Skip to content

why your party go to Easthaven ?

I always wonder, why the party of adventurers go to icewind dale, especially Easthaven ?

Why your parties go there ? Gold, the possibility for adventure, gain power ?

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    All of the above, but mostly I guess because it is in the script. :)
    Phælin10Bazza11Proont
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    They were largely scoundrels and rapscallions who overstayed their welcome in civilized society.
    Proont
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    The individual character biographies that the game provides are pretty good when it comes to motivation , I guess. What I like to question myself is why would they have gotten together as a party in Easthaven? Did they meet each other in the tavern? Were they friends or had a common interest to work together?
    mf2112Proont
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Why can't some--or all--of the party members be from Easthaven? They are young (mostly), don't want to spend their life fishing for knucklehead, missed out on the first expedition to Kuldahar, so now they want to join the second one.
    ThacoBellmf2112Proont
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    edited June 2017

Why can't some--or all--of the party members be from Easthaven? They are young (mostly), don't want to spend their life fishing for knucklehead, missed out on the first expedition to Kuldahar, so now they want to join the second one.

The odds of having 6 people of roughly the same age with even the bare minimum 75 attribute points all being from a small backwater town like Easthaven are pretty slim. If any of them are demi-humans the odds are closer to astronomical since there don't appear to be any non-humans among the general populace...

Edit: Having said that, my current party of two bards, a blade, a skald, a crusader and a cleric/ranger might actually be a good case for what you're proposing. A crusader, looking for fame and glory, travels to Easthaven with his troupe of bards, meets up with a skald in the tavern and hires a local yokel ( the cleric/ranger) to be their scout. I like it!
    Mathsorcerer
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    My last party was created to fit the general area.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    I don't play IWD as often. but I don't usually think about why they are there to much. For me it's kind of a why not thing. Where else are they gonna go? Brooklyn?
    Balrog99SanctiferProont
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Gusinda said:

My away team is from a little known settlement called Enterprise (located somewhere in the south of Faerun), population of approx 400. Their mission, to explore the final frontier, go where no Enterprisian has gone before. Time given by the council - 5 Years...

Meet the crew:
    Capt (Human Fighter/Mage),
    Spock (Half-Elf wannabe Monk),
    Scotty (Gnome Illusionist/Thief),
    Bones (Dwarven Cleric),
    Uhura (Human Bard),
    Security (Halfling Fighter - mostly dead by the end of the first battle)

Damn it, Kirk. I'm a Cleric, not a Dwarf.
    GusindaDev6Proont
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @ZaramMaldovar - :) ingame, he comes with his saying... Dammit Capt'n, I'm an ealer not'n ass (he is used for carrying all the left over heavy gear)
    ZaramMaldovarProont
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    My Party came to Easthaven (Most of them anyway) on a whim as the leader's first adventure.
    This assumes a Non-Canonical setting that takes place after BG rather than the canonical setting that takes place before BG.

I haven't gotten Icewind Dale: EE yet but I've created my party. It's full of inside jokes from a now defunct let's play. The party is led by the Son of Gorion's Ward.
    GusindaProont
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107
    My party is a crack squad of five elves sent to investigate into what really happened at the Hand of the Seldarine. The information and myths that happened in the aftermath are very... conflicting. So Evermeet gathered a band of five to head out and see if they could uncover the truth or at least return with any artifacts to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands.

So we have the five:
    Nar'Exethellen, a fight/mage/thief who acts as the group's face and goes by "Narex" as it's easier on humans. He's the most gregarious and outgoing of the five and sees this as a chance to see the world. The journey up to Easthaven was fascinating but uneventful and he wants to see more, but he is deeply loyal to his original mission.

Talathar, a fighter/priest of Corellon, has been sent with them to be the group's stalwart anchor and bulwark against whatever they may face His military expertise makes his advice invaluable as does his skill with the mace and shield.

Ardanthis, a totemic druid, was sent to investigate the disturbance in nature that his elders have sensed in the vicinity. He's going to help the group look into the Hand while they will help him restore the balance to the area after that. His knowledge of the wilds will also help the group survive in such a hostile environment.

Quenvanar, a fight/mage, is unusual in his study of two handed weapons. Skilled at both the longbow and a variety of melee weapons, he's the group's muscle.

Siluraun, a sorcerer, is going as the group's adviser on magical matters. Wise and somewhat aloof, he brings his arcane might to their mission.

Figuring that it was safer to travel with a caravan, they set off for Kuldahar. After surviving the avalanche, they were shaken by the suddenly dark turn their otherwise peaceful adventure had taken. As they fight their way through the goblins attacking the other survivors of the avalanche, they see a human man apparently unarmoured and armed with only two daggers. They rush to his aid only to see him gracefully cut down the four goblins threatening him. They decide to let this man, Kendras, join them and eventually he begins to study magic under the tutelage of the elves.

Now they're trapped in this place of dark magic and monsters and they have to fight their way out.
    Gusinda10Bazza11Proont
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Honestly never thought much about it. It's hard to have much history for a lvl 1 character without it getting weird.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    There was some god that needed some entertainment.. So he waved his hand and poof, the party materialized. Their first day in existence.
    Quartz10Bazza11Proont
  • 10Bazza1110Bazza11 Member Posts: 169
    I like to play with lots of themed parties and make them fit the story. Here are some I have played with in the past.

1.) All halfling party just out for fun and adventure. So why not explore Easthaven and the surrounding area, they then get dragged into the unfolding events.

2.) Barbarian Tribe investigating the build-up of other tribes and the threat of war. Consisting of barbarians, shaman and druid shapeshifter.

3.) Typical party out for adventure, glory and gold. Sometimes evil based.

4.) Elf party similar to Empyrial .

5.) The all good undead destroyers. Sent to purge the area of evil and undead. Consisting oh Undead Hunter, Fighter/Cleric, Priest of Lathander, Sun Soul Monk and Lawful/Neutral good mage.

I do think creating a theme and reason for being their helps to immerse yourself in the story and give a reason for trying to keep all party members alive and progress.
    GusindaProont
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 141
    Maybe the group was on a three hour tour from Honolulu and got lost?
    ZaghoulGusinda
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    They heard about a very aggressive Black Friday happening at Pomab's.
    ProontGusindafluke13MERLANCE
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Half price on all +2 Action weapons for one weekend only
    RaduzielProontMERLANCE
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Proont said:

A three hour tour? A three hour tour.
    GusindaProont
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    CamDawg said:

Proont said:

There are 7 castaways and 6 party slots. Who doesn't get rescued? :smile:
    Proont
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 141

CamDawg said:

Proont said:

There are 7 castaways and 6 party slots. Who doesn't get rescued? :smile:
    Gilligan would probably get himself killed in D&D, but he's also the one I'd most want in the group. Hijinks for everyone.