Skip to content

The World Cup 2018 - Discussion, Opinions, and Prediction game

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    edited June 2018
    This World Cup is definitely full of unexpected results and match decisions.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12098/11416933/how-var-transformed-group-b-spain-and-portugal-progress-to-world-cup-knockouts-amid-drama

"Morocco, already eliminated from the World Cup, were denied a hard-fought and ultimately deserved victory over the 2010 champions. For Spain, their Group B fortunes were transformed in the blink of an eye. Aspas' goal, coupled with an almost simultaneous match-levelling penalty for Iran, sent them top of the group.

While Iran could not find the winner that they needed to progress, the goal was enough to ensure that Portugal failed to top the group ahead of Spain and move to the other half of the draw."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12098/11416967/carlos-queiroz-fumes-after-cristiano-ronaldo-was-not-sent-off-against-iran

"Going back to the story about my daughter yesterday, I need to know if I am a grandfather or not. I don't want to know if my daughter is 'a little bit' pregnant or there is evidence.

"It is a red card. The question, for me, is not about the referees. It is about the attitude and the bravery and the character.

"The decisions must be clear for everybody, for the people. In my opinion, Mr Infantino and FIFA, VAR is not going well. That is the reality."

He added: "The truth must be respected and we need to know who is refereeing the games. I am not in a good mood, as you can see.

"If you implement VAR then to make mistakes is not human. To make mistakes is when a man alone on the pitch could not see something. We accept that.

"But when you have high-technology, training, thousands of dollars spent on one system and five guys sitting upstairs and they don't see an elbow.

"It's a yellow card? Give me a break."
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    StummvonBordwehrSkatanMontresor_SP
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455

If they think Ronaldo tried to punch the guy, it should be a red. If they didn't think so, it should be nothing. A yellow is ridiculous. Personally to me it seemed like normal hand struggle trying to gain leverage, not attempting to harm them.
    StummvonBordwehrMontresor_SPRaduziel
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

If they think Ronaldo tried to punch the guy, it should be a red. If they didn't think so, it should be nothing. A yellow is ridiculous. Personally to me it seemed like normal hand struggle trying to gain leverage, not attempting to harm them.
    There was no leverage to be gained and it was definitely deliberate. IIRC the judges have to try and understand if the elbow was used as a "tool" or as a "weapon", ie a tool to get past the other player and stay upright or a weapon to deliberately attack the other player. Watching the video and seeing how far they are from the ball (with no chance to reach it), I think it's obvious he used the elbow to attack. Even if weak, it's still unsportmanlike and he should have been given a red card. I think the ref didn't want the flak from giving him the red card and chose the "easier" route of giving our a yellow.
    Skatan said:

There was no leverage to be gained and it was definitely deliberate.
    There is always leverage to be gained and you cannot know if it was deliberate.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    I'm usually having discussions with my former indoor soccer team during matches, and we've debated hotly about whether or not this was a red-card offence. We all agreed yellow isn't perfect, but red would be too harsh. We had more debate on whether or not the Ronaldo-foul that led to the penalty was a real penalty or not.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

Skatan said:

Whenever there's a situation there's always a subjective call to make. You can never know anything, that's why you do a judgement call on what you see. The ref obviously saw it but didn't have the balls to go all in.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713

I'm usually having discussions with my former indoor soccer team during matches, and we've debated hotly about whether or not this was a red-card offence. We all agreed yellow isn't perfect, but red would be too harsh. We had more debate on whether or not the Ronaldo-foul that led to the penalty was a real penalty or not.

What do they think about a "handball" by Cédric?

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/bnyaep
    Difficult. On the one hand this is roughly a similar situation to (I believe it was) England - Panama where a header was deflected because of the raised arm of the defender. On the other hand, the previous situation featured a ball heading straight for the goal whereas this one seems to move off-angle. So the end verdict was a tad harsh, but at least consistent with previous match decisions.
    JuliusBorisov
    Skatan said:

Skatan said:

Whenever there's a situation there's always a subjective call to make. You can never know anything, that's why you do a judgement call on what you see. The ref obviously saw it but didn't have the balls to go all in.
    Yes but you made a knowledge statement so I needed to correct it ;)
    Skatan
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Not sure what was more surprising in group B yesterday:

- The results
    - Ronaldo getting yellow-carded (it should be nothing at all, or a red card)
    - Another Portuguese player than Ronaldo scoring a goal

:smile:
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrSkatan
    Well, if the current results in group C hold, I guess I owe Peru a huge bag of :cookie:s!
    StummvonBordwehrFinneousPJ
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,338

Well, if the current results in group C hold, I guess I owe Peru a huge bag of :cookie:s!

Not only to Peru, but also to the guys who lifted the ban on Guerrero... Guerrero needed some matches to get in shape - but looks like he is getting there.

Too late for Peru, and unfortunate for Australia - the spoils go to the Danes B) .... who will likely face Croatia and end their campaign there and then...
    FinneousPJMontresor_SPJuliusBorisov
    First 0-0 if I'm not mistaken
    Montresor_SPJuliusBorisov
    edited June 2018

Too late for Peru, and unfortunate for Australia - the spoils go to the Danes B) .... who will likely face Croatia and end their campaign there and then...

Frankly I think Croatia would be a handful for any team in our group.

Yes, and first time Denmark plays a scoreless draw in any world cup.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr

And the first match in many days with no surprises. Just a normal game, everyone are happy, no strange decisions and heartbreaks.
    StummvonBordwehrMontresor_SP
    edited June 2018
    So Germany had 45 minutes to save themselves (after the half-time). Now Argentina have 40.

@Doubledimas This is the same as the Cedric situation (the handball). But not a penalty this time.

ROHOOOOOO!
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    edited June 2018

So Germany had 45 minutes to save themselves (after the half-time). Now Argentina have 40.

@Doubledimas This is the same as the Cedric situation (the handball). But not a penalty this time.

ROHOOOOOO!

No it's not in my opinion.
    Cedric and the penalty before that was the case that a) attacking party heads the ball in the general direction of the goal and hits the arm of b) the defending party who was too late to the challenge and thus flailing around with his arms. Now it was the case of a) defending party who heads away the ball but incidentally hits his own arm while b) the attacking party was not able to challenge the defending party in a heading duel. You can say "but it is both times a ball against an arm" but I find the context and the goal-chances differing too much so I agree with the choice of not giving a penalty.

Post edited by Doubledimas on
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    So after all the crazy surprises, odd results and unusual events... the final 16 are shaping up exactly as expected :D
    JuliusBorisov
    edited June 2018
    fluke13 said:

So after all the crazy surprises, odd results and unusual events... the final 16 are shaping up exactly as expected :D

Not quite. I think not many people predicted a France - Argentina game in 1/8. And, potentially, a Germany - Brazil game in 1/8 as well, instead of the final.

Props to @FinneousPJ and @Doubledimas !
    fluke13StummvonBordwehr
    @JuliusBorisov What a miserable round I had so far though.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited June 2018
    Tell me about it. I had 6 straight matches with 0 result. ;) And Cahir had 9 (!) of them...
    FinneousPJ
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Yeah, I have played exactly just like my team lately. Bummer...
    SkatanJuliusBorisov
    edited June 2018
    The first half of group winner predictions were spot on for me. I see that for the second half things might get more exciting and I am wrong about Poland making it through anyway.
    JuliusBorisovMontresor_SP

The first half of group winner predictions were spot on for me. I see that for the second half things might get more exciting and I am wrong about Poland making it through anyway.

Well, I got 7/8 in the first half (betting Nigeria instead of Croatia) and will get at least one wrong in the second. I also guessed Poland in group H, and it will take a small miracle for both Germany and Sweden to qualify from group F (and break my heart to see Mexico lose out).
    JuliusBorisov
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I just thought I should leave this here...
    Montresor_SP
    Fully deserved, Sweden. I believed in you. True men!
    FinneousPJMontresor_SPStummvonBordwehrSkatan
    Come on Germany ffs
    JuliusBorisov
    Well that's it for my predictions
    JuliusBorisovMontresor_SP
    OHHH MYYY.....

So we have the following favourites for becoming a champion:

Germany 4 votes (me, Montresor_SP, FinneousPJ, Doubledimas)
    Spain 1 vote (StummvonBordwehr)
    Brazil 1 vote (Cahir)
    Nigeria 1 vote (Grond0)
    Argentina 1 vote (JM)
    Portugal 1 vote (because why not - JM)

Yeah....
    Montresor_SPStummvonBordwehr