Skip to content

Why do so many people on the Steam forums hate this game?

Comments

• moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited January 2013
    @Kaigen

It isn't that the concerns aren't valid. I think that a lot of those concerns aren't taking into account the level of support and timely fixes that we have seen, and what that is worth.

I'm not blaming the Steam community for that and saying they are wrong and stupid and need to go die in a car fire, I'm saying that they might see things differently if they had experienced the speed of support and updated and communication that we did after launch.

I am blaming the individuals on Steam who are calling this a scam and that they stole the work of others and are trying to sell it.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited January 2013
    "Overhaul's version doens't have "most of the good mods pre-installed." The company is also trying to shut down fan sites that have been around since the first relese (spellhold studios, gibberlings 3, etc.) because they don't want people to realize that all they're doing is capitalizing on other people's work that's been out there for free for over a decade"

Yes. They try to shut down the sites, by letting them link their mods and talk about them on their forums openly... and giving them a forum section.
  • kajeliskajelis Member Posts: 8
    The people on the Steam forum or mostly making uninformed assumptions of BGEE. Some are expecting a drastic miracle of outstanding extraordinariness(I know, not a word). Can't compare this game to current games, its an enhancement of the 98' game so no amazing 3D graphics, just a mentally stimulating game. :) I've enjoyed this game a lot so far and I am still on my first run with it. I will probably do multiple runs on this and really don't care if it isn't appreciated by some uninformed people.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

My personal favourite:
    "The company is also trying to shut down fan sites that have been around since the first relese (spellhold studios, gibberlings 3, etc.) because they don't want people to realize that all they're doing is capitalizing on other people's work that's been out there for free for over a decade."

http://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/864957182834220523/#c864957182835925689

Priceless.

Bye!

I was going to go with "..." but that would be a waste of a post. I'm going to assume they mean the time that Gibberlings 3 was out of action a while back? Otherwise, I have no idea what's being discussed right there. I'm not going to laugh and poke fun at the misinformation. I'm not even going to bash the person who made that comment, get uppity, or be annoyed and wind myself into a knot. I'm just speechless. I imagine my expression to be something like this.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I was on that forum for a good year or so. I had a horrible post-to-reputation ratio, and I got banned eventually.

You guys can take that howeer you want.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited January 2013
    @Quartz, I am very sorry that happened to you. I had no idea it was even possible to get banned from the Steam forums based on some arbitrary mathematical formula.

I know that you are very opinionated, and that sometimes you are a bit aggressive in how you express those opinions when you get angry, but I can't imagine your ever posting so violently as to warrant being banned anywhere.

@{{@Quartz}}
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @belgarathmth I just figured I'd post it for some perspective. Most people seem to decently like me here, so ... what I'm saying is, the Steam User Forums are 95% crap. They should be avoided under most circumstances.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited January 2013
    @Quartz, well, I find the Steam forums to be kind of middle-of-the-road as far as general hostility and combativeness.

The worst forums I've ever had the extreme displeasure of interacting with were Blizzard's. Those people act like they're logging on to a gang fight, complete with knives, rusty old chains, and even guns. They are predatory and consistently emotionally violent, perpetually looking for anyone they can dominate and belittle.

As an analogy, if this forum is Heaven, Steam is Purgatory, and Blizzard is Hell.
  • As an analogy, if this forum is Heaven, Steam is Purgatory, and Blizzard is Hell.

Which explains why I only go on the Steam forums when I run into a game-killing bug.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    edited January 2013
    Honestly this forum has been great for help, community, mods...you name it.

I use steam but I am glad I bought the game during prerelease.

I don't use the steam forums because I never find them to be helpful.

So...whatever, a bunch of people who don't appreciate this game because it's older generation or whatever don't matter. I recently finally bought Mass Effect even though I've avoided playing it.

I'm glad I did...it's dated by today's standards but it's fun.

These things are meant to help you decompress and have fun...anyone who's a whiner about something so arbitrary doesn't get laid very often I'd bet.

Why waste time slagging on something if it's not your poison? I'm a musician, a published songwriter, and a record label owner in real life. I have my own opinions about music. But I wouldn't fault someone for listening to something I don't find very engaging.

I would maybe explain why it's not my thing if pressed, but these are subjective things...it's all entertainment.
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160

Nice thread. BGEE forum posters hating on Steam players because the Steam players are hating on a game.

A general view between Steam and BGEE forum posters:
    - Steam players hating on a game
    - BGEE forum players hating on other people.

This thread really highlights some people's extreme views and some of which comes across as fanboyism. eg. You hate my game so I'll hate you.

The stuff of primary school children.

You mess with me, you mess with YOU!
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381

Who knows!

Maybe it's because when you cast a spell, there is no visual target showing you where the spell is going to be applied?

It's because folks want an always active DRM through Steam, instead of one-shot of BeamDog?

Maybe it's because there are no achievements to be rewarded for a 4x combo attack, or rolling three 1's in a row?

Perhaps it's due to having only 2d graphics instead of a 3d, first perspective gaming experience?

Or that there's no '!' over the head of quest giving non-player characters?

Could it be there's too much reading?

Or lack of voice overs like modern games of today?

No guns?

Oh! I know! It's the removal of a screen appearing when you save the game?

No! It's because of some conspiracy that Beamdog is trying to take down BG modding sites that offer mods the Enhanced Edition offers for a price ... and they don't want you to know about it! *gasps wildly*

Rly. 1/2 of da posts they're r riddled w/ so much grbage it like the skool bus aint pick ppl up. Srsly!

OMG SRSLY TME 4 CODBO2 YO!

hahahahaha! :)
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Out of the 3.1k posts of tacc in Steam, I wonder how many are as garbage as this?

Quote time!
    Oh, this is lovely "shadows and bael"
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/864957182772084468/

I read one of the responses, and I found it very funny:

"Kinda want to slap you in the mouth.

But I can't because this is the internet.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited January 2013
    @Quartz said:

I was on that forum for a good year or so. I had a horrible post-to-reputation ratio, and I got banned eventually.

You guys can take that howeer you want.

A matter of time before you get banned here to dude :P

• ToffeeToffee Member Posts: 55

You honestly expect CS kiddies to 'get' this game at all? Much less an Enhanced Edition?

"CS kiddies"?

You're referencing a game that came out seven months after baldur's gate, and you're calling 'us' kiddies.

The more pressing question would be: "Why are people here such snobs and what topic would provide the most favourable conditions for a grand gathering?"
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    Epic, EPIC post scriver.

And Toffee, refer to my previous post about complaints of my example.

*also hands out grains of salt*
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Mass Effect is not dated, its an xbox360 game and has the same level of quality as games made today, which are also xbox360 games. BG on the other hand was made for a calculator, relatively speaking.

People arent hating on the game, most just say "game is great, but get a different version instead". They are asking why should they pay money for this remake and im not seeing steam game description listing these advantages over the modded bg version.

For example saying "supports widescreen" cries foul to old players, knowing its easy to get that for the original game too. New players dont even know it didnt support widescreen, so that info is irrelevant to them as well.

• ToffeeToffee Member Posts: 55
    It's been over a month since I got this version of the game and while I've found good information here, (especially regarding changes) the tone of the forum very much makes me think of Anomen.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    As long as we aren't Yoshimo...
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Toffee said:

It's been over a month since I got this version of the game and while I've found good information here, (especially regarding changes) the tone of the forum very much makes me think of Anomen.

Yeah, it's nothing new, there's always been a loud contingent of overly defensive posters here who seem to take negative opinions of the game quite personally. I don't really know what to make of it.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I like steam :/
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

Toffee said:

Yeah, it's nothing new, there's always been a loud contingent of overly defensive posters here who seem to take negative opinions of the game quite personally. I don't really know what to make of it.
    I agree. Hell, I've probably been one of those overly defensive posters at one point or another. I find it largely depends on the tone of the post from the person complaining. The internet seems to have a polarizing quality about it; when someone starts vehemently arguing for one side of an issue, people who would normally be moderates end up becoming equally extreme in support of the other side. Especially if the person is really rude, because then it can become sort of personal, where you're not so much arguing something because you're really passionate about it, but rather because you just want to beat the other guy.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Cracked has some really interesting articles about that very thing.

For my own experience, I've noticed that I'm more likely to "lash out" if I'm also having a bad day in real life. Not 100% of the time, but if I'm frustrated with work or money or relationships, I'm much more likely to read something in a way that makes me offended than I am to read it in a way that is innocuous.

It comes from a subconscious desire to vent that real-world frustration in a different form. But because it's the internet and it's text, the outlet doesn't properly give you the release you need, which means you're more likely to continue venting at the same target over and over and with increasing intensity until finally someone has to step in and say "HEY! Calm down."

Usually that someone is me. But everyone has their moments.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Aosaw said:

Cracked has some really interesting articles about that very thing.

I wondered if there were any fellow Crackedheads on these forums. That site can have some pretty keen insight from time to time, especially considering that they bill themselves as being purveyors of dick jokes.