Skip to content

Bugs in v 1.3?

NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
On a run in v 1.3 when encountering enemy mages/casters I notice that once they get struck on the onset of casting a spell they tend to follow through in spite of getting hit. Has mechanics always been like this?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Some spells are forced by scripts in the AI and can't be interrupted. This has been around since vanilla BG.
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    @ThacoBell

Also coming to notice that particularly on insane if a player is managing the party well and comes to a battle where spacing is needed enemies will literally be spawned to crowd the party within seconds of areas where they were previously present.

For instance Party A was in area X to fight 1 orgrillon. They backpeddle slightly to get range then 6 war dogs appear from nowhere after scouting pre-battle. C'mon now.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    ThacoBell said:

Some spells are forced by scripts in the AI and can't be interrupted. This has been around since vanilla BG.

Also, I believe casting from a scroll can't be interrupted, either.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2018
    Yes, though I don't imagine there are many cases of enemies casting from scrolls. If there is any it is probably only in EE content.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Noloir said:

@ThacoBell

Also coming to notice that particularly on insane if a player is managing the party well and comes to a battle where spacing is needed enemies will literally be spawned to crowd the party within seconds of areas where they were previously present.

For instance Party A was in area X to fight 1 orgrillon. They backpeddle slightly to get range then 6 war dogs appear from nowhere after scouting pre-battle. C'mon now.

That's when things get fun. :D

I would think that's because you are on "insane", things are meant to be tough.

TBH I wish that would happen more often as the best battles are when unexpected things get thrown at you.
    (if you survive of course)

Noloir said:

@ThacoBell

That's when things get fun. :D

I would think that's because you are on "insane", things are meant to be tough.

TBH I wish that would happen more often as the best battles are when unexpected things get thrown at you.
    (if you survive of course)
    With the goal of doing a full party no re-load, no death, no meta-gaming save Evermemory and "maybe" a Ring of Princes run it seems neigh impossible. Wouldn't be challenging otherwise.
    @UnderstandMouseMagic

The interesting aspect about playing on insane though is that it creates opportunities to use personally made custom items from NI/DLTCEP in unconventional ways.

For instance my Cleric/Mage charname has a flail with a secondary ranged ability that throws acid trap glyphs that stun enemies for 7 seconds with the potential for inflicting miscast magic at save vs spell @ 0. Acid damage identical to the acid dart at save vs spell @ 0 also.

Though seemingly powerful the range ThaC0 is identical to his basic melee thac0 so it's fairly hit and miss or miss and miss at times. Plus if allies are in range of the glyph explosion they're subjected to the same effects! Makes for a unique playthrough.
  • RaginrRaginr Member Posts: 11
    First of all: Hi, I am Ragnir :wink:

second: I scanned this forum for my problem, but I can not find an answer or solution to it.
    I recently bought BGEE, IDEE and PTEE for nostalgia reasons. While IDEE & PTEE work just fine, BGEE has a problem:
    certain Items (so far only those from the DLC) , for instance the "mace of stupefying", appear only as placeholders in their description. Just a text that says it is a mace +1, placeholder and a list "not usable by"
    I am playing in English, so no translation problems. But i installed Cdtweaks.
    One of the posts in this forum mentions, this mod can create problems, so I made a clean re-install without Cdtweaks and started again - same problem. I am using the Steam version.
    If Screenshots are needed, I am happy to add them.
    Raginr said:

First of all: Hi, I am Ragnir :wink:

second: I scanned this forum for my problem, but I can not find an answer or solution to it.
    I recently bought BGEE, IDEE and PTEE for nostalgia reasons. While IDEE & PTEE work just fine, BGEE has a problem:
    certain Items (so far only those from the DLC) , for instance the "mace of stupefying", appear only as placeholders in their description. Just a text that says it is a mace +1, placeholder and a list "not usable by"
    I am playing in English, so no translation problems. But i installed Cdtweaks.
    One of the posts in this forum mentions, this mod can create problems, so I made a clean re-install without Cdtweaks and started again - same problem. I am using the Steam version.
    If Screenshots are needed, I am happy to add them.

If you own the game through Steam or GoG, you need to use modmerge before you install any mods.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1

Also make sure you are using Tweaks Anthology and not an older version of it.
    Hello Elminster. Thank you for your quick answer.
    So is there a difference between BGEE and IDEE? Because with Icewind Dale, the Installer of Tweaks Anthology (Yes, I am using the youngest version I could find) worked just fine.
    The way Siege of Dragonspear is packaged with Steam and GoG installs means that it is necessary to use it if you want to use most mods. Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition doesn't have this issue because it is not DLC.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    edited July 2018
    @elminster @Raginr Or, the more preferable solution is to simply install more elegant solution which is normal WeiDU mod: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71305/mod-dlc-merger-merge-steam-gog-sod-dlc-or-custom-dlcs-with-the-main-game before anything else when you are using Steam/GoG editions with SoD.

You guys are great! Thank you, working as intended now.