Skip to content

Unofficial Game Manual for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
edited September 2013 in Fan Creations

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - Unofficial Game Manual

Download v.1.1.4

[spoiler=Download Instructions]After clicking the link, if the PDF is displayed as an error or you wish to download it, use the "Download" button on the upper left of the Skydrive page.[/spoiler]

I am pleased to announce the release of the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - Unofficial Game Manual. This manual, based directly from official documents (BG:EE and BG1/BG2 manuals), combines BG:EE Manual 1 and Manual 2 into a single, 5.6"x8" document. It adds some content from the BG1 and BG2 manuals, as well has other data taken from the game.

What you'll find:
Updated Spell information
Updated Kit information
Improved tables
Reorganization of Part 2 and Part 3 for improved flow
Update ability score descriptions
Updated UI descriptions
New, full color photographs
And much more ...

The goal of this manual was to maintain the original look and feel of the BG1 and BG2 manuals and to keep the spirit of the BG:EE Manuals, while making improvements along the way.

I created this document to ease the process of adding content and making changes to the current game manuals. I also saw this project as an opportunity to express my own creativity, and as a chance to implement many of the features and fixes that the fans wanted in the official manuals.

The current version is only that, a version. I look forward to feedback and suggestions that would help further enhance and shape this manual. If you find any errors in this manual, please let me know via this thread or private message.

I would like to give special thanks to the following forum members who provided guidance and assistance with this project:

@elminster
@Jalily
@tilly
@PinkRose
@Oxford_Guy

[spoiler=Change Log]
v.1.1.4
-Minor spelling adjustments in tables headings
-Removed Monk and Sorcerer from kit exception list on pg. 34

v.1.1.3

-Add new familiars to spell description from v.2014 patch
-Adjusted a couple table alignment issues
-Removed invalid thieving armor penalties and put in correct ones

v.1.1.2

-Changed thieving armor penalties from v.2014 patch
-Updated THAC0 window description and image

v.1.1.1

-Removed Injuring an Innocent from reputation adjustment table (it was never implemented)
-Weapons table - Fixed missing dart damage
-Removed dual-class restrictions from Experience section (it's listed earlier in the manual)
-Added 5 new kits from v.2014 patch

v.1.1

-Added note about erasing spells from spellbook
-Constitution Table - Adjusted fatigue bonus to read as +, rather than - & better defined 'Warrior'
-Rearranged weapon proficiency description section, moving bonus/penalty information to tables
-Broke Weapons and Armor/proficiency tables into 2 table sections
-Expanded Weapons and Armor tables by including more items (shields and weapons)
-Added additional information to Casting from Scrolls
-Corrected Monk ST vs Spell progression and removed erroneous number

v.1.0.2

-Adjusted formatting on some tables
-Adjusted justifications on a few paragraphs
-Added “Total Roll:"to ability scores in character creation
-Corrected some flavor text capitalization in Special Abilities
-Added note to Turn Undead regarding evil Clerics/Blackguards turning Paladins.
-Corrected random grammar
-Added some missing text for Racial Enemy description in Special Abilities
-Added ability score prime requisite data
-Added note about dual class ability score requirements.
-Corrected error in Seeking Sword, Storm Shield, and Boon of Lathander durations

v.1.0.1
Cleaned up Credits

v.1.0.0
Initial Release

[/spoiler]
Post edited by bigdogchris on
elminsterajwzOxford_GuyKamigoroshiAristilliusEleutherosAkerhonAnduin[Deleted User]FlashburnJuliusBorisovTroodon80SelabocGrandeCPinkRoseLoremasterShapiroKeatsDarkMageDriftwood[Deleted User]YovanethSCARY_WIZARDartificial_sunlightNocturneNStickanGemHounddarrenkuoPseudoDragonCrevsDaakMetallomanlolienAbelButtercheeseBlackLinxrede9Montresor_SPsarevok57s0ulafein

Comments

• AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Nice! Reading time now =)
  • RohndilRohndil Member Posts: 171
    Great work, especially the tables. Thanks!
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    How can this not be insightful!

I gave you some support from earlier comments on another thread... Will not mention it again.

It got wiped... I am so glad and thankful they allowed you to post it here!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There were some concerns about the right people not being credited. The changes to the credits are sufficient. Nice work.
    Anduinlolien
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited January 2013
    BJMJD said:

If I can ask an improvement, can you add the backstab evolution on the thieve/bard and paladin/ranger(for the stalker) on the respective evolution tables ? I know it is just detail, but it is useful to have all information on the table.

The data is available in the kit descriptions. I tried to not have too much redundant data spread out in different areas. The Monk class is another that has a lot of useful evolution detail which I did not include in the tables for the same reason.
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    Oh yes! Thanks! Nice work guys.
  • BJMJDBJMJD Member Posts: 192
    Bhaaldog said:

Sad thing about modern games is that you no longer get manuals. I loved the booklets and maps in the original BG box.

BG:EE is a budget title, which means some of the luxuries like that are cost-prohibitive. If they would of charged $40 for the game then that stuff would of been possible, but I would suspect fewer copies would of sold.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    What they need to do is release a boxed set with all that stuff and some goodies and charge $50, I would buy it again
    Maybe when BG2:EE ships and if they can talk Atari into doing IWD:EE, they could ship all 3 in a box for a higher price, and make it financially doable.
  • ljboljbo Member Posts: 177
    Great work, thank you! You are saving me and I'm sure a lot of other people many round trips between various web sites and the official manuals.
    I'm evaluating the way I laid out part 3 in the manual. The intention is to present data to the player in an order reads best to understand the game.

An example is originally the Player Actions did not mention spell casting, it only mentioned combat, then combat specifics, then moved into character creation information. I moved spell casting data up so that combat then casting, was explained in that order, leaving more specifics for later sections.

How does the player think BG game manual should read?
    Updated to v.1.0.2
    Oxford_Guy
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NocturneNNocturneN Member Posts: 123
    edited February 2013
    Seriously excellent work. A question though:

Noticed my Halfling gets 16 Thac0 when using darts - he has 19 Dex (so -3 thac0 right there) but is only proficient in darts (thief class). I know Halfling's gain -1 thac0 with Slings, but does this also include darts? He gets no extra thac0 reduction when using Bows or Throwing Daggers. Anyone feel like testing this?
    NocturneN said:

Noticed my Halfling gets 16 Thac0 when using darts - he has 19 Dex (so -3 thac0 right there) but is only proficient in darts (thief class). I know Halfling's gain -1 thac0 with Slings, but does this also include darts? He gets no extra thac0 reduction when using Bows or Throwing Daggers. Anyone feel like testing this?

In the THAC0 window it would say Halfling -1 if you were receiving a racial bonus.

20 THAC0 -1 proficiency -3 DEX = 16

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

NocturneN said:

In the THAC0 window it would say Halfling -1 if you were receiving a racial bonus.

20 THAC0 -1 proficiency -3 DEX = 16

Why would he get -1 for simply being proficient?
    NocturneN
    You get no extra thac0 reduction from being proficient, my thief being proficient in daggers with no STR bonus has a thac0 of 20 at level 1 with daggers. Montaron who has no STR bonus but is specialized in short sword gets 19 thac0 on the other hand.

Hmm, this may be some mod of mine, I guess. It's a bit wierd. :S
    edited February 2013
    I thought he said 2 slots? When I say "proficiency" I do not mean 1 slot, it's a general term. Whether you are proficient or grand master, it's still a level of proficiency.

*edit* OK, I see you did specifically say "Proficient" proficiency level.

I verified that a halfling Fighter with 1 slot of Dart shows 16 THAC0 in the character record, but only +3 missile adj. The other +1 must be from halfling bonus some how. I switched to throwing dagger with 0 slots and had 19 THAC0 (22-3), which is correct.

@Oxford_Guy, can you check with your crew on the other side to see if this is a known issue?
    Apologies, I may have been using an outdated wording. From the BG2 manual: Proficient = *, Specialized = **, Mastery = ***, High Mastery = **** and Grandmastery = ***** :)

Interesting. Another thing the devs forgot to mention... :P
    edited February 2013
    That is still the correct wording. All of those that you listed are called "Proficiency Levels" ... rank 1 is "Proficient", so when I say "proficiency" I was not referring to a particular level, just a proficiency bonus as I thought you had 2 slots (specialized proficiency level).
    Updated v.1.1
    Oxford_GuyNocturneN
    Ah, then I understand!
    Hey guys, I believe that your INT chart is faulty. The % chance to succesfully memorize a spell is actually not a percentile chance at all; it's a set number from 0 - 150. So if your INT is 24 or 25 (easily attainable by chucking Potions of Genius); your spell learning chance is 150 - i.e. 100%. However if you have 19 INT, you actually DON'T have a 95% chance of memeorizing spells, more like (and I'm not very good at maths!) 63%. Likewise, the difference between 20 and 23 INT is merely the difference between ~66% - 73%!

I don't know why this was done, nor how exacly it works in BG:EE, but I've noticed some people around here complaining about the numbers not matching up. I discovered this myself in BG2 about a year go, frustrated that my chars failed continously at learning spells with 19-20 INT! Even the vanilla BG2 manual states this as a percentile chance - my best guess is that when BG2 was released it really was, but they changed it later in a patch.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    NocturneN said:

Hey guys, I believe that your INT chart is faulty. The % chance to succesfully memorize a spell is actually not a percentile chance at all; it's a set number from 0 - 150. So if your INT is 24 or 25 (easily attainable by chucking Potions of Genius); your spell learning chance is 150 - i.e. 100%. However if you have 19 INT, you actually DON'T have a 95% chance of memeorizing spells, more like (and I'm not very good at maths!) 63%. Likewise, the difference between 20 and 23 INT is merely the difference between ~66% - 73%!

I don't know why this was done, nor how exacly it works in BG:EE, but I've noticed some people around here complaining about the numbers not matching up. I discovered this myself in BG2 about a year go, frustrated that my chars failed continously at learning spells with 19-20 INT! Even the vanilla BG2 manual states this as a percentile chance - my best guess is that when BG2 was released it really was, but they changed it later in a patch.

Are you sure? Have the developers confirmed this?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    This is incorrect actually... The chance to learn a spell is a % and is actually copied straight from the 2nd edition PHB int chart.

This is straight from intmod.2da:

LEARN_SPELL
    0 0
    1 0
    2 0
    3 0
    4 0
    5 0
    6 0
    7 0
    8 0
    9 35
    10 40
    11 45
    12 50
    13 55
    14 60
    15 65
    16 70
    17 75
    18 85
    19 95
    20 96
    21 97
    22 98
    23 99
    24 150
    25 150

So at 19 int you do have 95% of chance to learn a spell from a scroll and from 20 to 23 it goes from 96% to 99%. There is other interesting information in that 2da, such as the amount of time a Maze spell affects you and the amount of spells/level you can learn.
    CrevsDaaklolien
    I sincerely doubt it. At 95% chance, one should only fail 1/20 spells. I always fail far more than that, sometimes every 2nd spell which doesn't match up at all. I'm not sure of how I can prove this to you; I advise you try it out yourselves to see. Hmm, I will try this out myself soon.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @NocturneN This has been discussed before and it was proven that the bell curve in 3000 rolls do conform to the probabilities described. A long string of success or failure does not prove otherwise.
    Hmm. Just did 100 tries with 23 INT (99% chance) and got 11/100 failed. That's 89%, not 99%, though I honestly thought it would be far more failed attempts. Oh you are probably right @mlnevese, though honestly, these days I never attempt to learn any scrolls unless I have 24 or 25 INT - but I suppose it could be my mind exaggerating the stats when I fail to learn very useful spells.

I apologize for any confusion this has caused; I was certain I was right. :S