Skip to content

Sanctum of the Archmage: Enhanced Edition

Comments

• AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 147
    Andarian said:

The only major impediment now is the need to re-make the soundtrack to deal with the audio bug. I can't just keep waiting for it to be fixed, but I still have a lot of BMUs to re-make to work around it. Then I need to update the documentation, and after that, re-package the mods for release.

So what you're saying then, is we can expect the release in a few days? :)
    Take your time, friend Andarian! We'll be patiently waiting for it, no worries!

Andarian
  • AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
    Some (hopefully temporary) bad news: My gaming rig died a couple of days ago, so for the time being I don't have a computer I can continue building and testing Sanctum EE on. That work's going to have to be delayed until I can sort that all out. It's looking like a blown CPU and/or motherboard, so it's not likely to be a quick or easy fix. I haven't had a chance to check the drives yet, but there's no indication they're damaged. Fortunately, my backup drives seem intact, so worst case everything I was working on should be recoverable eventually. I'll follow up when I'm able to resume development and testing.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    Ouch, sorry to hear that. I have had that happen to me and know how much it a real pain. I glad you have you backup work intact. I lost some of mine when it happened. Here hoping you be back up with as little pain as possible.
    JFKAndarianAtrophiederic
    Well, that's pretty crappy. Good that you have viable backups. Good lucks to you in getting the rig up and running/getting a new rig!
    AndarianDrakon
    edited May 2018
    Just a heads-up on my status: I'm just about done with my computer re-build. If all goes according to plan it should be done this weekend. After that, I should be able to get back to final testing, and releasing the EE version of Sanctum 1 & 2.

Just to clarify, here are my plans:

1. Release Sanctum EE on the Neverwinter Vault. ETA: End of May.
    2. Update Sanctum EE for release on Steam. That will take longer since I have to work out the logistics of getting permission for the fairly large amount of CC that the modules use. No ETA on that, since I don't know how to predict how long it will take. It'll get done when it gets done. :)
    3. Continue work on Sanctum 3. That will definitely take a while; no prediction on a release date for that.

In parallel to my Sanctum modding work, and for those interested, I'm also continuing work on the novels:

1. Editing and re-releasing a new edition of Prologue to Chaos and Dawn of Chaos.
    2. Continue working of the next of the Sanctum novels, Wrath of the Peregrine King.

- Andarian
    ronaldoJFKAtrophiedericaarionn
    Thanks for keeping us in the loop, friend @Andarian !
    Andarian
    Update: My computer re-build is complete and running fine. I'll be getting back to testing Sanctum EE: this weekend. :)
    Atrophiederic
    Yay! Great news, friend @Andarian!
    Andarian
    edited May 2018
    The tests continue! I spent a little time tweaking the revamped crafting system as I went, and I think it's just about what I want now. I also added a new feature that I think players who crush it in the relationship with Robin will like. ;)

Getting close to done with chapter 1, and then on to chapter 2! On track for an early to mid-June release on the Vault. :)
    Atrophiederic
    edited June 2018
    Testing of Chapter One is complete. Aside from a few minor fixes and turning up what I think is an easily patched bug in the latest CEP, it looks good to go.

Next step is to test Chapter 2, which is shorter and should be easier to get through. With luck I should be starting to package the upload to the Vault this weekend. :)
    pscythethirdmouse
    edited September 2021
    Testing for Sanctum of the Archmage: Enhanced Edition is now complete! I still have to update the documentation, and then package and upload the new files to the Neverwinter Vault. That’ll take a few days to a week, depending on my schedule.

Sanctum: EE is being released first on the Neverwinter Vault. Once that’s done, I’m planning to prepare a release on Steam as well. For more information, check on my blog here.

March of the Guardians
    March of the Guardians
    Post edited by Andarian on
    pscytheBelgarathMTHmegamike15aarionn
    edited June 2018
    Sanctum of the Archmage: Enhanced Edition is now available on the Saga's modules page on the Neverwinter Vault! See the comment here for details and what to download. :)
    pscytheronaldoaarionn
    edited June 2018
    Andarian said:

Sanctum of the Archmage: Enhanced Edition is now available on the Saga's modules page on the Neverwinter Vault! See the comment here for details and what to download. :)

It's been three weeks now, and there's been no feedback on the release at all -- either here, or on the module page. Has it somehow gone unnoticed? Or is there no interest in new and updated mods in the series?
  • try01try01 Member Posts: 1
    Personally, I replayed it many times, and waiting for the next module to replay again
    Andarian
  • MorwinyonMorwinyon Member Posts: 4
    I've started to replay the series, but it might take a while until I have time to finish Ch2, especially since I've spent about 1/4 of game time tinkering with the crafting system. Turns out that the game is much easier and the characters die less often if I use the resources at my disposal instead of hoarding them. Who knew? ;) I'm also trying the love triangle/rectangle route for the first time. Should be interesting.
    Andarian
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    I plan to give it a go after I finish DoD.
    Andarian
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for the feedback! It's good to know folks are playing/re-playing the update. Slight spoiler hint: If you haven't noticed it yet, check Robin's "Can I talk to you" dialogue for a new option. It's hard to qualify for early in the game, but I thought players might like it...
    Morwinyon said:

I've started to replay the series, but it might take a while until I have time to finish Ch2, especially since I've spent about 1/4 of game time tinkering with the crafting system. Turns out that the game is much easier and the characters die less often if I use the resources at my disposal instead of hoarding them. Who knew? ;)

*Broad Grin*. :) Yes, that's even kind of intentional. The game is partly balanced around the resources available from the shopping and treasure systems. The new version takes that up a notch with the re-writes to the XP and crafting systems (and I confess that I may have gotten a little carried away with the latter...) I had to do it anyway to test, but I still found it easy to get lost experimenting with the new crafting system. With the new cool stuff you can make and the cash you can get from selling what you don't need, it's straightforward to equip your team to the point where the game becomes a lot easier to manage.
    Morwinyon said:

I'm also trying the love triangle/rectangle route for the first time. Should be interesting.

I think you'll like it, and I wish I could have done more with it in the first two modules. I had/have a bit more planned for Chapter 3, including a couple of new romance prospects to stir things up a bit more... >:)
    Morwinyon
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    edited July 2018
    So I started this module today and have so far cleared the first floor of the Ruins. I did play this module back when it was *first* released, but sadly, my memory only retains a few bits and pieces. It's been really smooth sailing so far.

I'm always amazed by how great modules with some of this community content looks. It totally elevates the game to a whole new level. Combat is well balanced on the default hard. I'll get killed pretty quickly if I'm being careless/reckless, but it's not frustrating if I take the time to use a bit of strategy. I'm also enjoying the survival game aspects... You can win every fight, but find yourself running out of food if you don't manage what's available well. I haven't encountered this situation, but I'm always aware if could happen if I abuse rest faster than I find new nums.

Edit:

Ok, I"m stuck, the Door at the East end of Secure Area West is locked, and I can't find a key anywhere,,, (including the spoilers cheat sheet.)
    Post edited by rashkae on
    Andarian
    rashkae said:

Ok, I"m stuck, the Door at the East end of Secure Area West is locked, and I can't find a key anywhere,,, (including the spoilers cheat sheet.)

Sorry for the delayed response — I missed the edit.

SPOILER WARNING

You’ll need the Guardian Key. In the northeast corner of the transfiguration chamber (near the remains of the Soul-Drinker’s stasis cube) you’ll find the remains of an ancient guardian crushed by fallen rubble. The key is in there. I’ll add that to the spoiler file for the next release.

END SPOILER
  • XorinaXorina Member Posts: 138
    edited July 2018
    Oddly the first picture reminds me of the Adam & Eve story, particularly when it mentions vision, one of the stories' main themes - or have I been watching too much Dr Jordan B. Peterson? :smile:

This is a luscious, rich module with astonishingly evocative art and 'matte paintings', if you will. Superb! I will get my hands on this as soon as it's available.
    Andarian
    edited July 2018
    Xorina said:

This is a luscious, rich module with astonishingly evocative art and 'matte paintings', if you will. Superb! I will get my hands on this as soon as it's available.

Thanks for the very kind words, Xorina! Just one clarification, though: the EE version of Chapters 1 and 2 was released on June 6th, so they are available now if you want to get your hands on them. :) You can find download information here:

https://neverwintervault.org/comment/44512#comment-44512

Cheers - Andarian
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    Andarian said:

SPOILER WARNING

You’ll need the Guardian Key. In the northeast corner of the transfiguration chamber (near the remains of the Soul-Drinker’s stasis cube) you’ll find the remains of an ancient guardian crushed by fallen rubble. The key is in there. I’ll add that to the spoiler file for the next release.

END SPOILER

Got it, thanks. I actually thought of that, but the rubble/debris blocks the path to the container, so I did not realize there was one without repeated attempts to position character just right for it to work.

Andarian
    edited July 2018
    rashkae said:

Got it, thanks. I actually thought of that, but the rubble/debris blocks the path to the container, so I did not realize there was one without repeated attempts to position character just right for it to work.

Thanks for the feedback! I should probably do something about adjusting the position of that to make it easier to reach, especially since it contains a plot-critical item. Maybe I'll make the rubble bashable, too. I usually do that with semi-blocking placeables so that you can always get them out of your way if necessary.
  • aarionnaarionn Member Posts: 94
    Downloading the module from Vault! I must say for the last 2 months I was just checking steam workshop for updated modules and missed your updates!
    Thx very much for hard work! I hope you are enjoying making module as much we enjoy playing them. I wish there would be a way for modders like you and savant and many others to be "properly' awarded somehow...
    Andarian
    @Andarian
    I am installing your modules right now. Just one question. Where does shader file bloom.cgfx from NWNCQ Patch file goes?

Also, just bought your 2 books on Amazon (kindle). Looking forward to read it, but have question if I should play modules before reading or I can just dive into the books right away? :)

Also, I think you need to make modules available on the STEAM workshop. Although I was used for 10+ years to use nwvault and manual install, I welcomed STEAM workshop option. I think lot of people that are coming now to the NWN world check only steam workshop.

You can ask @Savant1974 about setting it up. I think his Aileund saga got a lot of traction through the steam workshop.

Also I think you and @Savant1974 should make JV and make new modules together. Should be premium quality and you could get the contract from Trent and Beamdog to make it premium content where you could also get paid for you hard work.

Off course, we would expect more books from you also :)

Thx for your hard work.
    Best,
    Aa
    Andarian
    edited August 2018
    Thanks for your very kind words, @aarionn !
    aarionn said:

Where does shader file bloom.cgfx from NWNCQ Patch file goes?

I don't actually use the shader file for Sanctum, so you don't need to install it. From what I can gather it was developed for another NWN tool that I'm not familiar with (and which is likely obselete for NWN:EE anyway).
    Also, just bought your 2 books on Amazon (kindle). Looking forward to read it, but have question if I should play modules before reading or I can just dive into the books right away? :)

Thank you very much for your interest! They were written so that you can do them in either order. The books take place 2-3 years before the opening of the first module, and they tell a major part of the backstory to it. There's a core event that you'll learn about in the first few scenes of the first mod, which sets the stage for the entire series; that event is what the books are about. If you want to read them chronologically I'd start with the books, but I think they work in either order. (One caveat: the mods do "spoil" a couple of events from the books, so if you want to avoid that I'd read the books first.)
    Also, I think you need to make modules available on the STEAM workshop. Although I was used for 10+ years to use nwvault and manual install, I welcomed STEAM workshop option. I think lot of people that are coming now to the NWN world check only steam workshop. You can ask @Savant1974 about setting it up. I think his Aileund saga got a lot of traction through the steam workshop.

I agree, and this is something that I have been working on. The complication is that Sanctum uses a lot of custom content (e.g. tilesets) developed by other modders, which I'm uncomfortable with the idea of re-packaging and uploading from the Vault to Steam without at least trying to get their permission first. I'm working on that, but it is a bit of a challenge. There's been some discussion on the Vault about developing an easier way to handle this, such as with a Steam-listable one-click installer that would pull files from the Vault.

I appreciate your helping to make me more aware, though, that many players may have gotten into the habit of only checking the Steam workshop for new work. That probably explains why the Sanctum release seems to have gotten so much less attention than I'd expected. I'll see what I can do about addressing that, and keep the thread updated with my progress.
    Also I think you and @Savant1974 should make JV and make new modules together. Should be premium quality and you could get the contract from Trent and Beamdog to make it premium content where you could also get paid for your hard work.

Thank you very much for saying that. Given my respect for Savant's work, I consider it especially high praise.

I do have a long-standing passion for narrative storytelling through both prose and game technology. So for the record, I'd certainly be interested in an opportunity to join a team working on developing a premium module. Much as I'd like to try to organize something like that myself, though, it would be a challenge to combine it with my modding and writing -- which at least currently, I have to do in my spare time from an already demanding full-time job as a software engineer and data scientist.
    Thx for your hard work.
    Best,
    Aa

You're very welcome!

Cheers -- Andarian
    Post edited by Andarian on
    Savant1974aarionn
    @Andarian
    Thank you for your answers.

I will start with "Prologue to Chaos" and continue with the "Dawn of Chaos" and with the first module together. I presume I will be ahead with the book anyhow as I have more time to read than to play right now.

Yeah, I saw when I was installing you mods that there are a lot of 3rd party content and understand the difficulties you are facing. But I think that is something you really need to do in order for your series to be played more. Savant made a really good move in placing his mods on the workshop early.

I think that NWN community (pre EE release) already played a lot of modules (and yours also). The traffic on nwvault was not great pre EE release also. In my opinion everyone must embrace EE version and use resources that are available through steam to get as much as possible from their work. Look at the PWs. A lot of them was reluctant in the beginning, but now almost all major servers are EE. And they are seeing additional traffic and players. Which is great.

With regards to opportunity to work on developing some premium modules, you should watch the latest (July 27th) Beamdog stream (you have it on youtube). They had Alan Miranda from Ossian Studios (maker of premium modules for NWN DoD). Maybe you can contact him. They, as far as I understood, do not have offices but work online through the collaboration tools. Could be a good chance to see what is possible. I am sure they will make more premium modules in the future.

So, now I am going to read your prologue and tonight I am starting with the first book and game :smile:

Best,
    Aa
    Andarian
    @Andarian Forgot to mention that Beamdog will release NWN on Android and iOS. That is why it is important to somehow be able to have your modules easily accessible. You have also books to sell, which are sadly nowadays very cheap (1-5 eur/$) and you need larger audience to fulfill your business model.
    It all adds up imho.
    Andarian
    edited July 2018
    aarionn said:

Yeah, I saw when I was installing you mods that there are a lot of 3rd party content and understand the difficulties you are facing. But I think that is something you really need to do in order for your series to be played more. Savant made a really good move in placing his mods on the workshop early... In my opinion everyone must embrace EE version and use resources that are available through steam to get as much as possible from their work. Look at the PWs. A lot of them was reluctant in the beginning, but now almost all major servers are EE. And they are seeing additional traffic and players...

Beamdog will release NWN on Android and iOS. That is why it is important to somehow be able to have your modules easily accessible. You have also books to sell... and you need larger audience to fulfill your business model. It all adds up imho.

You're preaching to the choir about that. :smile: I've had a Steam release of Sanctum planned (see earlier posts in the thread) since workshop availability for the EE was announced. It will happen, but the time to finish it is something that I have to work in with my other projects and responsibilities. I also lost the better part of two months re-building my gaming rig from a devastating crash this spring, which didn't exactly help my release schedule. :(