Skip to content

Multiclass with kits - how much is it cheating?

MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
How guilty should I feel? I’m playing a Swashbuckler/fighter and in the future I plan to use a kensai/thief. In any case, this applies to all combination. How much this breaks the game, umbalances it, and makes the character overpowered.

If is not posssible in the vanilla game it might be for a good reason... is it? On the other hand, in 3rd edition is perfectly legal...

Im having a lot of fun with my fighter swashy, but I don’t want to take advantage and lose the standard challenge.
semiticgoddess

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    There's at least one mod that already lets you do that, and mods are never considered cheating. Basically, if it comes from a mod, it might be overpowered, but it's still legit. If you did it with EEKeeper, it imitates a mod's behavior, which is essentially the same thing. No one would look askance on a Fighter/Swashbuckler run.

Honestly, a Swashbuckler/Fighter multi-class is really just a Fighter/Thief with some modest bonuses to hit, damage, and AC, at the cost of some skill points and the more meaningful loss of a backstab multiplier (though I've heard that some implementations of multi-classed Swashbucklers give them a backstab multiplier anyway). It sounds only marginally stronger than an unkitted character.

A Barbarian/Cleric of Lathander, Berserker/Enchanter/Assassin, or Wizard Slayer/Totemic Druid would be good examples of truly broken characters.
    ThacoBell
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    It's 100% cheating, but don't stress over it. You're allowed to enjoy your game however you please.

The class restrictions in 2E are unnecessarily stifling. They got rid of that stuff for a reason.

Honestly I think very few Class Combinations are so powerful as to remove "The Standard Challenge".

Most of the challenge in the game comes from figuring out how to beat an enemy, and that rarely comes down to just having the better stat sheet.
    Contemplative_HamsterCaptRory
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Contemplative_Hamster
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    I’m for the interesting combinations, of course. Swashy/fighter and kensai/thief are for me for pure roleplaying reasons, not merely power gaming. I also treasured a Priest of Eilistraee/Fighter wich I think fits quite well.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    If you have beaten the game already eh. I cheat all the time to extract more fun from the engine. I mean, if you do a challenge, like the popular no reload challenge, then I understand why you might consider it cheating. If not, then cheat to your hearts content. Just keep in mind that to much cheating makes the game boring (although a swashy fighter seems rather mild to me).
  • This is a single-player game that you have probably completed betwern 5 and 300 times. How is what you're proposing cheating? Who would you be cheating?
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBellsemiticgoddess
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its a single player game. Go hog wild. The point is that you have fun playing.
    semiticgoddessStummvonBordwehr
    Reflecting about this, is funny how overpowered a vanilla legal Kensage is, or a Ranger > Cleric compares to this low key kit multiclasses
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Aren't multiclass kits allowed by 2ed PnP anyway?
    ThacoBell said:

No idea.

There are mods that create kits specifically for multiclasses, so it doesn't seem to be an engine limitation that prevents it. The Enhanced Editions have overhauled the engine substantially though, unlocking possibilities for modders that were not present in the originals.
    edited August 2018
    ThacoBell said:

Even better. You could create your own kit! You could choose any crazy combination between all the traits from all classes (like mixing thief abilities and divine spell casting), and at the end and depending what did you put on the recipe, you got a xp leveling table.

@Chronicler, which mods? I don’t have them. I’m using EEkeeper, which just allows one kit with the other vanilla class

ThacoBell

ThacoBell said:

Even better. You could create your own kit! You could choose any crazy combination between all the traits from all classes (like mixing thief abilities and divine spell casting), and at the end and depending what did you put on the recipe, you got a xp leveling table.

@Chronicler, which mods? I don’t have them. I’m using EEkeeper, which just allows one kit with the other vanilla class

Might and Guile has some cool ones. Fighter/Thieves for example can be a Thug (exactly what it says on the tin) or a Tomb Runner (Indiana Jones type).
    ThacoBell
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ChroniclerThacoBell
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    ThacoBell said:

Yes, they are.

And there are kits that are legal only for multiclasses (like the Bladesinger).
    ChroniclerThacoBell