Skip to content

Saerileth vs Chloe

Comments

• valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    good to hear :) busy since a while now to (I nearly had typed 'buff') mod my BG2 game, takes ages to pick the proper sub-mods or to read what they actually do and if they are really needed. (and g3 is currently down? so I have to search for replacement sites)

But went with Tyris Flare as mage now, I love the golden axe series anyway and she doesn't seem to OP at all, might only 'finetune' her proficiency with swords...

If all fails, I still can install Chloe ^^ NOT
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Saerileth and Chloe sound quite intriguing. Where might one find more information about them? :D
    I laughed so hard at your perfectly formulated summary :)
    She beat me with her annoyance right in the temple district; you have my utmost respect for keeping her that long!
    And I have to admit I played P&P in my 'younger' days - even if am not good in some rpg aspect - but she is just too much to handle for me. If I want to play a game, I just want to *erm* just kill some stuff, have lightly banters and maybe even a light romance or whatever (+kill more stuff), but if a NPC decides to interfere in any fucking action I do .... my hate grows just by thinking of this stupid npc-mod.

Oooh, I forgot she tries to speak old-english..as if it does matters; or if anything matters..I guess the next version includes a sub-mod, that she can down-talk critters to lay down their weapons, with charisma 20+ even dragons. Sexual-wise they might include another sub-mod, so she can subdue the more aggressive sub-races or are into **** (I won't write it in here, ...)

Any traces eliminated in my hard-disc :P Had an old version still available *whistle* oh, all my hate...now am about to turn up my stereo and play mass effect. But just installed/modded (or am about to) BG2...so I can neither.

Conclusion: keep yer hands off that mod!
    I think English of Shakespearean fashion doth sound good (I found it very enjoyable in Polanski's adaption of Macbeth in moving pictures), but it should onely be us'd if each and ev'ry person in the game useth it. Otherwise, obviously, the borders between archaic and idiotic become mar'd. :D
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    Calmar said:

I think English of Shakespearean fashion doth sound good (I found it very enjoyable in Polanski's adaption of Macbeth in moving pictures), but it should onely be us'd if each and ev'ry person in the game useth it. Otherwise, obviously, the borders between archaic and idiotic become mar'd. :D

And even if archaic English was used just as a stylistic tool, as one slightly odd style among other possible ones to signify that "this character comes from this, like, really 'other' place in the multiverse where they, like, talk a bit weird", it should be used *correctly*. You should know that it's not 'thou doth' or 'she dost'. If you're unsure of those things - write contemporary English. In this regard, Saerileth = epic fail. *Sigh*, even Bioware couldn't quite cope with it...

• MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    So, since I finished the Saerilith mod, I'm starting to think maybe I should make all my posts in shoddy Olde English. To help raise awareness.

For the record, I don't mind the Sola battles (Hard but not Impossible), I don't mind the OP items either, if only because you feel like you earned them from the hard battles, but the poetry and angst ridden surface drow is kind of hard to stomach.

Chloe doesn't even come close to either of those. She has a medium high number of interjections, mostly "stop tryin to reason with them and just kill them" but unlike Saerilith, I dont have to do exactly what she says for fear of her dying of a broken heart. Shes down right pleasant to play compared to Saerileth. No, wait, Sheith downrighteth pleasanteth to playeth for compareth yon Saerilith. Chloes weapons just dont feel like I earned em. I mean, liketh she earneth they.

And for the record, I would change my vote from Other(Solaufein) to Saerileth. For all of Sola's problems, they aren't even in the same league. I probably have a lot more to say about my opinion of Saerilith but Ill save that for another post. I mean, saveth for thou art posteth.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    To be honest, I have never played with either Saerileth or Chloe, but my guess is that you can extract a reasonable amount of amusement out of imagining that the character speaking is a stout middle aged dwarvern lady with a thick scottish accent.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited December 2012
    TBH, Chloe isn't even the SECOND worst NPC mod. It's Tsujatha, it's no coincidence that the makers of both mods are the same damn creepy couple!

An evil extraplanar elven Necromancer who CUTS HIS WRISTS and will only romance Good aligned women... dafuq?
    I think you might have just picked the next mod Im going to play. It sounds brutal, but hey, I'm masochistic in the BG2 way.

That being said I reserve the right to stop playing it if it goes, um, Saerileth-y on me.
    He's evil, so I THINK I recall him not being such a wuss, but try not to let him get hit! Not because he's squishy (though as a mage, he is) but because his 'get hit' soundclip is... wordy! You heard me! He says more than GAH or OUCH! He has a whole sentence, EVERY TIME HE'S HIT!
    Looks like no Tsujatha playthrough after all. I guess Saerileth had the last laugh on me. Uninstalled her earlier, installed Tsujatha... and Imoen didn't show up to let me out of the cell in Irenicus Dungeon. Tried a few times. Then I reinstalled Tsujatha, then uninstalled something else I think might have caused incompatibility... Now its all completely screwed up so it looks like I have to start over from scratch. Fortunately... I have clean BG2 copied to a different folder so its a matter of delete and rename, but then I have to go through and install mods again, and make sure I have the most recent versions of the mods I use (Tactics, Rogue Rebalancing, etc etc) and decide of what I had what to dump (Kivan, Xan, Nalia Romance? Doubt I would play em again).

Oh, and to stayeth on topiceth, I hate Saerileth so bad. Its not often I actively put down someones work like this, but I'm moving past calling it "craptacular" and going for "godawful"
    MERLANCE said:

So, since I finished the Saerilith mod, I'm starting to think maybe I should make all my posts in shoddy Olde English. To help raise awareness.

For the record, I don't mind the Sola battles (Hard but not Impossible), I don't mind the OP items either, if only because you feel like you earned them from the hard battles, but the poetry and angst ridden surface drow is kind of hard to stomach.

Chloe doesn't even come close to either of those. She has a medium high number of interjections, mostly "stop tryin to reason with them and just kill them" but unlike Saerilith, I dont have to do exactly what she says for fear of her dying of a broken heart. Shes down right pleasant to play compared to Saerileth. No, wait, Sheith downrighteth pleasanteth to playeth for compareth yon Saerilith. Chloes weapons just dont feel like I earned em. I mean, liketh she earneth they.

And for the record, I would change my vote from Other(Solaufein) to Saerileth. For all of Sola's problems, they aren't even in the same league. I probably have a lot more to say about my opinion of Saerilith but Ill save that for another post. I mean, saveth for thou art posteth.

This is a truly solid level of shoddiness that definitely caught my awareness. :D
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I can't be the only one who deliberately advanced the Saerileth romance all the way up to intentionally having her die of heartbreak, can I?
    Damn I had to google that stuff, else I wouldn't have believed it. Who the heck does a NPC mod, which can actually die if you screw up her romance? That's the stupidest thing I ever heard....

So it does only confirm my vote. Am so happy, that I got fed off my experimental BG2-NPC campaign very early and have missed this! I might have died from laughing as well...
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    valky said:

Damn I had to google that stuff, else I wouldn't have believed it. Who the heck does a NPC mod, which can actually die if you screw up her romance? That's the stupidest thing I ever heard....

Saerileth's technically not the only one who dies depending on your choices in a romance, though she's the only one I can think of where it was REALLY poorly implemented. And 'really poorly implemented' is like the understatement of the year here. And she's certainly the only one who can literally drop dead of a broken heart.
    Am looking forward to see if Tyris Flare dies too from a broken heart...lol :) So far from the description she makes a decent appearance, balanced stats...not overly forced dialogs and can be romanced. And it's from GOlden Axe ffs!

Else the other mod am using are the 2 NPC from BTL, but they have an own romance each other, if I got the FAQ right - which is IMO pretty awesome, that it's not always about the protagonist.

I haven't found a decent compendium of any NPC mod; am usually limited or limit myself to favorite sites and grab the mods accordingly, while trying to keep my mods to a bare minimum or things that actually doesn't conflict each other.

Was also tempted to use the shadow thief NPC, but having an Archer (!!) + the multi thief/mage as NPC for prolly a whole soa/tob run made my decision a bit easier, cause I can't stand Jan! :>

sorry for abusing the topic :Þ
  • secretfiresecretfire Member Posts: 63
    I think alot of this is just griping. I'm going through Tsujatha right now, and its actually -far- more subtle then any of the bioware romances.

Also, I find it amusing that people forget that they can, for the most part, dump these characters in the game and split them out of the party if they are annoying. After all, not all real life romances work out. If you compare most mod romances I have played, to most bioware romances, I would say the mod ones are slightly less annoying.

The most unrealistic are the Dragon Age/Mass Effect romances, where "romance" requires no effort, sacrifice of opinion or goals, or anything on your part but talking nice and having sex.
    Pantalion said:

I can't be the only one who deliberately advanced the Saerileth romance all the way up to intentionally having her die of heartbreak, can I?

That depends. There are 2 instances of this that I know of:

The Underdark is reasonable because it's easy to get to, but... well the other place is the end of ToB... is it worth the slog? The pain?
    We have not been dwelling in anguish long enough quite yet! I still think Screwjatha should be on that list.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    Lol.
    In the defence of these developers, Soulafein was actually depicated a bit like a mary sue in game. Haer Dalis' was also probably one late night away from having a sword named "anguish" too.

No mod is perfect. No creation is immune to criticism. Nothing is unimprovable.

That might be a bit of an understatement in a thread like this.
    How does one make a 15 year old Purity Sue story railroader enjoyable without turning her into a deliberate parody?
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Dazzu said:

I'd say the 'ideally' shaped mod is Kelsey, who is as close to legitimately fitting in, most especially during SoA (things get strange towards the end of ToB.) Kelsey is never a focus point of the game but doesn't fade into obscurity.

Is he a GOOD mod, eh, he's soso, but his style is most 'fit in' persay.

I must admit I've never played a new NPC mod as I always felt there were enough NPCs without adding any more which most likely are a representation of what the mod writer wanted in game rather than what other players might have wanted. The Kelsey mod sounds okay in its execution, though I hate his name and I hear much of his romance dialogue centres around scoring points at Anomen's expense if you have him in the party, which is not something that endears people to me in RL so it's hardly likely to make me want to start a romance with the guy.

He's not a great mod, but dangit, it does its best to feel like it's NOT a mod. It starts to get weird in ToB though.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Looking at them... Well... Stat-wise without any items to improve them, Saerileth takes that prize, but in terms of their stories, Chloe takes the cake.
    Chloe must have rushed thru BG1 quite a bit to get 25 dex :P
    It always puzzles me, why quite a few NPC mods always have such high CHA scores, but do lack stats they would really need.