Skip to content

Possible to play through with just 1 Constitution?

So I finally paid the price for my lack of attention to spell details. I downloaded bgee for iPad and this is the first time I've played since being 12 years old back in 1998. I've leveled my Conjurer to level 5 whitest constantly using my familiar as an expendable scout. I somehow didn't realize it was permanently docking a Constitution point each time the thing died. I'm now on chapter 3 and have literally 1 constitution . Has anyone tried to play through the game on just 1?

Or is it possible to import my character to my computer, edit the save file, and return to the iPad?

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Now that is hardcore! Try and finish to throne of Bhaal! Do it for the fun factor! And the reload... I mean replay factor!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    If you don't really want to restart, consider using Shadowkeeper to adjust the con to its original value, or maybe original -1 if you feel you should have some consequence.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    What irritates me: If the familiar dies, the loss is permanent. Why does the stat appear as red like altered temporarily via item or spell?
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Well, you are only in chapter 3, so going back shouldn't be that big of a deal. But it does beg the question how you didn't notice your hit points going down and down and down?

Personally, if I were playing a wizard, I would definitely either start again, or at least reload at some point in your saves where your con was at least 6. That way you can find the +CON Tome and have no minus to hit points.

I suppose it is "Possible" to complete the game with a 1/2 CON, but you probably have almost no hit points. And if just one more familiar dies, you die for good.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    1 HP per level is very tough. At least you can summon your familiar and put it in your backpack and have 12 + 1 HP/level. This would be an interesting challenge for sure! If you want to continue, having the 2 constitution after using the tome gets you 2 HP/level so you can finish the game with 30 HP (9x2=18 +12 = 30) which is very doable.
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    30 HP....sounds like Xan's HP at lv 9 >_<
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I played a solo min-stat sorcerer in bg2 (3,3,3,9,3,9) with no equipment and yes I beat ToB. For Bg1, it should be doable with 1 con as long as you dont get hit. Just watchout for those area effect spells.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Bhaaldog said:

jhall86 said:

Has anyone tried to play through the game on just 1?

I can dance on the head of a pin as well!

But I bet you can't do it while juggling an axe, a soup bowl and a hedgehog.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473

What irritates me: If the familiar dies, the loss is permanent. Why does the stat appear as red like altered temporarily via item or spell?

The reduction you get from a killed familiar is not directly reducing your rolled stat. Instead it's done through an affect, basically your character gets an permanent debuff that reduces CON.
    This is interesting. Try to get a beholder to use dispel magic/antimagic ray on you. The negative effect may get dispel.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Freche said:

The reduction you get from a killed familiar is not directly reducing your rolled stat. Instead it's done through an affect, basically your character gets an permanent debuff that reduces CON.
    You could try turning on the cheat keys and heal with Ctrl + R, it seems to remove all buffs and debuffs on the character. If it is really done through a debuff it should remove the Con reduction.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Kaltzor said:

Freche said:

You could try turning on the cheat keys and heal with Ctrl + R, it seems to remove all buffs and debuffs on the character. If it is really done through a debuff it should remove the Con reduction.
    This did not adjust the constitution. (I did this when testing where the Con dropped below 3).
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    edited January 2013
    Kaltzor said:

Freche said:

Or you can load the character in ShadowKeeper and you will see that even if your con is way down in game, the first tab will show you what you did roll + eventual manual, then go to the Affects tab and you will see that you are affected by CON and HP reduction.

I believe Ctrl + R clears eventual States you might be in, which is basically another kind of buffs and debuffs.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Aren't there certain unavoidable instances of damage being taken in BG2 and ToB during cutscenes/conversations? It's pretty minor, but with only one constitution...
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Madhax said:

Aren't there certain unavoidable instances of damage being taken in BG2 and ToB during cutscenes/conversations? It's pretty minor, but with only one constitution...

They did fix the one at the beginning of BG1. A 1hp character actually died before in the gorion cut scene.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Meh, try to keep playing.

Quaff some fortitude potions for tougher battles. Get the CON tome. You can also drink the violet potion and get +2 CON (however it sets your dex to 3 as well) along with the 25 Strength.
    Madhax said:

Irenicus's torture in bg2 inflicts 6 dmg. However the default starting level is lvl 7 so 1 con pc still barely survives.
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Based on the responses received thus far, I think the answer to the OP's original question is "we don't know, but you should try it for science".

And the constant reloading might seem tedious and horrible at first, but this is the pursuit of human knowledge we're talking about. Go for it.
    No, I think it is definitely doable, even solo. Just some reloads if you are careful.
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    turn up difficulty to insane, then solo it.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Bhaaldog said:

jhall86 said:

Has anyone tried to play through the game on just 1?

I can dance on the head of a pin as well!

I have taken some constitution and none are the wiser.

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    It's worth noting that Familiar constitution loss persists after the potion of fortitude.

In fact, if you were to quaff a potion of Fortitude when you had a natural con of 19 reduced to 1, you'd die as soon as you finished chugging.

If it were done by actual reductions, you'd actually be able to abuse that system to end up with a 25 Con by killing two familiars at 1 Con.
    That reminds me that there is a rod of terror in bg2 that reduces the user's charisma by 1 at some percentage that every time the hit strikes a target. I read ppl have abused that and gave themselves 25 charisma. It's funny cuz one moment before you were the hideous creature alive and the next moment you are the prettiest person in the realm.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    LOL! Case Study of why *not* to let your familiar die...
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited January 2013
    Kaltzor said:

I "THINK" this merely executes the Rest healing function. So anything that is of a permanent nature such as a curse shouldn't be removed (I would surmise).

LOL! Case Study of why *not* to let your familiar die...

My old DM had this thing where we as a party walked in on this mage battle that was going on. One of the Wizards was struck by a lightning bolt and then staggered away. He reached into his robe and pulled out a burnt and toasted toad, declaiming "Rupert! You die?" And then he crumpled into a sobbing mess. The guy was very theatrical in his presentation. It was very touching. We all burst out laughing.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    and how would you justify 1 consitution? your character passed through a nuclear mushroom and contacted a rare form of bone cancer bla bla bla?

sorry but it would be better to play another character(subjective) rather than suffer through this-note that this character will be an extreme frustration in the future if you import him to bg 2 and tob,he will jut keep dying by random aoe.