Skip to content

Stuttering Audio on Movies

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    I believe the issue is related to the game engine / the built-in player used to playback movies, rather than with the movies themselves. The devs are aware and working on a fix.
    MortiannaMetallomanJaySee84Nukenin
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    Yep. I resize all the movies (except the old credits movie which, being 640x480, plays fine as is) to 480p (from 720p) and they work fine in the in-game player. On my system, at least, it has performance/stuttering issues playing back any video greater than 480p (even 576p has the issue) through the in-game player.

The drawback is that I'm watching the movies with the same scaling applied had they still been 720p, so they're 4/9ths the size they could be, I guess. :D
    JaySee84
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @Nukenin what did you use to resize them?
    FFmpeg. Anything that'll read and write WebM should do. Probably not a solution for the faint of heart or impatient. :D
    ElectricMonk
  • ljboljbo Member Posts: 177
    @Nukenin Do you know where is the opening sequence? I can't find it in the "movies" directory.
    Darigaaz87
    @Nukenin Any ffmpeg setting you would like to share for keeping the best quality? I did a blunt -f webm -vf scale=-1:480 and the result is just okay-ish.
    @ljbo Here's the settings I use:

-codec:v libvpx -quality good -cpu-used 0 -b:v 2000k -qmin 10 -qmax 42 -maxrate 2000k -bufsize 4000k -threads 4 -vf scale=-1:480 -codec:a libvorbis -b:a 128k -f webm

It's about the same bitrate as the original so no worse in quality, I'd imagine. No better, of course, since you're only going to get as good as the input quality. :D

The intro.wbm and blackpits.wbm (Black Pits intro) are both located in Data\00766\lang\en_US\movies; presumably so that localized versions can be made available.
    @Nukenin Better indeed! Thanks a bunch for the original idea: I can now rest in Inns without cringing at the shrieking soundtrack! And I'm now looking forward to enter Baldur's Gate!
  • BlackIvoryBlackIvory Member Posts: 75
    In the into movie as well as "cut-scene" movies(sleeping at inn, dungeon....those kinds). The sound always pops for me, any idea how to fix it? I tried posting in the bugs section with no response.....
  • ThorssonThorsson Member Posts: 190
    You might want to tell people a bit more about your setup, as chances are it's hardware specific.
  • BlackIvoryBlackIvory Member Posts: 75
    edited December 2012
    As relating to sound? I have the built in sound card of a GIGABYTE 880GM-D2H motherboard
    What else would be relevant?
  • ThorssonThorsson Member Posts: 190
    Probably nothing, but maybe others using the Realtek ALC888B codec will be able to say whether they're experiencing any problems. You might want to check whether there are more up to date drivers as this codec has been around a long time. Anyway this appears to be a known problem, see here http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/22369-realtek-windows-7-64rtm-crackle-static-popping-61.html
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Merged threads.
  • HwestaHwesta Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2013
    smal sized encoded videos is only solution now try this: http://www.mediafire.com/?8ycm283n8y85p3m
    1- replace all files inside movies folder to:
    "C:\Program Files\Beamdog\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\movies"

2- replace intro.wbm inside intro folder to:
    "C:\Program Files\Beamdog\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\lang\en_US\movies"

3- if u wwant old opening video rename old_intro.wbm to intro.wbm and
    do 2....
    *** black pit video : http://www.mediafire.com/?t5sc97ccsvd8vk2
    NOTES: This is smaller sized encoded videos of bgee
    For old computer and glichy sound problems.
    Post edited by Hwesta on
    Madchef
  • flare100flare100 Member Posts: 9
    Any word on this issue being resolved?
    JaySee84
  • JaySee84JaySee84 Member Posts: 52
    flare100 said:

Any word on this issue being resolved?

Not a word. Fingers crossed for the New Year...

And you get a like because your profile pic is awesome.

flare100
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Devs are on holydays, let them rest a little! ;)

Keep an eye to the new year for more issue solving and debugging! :D
  • agentchaosagentchaos Member Posts: 7
    I hope the issue gets fixed soon. Again it was only after the second patch that caused the issue for me and others.
  • InsomniaqueInsomniaque Member Posts: 1
    Hey, can someone resize the Black PIts video? Please and THANK YOU!!!
  • Darigaaz87Darigaaz87 Member Posts: 135
    Merry Holidays to all of you, my stuttering-issued fellas!
    Metalloman
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    Testing on a different system. Vista 32 bit, AMD HD4200 graphics, and Realtek audio. I am getting stuttering on the movies only. It's pretty bad.

My system at home has Realtek audio with very old drivers circa 2008 and does not have any issues with audio playback at all, so I don't think it's a driver issue. On this system I went as far as removing the Realtek driver, rolling back to the built in Vista driver and the audio during movies still stutters.
  • HwestaHwesta Member Posts: 11

Hey, can someone resize the Black PIts video? Please and THANK YOU!!!

smal sized encoded videos is only solution now try this: http://www.mediafire.com/?8ycm283n8y85p3m
    1- replace all files inside movies folder to:
    "C:\Program Files\Beamdog\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\movies"

2- replace intro.wbm inside intro folder to:
    "C:\Program Files\Beamdog\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\lang\en_US\movies"

3- if u wwant old opening video rename old_intro.wbm to intro.wbm and
    do 2....
    *** black pit video : http://www.mediafire.com/?t5sc97ccsvd8vk2
    NOTES: This is smaller sized encoded videos of bgee
    For old computer and glichy sound problems.

DarksheerMortianna
  • DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    Thanks for the links @Hwesta, though my stuttering problem still persists even with the smaller videos. :(
  • mormor Member Posts: 16
    Any news?
    Nothing that I'm aware of. I keep checking for updates but there's been nothing.
    Still no word on this issue being addressed?

Oh dear...

:(
    Darigaaz87
  • agentchaosagentchaos Member Posts: 7
    Hello again just like to say that even after the latest patch the issue is still around.
    @agentchaos same here. However it seems to me that the developers tried something as ffmpeg -f webm fails to convert the movies after the v1.0.2012 patch. It is "unable to find a suitable output format".
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    The developers are aware of this issue, and it is still open.
  • MotokiMotoki Member Posts: 12
    Just wanted to pop in here and say that the stuttering audio on videos is also an issue with the version that was released on Steam today,