The World Cup 2018 - Discussion, Opinions, and Prediction game

15678911»

Comments

• DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited July 2018
    Belgium-England 2:0

France - Croatia 2:0
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovMontresor_SP
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Lol, with the very first attack!

You say England will be ripe in 4 years, but what about Belgium? ;)
    Montresor_SP
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Come on Belgium and England, we need another six goals for my prediction to come true! :wink:
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Doubledimas and @FinneousPJ are now tie at 43 points each in the match by match prediction rating.

Come on, don't miss your prediction for the final at least, FinneousPJ!
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    France - Croatia 1-1, France wins in penalties 4-3
    StummvonBordwehr
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455

@Doubledimas and @FinneousPJ are now tie at 43 points each in the match by match prediction rating.

Come on, don't miss your prediction for the final at least, FinneousPJ!

@JuliusBorisov Oops yeah, I had a date yesterday ;)

France - Croatia 2-1
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
    Perisic, what a goal!!!!
    FinneousPJMontresor_SP
    So, Denmark vs. France will be the only scoreless draw in the world cup. Good!
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
    Just how much luck do France have in this game? 1 free kick which didn't happen, 1 penalty after VAR, 1 lucky second ball by Pogba, now 1 in a ten from Mbappe.

Croatia just don't deserve this scoreline.
    Montresor_SPStummvonBordwehr
    Lloris probably also gets an assist for the 4-2 goal. :wink:
    JuliusBorisov
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    A round of applause for Mandžukić's two goals today
    FinneousPJMontresor_SPJuliusBorisov
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    edited July 2018
    Sorry guys, I'm coming from an area when rugby is more popular than football. I care little about France's victory tonight.
    JuliusBorisov
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    gg
    JuliusBorisov
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Congrats @Doubledimas
    DoubledimasJuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrMontresor_SP
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    edited July 2018
    Congrats @Doubledimas. Well deserved victory.

And thanks @JuliusBorisov for the setup, calculations and the numberchrunching.... nothing like having your devastating defeat spelledout in 10 different ways - clearly showing that you where no where near victory :s . And thanks for taking such good care of our community.

Ps I will have my revenge in 2 years at another Euro football event >:)
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on
    JuliusBorisovFinneousPJMontresor_SP
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Thanks all. Some sheer luck was involved as well
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    It was a great contest. Thanks everyone for participate on! And congratulations to @Doubledimas. You have wiped us all :p
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
    Interesting to know whom you would choose into the best eleven:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12098/11438692/pick-your-world-cup-xi-who-were-the-best-players-at-russia-2018

Which scheme would you use?

I swear, it would be a very difficult pick for almost any position, which would show this WC was superb.

And it would consist of players you couldn't imagine there before the tournament.

My pick:

3 - 4 - 1 - 2

Goalkeeper:
    Schmeichel - even with Courtois, Subasic, Pickford, Ochoa and Akinfeev, I'll consider Schmeichel's performances the most impressive. He didn't lose against both final teams. He was insane.

Defenders:
    Trippier - England had several new stars this summer, but "Bend it like Trippier" is something that impressed me the most. I really was not aware of him before the tournament, and now I think he's the one who can deliver any cross you want. Even with awesome LB defenders from Belgium and France.

Varane - this is not easy, it's really not easy with CB defenders from Uruguay, Croatia, Belgium and England. I'd pick Varane as I really can't recall any downside to his game. And he scored that important goal.

Granquist - Sweden will never be forgotten. Yes, there might be probably better RB from other teams, but without Granquist Sweden wouldn't have pulled those surprises. Too bad the squad can only include 11 players.

Midfielders:
    Griezmann - I think he's the reason France won. One of the best in the world.

Modric & Rakitic - I just can't separate the two, or not include anyone of them. They're heroes, fighters, and magicians. Eternal respect to both of them.

De Bruyne - Speed, skill, talent. Perfect.

Hazard - Like De Bruyne, impressed very much. It's so difficult not to include others...

Forwards:
    Mbappe - Football's future. He was talented, we knew. But he showed his talent at the highest stage possible. And speed. Oh god, that speed...

Cavani - Uruguay didn't make it to the semifinal (and probably couldn't), but what if they didn't play France, and what if Cavani wasn't injured. That was simply fantastic, the match against Portugal.

So, yeah. No Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Pogba, no Germans, Brazilians and Spaniards. I couldn't find a place to include Mandzukic and Perisic, although of course they were players of the tournament.

Now, about the Player of the Tournament. How on Earth are you supposed to choose one? But if I should choose, I'd pick Modric. Now, the Ballon d'Or is waiting for him.
    FinneousPJStummvonBordwehr
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2018
    JuliusBorisov
    L'Equipe's 2018 World Cup best XI:

FinneousPJStummvonBordwehr
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2018

3) Doubledimas - 2 predictions
    Doubledimas correctly predicted the score of Uruguay vs. Portugal 2-1, while everyone else failed to predict even the result

I mean I hardly participated. So I'm not sure I count. But I did actually get this right. :)

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/990323/#Comment_990323
    JuliusBorisov
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I am foremost sorry BE did not win.

But besides that, it had to be France or Croatia.

A fine outcome either way.
    JuliusBorisov
  • hofticrhofticr Member Posts: 1
    I am very glad that France will this World Cup.
    France - is the strongest football team.
    Now I watching AUSTRALIAN CUP. WOMEN :D- it's very funny they call it football.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Not related to the World Cup, but I did hear about this football scoreline on the radio the other day. I liked it, though I suspect it's rather more amusing to older Englishmen than most others :p.
    FinneousPJMontresor_SP