Skip to content

New BG:EE Portrait!

12346»

Comments

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Do not like. The colors definitely do not work for me and the blue stripe smacks of photoshop add-on more than a realistic war stripe applied by her clan or whatnot. And I'm not even mentioning the dots in the hair - I'm not, I'm not, I'm not...

The good, however, is the setting and 'feel' of the portrait. It also gives variety, so those who do like the style can use it and be happy. I'm just not one of that group.

Can portraits you don't like be removed?
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Jason Manley is a prince among men, what a stunning palette!
    Risingsun
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012

As far as the style, when they are shrunk down to game size they are much closer, but add an additional depth of color and mood that is missing from the portraits in the game. That was a purposeful choice, to broaden the options available, to add depth, and to improve quality.

"missing from the portraits in the game."

Gag me with a spoon. The original portraits are bloody fantastic. I'm sorry that you can't see their beauty, but accusing them of missing color and/or mood? Mood perhaps, but color, heck no, they had tons of color and yours' have less if anything. Am I missing something here?

(Btw; if you actually DO read this; I do appreciate what you're doing, sorry to come off as disrespectful. And I know a lot of people will really enjoy your artwork in the EE, so, kudos.)
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    Quartz said:

As far as the style, when they are shrunk down to game size they are much closer, but add an additional depth of color and mood that is missing from the portraits in the game. That was a purposeful choice, to broaden the options available, to add depth, and to improve quality.

Gag me with a spoon. The original portraits are bloody fantastic. I'm sorry that you can't see their beauty, but accusing them of missing color and/or mood? Mood perhaps, but color, heck no, they had tons of color and yours' have less if anything. Am I missing something here?

(Btw; if you actually DO read this; I do appreciate what you're doing, sorry to come off as disrespectful. And I know a lot of people will really enjoy your artwork in the EE, so, kudos.)
    If you have to apologize for being disrespectful in the same post you're being disrespectful, it might be a better idea to be more polite in the first place imho.
    JasonManleyMedullaOblongata
  • @Quartz

"Gag me with a spoon." Srsly? >.>

Dont get me wrong, I agree with you...but, srsly? >.>

(Just incase im coming off the wrong way, im just joshing you man,. maybe its cause its so late, but i am highly amused by your word usage.)
    Quartz
  • ramagonsramagons Member Posts: 96
    edited September 2012

@Quartz

(Just incase im coming off the wrong way, im just joshing you man,. maybe its cause its so late, but i am highly amused by your word usage.)

• FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    edited September 2012

@Quartz

I'm sorry if I sound pretentious but I'm aghast by the "paesant" reactions, don't you guys really have no sense of etiquette and politeness? First one BG fan asks for gagging with a spoon and a 2nd one is being "highly amused" by such oh-so-funny comment on Jason's picture. Really a shame.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Having color is different from having depth of color.

Personally, I like Jason's portraits better than the original ones from BG1. I'm reserving judgment until I see the rest before I decide whether I like them better than the ones in BG2 (I probably won't; I happen to like the BG2 portraits a lot), but I agree that the originals didn't have a whole lot of depth to their color.

Now I'm going to go hide before the hordes come to tear my head off. ;)
    FredjoJasonManley
  • ramagonsramagons Member Posts: 96
    Fredjo said:

@Quartz

I'm sorry if I sound pretentious but I'm aghast by the "paesant" reactions, don't you guys really have no sense of etiquette and politeness? First one BG fan asks for gagging with a spoon and a 2nd one is being "highly amused" by such oh-so-funny comment on Jason's picture. Really a shame.
    but peasants have the cheapest rooms
    QuartzMoomintrollLordsDarkKnight185
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012
    Fredjo said:

Quartz said:

If you have to apologize for being disrespectful in the same post you're being disrespectful, it might be a better idea to be more polite in the first place imho.
    Fair enough. I should probably have worked harder to sound less hostile. I get easily offended when people trample all over my precious BG1. Not a good excuse, I'm just saying that's why it happened.
    Fredjo said:

@Quartz

You kinda do sound pretentious. "Gag me with a spoon" was half-joking bud. I was a bit disgusted with his comment, but who really says "gag me with a spoon" entirely seriously?
    Aosaw said:

Having color is different from having depth of color.

Could you explain this more in-depth for me? I'm interested. I'm clearly missing something, I'd just like to understand where people are coming from here.
    Post edited by Quartz on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'm in the middle of a writing marathon at the moment; message me tomorrow, @Quartz, and I'll try to explain what I mean.
    Back to adoring Jason's work please! I wonder if the tops of the heads will be cropped off in the final images, seemed like an odd coincidence.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    I really wish a certain dev studio payed JM to redo all the npc/companion portraits as well. Presented in an optional portrait pack of course.
    j0lssoniJasonManleyRisingsun
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    @Aosaw , wish i had your way of expression.
    I agree with most of the things you said. I will admit at first , the pics made me doubt.
  • JasonManleyJasonManley Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2012
    No sweat at all. I could see that mostly it was my own need to communicate better.

QuartzRisingsun
    I'm sold, that sounds like a great idea for showing different heights, can't wait to see them all next to each other.
    PoeJasonManley
  • krikkertkrikkert Member Posts: 26
    I see many here say that Jason Manley's portrait style isn't fitting to BG:EE, that it is too IWD-ish..

I just gotta say I disagree completely ! The portraits in IWD made by Manley was, and still is the best I have ever seen by a long mile. I'm thrilled that he was hired to do BG:EE portraits and i really hope he will do the portraits for BG2:EE as well, and even IWD:EE if that is ever made. And what does it matter with the style as long as the portraits are good ?

As for the 2 portraits we have seen so far, I'm not that eXcited by the female barbarian, but the other one, of the "african" is awesome and indeed typical Jason Manley style, which is great. Looking forward to see more portraits !
    mch202Moomintroll
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    The pic Im using as my avatar is my favorite @JasonManley portrait ever! I want more of those! :-)

Moomintroll
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2012
    @JasonManley

The more I look at the sample portrait the more I grow to love the art style you chose for it, the visible brush-strokes, the splashes of color, the portrait gradually losing in level of detail the farther you go from the face, drawing attention to her expression. I always find it so amazing to be able to suggest a "rough painting" with digital media.

It gave me a new impulse to work on my drawing and I tried to see if I could do the same... well...
    ...the first result doesn't begin to compare but I won't give up. :D I can't wait to see the rest of the portraits from the pack. Pleeease tell me you made a lady gnome among them. :D

I agree that the art style you chose is more similar to that of Icewind Dale than the original Baldur's Gate art, but I think that stepping away from the old one to this is a step forward. :) It's easier to suggest a greater variety of characters when they don't have to closely follow the human physique (iirc the original BG portraits were based on actual people :) ).
    QuartzMoomintrollNWN_babaYagalolien
  • RaklinRaklin Member Posts: 13
    It's great, but i hope that the others are more in line with the existing art style. I'm going to use this in IWD2, but it would bug me how it doesn't quite fit.
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    For all of us wanting to make our own portraits, could we get the right specifications? Pixels and color depths?
    trinit
  • RaklinRaklin Member Posts: 13
    If we could a set of alternate portraits for all of the Bioware NPCs (and, I suppose, the Beamdog NPCs) all of this quality and style, I'd be bouncing with glee.
    A manly bouncing, but still, bouncing.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I like the new art and the old. I'm happy to see new art brought, even if it's not 100% the same as the old stuff. Art isn't supposed to all the same anyway, so nyeh :P
    Boozilla
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

@JasonManley
    It gave me a new impulse to work on my drawing and I tried to see if I could do the same... well...
    ...the first result doesn't begin to compare but I won't give up. :D I can't wait to see the rest of the portraits from the pack. Pleeease tell me you made a lady gnome among them. :D

Hey, that portrait would be fun for a Wild Mage or a Druid, perhaps :-)
  • msassmsass Member Posts: 1
    Hey this is Mike Sass... I haven't paid attention to this project, but am now surfing a bit and stumbled on this thread. Just want to say I had to lol at Manleys comment of improving quality of my 15 year old art, especially upon examining the quality job he did on those 2 images.
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77

@JasonManley

The more I look at the sample portrait the more I grow to love the art style you chose for it, the visible brush-strokes, the splashes of color, the portrait gradually losing in level of detail the farther you go from the face, drawing attention to her expression. I always find it so amazing to be able to suggest a "rough painting" with digital media.

I agree that the art style you chose is more similar to that of Icewind Dale than the original Baldur's Gate art, but I think that stepping away from the old one to this is a step forward. :) It's easier to suggest a greater variety of characters when they don't have to closely follow the human physique (iirc the original BG portraits were based on actual people :) ).

looks kinda like a Female Dwarf