Skip to content

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Update, January 9th, 2013

PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
edited February 2013 in Archived News
Hi Friends,

Now that winter break is over, we've eagerly waded back into battle.

First, I'd like to announce that Dee has been added to the team. Dee will be a point of contact on the forums, and he will be taking over customer support responsibilities from me. We'll still be around and interacting with you guys directly, but Dee will be specifically geared toward aiding the community. We're very happy to have him onboard and I'm sure you guys will be glad too.

In addition to Dee, I'd like to mention some other important additions to our team:

Cuv, Avenger_teambg, and Camdawg have been added to our team as scripters. They'll be handling everything from bug fixing to implementing new scripts. They've been working with us for awhile now, and we really appreciate the effort they've been putting in.

We have a large patch coming that includes a variety of fixes and multiplayer improvements. It may also have some other... stuff. This patch is currently undergoing testing internally and will be released after confirmation that it doesn't leak any of the magic smoke that Baldur's Gate requires in order to run.

The patch will also be going out to iPad users after approval from Apple. Moving forward we will be trying to keep our iPad and PC patches in lockstep to avoid breaking multiplayer compatibility.

With regards to Mac OS X: We'll be submitting an updated build as soon as it's ready (The same one that will be coming to PC and iPad).

With regards to Android: We're currently working on this. There's some technical stuff here I shan't bore you with.

What of Linux and Windows 8 tablets? AND WHAT ABOUT MY BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK? YOU GUYS CLAIM TO BE CANADIAN, AFTER ALL.: We'll have news for these platforms (except for the Playbook. I'm sorry.) in the near future, but can't mention any timelines at the moment.

If you've been trying to contact me personally, please hit me up via email: pdaigle@beamdog.com. I'm awful at replying to forum messages. It's a terrible character flaw, I know.

Thanks for being a fan, and for your continued support.
Post edited by Coriander on
CuvCerevantJonelethIrenicusDr_AtomicBCFornarolliBugratDinsdalePiranhaParysLiamEslerBercondeltagoBalquoLordsDarkKnight185AedanJTMdarrenkuomlneveseAK47DerDuKeScooterAntontrinitFelixMedillenExcalibur_2102solidus0079mch202SirK8Fluid29GodKaiserHelldosentti666SophiaPhyraxEnialusMeliamneTroodon80Xavioria[Deleted User]CalawenChowhansoloRush_that_speaksAnduinNoonDiscoCatCommunardAndreaColomboEleutherosFlashburnermoOxford_Guyjolly_bbNecdilzorShae_DoDarElectricMonkDecrepitDragonLirikmjsKirinaldoArturKEGman321SilverstarAldericIllustairRemorhazlordkimDragonspearReadingRamboWanderonjunk11The_New_Romanceegalor_originalchickenhedSpaceInvadertoanwrathKunikosBoozillaMichailMoomintrollArveragusSwordsNotWordsDarksheerShapiroKeatsDarkMageBiscuitskotekoinigomartinez

Comments

• JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    This is great news! Congratulations all of you.
    Also I think this new and old team is capable of making BG: Next legendary!
    DiscoCat
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    congrats to you all

also, i love the picture that shows up if you click the stuff link in the first post. why u teasing phillipdaigle, i cant wait to see what is in store for us in this new update :)
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Great news.
    Grats you guys!
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    I'm excited about stuff. Stuff is good.
    QuartzDecrepitDragon
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    We all have eagerly waited for the next patch! Of course, some bugs cannot be fixed even after multiple patches but if the game gradually becomes perfect it's amazing.
    The new staff is just icing on the cake ))))
    And I'm so glad for new team members!
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Grats to people hired, but aren't those 3 modders or sumthing? Whats going to be happen to their mods!? *cry*
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    Congrats to all! it is great that so much care is put in patching the game to make it flawless. Bodes well for the future.

One worry though: no mention of any solid solution for us unfortunate Intel Graphic Card users (the OpenGL->DirectX renderer...). Any progress on this, or is it just too much of a ressource-drain for a team your size?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Great news, congrats to all the new minions of Beamdog!
    Looking forward to the update!
    I do hope though that, considering Apple's fickle approval process, the PC users don't get weeks of delay just because the iPad version also has to wait. Since updates aren't automatic, multiplayer compatilibity isn't much of an issue; if the iPad patch isn't out yet, the PC player who'd like to play with someone on the iPad can just wait with applying it.
    Sarikaduja
  • DLiteDLite Member Posts: 53
    Hi Dee,

Please let us know if something happens in the Intel OpenGL support department. I'm checking the forums (espec. the Windows PC support section) from time to time. For those of us with Intel Express chipset family cards, the game is still quite unplayable when you cast spells etc. I've shelved BG:EE for now, until something happens, or I decide to get a new computer.

Thx,

D.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Drugar said:

Great news, congrats to all the new minions of Beamdog!
    Looking forward to the update!
    I do hope though that, considering Apple's fickle approval process, the PC users don't get weeks of delay just because the iPad version also has to wait. Since updates aren't automatic, multiplayer compatilibity isn't much of an issue; if the iPad patch isn't out yet, the PC player who'd like to play with someone on the iPad can just wait with applying it.

The update policy sounds horrible to me tbh. I mean first of all what % of people play BG in multiplayer, I'd guess it's pretty low, and even out of those people probably most still play it single player, AND even out of those people who actually play it MP with people on different platforms. Seems like they are going to be holding back patches for very tiny minority.
    TheBlackThrone
  • HectorHector Member Posts: 23
    Any chance this will fix the stuttering audio on zoning/switching panes that I get on my Vista PC (that I don't get on my old XP laptop)? I hate to be that guy that brings his bad news to the party but I really want to be able to play on my main device.
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    Great! Its very good hear that the team is recruiting new minions! And i'm very glad to read these multiplayer fix, but i think that releasing the Beamdog server for hosting the game can be a good solution!

I have 3 real life friends that cannot play with me, and i am a bit tired of trying to using hamachi or third software programs.

When we can expect an update in this direction? :D
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Thanks everyone, I'm pretty excited to help out.
    Messi said:

Grats to people hired, but aren't those 3 modders or sumthing? Whats going to be happen to their mods!? *cry*

Oh, we'll still have time. In a lot of ways my work with BGEE has been a great review for the next version of the BG2 Fixpack. We've found some old fixes that weren't quite working and identified several new fixes, so it's actually a nice feedback loop.
    JonelethIrenicusermoIllustairVirren
  • notkingnotking Member Posts: 134
    Good news!
  • theperm222theperm222 Member Posts: 84
    One thing would be great *not sure if this was addressed in another post* but being able to tweak certain settings in the difficulty, ie normal vs core, like to be able to turn certain features on and off as opposed to fixed items per the slider. So if I wanted to I could turn on max hp at level up, but also leave 100% monster damage, etc. Would love to see something like that implemented!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Congratulations to all the fresh members of the team!
  • theperm222theperm222 Member Posts: 84
    @Aosaw great, thanks!!
  • etotheoetotheo Member Posts: 61
    Thanks to all for your hard work! And I'm happy to hear that there is some Android love in the works!
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Sounds like it'll be worth the wait.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Congrats to you all - you have more than earned it!
    ermo
  • agentchaosagentchaos Member Posts: 7
    Sounds great I hope that th next patch fixes the stutering audio on the movies.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, about that mystery stuff: .
    It was a real test of the NDA :D
    CuvBCFornarollijunk11lolien
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    Is it... Adventure Y?

Yeah, about that mystery stuff:

It was a real test of the NDA :D
This discussion has been closed.