Skip to content

The no reload challenge (spoiler warning)

Comments

• morehousemorehouse Member Posts: 20
    Absolutely on Neera. Haven't looked all that closely at the Wild Mage stuff, but have yet to find wild surges that just flat out kill you or do anything that horribly debilitating. Should probably take a peak at that before I get that far in... hehe. I do try to always cast the protection spell to keep them as positive as possible. Like using her A: To give the new romance a shot and B: It is nice to have both a good and neutral arcane caster to take advance of both archmagi robes. (and of course Xan is about worthless with no access to magic missles)

Sorcerer is Soverliss, chaotic good, using the Xan pic with the fancy purple robes.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Short but eventful day for Scimitar Sam & Co.

Lost Edwin to a dead shot skelly archer south of Nashkel then later lost Rasaad to an over critical Ogre north of Gnoll fort. (playing no rez)

Picked up Xan again to sub for Edwin and now have picked up Kivan again for Rasaad. So current party is:
    Xzar & Monty, Branwen, Xan, and Kivan - everyone is still level 4ish - Sam is Beserk 3>thief 5 - I'm afraid Xzar is not long for this world with only 8 hps at level 4 but he currently has boots of avoidance which should help.

No more gaming until Sunday - we are probably going to the coast for a little sun & fun before we go bandit hunting.
    @morehouse - Xan is often under-rated - once you get past the fact that he has no magic missle and check out the stuff he does have access to it's pretty easy to make a very useful mage with him - his sword & melee option is a nice bonus on top of his spellcasting too when used carefully.

Now in BGEE he even has a few semi-positive things to say when things are going well ;-)
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    This is my latest attempt at a no reload challenge. I'm running through again with 6 of my own characters, because my apparent OCD won't let me run through with anything but Imoen/Khalid/Jaheira/Minsc/Dynaheir and dualing Imoen at level 7, which means either my CHARNAME has be a thief of some kind or combination or Durlag's Tower, my FAVORITE place in the game, will me much much worse than it needs to be.

Because the text is so tiny, group is:

Bigfish - Cavalier dual wielding bastard swords
    Krog - Half-Orc Fighter/Cleric with a mace
    Larissa - Elf Archer
    WB - Half-elf Scald
    Azim - Human Kensai with a dagger (to be dualed to Thief at Kensai 7)
    Helena - Human Kensai with a dagger (to be dualed to Mage at Kensai 7, and switching to Staves at some point down the road)

Going to run Core Rules with the exception of level ups.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @Bigfish - I wish you good luck! By the way, I too have had a hard time changing my NPC habits, but found that this challenge has helped me try new things. I'm currently running that, I started it as a no reload but eventually had to reload after dying in cloakwood mines, I've continued it as the minimal reload challenge.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Bigfish said:

This is my latest attempt at a no reload challenge. I'm running through again with 6 of my own characters, because my apparent OCD won't let me run through with anything but Imoen/Khalid/Jaheira/Minsc/Dynaheir and dualing Imoen at level 7, which means either my CHARNAME has be a thief of some kind or combination or Durlag's Tower, my FAVORITE place in the game, will me much much worse than it needs to be.

Because the text is so tiny, group is:

Bigfish - Cavalier dual wielding bastard swords
    Krog - Half-Orc Fighter/Cleric with a mace
    Larissa - Elf Archer
    WB - Half-elf Scald
    Azim - Human Kensai with a dagger (to be dualed to Thief at Kensai 7)
    Helena - Human Kensai with a dagger (to be dualed to Mage at Kensai 7, and switching to Staves at some point down the road)

Going to run Core Rules with the exception of level ups.

Good luck! I love the group shot of your party! :-)
    morehouse said:

Hello all, first time posting on these forums.

Been playing Baldur's Gate no reload style for a couple years now. Made it as far as the drow city in BG2 with an Archer as my best attempt. I go pretty strict, absolutely no reloading unless a clear bug in the game kills me. Core rules, no reloading for learning spells or hit points or anything like that. I also limit my self to actions that make sense RP wise. For example I wont steal a sword and then have a paladin use it, assuming he wouldn't wield a stolen weapon, things like that. Also try to not gain unfair advantages on the computer because of having played the game before. (Won't buff myself before a surprise attack because my out of game self knows its coming.)

Currently in the Cloakwood in EE. PC is an elf Sorcerer that rolled 10 19 16 17 13 18. Party is Ajantis, Coran, Kivan, Branwen, Neera. I like having only one melee fighter who has all the best AC buffing stuff, makes damage received more efficient. Also two real good archers like Coran and Kivan in BG1 is just lethal.

Any tips or advice would be awesome if anybody has ideas.

Why did you take 17 Int for a Sorcerer? High Wisdom I could understand for Wish in BG2, but AFAIK Int does nothing for a Sorcerer, apart from Lore, needing 9 Int to be be able cast from scrolls, and surviving more mind-flayer hits in BG2? I've seen sorcerers with 18 Wisdom for using Wish-resting in BG2, but didn't think high Int really made any difference for a sorcerer.
    Wanderon said:

@morehouse - Xan is often under-rated - once you get past the fact that he has no magic missle and check out the stuff he does have access to it's pretty easy to make a very useful mage with him - his sword & melee option is a nice bonus on top of his spellcasting too when used carefully.

Now in BGEE he even has a few semi-positive things to say when things are going well ;-)

Indeed, though I still find him depressing to have in my party...

morehouse said:

Hello all, first time posting on these forums.

Been playing Baldur's Gate no reload style for a couple years now. Made it as far as the drow city in BG2 with an Archer as my best attempt. I go pretty strict, absolutely no reloading unless a clear bug in the game kills me. Core rules, no reloading for learning spells or hit points or anything like that. I also limit my self to actions that make sense RP wise. For example I wont steal a sword and then have a paladin use it, assuming he wouldn't wield a stolen weapon, things like that. Also try to not gain unfair advantages on the computer because of having played the game before. (Won't buff myself before a surprise attack because my out of game self knows its coming.)

Currently in the Cloakwood in EE. PC is an elf Sorcerer that rolled 10 19 16 17 13 18. Party is Ajantis, Coran, Kivan, Branwen, Neera. I like having only one melee fighter who has all the best AC buffing stuff, makes damage received more efficient. Also two real good archers like Coran and Kivan in BG1 is just lethal.

Any tips or advice would be awesome if anybody has ideas.

Why did you take 17 Int for a Sorcerer? High Wisdom I could understand for Wish in BG2, but AFAIK Int does nothing for a Sorcerer, apart from Lore, needing 9 Int to be be able cast from scrolls, and surviving more mind-flayer hits in BG2? I've seen sorcerers with 18 Wisdom for using Wish-resting in BG2, but didn't think high Int really made any difference for a sorcerer.

1. I'm never played pen and paper 2nd ed. But I was worried that being able to use scrolls regardless of your intelligence was a bug, and that it might eventually be fixed and I'd be screwed on using higher level scrolls.

2. Role playing reasons, don't want to play him like an idiot.

3. When a sorcerer already has max needed dex, con, cha, and enough wisdom to get to 18 for wish, what else really helps?
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    The continued adventures of Amin Humbledow (3), the solo LG Halfling Priest of Lathander.

The trouble when you are a halfling wandering alone in the Forgotten Realms is that, whether you encounter dart-throwing adventurers...

amin
    ... or dryad-molesters with no manners...

amin
    ... they all believe they can take advantage of you, and end up bitterly regretting it.

• IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    edited February 2013
    Skeletons once again helped Amin, this time against terrifying basilisks.

amin
    And after all those weeks of adventuring for the glory of Lathander, Amin Humbledow suddenly realized there was one place he needed to go to. Find out more about his origins. About his mother, Lanae. She used to live in that house.

amin
    in Gullykin. That's also where she died giving birth to Amin around 20 years ago. Now was the time to open the door and find out more...
    Aaaand dead. Was doing so well, I think posting on here jinxed it! Got wierdly trapped in a corner in that big fight on the second level of the mines wrecked by lightning bolts and ice arrows. What class to try now... hmmm...
    Update on the Group of Bigfish (need to work on that name...), downed Bassilus without too much trouble.

Decided to go Basilisk hunting after Bassilus.

Had my first death in the group. Krog was taken down by some crazy gnome keeping them as pets. Kind of a crummy time for him to die too, since he missed out on a big chunk of XP.

Ran back to the temple of Lathander to get our Cleric back up, and then realized I forgot to pick up his stuff. It was still sitting in a statue garden. I made it back in time before it disappeared, but I would have been upset at losing my +2 hammer and stun mace.

Funny thing though, we made it back, and I forgot to rest to throw Protection from Petrification back up. Well, sure enough, I stumbled on a Basilisk I hadn't killed yet...

Thankfully, everyone made their saves, and Bigfish never had to make a save himself. That could have been really bad that, and I'm calling that my first close call of the night. Eventually we got Krog's stuff back, and went back to hunting oversized lizards.

After that, we wandered across a group of random jerks who we picked a fight with. Had close call of the night number 2 as I landed a fear and made 2/4 of their group run off, but their priest got off a hold person spell and started wailing on Bigfish. Thankfully, Larissa had his back and sniped the enemies before they killed me.

After finishing off the group and taking their stuff, we decided it was time to head for the coast for a change of scenery. Came across some sort of Neryad who killed our bard WB with a kiss. With a little strong arming, she revived him and asked us to kill the ogre mage with her shawl. We did so, but not before the ogre told us the Neryad was apparently his wife or something. Well, she was probably going to pull this same crap on the next group or ogre that wandered by, so we ended her as well.

Of course, the Ogre mage managed to disable 2/3rds of the party before going down. Deja vu.

Had my last close call of the night in a cave guarded by Sirines and inhabited by Flesh Golems. Krog got got caught in a Dire Charm trap, and Bigfish was sorely beaten by a Golem. Luckily I managed to not die, but I am having waaaaay too many close calls on this run for it being this early.

At the end of the night, the group is sitting pretty. We bought a set of Full Plate for Bigfish, found some Ankheg armor for Krog, and bought a +2 Dagger of Venom for Azim.

End of the night levels:

Bigfish: Level 4 Cavalier
    Krog: Level 3 Fighter/Level 4 Cleric
    WB: Level 5 Skald
    Larissa: Level 4 Archer
    Azim: Level 4 Kensai
    Helena: Level 4 Kensai

• ErinneErinne Member Posts: 151
    Was going to try this, made a solo gnomish fighter/illusionist, got to level 4/3, everything was going swimmingly until I decided to retrieve the tome of constitution from the flesh golem cave. Thought both of the traps in there cast Hold Person so I'd be safe walking through them with invisibility even if I didn't make my save. Turned out the second one cast Dire Charm...
  • ShazekShazek Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    And continuing with my futile efforts at a BWP Hardcore game, we have Gerrol, the Shadow Master. Shadow Master is a relatively powerful druid kit, which trades away Shapeshifting for some powerful abilities involving summoning Shadows, which improve as I level. It also includes minimum Con and Dex of 17, for no apparent reason. Thanks to that, though, Gerrol has stats of : 18, 18, 18, 10, 18, 15, a huge 97 point roll. He's NG, and probably won't make it very far. I'll try to solo with him to begin with, but who knows what will happen?

EDIT: And he's dead. One shotted by an ogre crit. Dangit.
    Post edited by Shazek on
    Going to try a cleric/mage. Now if only I could roll a 95ish without taking 4 hours... Here goes...
    Erinne said:

Was going to try this, made a solo gnomish fighter/illusionist, got to level 4/3, everything was going swimmingly until I decided to retrieve the tome of constitution from the flesh golem cave. Thought both of the traps in there cast Hold Person so I'd be safe walking through them with invisibility even if I didn't make my save. Turned out the second one cast Dire Charm...

I don't think I'd try that cave without a Thief... Did you go left or right into the cave? The second trap on the right does massive damage if I remember correctly, and the first on on the left casts Hold person, but I can't remember what the others do. Does the Greenstone Amulet protect againest Dire Charm?
    edited February 2013
    Top Left is Dire Charm
    Bottom Left is hold Person
    Bottom Right is Glyph of Warding
    I was thinking Top Right was Magic Missiles.
    Post edited by Bigfish on
    Small update. No close calls on losing my main, Bigfish, though Helena got killed by the mage in Firewine who thinks its funny to throw lightning bolts in crowded corridors...

And Azim got killed by a lightning bolt from Kahrk the Ogre Mage...

And WB got killed by a Battle Horror outside of Durlag's Tower on the rampart that positions you very poorly...

Fortunately, no one was chunked or burned to a crisp, so it was off to the temple for each of them. I'm up to the bandit camp by now, so I'll be clearing that and Cloakwood. Depending on whether the Kensai's hit level 7 or not, I may head in to Baldur's Gate, finish clearing out Firewine and Ulcaster, or get started in Ulgoth's Beard with Shandalar and maybe Werewolf Island.
    edited February 2013
    And that, as they say, is that. Finished up werewolf island, and lost my Thief in the process. I had sent him up to scout things, maybe grab the sword of balduran if I could remember where it was. Well, a poorly timed Horror spell caught him before he could throw invisible back up, and he was subsequently eaten by wolfweres.

Well, I finished the island anyway and when we landed back in ulgoth's beard, I headed to the Friendly Arm Inn to revive Azim. Turns out that wasn't such a good idea, since as we were on our way back, we were waylayed by enemies and this happened....image
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    LOL! Damn that sucks! Haha what are werewolves doing on the sword coast?
    stygga said:

LOL! Damn that sucks! Haha what are werewolves doing on the sword coast?

Oh that's my party. You get infected with Lycanthrope on Werewolf Island, and you're supposed to kill the head werewolf in Ulgoth's Beard for the cure. Well, I didn't kill that one because I wanted to revive my thief. Too much time went by apparently and woof woof...
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    Gruuk, my half-orc barbarian died close to lvl 2 in a party consisting of Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid in the area north of Nashkell due to trying to take on a gibberling in melee and dying in one hit. (hardcore ironman w/o party member resurrection, various mods; not recorded)

I learned a lot in this run.
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    This thread needs more @ignatius. :P
    Ahhh well Scimitar Sam made it through the Coast run (with Kivan the Sirine hunter doing the heavy lifting) - got back and cleared the tomb map and slimes then died at the teeth of a vampiric wolf near the temple - forgot they can hold you - no dispel magic learned - Jahs & Branwen couldn't heal him as fast as the wolves damaged him - mostly becuase Kivan Khalid and Xan couldn't take down the 4 canines surrounding a held Sam.

The party drug his body back to the temple and raised him - you can check out his further adventures in the minimal reload - no rez thread if you wish.

I may go back and see what my other no-reloader Lian Longshot can do with his dark side group currently in chap 2 as well.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    I've just started a no reload run again, but using this challenge - http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15828/the-75-roll-no-reloadno-resurrection-challenge

I'll post my updates to that thread.
    I've picked up Lian Longshot (CN elf F1/T2 18/99 19 17 11 8 14 - ** Longswords and Longbow) where I left off with him a while back and we puttered around a bit and just got Dorn to spawn in and join - (yay)

Current crew is Dorn 2, Monty 1/2, Viconia 3, Kagain 2, & Edwin 1 - we have taken out Dyna for Edwin (and Minsc when we returned to Nashkel) buried Xzar at FAI and have Neera waiting at FAI - if she wasn't so dangerous for a no reload run I'd probably swap monty for her and may do so yet - otherwise we may use her occasionally for IDing our swag since Edwin can't.
    Lian & Co did Dorns first quest, took out Greywolf. cleared Ulcaster map except the dungeon (waiting for another thief level to boost traps),cleared the ogre map (+1 greatsword), succeeded with Melicamp for a change, ran across the night loving vampiric wolf south of Beregost and cleared Beregost Temple map using Monty to scout and snipe the vampiric wolves and freinds back to the partys waiting arms.

Current levels: Lian & Monty F 2/T 3 both less than 200 from fighter level, Dorn 3 with 1800 to go, Edwin 3 with 3100 to go , & Kagain 3 with only 500 to go, Viconia 4 with 3900 to go.