Skip to content

Intel Crashes, 3 month passed and still not fixed.

h3x4h3x4 Member Posts: 9
edited June 2018 in Technical Support
I was excited to buy NWN:EE and play on my laptop. Now I can't do it due to Intel card crash bug , and I cannot play with my friends on Arelith for three month now
Crash on Intel integrated cards is a serious issue, which I am sure affects a lot of users. I do not understand why it hasn't been resolved yet? I mean Jewish saying "If a problem can be solved by money it is not a problem", meaning beamdog isn't very well motivated to fix it.

I honestly think intel users - consumers, that do have same issue should be compensated because it is Beamdogs fault that they cannot play on their favorite multiplayer servers since everyone moved to NWN:EE.

Please give it a thought Beamdog, because after three month things like "we are working on it with Intel engineers" starts to lose its weight as an excuse for such serious issue.

Comments

• invader_nyminvader_nym Member Posts: 10
    Interestingly, every piece of software I've run on my $1,300 brand-new laptop seems to work fine except for this game. The claim that it's intel's fault seems dubious when the issue is isolated to your game.

Did you not test this game on Intel laptops prior to release? If not, why not? If you did, why not release the fact that it was incompatible before hand?

This is a tough pill to swallow given pretty much the only selling point for the re-release of this game was increased compatibility with modern machines.

I paid 35 to down-grade to an unplayable product. This doesn't reflect well on Beamdog.
    Honestly, if this was a problem with Intel why did Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition work perfectly?
    RifleLeroy
  • LottiLotti Member Posts: 66
    If the crash is reproducible on your laptop, Beamdog offers to buy it from you to investigate the issue. See last stream.
    JuliusBorisovSylvus_MoonbowProont
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

Did you not test this game on Intel laptops prior to release?

It's limited to a few chipsets. We have been unable to reproduce the crash in a consistent manner in the office on our laptops so we could trap the cause.

We want to fix the Intel issue, but it’s incredibly hard to debug something we have no symbols for and no valid/reliable repro hardware.

Intel themselves have managed to reproduce the crash but still haven't found a solution.

If you can reproduce Intel GPU-related crashes in NWN:EE regularly and reliably on your laptop, contact us, and we may buy it (on the condition it's a local 100% crash repro, the "click here to crash"-type of crash)! It’ll help us understand what part of content in the game is causing crashes and performance issues on Intel laptops.

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/06/june-22-livestream-recap.html
    GreenWarlockGrond0Sylvus_MoonbowdTd
    Lenovo Yoga 720 13IKB

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name DESKTOP-QA45JMI
    System Manufacturer LENOVO
    System Model 81C3
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU LENOVO_MT_81C3_BU_idea_FM_YOGA 720-13IKB
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 1YCN39WW(V2.06), 2018-03-16
    SMBIOS Version 3.0
    Embedded Controller Version 2.39
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer LENOVO
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Mobile
    Secure Boot State Off
    PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale Canada
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.17134.1"
    I can't sell you my laptop. It's highly reproducible and in fact happens in the exact same locations on my favorite persistent world.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @invader_nym it is a little discussed dark secret of the industry that hardware is simply software you cannot change, and come with its own bugs. Beamdog can correctly write code to the specification for the hardware, the DirectX API, etc., and it might still not work on a specific iteration of a chipset. Many video drivers are full of workarounds for exactly these kinds of issues, but if you are not a top-selling title, the pressure on the video driver folks to investigate and patch is much lower. It still happens, but not at the same rate as finding an issue that affects Fortnite, for example. With luck, a patch for one of those other games also squashes your issue, but if you are unlucky, the driver will check that you are playing a game known to expose the bug before applying the patch at runtime, as it would also affect performance.

If NWN is having problems with a very specific iteration of the Intel chipset, it could be very hard for both Intel and Beamdog to track down the specific issue, and without its cause, it is remarkably difficult to come up with an effective patch.

I hate to be a Beamdog appologist ;) but this is a real reason that closed ecosystems like consoles and the Apple environment are much simpler to support - and even they struggle!
    dTd
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085

I can't sell you my laptop. It's highly reproducible and in fact happens in the exact same locations on my favorite persistent world.

Nice, that will be super helpful then.

- Name of PW.
    - IP of PW.
    - Link to associated PW haks.
    - Name of area in PW that the crash happens in the exact same location.
    - Name of area in PW you are area transitioning from to the area which crashes.

Beamdog has live streamed PWs in the past, surely with that information provided, they too would be able to reproduce the crash in the exact same location. Maybe you could even show them directly to the area in question.
    edited June 2018
    Arelith. No haks. I crash every time I try to go into Bendir Dale.

I sometimes crash in the arcane tower if there's a lot of people in it.

I just checked my bin folder and I have like 20 crash reports.
    Post edited by invader_nym on
    It doesn't seem to matter how I approach these areas. I seem to crash from every transition.

Bendir Dale seems to be the quintessential example. It has four routes in and I crash no matter what.

I'll add that there are spontaneous crashes that don't occur at transitions as well.
    I think the random crashes occur sometimes when creatures/players enter my field of view. Often I'll come around a corner where an NPC is and the game will crash before the NPC fades into view.
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    Sounds like a texture loading issue to me, even with nvidia graphics there can be a delay as some enemies/creatures come into view. One question, I wonder if it's the models themselves, like the CEP Kuo Toa (sorry I don't know the original author or I'd have named and thanked them)?
    Weirdly, there is an underdark server (titled Cities and Planes), and when I'm in the underdark I virtually never crash. I can't remember the last time I did. Don't know if that's helpful in any way.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • PoeticalPoetical Member Posts: 3
    Has this fix been rolled out to everyone? I tried using it earlier but the majority of online servers, including Arelith which is the one I'm experiencing the issue with?