Skip to content

Journal completely empty upon reloading game

sab0tsab0t Member Posts: 10
I had been playing for quite awhile yesterday, and left my game running when I went to sleep/work. When I came to play again, I briefly quick saved/quit the game in order to do some other things on the computer, started it back up, reloaded my game, everything in my journal had disappeared, except for one entry in Chapter 1 (my current chapter) about how I've met up with Jaheira and Khalid. The prologue is empty, as well as the many other quests I had in there.

I noticed I could scroll down, so I did so in an attempt to see if the quests had been shoved off screen or something. now going back into my journal, I can't find even the one entry that was there.

Has anyone else experienced this?
If so, does anyone have a solution?
Is there some official channel I should be submitting a bug report to?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Nuff said.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    edited December 2012
    http://i.imgur.com/mhQ7k.jpg

and previous chapter the same -
    http://i.imgur.com/fkIiV.jpg

"journal" journal entries remained. "done quests" also disappeared. all saves from this playthrough suffer the same, even early chapters.

brand new game seems to work correctly.

so I presume this is a version conflict and i'm stuck with no journal for the rest of playthrough?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2012
    Other than important events I have nothing in my journal now either.
  • tommytommy Member Posts: 401
    you all should make a copy of the game before updating, if something goes wrong you dont need to wait for the next patch
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Myself is busy and can't test it. Only two people complaining. Is this true for everyone?
    i have the same bug
  • PinkRosePinkRose Member Posts: 102
    Nice catch.
    Bummer, though.
    I'll have to restart.
    Again.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    What happens if you solve a quest in a new game? Does the journal entry reappear?

Generally, the engine wouldn't delete a journal entry from a saved game, so don't be upset too much.
    The worst that might have happened that it doesn't display them now. A patch would fix this retroactively.
    Yea it turns out that once you get a new journal entry they reappear. Odd but it worked that way for me.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    elminster said:

Yea it turns out that once you get a new journal entry they reappear. Odd but it worked that way for me.

That IS really odd.

elminster said:

That IS really odd.
    I'm trying to justify why this is the case using my limited knowledge of computer programming, but to be honest I have no clue why it works lol
    edited December 2012
    @elmister can you test, if the entry is still there after reload the savegame
    edited December 2012
    This message turned out to be wrong, so uhh ignore it :p
    Post edited by elminster on
    edited December 2012
    @tommy lol nope. I reloaded in game and I still had them, but the moment I quit the game and came back in they were gone again. Which member of Overhaul is the one casting pixie dust on my journal?, it is not cool :D

Edit: I quit the game and come back in and they are gone. But the moment my group moves they reappear.
    there was a report in the german formum too, the says the entries reappear after some minutes
  • DafojkDafojk Member Posts: 111
    After the patch the only quest show up: under important events, Scar's Job. It's shown under every chapter. Everything else is gone. Journal seems OK.
  • DafojkDafojk Member Posts: 111
    Well, i did the scar quest and now the rest is there :)
  • AdventSignAdventSign Member Posts: 96
    Same here although I havent completed another quest yet, I will do so and see if it comes back again.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    (I'm sorry for not looking this up, but I'm only on my phone now, so there might be a topic like this already)
    So, all quest entries in my journal have disappeared (in progress and done quests as well), except the main quest line (important events).
    This is the first time I'm playing the game offline (well, you always play offline,but now I don't even have internet for news and updates. I don't think it's revant, but maybe worth mentioning...
    Any ideas?
  • heggernes88heggernes88 Member Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    All my quests and done quests are gone from every chapter after I made the update today. I had all quests yesterday, before the recent update. All I have is the *Important Events* aka the mainmission. As far as I can tell, my own added content and the journal is still there.
    - UPDATE - issue resolved by finding a new sidequest :)
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    Well, it kinda fixed itself. After travelling to another area, the journal entries reappeared. Still wondering how this happened though :/
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    I have this problem too, reloading the game brings the journal back.

I don't think the entries are gone, as the scroll bar is still there, but something is out of alignment and hiding the text.
  • recurring_characterrecurring_character Member Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    Hi,

after I applied the latest patch (update 3), all the quest entries from my Journal disappeared.

I hope this can be fixed soon.
    Thank you

EDIT: It appears that when you move a bit around the map, the entries jump back in the Journal. However, it is still a bug which could be worked upon :)
  • KomarrKomarr Member Posts: 80
    @bigdogchris I've noticed the same problem with my journal.
  • tkelloggtkellogg Member Posts: 15
    I've noticed this as well.
  • PerusoePerusoe Member Posts: 46
    I posted a similar bug in the Now You See It, Now You Don't Quest (Phlydia's Book) thread. It turns out, the Journal Entries aren't disappearing. The page scrolling is screwed up. Hopefully, it will be patched soon. It is very annoying.
  • RasekovRasekov Member Posts: 59
    After the last patch(v1.0.2010) I've encountered a couple of problems with the journal, one of them big and the other just annoying

1st:

Current behavior: After applying the patch my journal got wiped out, every quest done and pending except the "important events" one.

Expected behavior: It should at least keep the open quests, or if possible just fix them all and keep them in the journal.

2nd:

Current behavior: Scrolling with the mouse wheel doesn't work in the "journal" section of the journal and scrolling by clicking and dragging ends up opening the "edit" menu 8 out of 10 times in my case.

Expected behavior: Mouse wheel should be used, if not it should at least be harder to enter into edit mode to prevent it from occurring accidentally.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    edited December 2012
    I have the same problem! I had so many active quests and now I don't remember what half of them are :(

Edit: All the quests in my journal just came back! I guess the games was re-populating the journal and took some time to load up.
  • RasekovRasekov Member Posts: 59
    Mine haven't come back. I made a short video showing that problem and the "Journal" one, maybe it will help.

http://youtu.be/nNPfj2aNdTA
  • timepiggytimepiggy Member Posts: 1
    I've never played Baldur's 1 all the way through so don't know if this is meant to happen but I am now on chapter 4 and all of my quest done and current have been deleted for all chapters in my Journal.

Observed: all quests, completed and current deleted from journal for all chapters

(possibly) intended: all quest, completed and current remain in your Journal for all chapters