Skip to content

Decoding Twitters!!!

lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

Boxed-product wise, I don't see retail working well. I see the demand as not uniform and hard to meet with a blanket retail approach.

Edit ***

Im making this a Twitter comment forum, dont think everybody has a twitter account.
Post edited by lordkim on

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    He reckons so many people want different things that a retail version wouldn't sell well.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Kore is correct. I believe if they released a boxed version of the game as they've been suggesting, orders would most likely have to be made directly to Atari / Overhaul Games, payment would be online and they'd post the game to your home. No going to a videogame store and purchasing it like in the old days.
    I want a boxed version. No silly online downloads, I want a hard case and box. I never understood people's need to buy things online and never actually OWN it.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    I have no problems ordering a game directly from the atari/overhaul. but i want to order a boxed version most definitely!

i mean, i understand the problem of dealing with retailers, etc, but i really hope they are able to skip that step, not stop at it.

anyway i think stuff like this begs for poll function at forum. i suggest a poll for the boxed version, that way we can see the level of interest. if only five people want the boxed edition, i understand if development team gives up on the idea... :(
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    I'm pretty sure that Trent plans to release a boxed version, but you will have to get it sent to you rather than buy it in a shop.
  • MoonsongMoonsong Member Posts: 36
    I would definitely like to get my hands on a boxed version.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Thank god. Were afraid that a box-version, was out of the question.
    So still i get my hopes high for box + Maps etc etc :P
    And a soundtrack.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    I think Trent mentioned that they would have special collectors edition available as a box. I think the tweet was referring to generally releasing a physical boxed copy of the game. I agree with Trent that it's likely to be unsuccesful.

When it comes to retailing it really doesn't matter what our preferences are, unless the planned method of release is perverse.

While I'm sure we all have our own interests in BG:EE, and commercial success obviously isn't as important to us a good game, remember that a lack of success may sink the future of the EEs and BG3 for good.

• KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    Trent's made a new tweet regarding boxed copies. If we really want one we're going to have to show some love, I've made a thread about it to get more attention - http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/180/show-some-love-for-the-boxed-edition
    @HeroicSpur

I think it's important that BG:EE do well, there's no point in having one EE and leaving BG2 in the dirt. If they don't have the money or care to update the second part, we'll have one half EE and the other non EE. Or something along those lines.
    edited June 2012
    Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

We're not attending #E3 as the show is so dominated by the big spenders, little guys like us get no love. We'll put the work into the game.

Well you got our love !! And you and the guys shows full dedication to this game !!! :)
    Post edited by lordkim on
    edited June 2012
    Well you are welcome in Denmark if a E4 ever happens here :P
    edited June 2012
    Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

One of the major drivers for the UI rewrite to a data driven system was to ease the creation of potential future games, like IWD:EE.

Its gonna be huge with time. All these great games... :O)

But whats the plan after BGEE2. Is it BG 3 or another EE of a game ?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @lordkim - IIRC, Trent said that if BG3 gets done, it will be AFTER all enhanced editions of existing games are released.
    edited June 2012

June 27 :

Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

We're still hard at work on BG:EE. I just dropped out of the Edmonton Indy GT race to focus on BG:EE. Sad Panda

Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

Just as a point of curiosity, we twiddled some code and wound up cutting the round length to 1/5 normal. Missile weapons FTW!

edited June 2012

June 29. 15:03

Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

Our big push with #bgee multiplayer is to clean it up and make it work consistently and reliably without requiring 3rd party tools.
  • ElysElys Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2012
    It sounds like they inadvertently turns missile weapons into assault guns.

But I guess if one sword fighter manage to close the distance it will kinda act like meat grinder on its target at such round speed xD
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2012
    Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

We plan to support the game after release with DLC.
    We'll be doing free feature improvements and existing content improvements as we go, but we are also planning some paid DLC.
    We would never DLC existing content. Any DLC content we plan to sell will be all new.
    Mods are different than DLC, and as such, will need different treatment, Based on scope of mods, it could be tough.
    Scott was fighting with multiple TLK files earlier in the day. This will open ease of modification a fair bit and reduce content collisions

edited June 2012
    Hmm DLCs. that is a potential issue with weidu-like mods that dynamically modify resource files, if the DLC resources cannot be accessed, for example if they are encrypted.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited June 2012
    Just listened to a new track from Sam. Hint of an Arabic (sp?) feel to it. Will be a great theme for The B**** ****

The what? The Bhaal Spawn? The Black Hound?
    battle plain or something I think, you know one of the new adventures
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    Trent´s comment about the DLC and mods makes me very pleased and excited:)
    edited June 2012
    Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

We plan to support the game after release with DLC.
    We'll be doing free feature improvements and existing content improvements as we go, but we are also planning some paid DLC.
    We would never DLC existing content. Any DLC content we plan to sell will be all new.
    Mods are different than DLC, and as such, will need different treatment, Based on scope of mods, it could be tough.
    Scott was fighting with multiple TLK files earlier in the day. This will open ease of modification a fair bit and reduce content collisions

I wonder if they plan to support other files the same way. For example implementing something like the Multiple 2DA system used by Dragon Age. That would be very useful :)
    Post edited by Elys on

15:05, 30. june

Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster
    DLC=Downloadable Content, not furry earrings +3. The big guys have overcooked the term with badness. New BG storylines, New characters.
    Trent Oster‏@TrentOster

Our distribution plan is sell through Beamdog and provide an updater/launcher so we can push new updates easily. No player required