Skip to content

What is your favorite Disney Television Animation production from mid 80s to late 90s ?

2»

Comments

• SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    "I am the terror that flaps in the night."

That line alone makes Darkwing far superior to everything else on this list.
    GenderNihilismGirdlejoluvThacoBell
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Ever since voting in this thread I can't stop hearing Launchpad McQuack say "DW!" in my head any time I think about this thread.
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    Fraggle Rock. No, wait, that was Jim Henson Studios.
    The Storyteller. Or... no, that was Jim Henson too.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    I only just saw The Storyteller for the first time last year, gobbled the whole series up in one go and was starving for more. Amazing stuff!
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    @GenderNihilismGirdle did you see the Greek Myths episodes as well? You shouldnt have to miss those if you liked it that much :smile:
    Not yet, altho I have the first one on youtube bookmarked for later watching already...dunno why I didn't get around to it back then (I remember bookmarking it shortly after finishing The Storyteller) but you saying so sparked my memory to check my bookmarks so I'll get on it tonight so I don't forget!
    profanitywarning
  • Saber83Saber83 Member Posts: 94
    Gargoyles FTW!

But seriously. That was a great show. Then again most of the shows on the list are great. I probably sound really old but this was when cartoons were really entertaining.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Really? You mean I have to choose between Aladdin and Darkwing Duck?
    megamike15
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Uh, none? I grew up watching Saturday morning cartoons before cable and I truly preferred the Warner Brothers cartoons. Seriously, no Disney character comes within a mile of Foghorn Leghorn. Put I say put down that phone, son, and pay attention when I'm talkin' at-cheh

Plus, I think Foghorn Leghorn helped me land the best job I ever had, believe it or not.
    GreenWarlocklolien
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    If we are talking up to the 90s only, Disney hadn't made anything that could compete with Gargoyles in my opinion. I'm also assuming we are talking about Toon Disney studio only here and not Disney studios.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    what the coincidence, I just finished watching every episode of Aladdin the animated series, ah, good times when I was a lad eating four dozen eggs every morning to help me get large....
    ThacoBelllolien
  • DanitheangeldevilDanitheangeldevil Member Posts: 51
    Hmm I liked all this cartoons, but Talespin is my favourite 'cause pirates, adventure and some jokes on Don Kanal Karnage names. :smiley:
    Fun things in Slovak had 2 dubs version: later they dub all last episodes, but the dub was horrible. :neutral:
    ThacoBelllolienFardragon[Deleted User]
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i wish there was a vote for more then one option. darkwing duck, i also have a soft spot for the aladdin cartoon.

disney's doug besides the movie i found to not be a good as the nick series so if there was a vote for lest favorite it wold be that.
    [Deleted User]
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I really liked Winnie the Pooh and never wanted to admit it to my friends.

Then there's this TV series that probably would have been my favorite if they had actually made it: Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow. It's this old Disney Interactive game that I like to gush about. Apparently they were going to make both a sequel and a TV series but it was all cancelled when the game didn't sell too well.

I think Maui Mallard is supposed to be Darkwing Duck's cousin. So imagine a TV series like that, with a noir duck detective, supernatural mysteries, ninjas, voodoo and buzzsaw yo-yos. Oh, the things that could have been...
    lolienThacoBell[Deleted User]Skatan
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    I guess I'm alone, but hey Doug Rocked your Socks off. :p
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    Other:

Who Framed Rodger Rabbit

ThacoBellSkatan
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Fantastic movie. Not a series or Disney run production.
    edited August 2018
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit was released by Touchstone Pictures which is a subsidiary of Disney.

Walt Disney Pictures purchased the film rights for Who Framed Roger Rabbit's story in 1981. Price and Seaman wrote two drafts of the script before Disney brought in executive producer Steven Spielberg, and his production company, Amblin Entertainment. Zemeckis was brought on to direct the film, and Canadian animator Richard Williams was hired to supervise the animation sequences. Production was moved from Los Angeles to Elstree Studios in England to accommodate Williams and his group of animators. While filming, the production budget began to rapidly expand and the shooting schedule ran longer than expected.

Disney released the film through its Touchstone Pictures division on June 22, 1988, to critical and commercial success, becoming a blockbuster. The film brought a renewed interest in the Golden Age of American animation, spearheading modern American animation and the Disney Renaissance.

Source: Wikipedia

Disneyland also had a series of stores called The Jessica Rabbit Store.

The Jessica Rabbit Store, entitled "Jessica's", was once part of Pleasure Island, Disney’s nightclub attraction, and shopping area. It featured nothing but Jessica merchandise, from her signature nightgowns and jewelry to shower curtains and beach towels. A giant 2-sided neon Jessica signs with a sequined dress and swinging leg sat atop the light purple colored building. A floor-to-ceiling windowed corner of the store allowed light to shine in during the day. Another corner of the store had a large stage door with her name on it. The inside was art deco in style and was very similar to designs used in the film's Ink and Paint Club scene.
    Source: The Disney Wiki

Granted it's not a Disney TV show but a lot of plans for the franchise were put on hold with the unfortunate rights disputes and I would ask the humble courts to remember the potential of this series and not allow the name of its distributor to allow people to forget these lost Disney characters.

It was also 5 am for me when I posted...

;)
    Post edited by voidofopinion on
    ThacoBellSkatan
    edited August 2018
    Back on topic:

Gargoyles was produced by Walt Disney Television in 1994 and syndicated by Disney–ABC Domestic Television so I am totally legit on this one.

;)

I came to America to see my dad when I was 13 but he worked the entire time I was in Chicago. So I was left by myself for a summer to play WWF Superstars on the Gameboy and watch an entire marathon of Gargoyles leading up to the season finale.

I must have stayed up for something like 3 days, passing out for an hour and waking up to continue the marathon.

So Gargoyles has a special place in my heart. It turned what could have been a depressing and lonely summer into an empowering experience where I had the freedom to explore a new culture without adult interference. I was left money for food, and a small allowance and binged on Disney, Nick and MTV.

ThacoBellSkatan