Skip to content

Why do so many people on the Steam forums hate this game?

Why do so many people on the Steam forums hate on this game and say the mods added all the features that this enhance version comes with?

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited January 2013
    They were probably expecting more of a remake, rather than just enhanced, even though the clue is in the name.

Certainly there are some very good mods, and probably, so long as they're willing to spend a lot of time installing them, for some people who still own the original games there's no urgency to buy the Enhanced Edition.

I have both, and personally I don't mind paying $20 for the convenience of having things like higher resolution and widescreen built in for me (mods make everything too tiny for my liking), as well as all the other new content. I know some people do have trouble setting up mods and getting them to work as well, so for them the Enhanced Edition is very useful.
    Post edited by Coutelier on
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited January 2013
    @Gustx8
    Just what do they say exactly? Care to provide the link so I can take a read? I just couldn't comprehend how BG:EE could be hated...I'd like to see their reasons.:D

"mods added all the features that this enhance version comes with" - or is that all they usually say? I can guess that 90% of them haven't actually played the game or seen the recent patches.
  • Lately it seems every time a game launches its forums get overrun with haters. The Steam forums (which seem to have a higher hater ratio than other communities) are just late to this particular party.

It will not end, you know.
  • ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    You honestly expect CS kiddies to 'get' this game at all? Much less an Enhanced Edition?

Idiots who don't know what they're talking about over hype things. Morons take it on board without question and spread it. Frothing masses of the interwebs just feed off each others' comments instead of actually finding anything out for themselves.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    steam sucks it's full of kids who play mindless war time fps games like Cod 1, 2, 3, 4, black ops 1, 2 and don't even understand the word nostalgia
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Yeah, I'd say there's a big difference between Steam the (valuable, used-by-a-broad-spectrum-of-gamers) service and the Steam forums. The name might be the same but the user base certainly is not.

As for the original question, well, haters are predisposed toward hateful behavior. I think that's what the kids are saying nowadays.
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    edited January 2013
    My first reaction to this post was to think: They Do?
    Seriously now, if they do in an entirely different forum, let them. We should not bother unless they start a thread here. Oh wait, some people did. And other people answered back. Ok, that's settled. Lets not turn this into an "us against the steam people" issue. Or into an "us old gamers against the youngsters" generational conflict. The former is nonsensical, tha latter makes me feel old.

EDIT: Oh, i see... I just read that the game is now distributed via steam as well. They are going to have the same discussions all over again in the forums there, aren't they?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Kaigen said:
    Urgh, I'd seen this thread floating around for a while, but had avoided reading it till now. It made my head hurt...

But I did encounter something new: "omg²" and "omg^10"
    I had never seen an acronym raised to an exponent before. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    @Kaigen I take back what I said...it's a very long read of whining, I don't want to hear their reasons anymore.;p

To be honest though, I don't dislike games like CoD...it's best played online or better yet, LAN with friends. Mass Effect is similar to some extent and is also an outstanding game. It's just that BG is different league on its own...it hardly ever gets old, I can't help but get back every now and then. But after a several years, it's starting to take its toll..but thanks to Overhaul; it's been like stem-cell therapy.;p
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    edited January 2013

steam sucks it's full of kids who play mindless war time fps games like Cod 1, 2, 3, 4, black ops 1, 2 and don't even understand the word nostalgia

This post is as equally unfounded and ignorant as some of the ones on Steam ATM.

You do realize that every time an oldie game gets re-released or goes on sale on Steam, it goes straight to the top of the sales chart right? I don't see how these "kids" can't appreciate old games, when they're so willing to put money down for them. There are trolls everywhere nowadays. Even these forums aren't immune to them.

And after skimming through the Steam posts, most of them are whining about it not being worth the $20.00 pricetag compared to the $10 one on places like GOG.com (same kind of complaints seen on these forums actually). They don't think the new content/optimizations Beamdog/Overhaul has implemented is worth the $10 markup, and I think they're entitled to that opinion. To be fair, BG2fixpack fixes the vast majority of the bugs in the old game and BGEE did introduce new ones, so it's not like they were totally full of it. To top it off, most of the old mods are still pretty incompatible with BGEE.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    If you don't research what exactly BGEE offers over the original, it's easy to feel like the $20 we spent on it isn't worthwhile. I don't personally feel that way, but I can easily empathize with complainers.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Ligg said:

It's not just Steam, it's the interwebs in general. It you're ever in a good mood and you think the future for the world looks bright, just look at the comments on YouTube to get back to reality. Being nasty seems to be the only way to feel alive for a lot of people.
    Gamespot comment sections can be pretty maddening and/or depressing as well.
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165

You honestly expect CS kiddies to 'get' this game at all? Much less an Enhanced Edition?.

Steam is more about DOTA 2 nowdays than anything else. Not exactly a lot of "kiddies" playing that game. The correct term there would be "assholes". I hate to say it because I love the game...
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    There were haters in this forum when this game was released. I suspect it's the competitors who tried to dissuade potential customers from playing this game.
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    Well you guys still want steam keys for BGEE...?
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160

You honestly expect CS kiddies to 'get' this game at all? Much less an Enhanced Edition?

Idiots who don't know what they're talking about over hype things. Morons take it on board without question and spread it. Frothing masses of the interwebs just feed off each others' comments instead of actually finding anything out for themselves.

I'm assuming by "CS" you mean Counter-Strike. "Kiddies" definitely don't play that game anymore... 8 years ago maybe, but today? No way. The more current generalization of "kiddies" today are CoD/Halo players on the 360, because "kiddies" wouldn't likely have access nor interest in PC gaming. Or if they do, you can assume they play LoL or WoW, but I'm not even gonna go there.

Doesn't make sense anyway, because the generation of players that played that game would've likely heard of and/or played BG (like me for instance).

I agree with you on principle though. Seeing people propagate ignorance is aggravating to say the least.

Yeah true... I just lack the care to come up with an appropriate term that doesn't shred any pretense of a profanity filter...
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    I kind of agree. There's actually only a handful of things Overhaul has done (so far) that previous mods haven't already done (often much better). And especially all the bugs that cropped up in the early days certainly didn't help endear it to anyone who was already somewhat biased.

I'm mostly supporting just because I like the game series, and new enhanced edition might be enough to grab the attention of the kiddos who missed it the first time around. There's still a BUNCH of issues with the game I'd like to see resolved, but with the contract limitations, I don't know how much of they can do to release the BG Saga as it was meant to be (ToB especially had so much stuff cut due to time contraints it turned into an extremely linear X-pack instead of a 3rd full game like originally intended)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

ToB especially had so much stuff cut due to time contraints it turned into an extremely linear X-pack instead of a 3rd full game like originally intended

I also agree especially on this point.

TOB is the only part of the BG saga that I find hard to complete, because I usually lose interest halfway through.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Fenghoang said:

I'm assuming by "CS" you mean Counter-Strike. "Kiddies" definitely don't play that game anymore... 8 years ago maybe, but today? No way. The more current generalization of "kiddies" today are CoD/Halo players on the 360, because "kiddies" wouldn't likely have access nor interest in PC gaming. Or if they do, you can assume they play LoL or WoW, but I'm not even gonna go there.

Doesn't make sense anyway, because the generation of players that played that game would've likely heard of and/or played BG (like me for instance).

I agree with you on principle though. Seeing people propagate ignorance is aggravating to say the least.

So, instead of 'kiddies', we got grown-ups who are supposed to have already gone through their puberty acting like morons. Yep, sounds definitely less disheartening to me. Totally.
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    On forums like that only people with complaints post. If you don't have a complaint why would you post on the steam forums? Therefore it may look like large portion of the steam users don't like the game, but it's probably just a small fraction.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Pfft, they're all crybabies who have such a sad lonely life that they find satisfaction in trying to find fault with the game, bash it and spread lies about it. Because apparently that is what makes people feel good. They feel proud of themselves to have 'informed' people of their own, exclusive and precious opinion on a game. On the internet. I've come to the conclusion that most people on the internet are just not worth my time. It's a means of venting their frustrations from daily life, I guess. I'm not saying I've never bashed something, but at least I never LIED when doing so. Whenever I bash a game, I do so based on evidence provided by the game itself. I bashed Dragon Age 2, for example, because it completely did away with all what was good in Dragon Age: Origins: repetitive dungeons, a laughable story, flat characters, over-the-top combat and clownesque Darkspawn which you just couldn't take seriously most of the time. Those are all elements in the game. I did not make those up. But the other kind of bashing (on the Steam forums) is based on prejudices, rumours and grudges. This kind of bashing makes me wonder whether people truly have nothing better to do with their lives than being pathetic internet trolls. At times like these I loathe society. I really do.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I was personally expecting BG1 with everything that was added in BG2, I think it delivered what was expected.
    Aye Kal, it's like running BG1 on the BG2 engine, only better, and more stable. At least with this I won't have to worry about crashing at the final fight...

.... right?

Sorry, yeah, bad experience there. Was using... Tutu? To run BG1 on BG2 and it would always crash on the final showdown with Saravok. :-(