Skip to content

Journal completely empty upon reloading game

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PerusoePerusoe Member Posts: 46
    The quests and Journal entries haven't disappeared. There's a scrolling problem.
    1. Sometimes you'll complete a quest. In BGEE it's supposed to go in the "Done Quests" section. You may look in the "Done Quest" and not see the completed quest listed. If there's a scrollbar on the right side, click on the lower tip of it. The completed quests will show up again, but they'll be at the bottom of the screen. You can still expand them to read them. Now, go to the "Quests" section. You may now find your current quests listed at the bottom of the page instead of the top. If there's a scrollbar on the right side, click on the upper tip. The current quests should return to the top of the page. Go back to the "Done Quests" section and you should now see your completed quests, shown correctly at the top of the page.
    2. Sometimes in the "Journal" section it will look like the last added entry (at the top of the page) has the top line clipped. There will be no scrollbar on the right side and you cannot scroll with your mouse. If you left-click on the Journal page and drag, the page will scroll, allowing you to read the entry. If you scroll too far, the Journal will go into "edit" mode. You'll still be able to read the entry. Just click "Cancel" to get out of it.
    At least, this is how it's been for me.

Also note the big gold left and right arrow-looking buttons in the "Quests" and "Journal" sections. Once you get to Chapter 1 and later, you can use these buttons to go back to previous Chapter entries to see what you have (or haven't) accomplished in those Chapters. In the vanilla Baldur's Gate, all Quest and Journal entries went on one page, by Chapter, in the order you received or completed them. It was very tedious keeping up with all the information. Now, they organize the information in sections, making it easier to keep track. (I believe this originally started with BGII).

Now, if they would just fix the scrolling issue in BGEE. ;-)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wilson420Wilson420 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed the same as you guys.
    edited December 2012
  • PerusoePerusoe Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2012
    Shandyr said:

(Quoting Rasekov): Mine haven't come back. I made a short video showing that problem and the "Journal" one, maybe it will help.

Nice video. It demonstrated exactly what I was saying. What I didn't see Rasekov do, on the "Quests" section or the "Done Quests" section, is click on the bottom tip of the scrollbar. That's what I had to do to get the "Done Quests" back. I don't know if it would work for you, but in the video, Rasekov didn't try it, so I can't tell.

edited December 2012
  • RaelonRaelon Member Posts: 17

I was hacking my way around High Hedge and I noticed my journal is wiped except Important Events. And only a few entries there
    Is this known and is there a way to fix it?
    Thanks
    edited December 2012
  • biohazardbiohazard Member Posts: 7
    Try traveling to another area with your party. The journal entries should reappear that way as well.
    Thanks!

I continued playing and the last time I checked it was back again.
    Also sometimes I get weird entries, for example I recruited Xan and on the journal there are two entries; one says that I didnt like his negativity therefore rejected him and the other says I recruited him. :)
    edited December 2012
    Haha exactly! Somehow it remembers all the choices you ever made

Also I just realized the journal stays wiped after I quit and launch the game again. Guess it takes a few minutes of playing, area changing etc to bring the lost entries back. Funny :)
    edited December 2012
    Thanks

I dont recieve entries sometimes either. I just had a talk with neera and it says "journal updated: I think she likes me" or something. But theres no such entry.
    Journal is a mess it seems :D

Lets hope for a quick fix
  • RasekovRasekov Member Posts: 59
    I haven't played more during the weekend but if someone needs me to try something else and capture it I can do it later today, it takes like 2-3 minutes tops for the whole thing.
  • DelvonDelvon Member Posts: 77
    Perusoe said:

Sometimes you'll complete a quest. In BGEE it's supposed to go in the "Done Quests" section. You may look in the "Done Quest" and not see the completed quest listed. If there's a scrollbar on the right side, click on the lower tip of it. The completed quests will show up again, but they'll be at the bottom of the screen. You can still expand them to read them. Now, go to the "Quests" section. You may now find your current quests listed at the bottom of the page instead of the top. If there's a scrollbar on the right side, click on the upper tip. The current quests should return to the top of the page. Go back to the "Done Quests" section and you should now see your completed quests, shown correctly at the top of the page.
    I also find that completed quests (Resolute Scholar for example) has been completed, but the quest is still there. Durlag's Tower was the same, along with the quest with Dalton. All done, but haven't been added to the competed quests.

The journal is a serious mess...
  • biohazardbiohazard Member Posts: 7
    Raelon said:

Thanks

I dont recieve entries sometimes either. I just had a talk with neera and it says "journal updated: I think she likes me" or something. But theres no such entry.

Make sure you're not looking under 'Quests' but rather the 'Journal' section. When I talk to Neera all the entries go there. (i.e With the green text headers, not red.)

biohazard said:

Raelon said:

Thanks

Make sure you're not looking under 'Quests' but rather the 'Journal' section. When I talk to Neera all the entries go there. (i.e With the green text headers, not red.)

I am checking all sections and it seems "journal" section is the most broken for me. It didnt update for so long and no updates about Neera or Rasaad. And one funny part is on "user" section, all pages are blank except one entry for Rasaad. What gives lol
    :D

• sab0tsab0t Member Posts: 10
    I'll try that. thank you.

i'd also like to add that new entries that should normally go in, don't appear while this is occurring. hopefully i can get it back :)
  • sab0tsab0t Member Posts: 10
    Alright, and they're back...I got into a conversation with Kagain, the fighter dwarf, and after that they reappeared.

thanks for your advice in any case, Shandyr
  • HexonxonxHexonxonx Member Posts: 5
    I have a weird problem. All my quets are missing from my journal, except the "Important events" one. They're gone from all chapters (I'm in chapter 2) and from all pages, both "Quests" and "Done Quests"

It's also super magical, because I think they're really there, just that the game isn't "writing" them on screen. Because it's intermittent: sometimes I can Alt-Tab or such - with the Journal open! - and when I get back to the game, the journal is filled again.

Anyone else seen this, and is there a permanent fix?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    This is a known problem. For now, go through an area transition and the entries should be back until you close the game.
  • HexonxonxHexonxonx Member Posts: 5
    Thanks. Odd that I could not find anything on the subject by searching (this forum's search is really not good IMO)
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    Yeah happened go me too. Area transition helped
  • MindscapeDragonMindscapeDragon Member Posts: 4
    The Journal tab in the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition should display all quests. Those that have yet to be completed and those that have been completed. My Journal in my game does not do either. It should. It did yesterday, and now it does not.
  • KomarrKomarr Member Posts: 80
    This is one of the game bugs that actually bother tme the most. Not because of the annoyance, but because I'm not clear on why it exists. What changes did Overhaul make to the journal from the original game? I understand bugs happening in new content or altered game aspects like the zoomable play field. This seems to fall under the old axiom "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    Either way, however, the devs have been working hard on bug squashing, so I guess we'll just have to be patient.