Skip to content

Kobold PCs

ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
For a variety of reasons (underdogs, mechanical trickery, Tucker's Kobolds, adorable for some (?), etc.), these ugly, smelly, weak but vicious, dragon-blooded, trap-laying little bastards have been a surprisingly popular choice for player characters on tabletop in the recent years.

If it were possible (and it probably never will be), would you like to see them as a player character choice in Baldur's Gate, possibly with a couple NPCs added up to the mix as well?
  1. Kobold PCs152 votes
    1. Yeah, sure.
      30.26%
    2. No. Ew.
      42.11%
    3. Don't care.
      11.18%
    4. Where's the love for xvarts?!
      16.45%
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    No, poor priority i think.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Doesn't fit with the story. Otherwise, yes please, but not in Baldur's Gate. I'd be okay with such stuff being in Icewind Dale, for example.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited January 2013
    Why not. I have seen crazier things. Not many but I have.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Deekin was annoying.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    Maybe in a standalone DLC or something, I could see the fun in it.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    edited January 2013
    Gotta love Nexlit!

:D
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    @Chow Kobolds are horned goblinoids in AD&D. The connection with humanoid reptiles and dragons came later with the 3rd/3.5 edition.

Personally, I'd pay a fortune to have playable giant-kin (Firbolg and Voadkyns) in BG:EE. They're a old time favourite of mine. Saurials are a close second on my playable-races-we-will-never-see-in-BG:EE wishlist.

• ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192

@Chow Kobolds are horned goblinoids in AD&D. The connection with humanoid reptiles and dragons came later with the 3rd/3.5 edition.

Well, BG2 (and EE, by extension) is about as close to 3rd edition as you can get while still using vaguely 2e rules.

Personally, I'd pay a fortune to have playable giant-kin (Firbolg and Voadkyns) in BG:EE. They're a old time favourite of mine. Saurials are a close second on my playable-races-we-will-never-see-in-BG:EE wishlist.

Firbolgs would be pretty neat, but I guess I'd also be down for minotaurs, gnolls, or bugbears. Love me some bugbears.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Personally, no thanks. But power to you if you get it! :)

Trite as it may be, I'd prefer subrace implementation. If we were talking in the realm of infinite resources, I'd pick "don't care," but the opportunity cost might be something I'd rather have. Rational self interest and all. :)
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited January 2013
    Chow said:

Doesn't fit with the story.

Bhaal didn't discriminate. Remember the chinchilla?
    Yes, but why would Gorion bring a kobold to Candlekeep? And what would the people there have said? I think monstrous races are not an option for the way BG begins. Bhaalspawn may well be monstrous in general, but in my opinion it doesn't fit with the whole upbringing in Candlekeep.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Yeah, Gorion. Ditch the Sarevok, human child and adpot Kobold instead.... Logical as hell.
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    I believe it ruins the fun of the game a bit. In 3rd edition they made it so you can use and race and class combination. I found this to make certain characters feel a bit less special. It's fun to see an NPC in the game who is unique, but I don't like too many options open to the players as it's nice to keep the world's lore intact to an extent.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I always thought that Kobolds as a PC was a mediocre idea at best. And really not fit. It just seemed like a sell out to me. Like a heavy metal band doing a car commercial jingle.

Besides, i can think of a lot of other things that I would prefer being worked on before this.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Would the PC feel conflicted once he reached Nashkel?
    Would any town or city greet him openly or assume he is a spy or scout for a larger band.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited January 2013

Deekin?
  • nptitimnptitim Member Posts: 111
    It wouldn't upset if you could do it but I don't care for it personally, mainly just because of the choice. I always thought being a minotaur would be bad assed, or even a gnoll is cool
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I'd rather play as a unicorn. That horn can come in handy in impaling your targets.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Can't Unicorns teleport? Some people will complain they are OP ;)
  • JustariusJustarius Member Posts: 43
    Doing a distinctly non-human PC well would require just about every interaction to be rescripted. Effort to reward ratio doesn't bode well and I'd hate to see a quarter assed version.

A game that truly embraced the concept of a "monster" trying to integrate into normal society would be fun but I don't think we'll see it here.

But if they are going to bring in monstrous humanoids then Wemic clearly wins out over Kobolds :p

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Wemic
  • kingthrallkingthrall Member Posts: 76
    Deekin I wanted to slay that stupid runt every time. I would prefer to see that beholder in BG2 be your ally for once. The one that always shows up and is so friendly.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    WTB mustard jelly barbarian or carrion crawler sorcerer.

***Yes, but why would Gorion bring a kobold to Candlekeep?***

Because he wanted something to eat?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Monsters being playable characters is more a 3rd edition concept. BGII had some 3e concepts in it, so I wouldn't be offended by a monster NPC being in that one, but it would be very out of place in BG1.
    Monstrous adventurer parties FTW.
  • BlackBrilliantBlackBrilliant Member Posts: 11
    Being a kobold and putting the moves on Viconia? Totally awesome.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    While I have nothing against playing kobolds in PnP gaming, adding something like this would require a massive amount of dialogue change and NPCs reactions. Same goes for drow, hobgoblins, or other monstrous characters.