Skip to content

[GUI Mod] Archaic GUI for BG:EE

Comments

• DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    Ooo! I like this new main menu and the logo suits it perfectly too! :)
  • neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    edited December 2012
    mmm Draconis maybe ? that was the name of the brown dragon we fight in ToB to gain acces to Abazigal's lair if I remember correctly ^^

There also was Fll'Yissetat, a female green dragon =p
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    Agree with @Sylvus_Moonbow. Hope BG background will return. I have found it with a bit brighter colors, maybe you will want to use it. In my opinion it looks better.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RJ-IYUQnQS0/UMUsM5VMaAI/AAAAAAAAJ0U/0ZiaEe_NVl0/s1600/BG+Enhanced.jpg
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Must agree with a few above. I like the logo but I don't think it should be included as part of the look. Put it on the installer but not the actual GUI. Just my thoughts on it.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited December 2012
    @neoesprit You forgot Nizidramanii'yt, the black dragon which was an ally of Jon Irenicus in Suldanessellar. Considering the background also features a black dragon, our good ol' Nizi would be the perfect mascot of this Main Menu. :P
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    @Etamin - BG background never left...the archaic menu is not the only option.
    @Balquo - This is the first screen you will see not the BG start screen. This is the only branding in the whole GUI and its here to stay. Thanks for your feedback.
    @Sylvus_Moonbow - mod advertisements in-game? its the first screen hardly in-game...thats just ridiculous...
    edited December 2012
    The main menu (first screen) will have archaic gui branding with background customization options. The BG start menu (second screen) will have the standard BG branding with background customization options. Nothing has changed except instead of seeing two screens of BG branding you only see one. Is this really that big of a deal?
    @neoesprit - great ideas...thanks.
    edited December 2012
    Having both the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition logo *and* a Baldur's Gate button directly below it on the same screen is truth be told a waste of space in my eyes. Space, which could be used more effectively with Archaic's GUI logo I believe.
    @Kamigoroshi - THANK YOU!
    I'd make the rivets more distinguishable from the rest of the leather border. Doesn't have to be a metal colour though, as they could just as well be also reddish/orange gems (like the one on the far left/right of the GUI).

Not sure if it's just me and my monitor but somehow parts of the leather border looks blurry to me. For example the deterioration at the upper left and lower left/right.
    @Kamigoroshi - Yeah it was a little blurry - I've sharpend it up and it looks better now. I'll play around with the rivets and see what happens. Thanks.
  • neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    I was gonna say what Kamigoroshi said so if you took care of it nevermind ^^

Looks good otherwise =D
  • KazugaKazuga Member Posts: 38
    i like the new start menu, but i think the logo ist just too big and on the wrong place.. i mean the dragon wallpaper ist just awesome and the A from the logo destroy the feeling a little bit.

Any previews from the blue-silver buttons? :D

edited December 2012
    @Kazuga - As already stated the Archaic logo is 5x smaller the previous BG logo. Yes previews of blue-silver buttons have been shared in previous comments. All previews are posted to the update log on page 1 as well.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    edited December 2012
    Please dont add Bhaal skull to item inventory screen. Its already overused in your UI.
    edited December 2012
    lol
  • PorcelynPorcelyn Member Posts: 65
    whoa. Beta 6 is going to be amazing. I love the new dragon screen.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    Archaic said:

@Etamin - BG background never left...the archaic menu is not the only option.
    @Balquo - This is the first screen you will see not the BG start screen. This is the only branding in the whole GUI and its here to stay. Thanks for your feedback.
    @Sylvus_Moonbow - mod advertisements in-game? its the first screen hardly in-game...thats just ridiculous...

Just some thoughts on the logo on the main menu. While it is smaller than the original "Baldur's Gate," that's the name of the game. When you replace the actual name of the game with your personalized mod logo, it's very noticeable and is bound to ruffle some feathers. Even overhaul didn't put their name in such a noticeable way on the main menu screen... Those using your GUI improvements know that they came from you and appreciate it I'm sure, but they're still playing BG and don't need a glaring logo on the main menu to remind them who made the GUI improvements.

That being said, as always, this is your creation. If you want your personalized logo on the main menu screen of this game, that's entirely your prerogative. If you want others to be as happy with this mod as you are, then it might be advisable to have an optional screen without the logo (which you may have been planning already). Anyway, just my thoughts. As I've said before, I love your work and really appreciate it as well, keep it up :)
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    edited December 2012
    I don't think any IE modder I can think of has actually branded their work in such a way, especially when it's largely based on existing work done by BioWare. Might not be terribly popular.

Much of the rest of this UI is excellent, but even as an optional component, it's a turnoff. We don't mod for recognition, we mod for players, don't we?
    edited December 2012
    @Kaeloree - Really? So now your going to start questioning my motives? Wow. LOL. What a joke! I've done nothing but build this mod for the players by taking in their suggestions, feedback, and created customization options for everyone throughout this beta. Your comment is out of line.
    edited December 2012
    The negative approach taken by a few of you has really left a bitter taste in my mouth...
    I have nothing against constructive criticism and feedback whether I agree or disagree. I'm developing this mod for the BG fans alike. I will always take into account the feedback I receive.

To clear up a few things about this controversial Main Menu with the Archaic logo. I will be offering alternative options as I always do with the majority of customization options at your disposal. If you don't want any branding at all in the mod that will be an option as well.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    cryocore said:

Kaeloree said:

I don't think any IE modder I can think of has actually branded their work in such a way, especially when it's largely based on existing work done by BioWare. Might not be terribly popular.

Much of the rest of this UI is excellent, but even as an optional component, it's a turnoff. We don't mod for recognition, we mod for players, don't we?

Its asshats like you that piss me off. If your not going to contribute how about you piss off. Modders have branded their work since modders began and why shouldnt they? They put in hard work and hours of their own time to provide content for the community whilst not asking for any compensation. Whereas entitled gits like you just have to sh1t all over someone elses work because you dont think they have the right to sign their creations. I have many many many mods for a lot of games I own and a huge percentage of them bear the name of the modders (KoTOR 2 restoration, Sikkmod Doom3, Deus Ex New Vision and HDTP, System Shock texture pack, Baldurs Gate Trilogy and Big World mods, etc).

Take you trolling ungrateful ass somewhere else as all your doing is sh1tting all over the hard work of one individual who is ACTUALLY contributing to the community and providing something we want. The fact that his logo is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL just further highlights what a waste of space you are. So how about you piss off and let those of us who appreciate the efforts of @Archaic provide constructive criticisms and/or feedback further improve his already impressive mod.

You are the lowest from of forum scum and I personally would like to see you banned.

Man, talk about negativity. @cryocore I'm fairly sure that @Kaeloree is a part of the modding community, so referring to him as a non-contributing asshat is pretty misplaced. Kaeloree's post may have seemed a bit negative to you, but I think it was written in the light of providing feedback as a fellow member of the modding community. Also, according to previous comments, the logo was not going to be optional as of the upcoming beta 6, which is what all of these comments were referring to.
    Archaic said:

The negative approach taken by a few of you has really left a bitter taste in my mouth...

@Archaic As I understand it - feedback, be it positive reinforcement or constructive criticism, has been welcomed by you. I'm not sure if you were including me when referring to people as taking a "negative approach," but I hope not. My intention was to attempt to provide some insight as to why some people seemed to be displeased by this aspect of your upcoming Beta 6 screenshot. My only experience with the use of mods is with IE games, and I think that that holds true for a lot of other people that use your GUI mod. Replacing the BG with your own logo and having it be the focus of the main menu is something that I have not personally seen done with other IE mods, and I think that it will seem to some that it's a bit too much... that being said, it isn't a big deal to me, and I certainly didn't think my comments regarding it would be upsetting to anyone.

You shouldn't take any feedback as an insult or be offended or embittered by it, I can say at least that my comments were meant to be constructive and useful. I love your work and so I want to see it used by as many people as possible, and I think feedback from the people that use it can help with this. As I said in my previous post, I really do enjoy your work and I think that you've made a great GUI mod here, I certainly hope that none of my comments in this or previous posts have discouraged you, that is the farthest thing from my intentions. In fact, please let me know if you were referring to me and I will not provide any similar (potentially critical) feedback in the future if that's your preference. After all, this is your labor of love and you are free to do with it what you please. Keep up the good work :)
    @jaysl659 I don't have any issues with your comments at all. I don't take kindly to people questioning my motives behind creating this mod and portraying me in a negative light. @Kaeloree might be "providing feedback as a fellow member of the modding community" but the way he approached it was out of line in my opinion.
    edited December 2012
    I'm done with all of this drama or whatever you want to call it. I'm moving forward with this mod. All good. :)
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    I wasn't actually intending to be offensive, I apologise if that's how it came across. I'm happy to stop posting since evidently I am offending people, and that's really not my aim.

Best of luck with future releases!
    I got sick of the borders around each screen and decided to revamp them for BETA 6. Previews coming soon...
This discussion has been closed.