Skip to content

Attention: Alora is now amazing.

Comments

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    edited December 2012
    @Quartz - thanks for the insight! Pity she's good-aligned...
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Interesting, stuff, thanks Quartz.

Personally I've never felt the need to optimise NPC team loadout, but I don't think I've ever tried her, though I shall this playthrough. For Alora, I may even be tempted to find and equip her with the Giant Strength belt, I'm more than content to wait until she hits level 8 that I can pick up Sling Proficiency for her (I honestly can't imagine her wielding a melee weapon to benefit from a weapon style).

I assume with double Luck bonus that also applies to THAC0, meaning she'll be hitting on 10s or 11s before her +3 Sling, and with the belt, one assumes a respectable 9-13 damage a hit (x4 on a Backstab), and the fact she can grab Open Locks, Trap Finding and Pick Pocket with 30 odd points to spare (in getting a 50% Set Traps, most likely) means I can have all my comparatively point-starved multiclass thieves focus their points into Setting Traps or actually getting Stealth abilities instead.

But yeah, I really would like a ring that gives a +2 luck bonus to THAC0, AC, and Saves along with a +10% thief skill bonus. What about a lucky halfling foot?
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited December 2012
    I'm not anyone's lawyer or anything, but i have to say that Quartz didn't say that it's needed to recruit her now, he said she got an overhaul and is significantly more tempting to recruit.

What he said is fine, there is no need to try and fan flames and try to prove him wrong based on opinions we pass as facts (because it's well... our opinion and it has to be right, right?).

Anyway, props for letting me know, i wouldn't know otherwise, i haven't played yet true, but still i wouldn't pick her up anyway, now i might consider actually doing it when i play.

If you also have Imoen in your party, and want to dual her to mage, you could even do it when you pick up Alora, since you're gonna need a Thief then, and let's face it, Coran is ace, but he's not gonna be my main damager anyway, no matter how good he is. About 3 more damage every hit, ok that's good, but i don't care.

NPCs are more than just stats, and the fact that an NPC you encounter late in the game got more "appealing" means only that one more possibility is open if you feel like it.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @DarkDogg ... What @Mornmagor said. You have stated your opinion very clearly which is fine. So seriously, please, please, PLEASE stop derailing my thread, you have done your bit, said your piece, so please be a nice person and respect other peoples' (yes, sometimes foolish) playstyles and don't be a nazi and kindly leave. kthx
  • doomdoomdoomdoomdoomdoom Member Posts: 89
    The one thing you listed as her first negative, is still there regardless of any buffs, and it's still a deal breaker. Available so late that you should already have thieving needs covered.

Her highest pickpocket (and high enough lockpicks) score has always been actually a positive, not a negative. It's tied to the first negative - it's the only thing that makes her situationally useful and worthy as a temporary addition to the party at the point she becomes available. There are a few quests in BG city that you can solve by pickpocketing, also a few other goodies off NPCs and lockables both in and outside the city. And there's not enough skill points around to waste them on pickpocketing on your early/main thieves, so it is nice to get an NPC for that, if you don't like to reload a lot.

And sure, if your party doesn't really need the superior fighter/archer ability of Coran, you could pick up Alora instead and finish the game with her just fine. But I'd be doing it not because of the "overhaul" but because of her cheerful attitude (which seems hilariously twisted if you send her to backstab some NPCs).

So all in all, superrabit's foot doesn't really change a whole lot. Thanks for the heads up though, I wasn't aware she had such a powerful magic item. Too bad it's not droppable. Evil grumble...
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    edited December 2012
    DarkDogg said:

Thats the whole point.
    Why should I rush to get Alora?
    And what about gamers, who are playing BG for the first time? Should they quick-run the whole game for Alora?

For gamers who are playing for the first time, if they are aware of the meta gaming that BG is so used to, then they feasibly could rush to the city to get NPCs like her. If they are strictly playing spoiler-free, then I wouldn't be surprised if they (like I did) just do the main quest because you aren't sure what else to do your first time. By the time they get to Baldur's Gate, however, there is so much stuff to do that they might just find Alora.
    DarkDogg said:

Yes. He's pretty nice at high levels.
    But my suggestion was only have him because of his personal item (that what Edwins fans always saying more spells bla bla bla).
    And you're not right here too. Rasaad has no alternatives or someone to compare with, like Alora has 5 or 6. He's the only monk IG.

DarkDogg said:

You forget, me not.
    In wilderness areas they wear heavy armors. In dungeons of course light. Not a good example.

A little confused there by what "You forget, me not" means...however, even in the wilderness there are traps sometimes (Cloakwood) and even in dungeons there aren't always traps (numerous, though many caves come to mind). In general, I just have my thief wearing leather regardless if they are a fighter/thief or not for sake of ease.
    DarkDogg said:

Yes I know. + low HP - is a one-shot unit. Unless you play on easy.
    But my suggestion was that helmets are not just against criticals. Many helmets has AC bonuses or some resists and so.
    I use ranged fighters in the back too. But if you are in a small area or in a dungeon where you can be surrounded by enemies or some kobolds or hoblins fireing in the back? Possible situation?
    Ohh. With poison arrows or magic arrows - Alora - one-shot. Done :-)

By the time you get Alora, you rarely encounter Kobolds (they are really only common in Nashkel Mines), and Hobgoblins rarely hit as is. Also, many of the Hobgoblins are dealt with at the Bandit Camp and Cloakwood.
    DarkDogg said:

If we are talking about RP - I think "racism" (or what is it called for halflings?) is a natural thing in Faerun, like in real world. Or not racism, I don't know how to say. Some like cats and hate dogs...
    Some hate elfs, some halflings and so on.
    It could be possible, that CHARNAME hates halflings, or elves, or even women :-)))

Sure, racism is natural. I guess my point was just that I thought when you said "If you quick-run the game just to hang on with a midget woman - it's not OK, and not even RP :-) " that it wasn't even feasibly to roleplay with a halfling (because that's what it looks like). Rushing to Baldur's Gate A.) Makes sense with certain characters and certain playstyles (MAIN QUEST IS MOST IMPORTANT) and B.) You get more out of it than just "a midget woman"...
    DarkDogg said:

I see your point.
    But mine was, that in overall Alora is not AMAIZING. (It's like "Skie is amazing! She has rich parents") :-)))
    With all circumstances I'd gave her a "C" grade. BUT only for her DEX and her RING :-)
    Sorry for that, but if she had 18 DEX and no RING - what was she? That was my point here.
    There are realy better vanilla thieves out there or multi\dual.

I'm not talking about her personality or her look. I know some people realy like her ONLY for that, like some like Safana or Cernd or whatever.

I'm not sure I really see the point here. Sure, without her unique features she wouldn't be as usable (if you give her a C even with those, that's understandable). Considering one character without her unique features means you should consider them all that way. Coran's ridiculous Dex and third bow point? If he didn't have this, what is he? Faldorn's Dread wolf? Eldoth's arrows? They are clumped together in the category of "if you consider me without my special abilities, consider the others without theirs too."

I agree with Quartz in that your post had a very condescending feel. I wouldn't say entirely negative because of your usage of smiley faces, though those made it seem even more condescending. It seems that this wasn't your intention, and I apologize for getting uppity with this post and my last.

Also, @Lemernis, thank you for finally answering my 3-week old "kept-to-myself" question of "What the heck is SCS?" I didn't ask because I didn't want to be ridiculed (I am not super familiar with mods).

Post edited by toanwrath on
    Whoops, didn't mean to further derail...feel free to ignore that post
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    When the NPC Project gets up and running for BG:EE, it makes Alora available much earlier in the game (along with a couple other NPCs) so that addresses an issue that I agree is difficult to manage - the fact that you pretty much have a balanced party with history by the time you hit Alora or Tiax, etc.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Quartz said:

In short, I don't mind some lively debate of "hey, I think this tactic is better" and whatnot, but your post contained such a condescending tone of "pure thieves are garbage" that it's completely inappropriate and rude. Thanks.

He had to speak to you in a condescending tone @quartz ... Your a woman now...

I am now going to go into hiding now before my wife aka Boudicca catches me not making tea...
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    edited December 2012
    toanwrath said:

A little confused there by what "You forget, me not" means...however, even in the wilderness there are traps sometimes (Cloakwood) and even in dungeons there aren't always traps (numerous, though many caves come to mind).

I mean, I don't forget to equip my party members. Or switch weapons, armors, buff resists etc.
    Play wisely.
    toanwrath said:

For gamers who are playing for the first time, if they are aware of the meta gaming that BG is so used to, then they feasibly could rush to the city to get NPCs like her. If they are strictly playing spoiler-free, then I wouldn't be surprised if they (like I did) just do the main quest because you aren't sure what else to do your first time. By the time they get to Baldur's Gate, however, there is so much stuff to do that they might just find Alora.

Or might not find her at all.
    What about quests in Beregost, Nashkel (over 7-8)? Exploring areas to the way to Gnoll StrongHold and other interesting stuff?

BTW have you forgotten - only the main quest matters - no time for "so much stuff to do" in Baldurs gate city :-)
    toanwrath said:

By the time you get Alora, you rarely encounter Kobolds (they are really only common in Nashkel Mines), and Hobgoblins rarely hit as is. Also, many of the Hobgoblins are dealt with at the Bandit Camp and Cloakwood.

You said, that you are not going to explore the wilderness and quick-run with MAJOR SPOILERS (skipping all other stuff in the game) just to get a halfling at level 4 (earlier). You need to go back to explore other areas then with her. And Hobgoblins and Kobolds are EVERYWHERE. Even in Baldurs Gate city in the Sewers and in the Ramazith Tower.
    toanwrath said:

if you give her a C even with those, that's understandable

Do you agree with that grade in overall?
    If so:
    toanwrath said:

Rushing to Baldur's Gate A.) Makes sense with certain characters and certain playstyles (MAIN QUEST IS MOST IMPORTANT) and B.) You get more out of it than just "a midget woman"...

It's very strange that someone rushes through the whole game just to get a C grade NPC. Don't you find?
    I have never seen such a playtrough on Youtube LPs from firsttimers or heard from friends...
    toanwrath said:

Coran's ridiculous Dex and third bow point? If he didn't have this, what is he? Faldorn's Dread wolf? Eldoth's arrows?

They all were still nice NPCs.
    But Alora were totally a crap in that case.

Ok. I get it. She is an A+ grade most important NPC in the game :-)
    toanwrath said:

I agree with Quartz in that your post had a very condescending feel. I wouldn't say entirely negative because of your usage of smiley faces, though those made it seem even more condescending.

Condescending? Strange, but ok. Someone called me even a nazi because I disagree with the topic starter :-)

What's wrong with smileys?
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    DarkDogg said:

They make you look like a dick when you use them in a condescending fashion, dick. :-)

SEE?

• DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Do I insult you with smileys? :-)
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    DarkDogg said:

Do I insult you with smileys? :-)

Not at all. I'm simply answering the question you asked at the end of your post.

To be insulted by you I'd first have to understand more than 50% of what you're writing in most of your posts. As it stands now, I can't.

Merry Christmas. :-)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The good-natured ribbing is fine, but be sure it doesn't cross over into antagonism.
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    I just want to point out that sometimes people confuse opinions and facts.
    Facts:
    Alora has 19 dex; X hp; positive personality; lucky rabbit foot; is a halfling; a thief and so on.
    Opinions:
    Alora is an awesome NPC; a terrible NPC; not worth the time to get to her; the best thief; good; bad etc.
    So, please @DarkDogg stop saying something along the lines that 'Alora is worse thief than X' is a fact, because it's your personal opinion, and that's fine. Anyone can have and express their opinion, but don't pretend that those are facts.

On topic: I haven't played with Alora that much, but I always plan to do so in future playthroughs, and now seems to be a great opportunity. Also, rushing for Baldur's Gate city can be quite a ride (Cloakwood might be way more challenging). She is pure fun with her personality.
    edited December 2012
    @DarkDogg
    While I find this to be tiresome and not quite good-natured ribbing, I'll try and come up with yet another response...
    DarkDogg said:

I mean, I don't forget to equip my party members. Or switch weapons, armors, buff resists etc.
    Play wisely.

Thank you OH SO MUCH (that's sarcasm) for commenting on how wise I am in my playstyle. Simply because my timing was bad and I was already in combat when I would have liked to switch armor for a Fighter/Thief means that I am clearly not playing wisely. Also, regardless of the armor buff you get for switching to plate mail, I generally have the best plate armor already used by other party members, and it is such easier to stay in leather armor rather than switch every fight. My thieves don't die because their AC isn't a few points higher.
    DarkDogg said:

Or might not find her at all.
    What about quests in Beregost, Nashkel (over 7-8)? Exploring areas to the way to Gnoll StrongHold and other interesting stuff?

BTW have you forgotten - only the main quest matters - no time for "so much stuff to do" in Baldurs gate city :-)

That's true, you may not find her at all. However, in my experience, when I get to Baldur's Gate my character who is a fresh little noob out of Candlekeep sometimes goes "WOW! A WHOLE GIANT CITY! LET'S EXPLORE IT!" Yes, he followed the main plot because he was trying to figure out who was trying to kill him, but he can get distracted by the glorious city that is Baldur's Gate. To be honest, Nashkel and Beregost seem like boring little villages and I wouldn't want to quest much there, except to find out why people are trying to kill me. But once I get to the big city, my attention span would start to dwindle.
    DarkDogg said:

You said, that you are not going to explore the wilderness and quick-run with MAJOR SPOILERS (skipping all other stuff in the game) just to get a halfling at level 4 (earlier). You need to go back to explore other areas then with her. And Hobgoblins and Kobolds are EVERYWHERE. Even in Baldurs Gate city in the Sewers and in the Ramazith Tower.

Hobgoblins in the sewers? I don't remember this. Kobolds perhaps, but they don't really pose a threat. I have never been to Ramazith Tower so I couldn't quite say about that place. Hobgoblins in the wilderness are not the common for me, maybe I am just getting odd monster spawns.
    toanwrath said:

if you give her a C even with those, that's understandable

Do you agree with that grade in overall?
    If so:
    toanwrath said:

Rushing to Baldur's Gate A.) Makes sense with certain characters and certain playstyles (MAIN QUEST IS MOST IMPORTANT) and B.) You get more out of it than just "a midget woman"...

It's very strange that someone rushes through the whole game just to get a C grade NPC. Don't you find?
    I have never seen such a playtrough on Youtube LPs from firsttimers or heard from friends...
    I feel like my words are being twisted here. To clarify: it is UNDERSTANDABLE that you give her a C, that is not the same as me giving her a C. I understand why you did, that doesn't mean I agree with it.
    DarkDogg said:

toanwrath said:

Coran's ridiculous Dex and third bow point? If he didn't have this, what is he? Faldorn's Dread wolf? Eldoth's arrows?

They all were still nice NPCs.
    But Alora were totally a crap in that case.

Ok. I get it. She is an A+ grade most important NPC in the game :-)
    FIrst of all, your sarcasm is really not appreciated, considering the hostility that is already present. I disagree with your opinion about Alora being "totally a crap in that case". I never said she was an A+ nor the most important NPC, I really wish you would stop saying what my grades for a given NPC are.
    DarkDogg said:

Condescending? Strange, but ok. Someone called me even a nazi because I disagree with the topic starter :-)

I don't agree with the nazi comment, Quartz was angry. I do think that you are rude with your unnecessary and clearly condescending smilies, and your misinterpretation of my views. I realize that we do not agree, but I don't blame you for that. I blame you for your rudeness.

If this is antagonism, I would like to know so I don't continue it, I just really felt that I needed to clear some things up.

@Anduin
    You, my good sir doppelganger, are quite adept at good-natured ribbing and I applaud your...erm...rib.

@GoodSteve
    Merry Christmas sir. I hope you find extra gold on your bandits as a Yuletide gift
    edited December 2012
    @DarkDogg "Condescending? Strange, but ok. Someone called me even a nazi because I disagree with the topic starter :-)"
    For the last time, it's not that you disagree. What is there to disagree with? Did you notice my topic starter was a statement of FACTS? You might want to re-read the original post. There is nothing to even disagree with! I laid down a bunch of facts and said, "okay so now you all know. She's more tempting now." That is my ONE opinion, that she's tempting to play now. Which you disagree with, and okay, that's fine, to each their own ... no need to antagonize everyone with your opinion twenty times!

In short I'm sick of you repeating yourself with your snarky little smiley faces, and can you please leave my thread? I think everyone has a very thorough understanding of your opinion now, and that's what should matter to you. Otherwise you're just being rude with your blatant sarcasm and feeling that you have to narrate everyone's lives. Also nobody likes seeing you repeat yourself twenty times, with :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
    Aosaw said:

The good-natured ribbing is fine, but be sure it doesn't cross over into antagonism.

There's good-natured ribbing in here? I missed it. Unless you mean @Anduin 's comment ... which is quite funny, and he's my friend.
    Alright how about this guys: @DarkDogg is the sort who has a dogma (pun intended) that he MUST get in the last word. So after he writes up another petty response, we simply don't reply to him ... at all. AT ALL. Please? Okay thanks guys <3
  • doomdoomdoomdoomdoomdoom Member Posts: 89
    Speaking of facts and HP, 14 @ L4 and 19 @ L6,
    that is a big negative. Pretty terrible rolls, and they didn't improve her in that regard. One good hit and she's done (on insane that hit doesn't even have to be a crit, or even particularly good for that matter). I guess those extra defenses from her lucky charm help a bit, as well as rushing to BG to get her at L4.

Speaking of facts and HP, 14 @ L4 and 19 @ L6,
    that is a big negative. Pretty terrible rolls, and they didn't improve her in that regard. One good hit and she's done (on insane that hit doesn't even have to be a crit, or even particularly good for that matter). I guess those extra defenses from her lucky charm help a bit, as well as rushing to BG to get her at L4.

Good point! I should probably add that to the original post.
    Yeah, she has bad HP, good AC and Saving Throws to make up for it. Nevertheless, I would not pick her up while playing on Insane.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    edited January 2013
    without reading most of the previous comments, because I'm a lazy gremlin:

iirc, luck modifies the *rolls themselves*, meaning if she has +2 luck, the lowest she could roll is 3 (1+2), and... 15% of her attacks would instantly become critical hits (with single weapon style, 20%), because a roll of 18 would instantly become 20.

that also goes for damage rolls, so the *lowest* damage she can do with an arrow would be 3... and with a light crossbow of speed and bolts of lightning (+4d4 lightning damage), well... holy shit.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Tiax is best thief because even if you DON'T go backstab madness, you have an incredible utility character. C/T is one of the best utility classes there is.

Tiax is simply in the wrong game. BG2 would give him better DUHM, enough spellslots to not care about low WIS and the Staff of the Ram with Righteous Magic to stab with.

If we don't have enough reason to hate that cheesy Irenicus as is...
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited January 2013
    One of my favorite playthroughs had alora in it. It was my "one of every race except gnomes cuz i hate gnomes (until i met jan)" playthrough. I had yeslick, jaheira, Imoen dualed, kivan, alora, and a paladin charname. I loved how kivan and her bickered! It was my first taste of the joys of party interactions in future rpgs. At the time I wasn't aware those were "default" banter lines and not unique to them. But to me those banters make me think of those two
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    I have to admit, I've only picked her up in hardcore runs that went... poorly.

I generally don't like single class thieves, as I feel that in the BG1 setting multis or duals end up a lot more effective.

While she has gotten better, I don't think it's enough to tempt me away from Coran/Shar-Teel/Imoen/Safana/Monty (never was a big fan of Tiax, aside from his ability to summon ghasts). The only real benefit to a single class thief over multis is backstab, and even then monty and shar-teel (and Coran, to a lesser extent) are preferable to a single-class thief. Hell, Shar-Teel can still get x4 backstab and a decent thac0

Alora's cheerfulness is a nice change of pace I must admit, though it can be... disconcerting at times. I prefer Coran's roguishness.
  • RhymeRhyme Member Posts: 190

without reading most of the previous comments, because I'm a lazy gremlin:

iirc, luck modifies the *rolls themselves*, meaning if she has +2 luck, the lowest she could roll is 3 (1+2), and... 15% of her attacks would instantly become critical hits (with single weapon style, 20%), because a roll of 18 would instantly become 20.

that also goes for damage rolls, so the *lowest* damage she can do with an arrow would be 3... and with a light crossbow of speed and bolts of lightning (+4d4 lightning damage), well... holy shit.

Can somebody confirm that this is how it works? Because if so... Wow.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    @Rhyme: checked it out, damage part does work like I've said, it modifies rolls (so a dagger would have 25% chance of doing 3, and 75% chance of doing 4 points of damage), however, hit part of luck seems bugged, and apparently so is the reverse, aka fatigue. it does SOMETHING, but it doesn't modify rolls like it's supposed to. weird.

long story short, give her *darts*. they will do maximum damage, every time, all the time. (not the elemental effect, but even that will have the average damage of *5*, not bad for 1d6)
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

I have to admit, I've only picked her up in hardcore runs that went... poorly.

I generally don't like single class thieves, as I feel that in the BG1 setting multis or duals end up a lot more effective.

While she has gotten better, I don't think it's enough to tempt me away from Coran/Shar-Teel/Imoen/Safana/Monty (never was a big fan of Tiax, aside from his ability to summon ghasts). The only real benefit to a single class thief over multis is backstab, and even then monty and shar-teel (and Coran, to a lesser extent) are preferable to a single-class thief. Hell, Shar-Teel can still get x4 backstab and a decent thac0

It's not the *only* advantage, single class thieves do level up more quickly and can have enough points to put into Set Traps (which actually gets more powerful after level 5) once they've got sufficient points in Find Traps/Open Locks, and don't have the tedium of dual-classing downtime. Hell, I don't even usually dual Imoen!

On the whole though, I agree, I prefer fighter/thieves like Monty or Coran