Skip to content

If you were holding your breath for the Android release... stop.

Comments

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Not a pro programmer, but had my share of experience with Java and C/C++/C#. After the explanation of how BG uses memcpy and complication with .zip files - no wonder they will need more time.
    Hope for the best (and shortest delay)

Btw- I understand the Google 2GB max rule, but they could have tried to get an exception...
  • FungostarFungostar Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 179
    I fear that trying to talk with Google is like trying to walk to the moon...
  • nonameroninnonameronin Member Posts: 3
    I wonder if they could do it like with android version of the Bard's tale: the file that's downloaded from Google play is a client that when launched allows the user to download a 1.5 or 3.5 GB version of the game. That seems like a good work around for Google's current 2 GB file size limit.

I wonder if they could do it like with android version of the Bard's tale: the file that's downloaded from Google play is a client that when launched allows the user to download a 1.5 or 3.5 GB version of the game. That seems like a good work around for Google's current 2 GB file size limit.

I like it. Wonder if Overhaul did or did not consider this. But since they don't really seem to visit these forums, we might never know.

Btw- I realised, that due to this strange .zip form, any modding on android will be very difficult, if not impossible.

• KubusKubus Member Posts: 15
    Unpack, mod, repack. This is the way most of Android is modded. For example, Android themes are nothing more than modified framework-res.apk's. An Android apk is essentially an archive, too.
    Southpaw said:

Btw- I realised, that due to this strange .zip form, any modding on android will be very difficult, if not impossible.

Let's say only difficult... if Overhaul has kept the "override" folder capability and placed it in the sdcard, applying mods would still be easy.

And maybe safer :)
    That is true. Hope they had that in mind...
  • tomty89tomty89 Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2013

I bet they don't have the resources to do so.
    Kubus said:

An Android apk is essentially an archive, too.

And we shall find many lovely .jar inside it too? LOL
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    edited January 2013
    @tomty89 Bard's Tale is awesome and hilarious. The version I received came with the old Bard's tale version I remember from pre-history. I found myself playing those allot too..lol

If you have an android with a decent GPU, I highly recommend dropping the 4$ or whatever on Bard's Tale.
    Post edited by Edwin on
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    How about BG2? Which is quite a lot bigger than BGEE?
    Maybe split it into different parts?

Oh well, perhaps a bit too early to discuss that before BGEE has even been launched on Android yet =)
    Actually the original vanilla versions with both expansions are:
    BG1: 2,50 GB (2.685.970.578 byte)
    BG2: 2,55 GB (2.748.293.343 byte)

I would say that BG2 will fit without problems :)
    Ahh :) awesome
    Another week and no word about BGEE on Android.
    I should have stayed in the arm...err...bought an iPad :-(
    But... apple = evil

:D

I am frustrated too (and I nearly bought an Ipad when I bought my ASUS - before reading a little more about apple products), Ill forget the wait once BGEE gets here.
    And to be honest, I think it is good to not get what you want the minute you want it once in a while :P
    I'm even in a worst condition...
    I have an iPad, but it's an iPad1 (unsupported)...
    and even if it would have been supported, my mother kidnapped it !!!
    Uhoh!
    They will support Ipad1 shortly tho, from what Ive gathered from twitter it may be supported from the next patch.

Speaking of Ipad, at least we will benefit from the Ipad-specific pathces, like touch optimisation =)
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Looks like the wait will be even longer...
  • MystraTheMageMystraTheMage Member Posts: 71
    Oh great:(
  • etotheoetotheo Member Posts: 61
    And I was just about to start holding my breath...

• etotheoetotheo Member Posts: 61

... I am frustrated too (and I nearly bought an Ipad when I bought my ASUS - before reading a little more about apple products), Ill forget the wait once BGEE gets here.
    And to be honest, I think it is good to not get what you want the minute you want it once in a while :P

Frustrating indeed. Like you said, once it hits the Play Store all will be forgotten and BG bliss will ensue.
    Well, Trent tweeted, that Cam is re-writing the resource handling system in the engine. I can feel his pain. As a programmer, who had to re-write internal routines in an application done by someone else because they were sub-optimal (understatement).
    On the other side, once he fixes that, it should make things much easier in the long run (BG2EE).
    @Southpaw

Absolutely agree... even if the statemente from Trent sounds a little exxagerated.

and by the way, Cam is the same guy that made the iPad version... do they have a single person doing all the "mobile" work ??
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    Does the source code for IE still exist or are they having to reverse engineer the binaries?
    AFAIK, it exists and they're improving that
    The latest from Trent:
    "Cam's re-writing the resource handling system. I'm guessing under a week. "

I think that Trent & All should pass more time in this forum instead of twitter
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Edwin it still exists and they are improving from the original source code.
    Fungostar said:

The latest from Trent:
    "Cam's re-writing the resource handling system. I'm guessing under a week. "

I think that Trent & All should pass more time in this forum instead of twitter
    Okay, that seems promising. But seems like a skethcy date, may be 5 days or a month if Cam runs into trouble. *Fails miserably at being patient*

edited January 2013
    Being realistic, if it's the only problem in the way of release, and it takes 1 week to code, add at least one more week, depending on how many people they have in their test team, as they'll have to stress test the game to see how it behaves in all conditions. Low memory situations, for instance.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    Fungostar said:

@Southpaw
    Absolutely agree... even if the statemente from Trent sounds a little exxagerated.
    and by the way, Cam is the same guy that made the iPad version... do they have a single person doing all the "mobile" work ??

That's an interesting remark, which explains the delays. And judging from the way the coding work progresses, I hope Cam is not the only programmer in there. In any case I agree with your post about them maybe dropping here sometimes. (Also with your tweet about offering help, seems like quite a few of us know how to code here and might be able to help.)
    The problem with any fan helping is that Overhaul would actually have to hire the person and place him under the same NDA they had to sign to receive the game's source code. That's probably one of the reasons Cuv, Avenger and Camdawg were hired as there was a limit on how much they could fix only in the script level. They needed actual access to the source code to do more.