Skip to content

Your favourite battles (BG1/BG2)

Comments

• recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    The top floor of the Iron Throne complex in Baldur's Gate is a great fight. It's always a nice way to break in the many many wands you'll have found by that point.
    Thaxll'ssillyia & Firkraag are both awesome Dragon battles.
    The Yaga-Shura battle on the bridge.
    So many others that I can't think of right now; the mercenary group in the BG2 Sewers is one, as well as the Cowled Wizards battles that you have to endure if you don't pay taxation to cast spells.
  • DejwoSWKDejwoSWK Member Posts: 35
    Ones that I like most are in the bandits camp in BG1 and Firkraag fight
  • morgy321morgy321 Member Posts: 36
    best fight i had was 2 fights drizzed and the munk in 3rd flore of the starting town

they was both hard and my real life friends that did play pen and paper did not belive me wen i told i kild them they did say no way they are protected by gods and are unkillable well kinda just made it all more rewarding for me that you was able to kill them

still remember the guy in the 3rd flore he did not do much damage but for some reasen he had like 200 hp and i was only able to hit 1 hp down a hit

still with all the summond i got from vands and so he did bite the dust
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    The battle in the Undercellar. I always like to fight it in a way that doesn't cause cloudkill to be cast and prostitutes and their patrons to die on mass. I'm very honourable in that way.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    BG1
    - Nimbul.
    - The Cloakwood assassin party
    - The bandit camp leaders' tent. Bonus points for collateral damage!
    - The 'running battle' level of the Candlekeep catacombs, with all the dopplegangers coming from the sides. First time's the best.
    TOTSC
    - The improved final battle
    - The cultists' basement
    Durlag's tower as a whole is good but none of the individual combats there really stood out to me. It was an expansion pack and it felt like one.
    BGII
    - The Shade Lich
    - Firkraag
    - the Guarded Compound
    - the final fight with Bodhi
    - the fight with Irenicus on the tree
    ToB
    - Sendai
    - the Temple of Bhaal

think that's most of em
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Drugar said:

One of my personal highlights is my fight against the Shadow Dragon. I'd buffed up to the max, got all the best weapons out, saved, saved again to be sure, then unleashed hell on it...only for Minsc to kill it in one hit with the Silver Sword.
    Well darn.

I'm not sure which dragon it was. Using Aerie, I managed to land a harm spell first hit. So while Aerie managed to drop the dragon to 3hp someone who was quick on the draw with their ranged weapon got the credit for the kill.
  • MelanchiorMelanchior Member Posts: 16
    I loved the whole battle of Suldanesselar, it really put the entire party to the test, and really gave that feeling of accomplishment, that heroic feeling
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    Jumping in with my first post here:

Like many of you, I really love the adventuring party face-offs, like Draug Fea in the sewers and the Guarded Compund. The fight immediately feels more interesting when the opponents are individual characters with names, tactic abilities and a little piece of dialog, and not just a generic mob of goblins (plus more fun loot of course :)).

I love how BG1 rewards you with the odd encounter when you explore off the beaten tracks. Who remembers "Dax, the fastest dart thrower in the west"?
  • lacidlacid Member Posts: 1
    ..for me best in bg1 was one in archeological digsite where u pick some statue and then some dark knight appears , speaking ancient language, its always very tense and atmospheric for me and at that lvl u usually cant stand that ancient being..
  • Bobby_SingerBobby_Singer Member Posts: 65
    I kinda like the fight against Zeela, Maneira, Lamalha and Telka. Usually I was still relatively low level when I faced that fight and, thematically, because the fastest way there is the back door escape from the mines, I always felt like my group was drained and exhausted as well as lost in the back country.

• CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    Necroing this thread.

I liked the almost endless hordes of orcs/orogs/duegars in one of the tunnels in Sendai's enclave. It's just mindless, massive slaughter, making you realise that your party members really have grown in power since BG1.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I always liked the fight with Teyngan, Jemby and Zekar on the Fisherman's Lake map (the one where you find Drizzt). They can make a real mess of an unwary low-level party. It's one of those encounters that I look forward to and dread at the same time. I always feel like I should make myself walk into them with no preparation but I know if I do there's a good chance I'm going to get my butt kicked.
  • phyltybophyltybo Member Posts: 12
    One of my favorite battle would be the one in Firkraag dungeon againts Samia and her group. It's just a nice party VS party brawl!
    phyltybo said:

One of my favorite battle would be the one in Firkraag dungeon againts Samia and her group. It's just a nice party VS party brawl!

I profoundly dislike that woman. so I normally ahead of time cast my strongest monster summons in the room she ambushes you from and have my cleric characters ready with hold person.
  • phyltybophyltybo Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2012
    elminster said:

phyltybo said:

I profoundly dislike that woman. so I normally ahead of time cast my strongest monster summons in the room she ambushes you from and have my cleric characters ready with hold person.
    Is there a particular reason or am I missing a connection between Samia and your avatar? I am not particularly knowledgeable about the Elminster lore... I actually like that fight and tha party so much that I made an evil party in IWD 2 based on it, complete with character biographies too!
    edited September 2012
    @phyltybo Ohh because the first time I did it I was completely unprepared for her betrayal and got handed (I was probably low level, though that was at least like 6+ years ago so I cannot really recall well). I don't mind the battle, although to be honest for BG2 I prefer the battle with that party in the northern part of the sewers.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    bg2: i like the battle with githyanki right after spellhold. Then I purposely cast a spell to trigger the fight with the cowl wizards.

In the tactics mod, there is the random encounter during nighttime in the athakla city and I get to fight 3 parties (random encounter, cowl wizard, githyanki) at once, with my solo sorcerer! If my reputation is low enough, the improved city guards would also summon themselves and fight me after this battle.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    edited September 2012
    BG1: Fighting that female warrior/mage duo in the Low Lantern.

SOA: Taking on the Shadow Thieves for Bohdi. The Shadow Thief HQ dungeon crawl is a blast.

TOB: Abazigal.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    There's almost too many to choose from for me to say 'favorite', i.e., it's too hard for me to pick...

But one of the wildest ones in BG1 is at the Helm and Cloak in the city of Baldur's Gate versus Gretek's Maulers of Undermountain.

In BG2 I would have to say the battle against Firky might be the one I savor the most.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
    I think the most awesome (and in my oppinion the hardest battle in the game) is the group fight at the last level of watchers keep (when activating the third seal and waiting to get to Demogorgon's chamber)... those multi-armed demons still give me nightmares...
  • XanthulXanthul Member Posts: 57
    As mentioned byLemernis, the Helm and Cloak battle is pretty fun and challenging. I also like the battle against the party in the Gullykin area (can't remember their names), if you are still somewhat low level they can mess you up with spells.

For individual ones, I always go for Bassilus as soon as possible for the hammer and reward. At low levels he can really be challenging with the hold spells (and countless adds if you RP an evil guy and don't use the conversation to get rid of them)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    There's epic (eg, Demogorgon) and there's also just sheer fun value. In many ways the funnest battle for me are in BG1 when it's all still relatively fresh.

The more epic the battle the more satisfying the win, though, I do feel that's pretty much true as a rule. Problem is that there's so many epic level battles that the experience almost gets diluted somehow. I admit that by ToB it's almost becoming a bit chore-like for me to complete so many high level battles.

The Twisted Rune fight in SoA is always a big challenge for me, and comes at a point in the game when I can really enjoy a battle that difficult.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    BG1: Thalantyr's Flesh Golems while being only at level 1
    ToTSC: Aec'Letec and his cultists
    SoA: The Twisted Rune
    ToB: Yaga Shura
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Just yesterday I fought Nimbul.

Managed to charm him (2x Charm Person spells, Cloak of Algernon and ring of Human Influence) then got him to magic missile himself to death.

I'm going to try this more often.
    @tilly I never really got the point of those assassins that you find in the middle of the wilderness. Like, were they just so incompetent that they lost their way, or were they just hoping to find you strolling around the wilderness unprepared? :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I guess Sarevok was really cheap. It explains why instead of dealing with you himself he keeps on sending more and more people after you, often with really cheap contracts. Then he comes up with an elaborate way of framing you rather than just having spies locate you and killing you himself.
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    edited September 2012
    In no particular order.

(1) cleaning out the vampire's nest with Drizzt's help. (very awesome moment in the game)

(2) getting slaughtered by an elder orb. (omg LASERS!)

(3) getting slaughtered by mindflayers. (wtf I'm stunned, and my brains are being eaten!)

(4) getting slaughtered by vampires. (where are my levels!?)

(5) getting slaughtered by Firkraag. (crushed, wing buffetted, and breathed on)

(6) getting slaughtered by an adamantium golem. (weapon ineffective!)

(7) watching shadow thieves and cowled wizards getting slaughtered by Irenicus. (instant death volley!)

(8) watching Gorion own at the start of BG. (awesome display of mage power in that sequence)

(9) getting my entire party imprisoned by Kangaxx. (hs, where did everbody go!?)
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    The one battle I will remember is one in BG1, after being imprisoned in Candlekeep. On your way through the tunnels as you escape, you come across a bunch of people whose names I don't remember. (Worst description ever, I know, sorry.) There's four of them, I think, or maybe five, it's been a while. Anyway, on my first playthrough of BG I just couldn't kill them. I tried every combination of spells and tactics I could think of, which, granted, probably wasn't many - I was still pretty new to the game and the whole genre! Eventually, I just gave up: I gathered what invisibility potions, scrolls and spells I had, hid my whole party, and ran for the exit with my invisible tail between my legs. Shame, shame and more shame.

So, on my second playthrough several years later, armed with a better-made party and superior tactics, finally destroying those guys was very, very satisfying. No one gets the better of me twice!