Skip to content

The no reload challenge (spoiler warning)

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    TBH I think CLUA'ing it is easiest lol
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

TBH I think CLUA'ing it is easiest lol

True, but the hotfix will fix it for other games too
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Fair enough
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Lian & Co made their way through the cloakwood forest helping a wealthy merchant vs poor druids since it was obvious the merchant would be in a better position to pay.

They carefully made their way through the spider infested wilds disappointed when returning a youngsters dead body to his worried brother yeilded only a sword they already posessed.

They did a thorough job of clearing out an entire arrogant coven of druids that made the mistake of threatening them with "dire consequences" for thier actions. Lian suspected those "dire threats" would be bandied about over large quantities of ale and much merriment once they returned to town.

They eventually found the Iron Thrones mine and the welcome committee waiting in the courtyard brought them very close to disaster with Lian & Edwin failing to save against rigid thinking but Dorn & Kagain took down the "mouthy one" and Baeloth webbed most of the rest of the enemy - the only issue there being he webbed Lian right next to one who continued to hit him everytime he saved against the web.

However the remain crew plinked away at the webbed enemy with ranged weapons and spells and they fell before our golden boy Lian did and with a few healing spells and potions all was well in thier world once again.

Once inside the mine they zoned in on getting to the boss - who had the key that would allow them to destroy it and down and down they went - the dwarf had some fancy new boots that made him quicker than a greased gibberling and Lian stealthed and back stabbed their way through the bulk of the guards with the crew mopping up as he called them in.

No doubt there were many sections they missed altogether but down to the bottom they went not bothering to grab much other than gold and gems along the way and took the boss out without too much fanfare altho his last fireball left Edwin within a thread of being dead.

They flooded the mines with the help of the slaves they freed and made their way back to the FAI with only one close call when they were ambushed by a pair of wyverns but Kagain led the party down a path through the woods the beasts couldn't follow on and they soon left them behind without firing an arrow or lifting a sword sporting nary a scratch from the encounter.

Back at the FAI much ale was consumed and the group pestered Baeloth to identify all the odd gear they picked up along the way often having to wake him for the next pieces when the ale and effort put him to sleep by the fire.

Eventually they took a large suite and they all got some well deserved rest with Dorn warning them there may be "dire consequences" if they failed to heed his orders bringing another round of laughs and chortles from the intoxicated crew....

Wow -they made it through cloakwood without a death or a reload - thats the farthest I've been in BGEE so far. Going to be going into unknown territory with Dorns next quest.

Baeloth was the only one to level from Cloakwood I think Current levels:

Lian F5 /T6
    Baeloth S 7
    Everyone else level 6

• FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    Bhaaldog said:

Ok my character is Xellos. Chaotic Good Human Mage

Xellos?
    Chaotic Good?

Does not compute.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Bhaaldog said:

Thank you! I do not suppose you could tell me where the override folder is on the Mac version?
    I think you have to create it, but in order to get to folder where to show the game files, you need to right click on the Baldur's Gate application icon and select "show contents". I can give better instructions when I have my Macbook Air in front of me (I have both Windows and Mac versions installed on the same machine...)
    Bhaaldog said:

By the way what happened to Bears? The seem to move *very* quickly now. No wonder your familiars were struggling @Oxford_Guy

I think they have been eating goodberries again!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited February 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Bhaaldog said:

Ok back in the same place as before. I think it was actually a bug with the AI which killed me. For some reason NPCs occasionally appear to ignore commands and just walk towards the enemy (will make a no reload run someone tougher I imagine).

They seem to do this with the default scripts, changing to the ranged or passive scripts seems to help
    Bhaaldog said:

Neera ended the no reload run with a wild surge...

Doing a no reload run with a wild mage is an oxymoron...
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    I've found if I use Neera like a normal mage (meaning don't use that reckless spell), she's had mostly minimal impact on the party. There have been a few mishaps, but overall not too bad.
    edited February 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

Ok back in the same place as before. I think it was actually a bug with the AI which killed me. For some reason NPCs occasionally appear to ignore commands and just walk towards the enemy (will make a no reload run someone tougher I imagine).

It's actually related to mouse response time according to whats been posted about it and I believe to the most recent patch as well.

I seem to have the most issues with it when controling the entire group and targeting an attack and instead the group saunters up to the target "in formation" and stands there until their AI kicks in.

I've been working around it by paying close attention to the target markers and if the walking markers show up on the screen next to the target when I have targetted an attack I pause (or don't release the pause) grab the group again and then use the sword icon on the interface (bottom left side) to signal an attack and click on the target - if this removes the walking markers I know they are now set to attack.

It seems to happen a little less when targeting single characters and for me it not only happens when trying to attack but when trying to target any sort of interaction - talk, loot, open door or chest.

Another suggestion I saw was to click faster (don't hold the mouse button down as long)

I started a thread about it but only got one reply then saw a couple other threads but can't recall enough about them to search for them effectively (and they may be in the bug section which doesn't use search)

Found a thread about it:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16329/post-patch-trouble-opening-doors-and-containers#latest

And according to a thread I just looked at the problem has been fixed internally and will be applied with the next patch.
    SirK8 said:

I've found if I use Neera like a normal mage (meaning don't use that reckless spell), she's had mostly minimal impact on the party. There have been a few mishaps, but overall not too bad.

I just had a Wild Surge with Neera in the Bandit Camp, had almost finished pre-buffing before the tent containing Raemon, Venkt, Hakt and Britik, then thought "Neera has Strength memorised, I might as well cast that on my Blade" - Wild Surge -> Hold Person. I'd used pretty much all my spells up buffing, so had to go into the encounter without CHARNAME (so without him using Offensive Spin, fully buffed and wearing the Weapon Expertise Gloves and dual-wielding Drizzt's +3 Icing Death and the +1 Wakazashi... so missed out on *alot* of offensive power), oops! Neera had even cast Chaos Shield first! I don't like to reload (though have done twice in this game, so I haven't been posting here) if I can help it, so I went into the tent anyway, as everyone else was buffed. Was a close call and Neera got killed by the Hobgoblin Archer, but I'm not playing a no-ressurection game, so I'll revive her later (especially as she's now in a romance with CHARNAME...). Eventually the Hold Person spell wore off CHARNAME and I was able to use his offensive spin to devastating effect vs. Taugosz.

Neera also had a Wild Surge -> Blast in the encounter with the Amazon's after Nashkel Mines, which nuked Safana and damaged Dorn, but seemed to do no Damage to CHARNAME (I guess I saved vs, spell, I also had 50% fire resistance due to Icing Death), at least it also killed two of the Amazons and damaged another.

I don't mind the wild surges too much, it adds to the fun, and try to roll with them, but I don't think you can avoid a reload with some of them (e.g. Summoning a Pit Fiend, though this hasn't happened to me in this game... yet).
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    You do know there is an edit-button, @Bhaaldog? :P 3/4 posts within an hour is a little excessive, with one of them being a quote which you have said like 20 times already. :')

Planning on a run myself now. But I'll do it in the original. I hate playing games which have possible patches/changes incoming that I cannot enjoy anymore. So... I'll play the enhanced version when it's done. :) Human thief is the plan. Rolled 18-18-18-8-8-18. Will probably go for the canon party and just keep on playing if I fail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SargielSargiel Member Posts: 35
    PC Name: Aelric Darkblade
    Race: Human
    Class: Blackguard
    Alignment: CE
    Str: 18/47
    Dex: 18
    Con: 18
    Int: 10
    Wis: 10
    Cha: 18

Proficiencies: Two-handed Sword **; Two-Handed Weapon Style **;

Difficulty: Core (except when levelling :) )

Party: Aelric, Montaron, Xzar, Kagain, Viconia and Dorn. Admittedly a bit melee heavy with 2 Blackguards plus Kagain however I quite like the idea of packing a big punch and the others can deal with magic & traps ably enough.

So far so good. Cleared East of Candlekeep and picked up Monty and Xzar. Heading east to the crossroads our merry band again cut through any resistance making use of missile fire rather than risking melee combat (or sword breakage!) at this stage. Ring of Protection plus Ogre belt will come in handy.

Next popped into Beregost to pick up Kagain before clearing out the spiders in the abandoned house and heading up to The Friendly Arm Inn. Defeated the first assassin and cleared the surrounds of hobgoblins before marching East to find Viconia and a suit of plate from her assailant. Also found a rather nice ring for Xzar.

Back down to Beregost to deal with an altercation in Feldposts Inn and Silke's betrayal. At this stage Xzar hinted subtlety that we should get a move on in heading south to Nashkal..

Cleared south of Beregost and obtained a nice pair of boots for Montaron (must remember to complete the quest then kill the light-fingered owner) as well as a message to pass on for another Ring of Protection.

South again and a hobgoblin camp felt our fury. Did also find a small family fallen together and stopped to pick up an heirloom - might come in handy later?

Naskhal reached and another assassin dispatched. Also found some rather nice armour in a field ;) After trading for supplies headed for the mines and an ambush where we find the last member of the party - Dorn.

After the ambush the group heads back to Nashkal to rest up (and ensure my first ability is earned while reputation is disliked :) ).

Planning to track down the Ogre with the 2handed sword +1 and then take on the mad priest before returning to the mine..

Also what are peoples thoughts RE my next choices for weapon proficiencies for the Blackguards ? Level 3 is creeping up :)
    Headed over to The Lonely Peaks and hunted down Arghain to grant my Blackguard a 2Handed Sword +1 (and no more breakages! :) ). Remembered to send in Monty to disarm the trap in the cave - otherwise the Ettercap can be a pain. Remainder of the map was pretty tame although Ioin's merry band of bandits did give Kagain a few extra holes before we closed to melee - their archery was frighteningly accurate. And Xzar unfortunately found himself in need of a priest after a Kobold Kommando appeared behind the party while the rest were engaging some ogres and promptly killed my pet necromancer with one shot... >.<

Once the necessary resurrection was out the way my merry band moved to the Red Canyons to hunt for Bassilus.. and find him they did. Disabling his undead minions with some creative dialogue he quickly fell to the party without getting off a spell.

Zargal and his Hobgoblins gifted Montaron with a nice Shortsword +2 which means all four fighters have magic weapons (Dorn, PC, Kagain & Montaron). After clearing the rest of the map and rescuing our favourite talking chicken it was time to level up. By this time most of the party was level 3 so I needed to make a decision on the Blackguards.. And in the end I gave Dorn a * in Quarterstaff and a * in Halbards to my PC. Perhaps I should have done it the other way around to get proficiency in a blunt weapon for the main character but..

Next steps will be to clear High Hedge then return to Nashkal to face the mines! :)
    The denizens of High Hedge living and dead fell swiftly and it was at this point a change of plan took effect. Given that four of the party will be wearing heavy armour I decided to head north of The Friendly Arm Inn and cleared the open map in my search for Ankheg. Gathering up all the Ankheg shells I could carry and 4000 coins a visit was paid to the smithy in Beregost. At least this way the clock is ticking while I clear the mines...

Heading south I crossed Greywolf and lived and depopulated the rest of the map before descending into the mines. In relatively short order Mulahey was trapped in his lair and dispatched along with all his minions.. Returning to Nashkal another assassin found the tables turned and the party prepared to hit the road.

Next step will be to go to Beregost for some shopping and then commit an evil deed before resting after our exertions - current reputation is average so need to get that down before dreaming my way into the next chapter ;)