Skip to content

Turald NPC Mod - ver. 0.9

SinaheribSinaherib Member Posts: 38
edited September 2021 in IWD:EE Mods

Overview
This mod adds a new recruitable companion to Icewind Dale: EE - dwarven wandering priest of Marthammor Duin Turald Ironfist. It was created as an addition to Kulyok's NPCs, though it can be played as a separate mod as well. The idea behind this project was to create a person who would look at the events of the game from the dwarven point of view and who will also be significanlty older than characters from IWD NPC Project. Turald MOD contains dialogs with main character, interjections, player-initiated talks and crossmod content with Kulyok's NPCs and LavaDelVortel's Dusky.

Character info
Name: Turald
Race: Dwarf
Class: Fighter/cleric
Alignment: Neutral Good
Romance: No

Current status
The first proofreading was made so I decided to release the first beta version of mod. Currently it contains full content for vanilla game and should be fully playable, though there still may be some bugs (inform me of any problems, please), especially since this is my first modding experience. Thank you for your attention and any feedback is welcome!

Art by Aerenwyn (commissioned by me for this mod)

==Download link==
Post edited by Sinaherib on
SharGuidesMyHandAedanRaduzielronaldololienGusindaEekanImpmashedtatersMirandelJuliusBorisovDJKajurusmeagolheartilduderinoinethbonewhiteglory

Comments

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

I'm always grateful for anyone who makes an NPC mod for IWD. With such an abundance of NPC mods for the BG games, it's a bit disappointing that such comparatively few have been made for IWD.

AedanSinaherib
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Good! Expect a PM from me in the future! :)
    AedanSinaherib
  • SinaheribSinaherib Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2018

I'm always grateful for anyone who makes an NPC mod for IWD. With such an abundance of NPC mods for the BG games, it's a bit disappointing that such comparatively few have been made for IWD.

Thanks. Indeed, it was absolutely different experience when I played IWD with NPC project. I understand that the idea of IWD is creating absolutely custom party, but playing with pre-made companions, who have personalities is also great. I still hope more mods will appear later.

I myself plan to create a couple more NPC (first of all - arcane spellcasters), but first Turald needs to be finished.
    Raduziel said:

Good! Expect a PM from me in the future! :)

Thank you! :)
    Post edited by Sinaherib on
    AedanRaduziel
    Hello again!
    I decided to release the first playable beta version of mod.
    RVNS
  • Fulsom2121Fulsom2121 Member Posts: 25
    Can you pack the zip file without the extra subfolder? I mean in the way that you can directly extract the mod folder and the setup-exe to the game folder. Now when you extract you have it all in an extra wrapper.

Can you pack the zip file without the extra subfolder? I mean in the way that you can directly extract the mod folder and the setup-exe to the game folder. Now when you extract you have it all in an extra wrapper.

Yes, I changed the file.
    Updated to version 0.9 - fixed some grammar errors and misprints.
    Raduziel
  • DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    Sounds awesome! Always happy to see more Icewind Dale NPCs :)
    Sinaherib
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    That's pretty nifty. I look forward to that.
    Sinaherib
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Congratulations! It is a very nice and ambitious project. IWD definitely needs more mods!
    Sinaherib
  • ApocryphaApocrypha Member Posts: 105
    Oh man, that project sounds awesome!!! And the portraits are lovely (Aerenwyn does great work).
    Lawful Good, Lawful Neutral, Neutral Good, and two Neutral Evils...to be mixed-and-matched with the various Good and Neutral NPCs of IWD NPC and Dusky...curious to see how they'll all get along!

Questions:
    - Will you be including the option to change their classes at installation? It seems to have the opposite of IWD NPCs, with lots of casters/ranged chars and few melee chars. Since you've got crossmod content with IWD NPcs and Dusky, the PC's class shouldn't be *as* restricted if they want a full party of bantering characters, but some might want to try these five new ones all at once.
    - Is there Heart of Winter content planned/written? Sorry if that sounds stupid, but I'm not sure how much "interjections"/"banters" covers.
    - Romances y/n?
    Sinaherib
    edited January 2019
    Sinaherib said:

Greetings everyone!
    Hope you had a very good holidays!

I kept on working on modding the recent months and want to make an announcment.

"Turald NPC" is going to become a part of a bigger mod "Heroes of Icewind Dale" which will add 5 joinable NPC total, each one with their story, banters and interjections, as well as crossmod content with Kulyok's characters.

Besides Turald, the mod will contains the following chars:

Name: Vazarius
    Race: Human
    Class: Mage
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Name: Shinala
    Race: Half-orc
    Class: Shaman
    Alignment: Neutral Evil

Name: Kira
    Race: Human
    Class: Sorcerer
    Alignment: Lawful Good

Name: Kastor
    Race: Drow
    Class: Assassin
    Alignment: Neutral Evil
    (He doesn't have custom portrait yet, so I temporary use the one from the original game)

All portraits (except Kastor's of course) we commissioned by me for this mod.

The work goes smoothly, I'm writing and testing the new characters and keep on fixing some minor bugs and typos in Turald's dialogs.

That's the news for now.
    Thank you for your attention and have a nice day!
    Can't wait!! ??

However, one question:
    Does one of the NPCs being a shaman mean that the most recent version of IWD:EE will have to be installed?

Sinaherib
    Thanks for kind words, everyone! I appreciate it :)
    Aedan said:

Congratulations! It is a very nice and ambitious project. IWD definitely needs more mods!

Thanks! I agree - IWD has big potential for modding.
    Apocrypha said:

- Will you be including the option to change their classes at installation? It seems to have the opposite of IWD NPCs, with lots of casters/ranged chars and few melee chars. Since you've got crossmod content with IWD NPcs and Dusky, the PC's class shouldn't be *as* restricted if they want a full party of bantering characters, but some might want to try these five new ones all at once.

I'll consider that. There may be some variations, as long as they fit character's background. For example, Shinala is a shaman, but fighter/cleric class may still work for her. But of course such possibilities are limited.
    Apocrypha said:

- Is there Heart of Winter content planned/written? Sorry if that sounds stupid, but I'm not sure how much "interjections"/"banters" covers.

I plan to add HoW content as well, but my current goal is to create full content for vanilla game.
    Apocrypha said:

- Romances y/n?

Yes, there are romances with Kira (for males) and Kastor (for females). I still think if Shinala should have a romance too.

Does one of the NPCs being a shaman mean that the most recent version of IWD:EE will have to be installed?

The shaman class does require recent version of IWD:EE, but as I mentioned above, I may add alternate classes to her (fighter/cleric or cleric)

ApocryphaDawglicious
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    one of the issues with iwd is that it pretty much felt like a one and done when it was just the iwd npc mod. now with this and lava dusky the replayblity will raise to about the same as the npc project for iwd 2. that is assuming these new npcs being added also get cross mod with iwd npc and dusky.
    @megamike15 That's right, there will be crossmod content.

Like it was mentioned before, this mod can be considered as an opposite or an expansion to IWD NPC Project, since one of its aims is to cover classes/alignments/races that weren't featured there. When I began working on HoIWD I made about 10 drafts of characters to choose from but in the end decided to leave most warrors (such as paladin, fighter, ranger) aside because IWDNPC already offers enough of them and it is better to focus on other classes.

Another my goal is to create different kinds of relationship between characters. NPCProject created the heartwarming atmosphere of friendship, so I intend to add possibilities for tensions and conflicts. It doesn't mean new NPC will bicker all the time, of course, but not all them will get along well with each other and with other companions. For example, Shinala belongs to one of barbarian tribes and considers druids of Kuldahar traitors for letting colonist settle in the roots of the Great Tree. Of course, it will lead to serious tensions between her and Nella. Turald, on the other hand, befriends Nella. In other words, sometimes there can form strong bond, sometimes - hostility. Or something in between.
    megamike15DJKajuruEekanImp

Counting down the days until the new mod is released! :)

Sorry to be a pest, but how is progress on the new mod?

I'm currently working on arcane spellcasters (Kira and Vazarius). It is too early to talk about exact release time, but I hope to finish the first version of the mod by the end of the summer (time will tell though). Right now I'm trying to work on the mod every day.

In the meantime I think about posting a kind of "meet the character" info, where I'll tell a bit more about each new NPC.
    SharGuidesMyHand
    Sinaherib wrote: »

I'm currently working on arcane spellcasters (Kira and Vazarius). It is too early to talk about exact release time, but I hope to finish the first version of the mod by the end of the summer (time will tell though). Right now I'm trying to work on the mod every day.

In the meantime I think about posting a kind of "meet the character" info, where I'll tell a bit more about each new NPC.

Thanks for all your hard work on the mod! I would love a "meet the characters" thing!
    Hello!

I would like to announce that Deities of Faerûn now has a special component that gives the Trailblazer of Marthammor Duin kit to Turald!

Hope you guys enjoy it!
    GusindaDJKajurulolien
    Sinaherib wrote: »

Thanks for the update!

Do you have a custom image for Kastor yet, or are you keeping that a secret for the release of the mod?
    Apocrypha wrote: »
    Thanks for all your hard work on the mod! I would love a "meet the characters" thing!
    Expect it in the nearest future!
    Raduziel wrote: »
    Hello!

I would like to announce that Deities of Faerûn now has a special component that gives the Trailblazer of Marthammor Duin kit to Turald!

Hope you guys enjoy it!
    That's great, thank you very much!
    Thanks for the update!

Do you have a custom image for Kastor yet, or are you keeping that a secret for the release of the mod?
    Not yet. Aerenwyn is busy IRL at the moment, so it will take time before she will be able to make Kastor's portrait. I'll post it here as soon as it appears.

Let me share a little more info about the mod. As you know IWD has checks for class/race/stats in some dialogs. For better immersion I decided to use it too: in such moments certain NPC will ask Main character's permission to interfere.

For example a character with high INT and CHR can persuade Old Jed to stop drinking. During the dialoge with the old man Kira (who has corresponding stats) says that she can try to talk to him. If you let her speak she will convince him not to drink and you will get experience for that. Or you can refuse her and talk to Jed yourself (and still buy him a bottle of wine).

ApocryphaSharGuidesMyHand
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited May 2019
    Very nice add. Cool to have new options for companions in IWD. I love the IWD series, but missed the companions of the BG2 and Torment. I am already waiting for your new npcs

Works fine for me. I am using several IWDNPC companions and Dusky. Good job!
    Damn, those portraits looks good! They could easily be shipped with the game that I wouldn't be able to notice which one is the mod-added.
    edited June 2019
    And the final portrait is here and looking good! Also I'm so happy to see the "Meet the characters"! Vazarius and Kira both sound interesting. Can't wait to meet the "evil" characters'!
  • AnselaiAnselai Member Posts: 1
    You are a great person for doing this. I have never played IWD due to the lack of NPC and that aspect of the game - I will play trough BG during the summer and fingers crossed, try IWD when this is done.

Thank you.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Anselai wrote: »
    You are a great person for doing this. I have never played IWD due to the lack of NPC and that aspect of the game - I will play trough BG during the summer and fingers crossed, try IWD when this is done.

Thank you.

well if you have not played the iwd npc project you could always play that until this is done.
    Anselai wrote: »

Thank you.

Thank you very much too! It means a lot to me that people are interested in what I'm working on.

Also, like Megamike15 said there is IWD NPC Project which adds 5 joinable companions. There is also Dusky NPC, and Turald NPC is fully playable as well. In other words, there are 7 joinable NPC for IWD exist at the moment.
    lolien