Skip to content

Favorite Un-favorite Games

ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
This might be a fun discussion. What game, that is generally not liked in the gameing community, do you really enjoy? Do you think Daikatana is criminally undervalued? Did the hype backlash fo Duke Nukem lead to the poor reception of solid game? Share your thoughts!

I've always really enjoyed Final Fantasy 2. Despite the poorly recieved and oddly implemented levelling system (The Elder Scrolls stats before the Elder Scrolls was a thing), I think the game had very strong story for its time. It wasn't afraid to get very dark at moments or even to kill off party members. As a consequence of this, you had to manage and build around a constantly changing party, meaking each new section of the game a party build puzzle.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Dungeon Siege. Believe me, I can see why people wouldn't like it much, but I enjoyed it for what it was.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Dragon Age 2. There was a huge discussion about it and the series back when inquisition came out here so I won’t go into depth of what made it good as it does seem to be a polarizing title.

And besides that, I can’t think of another title that was poorly received that I enjoyed. I think FF13 comes close but I slogged through it to finish it, not really enjoying it.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    Assassins Creed Unity

My wife made me play all the Assassins Creed games for her so she could watch.

I genuinely didn't care for them but I was happy to oblige her as she doesn't ask such things often.

The only one I genuinely enjoyed was Unity. I played it post patches which I am sure helped a lot.

However, far from being one of the worst games ever made I thought that the characters had an actual personality. The plot did justice to the literature of the time and the engine is one of the most beautiful to date.

They also didn't shoehorn in the French revolution like they did the American revolution.

My only complaint was that it was far too clean. France at the time was bloody, vile, degenerate and corrupt but I can see why Ubi wouldn't want to go down the AO path.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Age of Empires 3. It gets crapped on a lot but I enjoy it.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Back in the day I'm pretty sure Neverwinter Nights 2 qualified for this.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    batoor said:

Back in the day I'm pretty sure Neverwinter Nights 2 qualified for this.

It still does.

:*
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Doom 3 is excellent in it's own right, it just isn't anything like the others, and in the end it's nowhere near as good as the remake that came out last year. Escape from Monkey Island (which has actually just been out on GOG) is not as good as the first 3 but nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be.
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    edited July 2018
    I avoided picking up Tyranny for the longest time because I kept hearing how bad the combat was and how people were displeased on how linear it was. Well, one day it was on sale and I caved. While its not completely up there with Baldur's Gate standards it was still a very fun and different RPG. I actually liked the combat because there was very little downtime. I think the one big weakness with the game is that it boasted huge consequences to your actions, when it really just shoehorned you into one of 2 or 3 linear experiences, but overall I think it's a great game that was unfairly compared to masterpieces it couldn't live up to.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its funny how expectations can color our vision, so to speak.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Bubb said:

I avoided picking up Tyranny for the longest time because I kept hearing how bad the combat was and how people were displeased on how linear it was. Well, one day it was on sale and I caved. While its not completely up there with Baldur's Gate standards it was still a very fun and different RPG. I actually liked the combat because there was very little downtime. I think the one big weakness with the game is that it boasted huge consequences to your actions, when it really just shoehorned you into one of 2 or 3 linear experiences, but overall I think it's a great game that was unfairly compared to masterpieces it couldn't live up to.

I actually enjoyed Tyranny a lot more than Pillars of Eternity 1. But I was onboard as soon as I heard about the game and it's concept. It's probably also because I like to play the bad guy a lot >:) I liked the attributes and skill trees more than POE, too. I played it through for each of the 4 different paths, and thought they were all intersting. I also loved the setting, early Iron Age, where iron's still not superior than bronze.

Only thing was, they had the same voice actor that did Kana from POE did Barik, and he just didn't sound like a mountain of metal that had been through hell. I really dug Lantry, Verse and Sirin, they were some of my favorite NPCs ever.

I really wish they'd make a follow up to it. It ended right at the point where there were a ton of opportunities.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2018
    Pokemon Black. Actually, the whole 5th Generation.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    alpha protocol. yes it's a buggy mess but man do i enjoy the way the dialogue system is handled.

to say nothing about the interrogation scenes through out the game. that should have been how da 2 should have done it.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819

alpha protocol. yes it's a buggy mess but man do i enjoy the way the dialogue system is handled.

to say nothing about the interrogation scenes through out the game. that should have been how da 2 should have done it.

This! To this day I wonder why I didn't ditch the game that was so buggy as Alpha Protocol.Well, the game was that good, that's why ;)
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    my vote is for Phantasmagoria 2. it was just a really bizarre and wonderful experience taken in as a whole. it's unparalleled as a video game representation of a sleazy direct-to-vhs b-movie from the late 1990's. I think the hate it got back in the day was probably deserved, but looking back on it through a modern lens, it's something really unique.

also
    Raduziel said:

N is the best Pokemon antagonist, hands down.
    Raduziel said:

Eh? Something wrong with gen 5? First I have heard of it...
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Tresset said:

Raduziel said:

Eh? Something wrong with gen 5? First I have heard of it...
    People complain about the lazy sprites, some ridiculous Pokemon (like Klinklang and Vanilluxe), how a huge part of the map stays closed for too long, the level jump that you need to achieve after beating Elite 4 for the first time, the bad way Hidden Abilities were handled (poor Emboar and its Reckless...) and so it goes.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Even starters' designs in gen V make me want to scratch my eyes.

Well, designs aside (they did have some bad ones...) I thought gen 5 was pretty neat. Story was good.

In interests of not having Pokemon hijack this thread completely, I rather liked Heroes of Might and Magic 4. Seems like I was one of the few. Still pales in comparison to Heroes 3.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Act of War: Direct Action. It's like this game was forgotten within a month after its release back in 2005-ish. But I think it's a great RTS with impressive graphics for its time and some mechanics that just weren't around in other RTS games back then. Like how you can take prisoners, put infantry on rooftops or call in off-screen air support. It was nice to see that it is available on Steam.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Minesweeper. I downloaded a version for my phone and now it's my go-to game while waiting for my wife to go through the clearance racks.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    BillyYank said:

Minesweeper. I downloaded a version for my phone and now it's my go-to game while waiting for my wife to go through the clearance racks.

CLASSIC
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    BillyYank said:

i think on my PC as of today i have played over 6000, 7000 games of minsweeper? all on expert difficulty with a 11 or 12% win rate

gotta love it when you are down to 2 squares and one is a bomb and one isn't and its totally 50/50 chance if you get it right, ah i love losing on those matches, what a pain hahahaha