Skip to content

Trying to compile Weidu in Mac OSX

Comments

• WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @mlnevese
    Thanks. If it installed allright that should be enough. The log is not necessary.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Oh man. I already posted links to that post in other forums. Is there some way for me to add files to my own posts?
    @Nifft
    File host + link and avoid the stupid attachment system.
    @Wisp great idea!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Nifft I don't even know why you have to be a moderator to manage your own uploaded files...
    Maybe spammers do icky things with attachments buried deep in old threads? I dunno. Forums are odd creatures.

Anyway, the dropbox thing ought to be a fine solution going forward. :-)
    edited February 2013
    @Nifft That's a possibility....
  • bobcatbobcat Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    I have encountered a possible problem with escape characters and weidu-mac. When I try to install scs23, I get the error
    ERROR: Failure("resource [bolt02\n.ITM] not found for 'COPY'")
    The source is in stratagems/initial/bg1fix.tpa in this block:
    LAF edit_item STR_VAR item=~arow02 ax1h02 ax1h07 blun03 blun05 blun07 bolt02
    dagg02 dart02 halb02 hamm02 staf02 sw1h02 sw1h05
    sw1h08 sw1h14 sw1h22 sw1h24 sw1h98 sw2h02~
    tv=yes
    editstring=~enchantmentGT=>1~
    END
    It seems, that the parser reads the escpae characters in a ~ ~ block.
    I am not totally sure if this error is weidu related or rather mac encoding or scs specific.

edited March 2013
    It's most likely specific to SCS. There's some suspect stuff in stratagems/lib/lib_general.tpa that deals with newlines, but only whatever kind of newlines are used in the file itself, which happens to be \r\n. And at that, it only reads the first byte of the two-byte sequence.
  • bobcatbobcat Member Posts: 2
    Ah, I see you already posted this on the Gibberlings Three Forum. Thank you very much.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    @mlnevese and @Nifft: I read that you need to have WeiDU tested on OSX 10.8.2. My Mac runs on that...

[Spoiler]I haven't upgraded to 10.8.3 due to having a third party SSD-drive. Updates always screw up TRIM-support, the fix for 10.8.3 is not yet available. Apple is great, except when you want to add a few hardware stuffs...[/Spoiler]

To test it I have a really silly question: how do I use WeiDU to install the test-mod? I tried googling the answer, to no avail...
    Just wanted to drop in and say I've gotten SCSv23 to install on OS/X, the instructions are here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/284576/#Comment_284576
    @Nifft Can the Mac version of Weidu be compiled into a smaller file? It's nearly 10 times bigger than the Windows version.
    @mlnevese - it's 7.5 MB right now. I could get it down to 5.8 MB by stripping out debug symbols, but that's not even a 50% savings.
    @Nifft Strange. I wonder why it's so huge... The Windows compiled beta is around 900kb.
    There must be a lot of redundancy in the Mac version as it compresses heavily as well...
    Probably libraries.

Depending on the type of file IO used, terminal handling, etc., some libraries may be standard on Windows but require special handling on UNIX.

The reverse applies as well -- things which are tiny in UNIX can be huge in Win32.
    Makes sense I hadn't thought about library handling differences between OSs... Fits me right for trying to think before drinking some coffee in the morning :)
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Just a guess, but WeiDU is probably statically linked, while the win32 version can use DLLs.
    All Ocaml programs are statically linked, on all platforms.
    The main difference is that the Win32 and Linux binaries are stripped and upx-compressed. Compressing with upx makes a big difference but may or may not work on 64-bit OS X (it doesn't on 64-bit Linux).
    Additionally, The Win32/Linux binaries are 32 bit, which are inherently smaller than 64-bit binaries (but the difference is probably minor, at most).
    Huh. Maybe I can enable upx compression on os/x?
    edited March 2013
    Well, you can install UPX and give it a try. The other two are simply compressed with the --best option. If it works, I can add it to the Makefile for the next version. Just make sure the executable still works when it is compressed.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited March 2013
    @subtledoctor The current version does not require any changes to .tp2 and if you use the correct syntax it doesn't even require copying the tlk file around but it still must be launched from the terminal.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • RequiemRequiem Member Posts: 187
    @subtledoctor I would be very interested in using this system, have you managed to make a template for modders yet? Also perhaps an idiots guide as I am rubbish with macs, but fantastic work getting this sorted.
    edited April 2013
    @Wisp - Do you mind if I post the UPX'd link here? It might be helpful for other people. If you'd prefer to host it elsewhere, I can remove the link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7pkamavj24a2d9/WeiDU-Mac-231-upx.2013-03-23.zip

@subtledoctor - Nice! Is there a way to pop up a dialog box to ask for a language? Or to run a quick shell script to gather all available mods by using a file-glob for something like "*/*.tp2" to find the driver files?
    Post edited by Nifft on