Skip to content

The no reload challenge (spoiler warning)

Comments

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    edited February 2013

The major news for me was that I stole Drizzt's scimitars and Safana kept Icing Death for herself... and CHARNAME has not died yet!

and I SOLD Twinkle at the Carnival, as neither Alessandro (my neutral evil Jester) nor Safana are the right alignment (i.e. good) to use it... I might steal it back later and sell it to Black Lilly, though, as she buys stolen goods.

To steal the Scimitars from Drizzt I used Alessandro (80 base pickpockets at level 5) + 2 potions of Master Thievery (one obtained from Vitiare in the Carnival area, who I zapped before he could escape with the awesome Wand of Paralysation I got from the Flesh Golem cave, the other from the wandering merchant outside Durlag's Tower and cast the luck spell (+5% to thieving) to make sure - giving 165% pickpockets. Drizzt's Armour is less interesting for me, as Safana can't wear it and it would disable use of spells for Alessandro (though would otherwise be excellent). It's great for fighter/thieves, though, as gives no penalties for thieving (would be great for Monty of a dualed Shar-teel)

Also I bought both the +3 Staff and the Greenstone Amulet (this is ridiculously OP, though very useful for a an almost solo no reload run, so I'm not complaining...) for Alessandro in Ulgoth's Beard, and the Shadow Armour for Safana. BTW I travelled through the Fishing Village map under Invisibility to avoid the Ankehgs at this point.

NB: before making any expensive purchases, I'm *always* casting Friends on my Jester first, which gives him 15 + 2 (from Algernon's cloak, which I pick-pocketed earlier) + 6 (Friends) = 23 Charisma! This gives the max 75% charisma store discount. My reputation is currently 10, so no bonus/malus to store prices, though I will likely try to kill Firebeard and Joi (after returning her ring) soon, mostly for the XP, so my rep will take a hit...

Also, I'm always selling all goods at the Carnival Stores (or at least the ones you can steal from), or Nashkel Stores (for rings and other items the Carnival stores won't buy) as they offer the best prices *and* will be relatively easy to steal back from later, either to use the items or to re-sell at Black Lillys in Baldur's gate (the only store that buys stolen goods, though you cant steal from her and sell goods back to her).

I think the only place that buys wands and "allows" you to steal them back (fully charged, of course) is the southern General Store in SW Baldur's Gate. Once stolen, though, the only place to recharge them again will be Black Lilly's, and I'd have to buy them back. I don't know anywhere that will buy Greagan's Harp (which I will definitely be getting for my Jester, when I can afford it) that also "allows" stealing, though, so I would need to actually re-purchase it to recharge it.

NB: this thread covers recharging items and where you can sell/steal them well: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15605/how-many-charges-does-greagans-harp-horn-of-kazgorath-and-the-staff-of-striking-have/p1

So, Alessendro has now fully looted Beregost (except one chest), Nashkel, Nashkel Carnival, Gullykin (and killed the Kobold-loving traitor halfling) and Ulgoth's Beard (including the +1/+3 vs. shapeshifters bastard sword, which I sold at the Carnival). Have also done the following encounters: Bassilus, Zargal, The Hobgoblins who had Zhurlong's Boots (which Safana has kept), the Ogrillons on South Beregost Road, Silke (I killed her *and* also killed one of the NPCs she wanted me to kill afterwards, so got a bonus potion and the gems for no rep loss), Karlat, Neira.

Have also returned Perdue's short sword (did you know that "perdue" in French means "lost"?) and Landrin's possessions (after casting Friends to get the bonus award of 6 antidote potions).

Both Alessandro and Safana has reached level 5 (Alessandro got a respectable 6 HP on level up, with 16 Con, Safana a measly 2 HP) and are now both pretty tooled-up, so it's probably time I ventured into Nashkel mines... Once I get Mulahay's Ring, I will sell this (no clerics) and probably buy Greagan's Harp (or maybe the Dagger of Venom)...
    Post edited by Oxford_Guy on
    Oops! - Firebeard killed my Jester, bad planning on my part, I got him easily the second time around, though - Safana backstab from Invisibility, Alessandro cast Spook (I think with a -2 to save at level 5) and freaked him out, and then I killed him with Darts of Ice (Safana) and Acid Arrows (Alessandro)... Moving to the minimal reload thread...
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    Tough break @oxford_guy, it was enjoyable following the run. Which minimal reload challenge will you be doing?
    SirK8 said:

Tough break @oxford_guy, it was enjoyable following the run. Which minimal reload challenge will you be doing?

This one: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13197/minimal-reload-zero-resurrection-challenge/p2

So if Safana dies (which is fairly likely!), I will need a new thief...

Am going to post an update there shortly

SirK8 said:

This one: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13197/minimal-reload-zero-resurrection-challenge/p2

So if Safana dies (which is fairly likely!), I will need a new thief...

Am going to post an update there shortly

Update and current character screenshots posted here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13197/minimal-reload-zero-resurrection-challenge/p2

• ShazekShazek Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Huh, well this is neat. I have a terrible, terrible idea I want to try for it, though. While I don't have EE yet, (waiting on BG2 for that) I do have an install of the Big World Project on Tactics mode. (For those of you unaware, the BWP is a mod compilation for BG1 and BG2 that includes more than 300 mods. Tactics installs all the hardest ones.) It's hilariously broken, but it ought to be fun to try to no-reload it. It'll be a miracle if I make it to Nashkel. I think I'll play Core Rules except for levelling up, like most of you all. Note that some mods actually check the difficulty for mob spawns and boss scripting, so my experience will be much harder than just Normal would be, even ignoring the other changes.

Let's see, what do I want to play as..... I think I'll avoid a new kit for this toon, and go with a mere Priest of Lathander. Simple enough.

Stats come out to: 18, 18, 18, 10, 18, 8. That's a 90 point roll. I got it my third try, but I spent a while trying to get something better. Twas not to be. Took War Hammer and Mace as my proficiencies.

And so Darius, Neutral Good Priest of Lathander, begins his journey.

EDIT: Died to a gnoll near High Hedge at level 1. Was just a little too reckless.

Post edited by Shazek on
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Update on Sam from Minimal reload no rez challenge - still no reloads ;-)

Scimitar Sam got weary of the sniping and dropped Jahs & Khalid and Xan off at the Adventurers Picnic outside the Inn at Nashkel and convinced Xzar and Monty to join him - I thought I was going to lose Xzar almost immediately when we were ambushed by a troop of bandit archers on the way to FAI but between Xzar and Edwin they got off two horror spells and then chased the bandits around with Rasaad kicking them in the head until they were dead while the others used more conventional means to send them to their maker.

We picked up Branwen at the FAI and gathered up the two mage items from Dorns battle we had left at Joias and then headed to Beregost where we took down Tranzig and Monty failed to pickpocket a cloak from Algernon and backstabbed him instead. Our rep dropped 7 pleasing Xzar, Monty and Edwin altho Branwen was a bit miffed with the action but apparently got over it and Rasaad didn't say anything at all. That leaves us with a nice mellow 9 rep that should keep everyone happy for a while.

We cleared the rest of High hedge gathering throwing daggers for Xzar who actually has enough strength to carry quite a few (unlike Xan) and then went south and cleared the rest of Bassilus map we had left for later taking out the hobgoblin tribe and a nice +2 short sword for Monty.

Not sure where we head next - maybe the coast or maybe a short trip to Gullykin - it's too bad the wis tomes don't surface before BG City or I'd dual Xzar to cleric now and by the time we got there he would have his mage spells back (assuming I could keep him alive with his 8 hps at level 4 mage).

So to recap - no reloads yet and only Imoen and Dorn have died so the rest of the NPCs are still available with Minsc, Dyna, Jahs, Khalid, Xan, Xzar, Monty, Edwin, Branwen, and Rasaad already picked up. Most everyone is level 4ish - Sam is beserker 4>thief 5 and I'm sort of undecided whether to put the team I want together and move along with them just taking the others if someone dies or whether I want to swap them in and out a bit to keep them closer in level.

Might get some playtime tomorrrow then no more until Sunday.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Bhaaldog said:

Oops! - Firebeard killed my Jester, bad planning on my part, I got him easily the second time around, though - Safana backstab from Invisibility, Alessandro cast Spook (I think with a -2 to save at level 5) and freaked him out, and then I killed him with Darts of Ice (Safana) and Acid Arrows (Alessandro)... Moving to the minimal reload thread...

Why were you fighting Firebeard?
    Heard "It's so hard to find good folks these days" one too many times?

Bhaaldog said:

Training practice?
    Bhaaldog said:

Bhaaldog said:

Training practice?
    I just thought it was rather odd for a no reload challenge at your level, nonetheless Alessandro's story was an interesting one.
    I was level 5 to be fair... Anyway, you're right, probably not the sanest choice for a no reload run, but Alessandro's story continues in the minimal reload/zero resurrection thread!: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13197/minimal-reload-zero-resurrection-challenge/p2

Bhaaldog said:

Bhaaldog said:

Training practice?
    I just thought it was rather odd for a no reload challenge at your level, nonetheless Alessandro's story was an interesting one.
    I was level 5 to be fair... Anyway, you're right, probably not the sanest choice for a no reload run, but Alessandro's story continues in the minimal reload/zero resurrection thread!: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13197/minimal-reload-zero-resurrection-challenge/p2
    I also thought, "I've got the Greenstone Amulet and Shield and Mirror Image up, what can go wrong", I laughed as Firebeard cast Horror and Confusion (I think) at me, less so when he started sending volleys of Flame Arrows at me, and then the Amulet ran out and before I could reactivate it he cast Hold person on me...

Bhaaldog said:

Bhaaldog said:

Training practice?
    I also thought, "I've got the Greenstone Amulet and Shield and Mirror Image up, what can go wrong", I laughed as Firebeard cast Horror and Confusion (I think) at me, less so when he started sending volleys of Flame Arrows at me, and then the Amulet ran out and before I could reactivate it he cast Hold person on me...
    Just goes to show ya - old age and treachery trumps youth and exuberance almost every time... ;-)

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

Oops! - Firebeard killed my Jester, bad planning on my part, I got him easily the second time around, though - Safana backstab from Invisibility, Alessandro cast Spook (I think with a -2 to save at level 5) and freaked him out, and then I killed him with Darts of Ice
    (Safana) and Acid Arrows (Alessandro)... Moving to the minimal reload thread...

Unbelievable!!!!

NOOOO-OOO!

I'm shocked!

I was sure it would be a successful run!

My sincere condolences!
    bengoshi said:

Oops! - Firebeard killed my Jester, bad planning on my part, I got him easily the second time around, though - Safana backstab from Invisibility, Alessandro cast Spook (I think with a -2 to save at level 5) and freaked him out, and then I killed him with Darts of Ice
    (Safana) and Acid Arrows (Alessandro)... Moving to the minimal reload thread...

Unbelievable!!!!

NOOOO-OOO!

I'm shocked!

I was sure it would be a successful run!

My sincere condolences!
    I got cocky, I think because Firebeard is so easy to take out with a full party, even as low as level 3, but he's a different ball game with only two weak classes. I changed tactics for my second attempt with him, though, and killed him easy enough, but you really have to think-through tough encounters if you only have one or two characters, rather than rushing in.

Anyway, I think I will continue with this run for now in the minimal reload thread I mentioned, if you wish to continue to follow their adventures, will try not to get Alessandro killed again...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    By the way, I'm currently planning a new character for a solo no-reload just to try something new (from illusionist-thief).

I'm looking at the following variants:

a blade
    an avenger
    a dual-class kensai level 7 / druid level 9.

A blade is a bard and I'd like to try his ability to use a wide variety of items. And I like the concept of two-weapon style (especially the eastern weapons).

An avenger has an intresting (from my point of view) ability to shapeshift into a spider with 5 APR and a Web spell - a pure massacre. And his Chromatic Orb at level 10 (reachable at BG:EE for druids) can kill Sarevok in a second. Also, Improved Invisibility is better than Sanctuary.

A dual-class kensai level 7 / druid level 9 doesn't lose 5th level spells (Iron Skins), has GM (i'm thinking about Staffs because of the Staff of Striking and the +3 Staff, moreover, there's a cool staff for druids in BG2), additinal 0.5 APR, very good THACO and damage.

Also, I've never played as a bard or as a druid, so all those variants - for me - are tempting to try .
    bengoshi said:

By the way, I'm currently planning a new character for a solo no-reload just to try something new (from illusionist-thief).

I'm looking at the following variants:

a blade
    an avenger
    a dual-class kensai level 7 / druid level 9.

A blade is a bard and I'd like to try his ability to use a wide variety of items. And I like the concept of two-weapon style (especially the eastern weapons).

The best things about a blade are indeed:

a) being able to put more than one point into two-weapon style, though this only really becomes effective in BG2, due to limited proficiency points to avoid the main hand penalty until level 8 (though you could skip a ranged weapon, if you really want to focus on this) and no really good off-hand weapons (except Drizzt's Scimitars, which as Bard you could pickpocket with some help from potions of Mastery Thievery - I think you need about 160 % pickpockets to do this reliably...) until BG2.

b) offensive and defensive spin

On the downside, they're the least "Bard-like" kit, their song doesn't improve until at least level 24 / 3 million XP, when you can get Improved Bard Song (which is great), though, so you're left with just the morale improvement effect of the level 1 default bard song (which can still be useful if facing a mage casting horror on your party...), and they only get 1/2 the normal lore and pick-pocket values, though you can buff the latter with potions and by BG2 both these values should still be reasonably high.

Skalds make the best party buffs (until Improved Bard song, anyway) and get +1 THACO / +1 damage to *all* attacks (go high APR), but only get 1/4 pickpockets, so less easy access to stealing stuff (like recharged wands...).

I quite like Jesters as they're the most "Bard-like" 'kit (full lore and pickpockets - make sure you make the most of this and steal everything you can!) and their song is offensive (and scales at levels 15 and 20), so more interesting to play as CHARNAME than a Skald IMHO, but their song can be difficult to use effectively. It can be sung whilst invisible (as can all Bard songs in an unmodded BGEE), though, which makes it much more awesome. Doom and Greater Malison increase the chance of enemies failing their save vs. Jester song, as does Glitterdust (-4 to saves) for enemies that fail their save (which is why the neutral evil Dust Mephit is a nice familiar for a Jester...)

BTW you don't get XP for enemies that kill each other, though, but it's usually just the minions that actually get killed this way.
    bengoshi said:

An avenger has an intresting (from my point of view) ability to shapeshift into a spider with 5 APR and a Web spell - a pure massacre. And his Chromatic Orb at level 10 (reachable at BG:EE for druids) can kill Sarevok in a second. Also, Improved Invisibility is better than Sanctuary.

Yes, I think Avengers are the most interesting Druid kit
    bengoshi said:

A dual-class kensai level 7 / druid level 9 doesn't lose 5th level spells (Iron Skins), has GM (i'm thinking about Staffs because of the Staff of Striking and the +3 Staff, moreover, there's a cool staff for druids in BG2), additinal 0.5 APR, very good THACO and damage.

I'm not really a fan of dual-classing CHARNAME, but that's me
    bengoshi said:

Also, I've never played as a bard or as a druid, so all those variants - for me - are tempting to try .

Go for it! It's quite refreshing to play in a different way
  • BazzaBazza Member Posts: 57
    @bengoshi - I did a kensai 6 / druid 10 and was great fun! It was the only char recently that I completed the game with, although I duelled at the cloakwood mines, that was interesting as a low level druid! I also noticed that when I duelled I still couldn't wear armour when doing the druid only levels, don't know if this is intended.

I went with two weapon fighting, with the +2 club and the dagger of venom , think I had about 10 pips by the end spread across club, dagger, twf, and single weapon, a tad over powered!!
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, @Oxford_Guy 's knowledge of bards is overwhelming! Credit where it's due.

Comparing blades with other bard kits I see that the most thing I like is the blades' advantages. It's just a personal preference, I evaluate the Spins and a two-weapon style more than an offensive bard Song. And Scald's song is not so useful for a solo run.

I don't prefer dual-classed heroes either but in this particular case, taking into account a solo run, kensai level 7 / druid level 9 may be good - this build overcomes the weaknesses of the both classes - a low THACO of druids - due to the kensai powers - and an inability to wear any armor by a kensai - due to the Iron Skins spell.

Also, if you're soloing it becomes more interesting to try different fighting strategies with only one character - it's like living two lives - one after another. You can't take party members, so your choices to make the game more versatile increase (if compared to not dual-classed characters). I'm afraid of using the same scheme to deal with all enemies.

But still, the Avenger concept of a druid with mage skills and an ability to become a spider is very appealing.

@bazza - maybe you didn't try a leather armor? It's strange.

Also, I don't see any advantages in dual-classing at level 6, you lose only additional spells but you gain additional 0.5 APR, HP, THACO, saving throws...

By the way, single-hand weapons don't help your druidic abilities in BG2 but some staffs do.
  • BazzaBazza Member Posts: 57
    @bengoshi - Yeah it was all armours, I was a bit miffed at the time! I think druid level 10 has a better THAC0 than a kensai 7, but yeah the extra APR would have been kool, Id have to look at the saving throws, but I think they're better as well!
    Oh, it's true)
    Kensai: lvl 6 THACO 15 ST 11/13/12/13/14, lvl 7 THACO 14 ST 10/12/11/12/13
    Druid: lvl 9 THACO 16 ST 7/11/10/13/12, lvl 10 THACO 14 ST 6/10/9/12/11.
    I've never could imagine druids have so good saving throws!

But still additional 0.5 APR and HP (especially with high constitution) is better than + 1 lvl 4 spell and + 1 lvl 5 spell.
    bengoshi said:

Yeah, @Oxford_Guy 's knowledge of bards is overwhelming! Credit where it's due.

Thanks, I guess I'm a fan of the underdogs!
    bengoshi said:

Comparing blades with other bard kits I see that the most thing I like is the blades' advantages. It's just a personal preference, I evaluate the Spins and a two-weapon style more than an offensive bard Song. And Scald's song is not so useful for a solo run.

Indeed, a Skald is best with a full, melee-heavy, party, though if soloing in theory you can still buff your familiar (not bad for Pseudo Dragon) and if micromanaging things you can benefit from the self-buff of your song and still get sone quick attacks in before the song "drops", but it's tricky. The +1 THAC0/+1Damage also helps here.

Jester's are okay for a solo run, as their spell is offensive, but better with at least one other party member I think, so you can stay invisible confusing everyone, whilst someone else picks them off at range. Also if invisible you need someone to open doors and chests, and your familiar can't do that (though interestingly *can* initiate dialog with NPCs!)

Also unless CHARNAME has some thief levels, I find soloing very hard (traps!), hence my recent duo run with Safana...

Blades are probably the strongest Bard solo kit, though.
    bengoshi said:

I don't prefer dual-classed heroes either but in this particular case, taking into account a solo run, kensai level 7 / druid level 9 may be good - this build overcomes the weaknesses of the both classes - a low THACO of druids - due to the kensai powers - and an inability to wear any armor by a kensai - due to the Iron Skins spell.

Also, if you're soloing it becomes more interesting to try different fighting strategies with only one character - it's like living two lives - one after another. You can't take party members, so your choices to make the game more versatile increase (if compared to not dual-classed characters). I'm afraid of using the same scheme to deal with all enemies.

Good point
    bengoshi said:

But still, the Avenger concept of a druid with mage skills and an ability to become a spider is very appealing.

@bazza - maybe you didn't try a leather armor? It's strange.

Yes, Avengers are even more restricted in armour choices than other Druids

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Isn't berserker->druid better so you can use ankheg plate and iron skins
    It's better from the power point of view.

But any kensai tries to follow the path of Zen Buddhism that is very close to the True Neutral alignment. I can hardly imagine how a druid who likes the natural way of things suddenly becomes extremely angry and flows into a rage.
    bengoshi said:

It's better from the power point of view.

But any kensai tries to follow the path of Zen Buddhism that is very close to the True Neutral alignment. I can hardly imagine how a druid who likes the natural way of things suddenly becomes extremely angry and flows into a rage.

Maybe he becomes a druid to calm his rages and they only appear again when he is really threatened ;-)

• IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    @Oxford_Guy: condoleances for Alessandro and good luck in the minimal challenge. First time I hear of a no-reload ending because of Firebeard!
  • morehousemorehouse Member Posts: 20
    Hello all, first time posting on these forums.

Been playing Baldur's Gate no reload style for a couple years now. Made it as far as the drow city in BG2 with an Archer as my best attempt. I go pretty strict, absolutely no reloading unless a clear bug in the game kills me. Core rules, no reloading for learning spells or hit points or anything like that. I also limit my self to actions that make sense RP wise. For example I wont steal a sword and then have a paladin use it, assuming he wouldn't wield a stolen weapon, things like that. Also try to not gain unfair advantages on the computer because of having played the game before. (Won't buff myself before a surprise attack because my out of game self knows its coming.)

Currently in the Cloakwood in EE. PC is an elf Sorcerer that rolled 10 19 16 17 13 18. Party is Ajantis, Coran, Kivan, Branwen, Neera. I like having only one melee fighter who has all the best AC buffing stuff, makes damage received more efficient. Also two real good archers like Coran and Kivan in BG1 is just lethal.

Any tips or advice would be awesome if anybody has ideas.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    @morehouse: welcome on the forum, to the challenge and good luck! What's the name of your sorcerer?

Your party looks very strong and I am looking forward to learning something new from your run and your posts. Oh one advice maybe: watch out for Neera ;-)