Skip to content

Kobold PCs

Comments

• KushuKushu Member Posts: 70
    I'm game. I'd prefer Goblins, personally. But Kobolds are a step in the right direction.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Quartz said:

Monsters being playable characters is more a 3rd edition concept. BGII had some 3e concepts in it, so I wouldn't be offended by a monster NPC being in that one, but it would be very out of place in BG1.

There was the Complete Book of Humanoids.
    elminsterCrevsDaakWolk
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    If they are going to introduce new races, I'd rather it be some of the planetouched like Tieflings, Aasimar (Eff you 'Daeva'), etc...
    DJKajuru
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    Well, funny thing is... In the original BG ending cinematic there was a statue that looked like hobgoblin...
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    It'd be hilarious!
    A tiny kobold bringing down Sarevok and his schemes, then outwitting Irenicus and ascending to godhood.
    The entire game, you'd have to validate your good intentions and explain that you're really not there to kill cattle or snatch children.
    So many RPing options in the Nashkel Mines, explaining to the other kobolds why you've fallen in with humans and are now killing your own kind.
    Tragedy when you're outcast from civilization, even after saving it!

Of course, it'd completely change the game, which requires a hundred hundred hours of work, plus making the storyline just as ridiculous as when you're playing a goblin or a drow. I can't imagine Gorion having to explain THAT to Ulraunt.
    So no, please not. But I'll read any fanfic that features one.
    Montresor_SP
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    Others said it. Deekin in those Neverwinter Nights modules. It has been done before, so it doesn't get any originality points. It will add no value to my BG experience.

Beyond that, i would really like to see a DIFFERENT and 3rd edition game where you start as a kobold, or maybe even a goblin (i've encountered a "good" goblin slave in a short story by Salvatore). Or even an orc brought up by half orcs in ahuman settlement. Or, why not do an entirely evil campaign, with the roles reversed (the monster party killing elves, dwarves, humans, and pretty much everyone except goblinoids). Sorry. Got carried away.
    The_New_Romance
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    The one shape I never missed in NWN as Epic Shifter was kobold. It was kinda neat to exist as a basilisk or mindflayer or drow, but ultimately, the fun came from having so many shapes, not a particular one. I wouldn't want to play an entire game as any of these. If others like it, let them have it. But other races like tieflings would be more interesting.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    It would be interesting if they could release an Evil Races Pack and a Good Races Pack. Put the goblinoids (Hobgoblin, for instance) in the Evil. No Mindflyers or other races that are already very powerful before adding class levels. In the good we could get Aasimar and other good non-human races.

With time the game could be modded to add reactions to the presence of those races. I dont expect Overhaul to do that due to contract limitations. Just imagine a LG Orc NPC fighter trying to convince the world he´s a good guy and asking to join your party :)
    RAM021
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77
    more player races?

always yes.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Yip Yip Hooray. Yip Yip. Yoink.
    elminsterMontresor_SP
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    While I understand the reasons it wouldn't work or make sense, I say HE** YEAH! I love kobolds. (as long as they're the lizardy kind. The dog kind are creepy) Besides, we already have models for them. It's not like my desire for 3.5's Fox Folk race to be in BG. (Which would be spectacular, if not logical)
    elminster
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2014
    Chow said:

Quartz said:

Monsters being playable characters is more a 3rd edition concept. BGII had some 3e concepts in it, so I wouldn't be offended by a monster NPC being in that one, but it would be very out of place in BG1.

There was the Complete Book of Humanoids.
    (Totally replying to a post that is over a year old here hehe)

Plus there is the Council of Wyrms (and I mean that in the sense that second edition has other examples of letting players play as monsters).
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaakRAM021
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    I'd love to play or go adventuring alongside a half-ogre.

I remember my AD&D core rules CD offering them as a playable race alongside Half-Orcs. I remember access to Fighter, cleric and Druid, and I think Ranger. I'm pretty sure they'd outclass Half-elves in every way with any multi-class it takes.
    Elrandir
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    @Dazzu‌ I'd go for that! :D I don't want to go NUTS with any new races or anything but I wouldn't mind one more. When you add to many it just keeps confusing and over the top.
    At least for me! :)
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    That's why I suggested Half-Ogres. I mean their stats were polarizing with a max wis of 12 and an int of similar max (and less than 19 str) but I'm sure BG could rebalance those numbers and the lack of level limits means a F/C won't max out at 12/3... yes, THREE!
    RAM021
    Hahaha! It would also add a little more flavour. I mean we could make an NPC mod but none of the gear would work properly and it would be fun to roll play something new. That being said, I would like some unique reactions, like people being afraid or mean to half orcs. Racism against elves or the like. That sort of thing would add A LOT of depth.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    New class: Rat Disciple. Bite Weapon once per day. Decease at hit. Racial enemy: Cats
    Montresor_SPelminsterElrandir
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    I'd trade all my elves for a single kobold.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I think a slightly monstrous PC would be doable. Any humanoid would likely 'get by' at Candlekeep, but you'd have to make new dialogues for many encounters. Possibly a reaction penalty if possible, or rep penalty if not.

I would expect including an NPC option would be more plausible. And awesome. Kobold barbarian! Rargh!
    Elrandir
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited July 2014
    this would be fine if all other bases were covered but if it was just an addition to the current game id be pissed
    It's really not so bad, there's already a crap load of different races, and many wizards have weird familiars like imps and such running around town freely. And there's a Xvart guy in the Iron Throne called Destus Gurn... unless that's a bug.

Maybe I've played too much Fallout 2, where you get robots, ghouls, super mutants, deathclaws, etc as companions.
  • GawdzillaGawdzilla Member Posts: 86
    An NPC would be pretty cool, but I wouldn't really want to play one :)
    edited July 2014

And there's a Xvart guy in the Iron Throne called Destus Gurn... unless that's a bug.

I've always wondered that. Is he intentional? A joke? An accidental sprite assignment?
    @CaloNord‌
    I'm not sure, but I doubt it's accidental. In the editor his race is kobold, all xvarts are listed as kobolds for some reason... and his class is kobold_xvart. His alignment is also chaotic evil like all xvarts.
    Montresor_SPjackjack
    @TheGraveDigger‌ Yea I just had a look myself. Still makes you wonder. Like Portalbenderwindar or however you spell it. . . He was. . . epic. :D
    Montresor_SPTheGraveDiggerjackjackCrevsDaak
  • CatoblepasCatoblepas Member Posts: 96
    I'm all for more species being available. Duergar, Drow, Hobgoblins, Orcs, goblins, Kobolds, whatever. We know Bhaal had children of a number of species, including Hobgoblins, and a Dryad/Nymph if the statues at the ending are any indication. So there's a precedent.

Of course the game would ideally have new dialogue to reflect unusual PCs, and I can remember playing NWN2 and IWD2...where you were lucky if NPCs noticed you were a Dwarf or Elf, or notice that you were a wizard instead of a fighter, etc-much less a Drow, Duergar, Grey Orc, Yuan-Ti Pureblood, etc...so It would be unlikely.

Still, having unique dialogue for different species such as Kobold/Drow/Hobgoblin etc would be really fun IMO. It's fun to imagine what the storyline would end up like if you were playing an Orc-for instance.

I'm absolutely in favor of anything like this that would give more developed RP opportunities, such as more species options and more diverse species options. I'D *love* for there to be some sort of system like in Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines where playing as a Nosferatu or Malkavian completely changed the game.
    ElrandirTheGraveDiggerRAM021
    edited July 2014
    It really wouldn't be that hard to add a few extra lines of dialogue to NPCs. There's already a function to call a character by their race. This is a line spoken by Korgan...

"Ye are a fine-lookin' PRO_RACE! Ach, ye have no beard to speak of, but I be a man of the world and able to look past such things. CHARNAME, yer beauty has overwhelmed me!"

Ingame this would look like...

"Ye are a fine-lookin' Xvart! Ach, ye have no beard to speak of, but I be a man of the world and able to look past such things. Xvartypants, yer beauty has overwhelmed me!"
    CatoblepasElrandir