in NWN:EE. At the maximum resolution, there is a UI size upscale feature that allows me to read the texts on my television without really bad eyestrain, which was a problem before.

They're still working out some things that NWN:EE needs to make it better, and it falls short of perfect at the current date. But I don't regret my purchase at all. I won't be able to go back to the Diamond Edition because of the reasons explained above.
    voidofopinion
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    edited June 2018
    Honestly, I've never had any problem with the original NWN: Diamond's resolution. It ran flawlessly for me at 1920x1080, and I never use EE's UI upscaling feature because I think its too big - considering I play on both a desktop and a laptop and not a TV like Void says he uses, then the UI scaling looking too big probably makes sense. The only issue with Diamond Edition's UI I had was that the chat log was a hair too short for the width of the screen, which EE did fix. I hope the future UI rework doesn't stray too much from NWN's current minimalist style, as I think its rather pleasing in its simplicity. The ability to move windows, and have more than 3 of them at a time, would be nice, though.

As for why I bought EE to support development of my favorite game that I've been playing since I was four; and from what I've seen from Beamdog, I absolutely love what I'm seeing. For example, the new feature of size, animation, and position scaling via script is an amazing step to me, as once they add collision radius scaling, a separate movement animation speed scalar, and a function that can modify the size category for creatures (admittedly its probably a lot to ask for, but I can dream) I'll be able to make miniature golems as wizard familiars, giant bats as dire bat companions, and enemies that have progressed in enough creature levels to go up a size category and properly obey the rules of their new size like in PnP.

More importantly though is that it's given me and my family a way to hang out together. It's revitalized my dad's interest in updating our little personal action PW, which we now play on almost daily with each other. It's been the most fun I've had with the game in years, honestly. It also serves as a personal testing ground for all my little gimmicky characters that I wouldn't be allowed to play in public. I don't think there's a server that would let me play a monodrone monk that was properly crit immune, fire and electrical resistant, and immune to mind effecting like they're apparently supposed to be. At least, based on the stats I found for them, anyway.
    voidofopinionsandronejmpscythe
  • GM_ODAGM_ODA Member Posts: 177

Built in NWNX support for persistant worlds.

HUH-what?!?!

https://www.beamdog.com/nwn_faq#14

The faq seems to say otherwise. What am I missing here? Isn't NWNx a system outside of NWN:EE - and because it uses memory injection methods - and memory locations change with the EE version has to adapt to the new with each version of NWN:EE?
    RifleLeroyvoidofopinion
  • tfoxtfox Member Posts: 87
    GM_ODA said:

Built in NWNX support for persistant worlds.

HUH-what?!?!

https://www.beamdog.com/nwn_faq#14

The faq seems to say otherwise. What am I missing here? Isn't NWNx a system outside of NWN:EE - and because it uses memory injection methods - and memory locations change with the EE version has to adapt to the new with each version of NWN:EE?
    Yeah, you aren't wrong, that said NWNx has some of Beamdog best employee's working heavily on it in their free time, who are always very helpful with questions regarding it and assisting folks in getting the NWN:EE version of NWNx up and working along side providing on going support for it.

I suspect Void was referring to how some features of original NWNx that make sense to be in the base game rather then NWNx are being merged very slowly into the base game, I couldn't really say.
    voidofopinion
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    tfox said:

I suspect Void was referring to how some features of original NWNx that make sense to be in the base game rather then NWNx are being merged very slowly into the base game, I couldn't really say.

This.

But try writing all those details on a tablet.

Some things in my response were truncated and simplified as everything NWN:EE adds and how, is quite a complex story.

You have modders working with devs. Devs hiring modders. Projects being build alongside NWN:EE. Professional teams releasing modules. Parts of tools being included in NWN:EE proper.

It's all quite incestuous.

But yeah, in short some parts of popular modders tools are being added to NWN:EE. Some popular tools are being developed alongside NWN:EE with help from Beamdog. Some tools are being developed on their own.

But NWNX and Beamdog are working incredibly closely to bring as much of that functionality as possible to NWN:EE. Which is a fantastic prospect for the PW community.

:)
    DerpCityStummvonBordwehrbleusteeldTd
  • bonebrahbonebrah Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2018
    -Runs on modern systems better than it has before. Anecdotally, diamond was choppy on both of my PC's and NWN:EE is smooth as butter

-Multiplayer works out of the box, community more alive than ever with plenty of servers/types to pick from

-Graphical enhancements look good, UI Scaling makes playing without a magnifying glass possible at high resolutions

-Premium DLC modules that were previously removed from the bioware store are now legally available (and backwards compatible if you owned it before). Also, Darkness of Daggerford was just released and more premium modules to come, huge win for the community and the DoD dev's.

-Steam Workshop integration

-Ongoing support, above and beyond what was originally advertised justifying moreso the slightly higher purchase price than the diamond version. That is, NwN: EE Is going to be the currently supported version of the game going forward. I know there is a lot of "in the works" stuff, but Diamond is quickly becoming obsolete.
    DrakonBelgarathMTH
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    for me it fixes the bugs that were in the gog version

-movies not playing properly

- the menus and tool bar being transparent.
    BelgarathMTH
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    Is it compatible with the Prestige Class Compendium?