Skip to content

Trying to compile Weidu in Mac OSX

124»

Comments

• NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    edited April 2013
    Wisp said:

It hasn't been announced yet. I expect it'll be another few days, or a week or two, before the design is in a presentable state.

Difficult thing to build plans upon, it seems :-)

@subtledoctor - I'll give it a try tonight.

EDIT: Seemed to work! I ran it on a couple of mods and it did kick off WeiDU in a terminal shell correctly.
    Post edited by Nifft on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited April 2013
    @subtledoctor,
    TP2 files may be located in the root game dir or in the mod folder and they may have a name that begins with "setup-". Having them in the root dir and with a "setup-" name is an older convention, but still valid.
    edited April 2013
    edited April 2013
    edited April 2013

(Any reason, btw, that WeiDU itself doesn't stash those .debug files in a subdirectory? If those and the mod download files were buried a bit, it would seriously reduce the clutter in the game directory.)

As of version 231.04 (or something), if a directory called "debugs" exists in the root game directory, all debug files will be placed there.

[EDIT] Hmm, I'm seeing a bit of a problem here. The above statement doesn't seem to be true; WeiDU cannot look into arbitrary subfolders to install mods. Example #1: TeamBG Weapon Pack. If I extract it into my game folder, it installs fine. If I extract the files into a subfolder called "mods" and run WeiDU remaned to "./setup-BGeeW" from the game folder, it fails, saying "unable to find setup-BGeeW.tp2." Example #2: Erg's Silver Staff of Aule. It is packaged as a .zip file; unzipped, it is a folder containing the mod folder and WeiDU. So if a player extracts the .zip file's contents into the game folder, as they are usually instructed to, the mod contents will end up nested one level underneath it. WeiDU fails, saying it can't find the .tp2 file.

Is this expected behavior? I though the location of the .tp2 file was arbitrary now (as long as it's nested somewhere inside the game folder)?

WeiDU does not do arbitrary positions for mods. Even if you could start a TP2 file from an arbitrary location, the TP2 file itself specifies at least one path (and frequently a good number of them), which is relative to the root game directory. So, if you had a TP2 as "game/mods/mymod/mymod.tp2", it would (most likely) look for files in "game/mymod/". (Yes, I know, there is a good deal of facepalm in this.)
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065

I forget which thread it's in, but I'd like to point people there. [edit] found it, in page 2 of this thread - linked by @Nifft and I think hosted by

The MacWeiDU stuff is all hosted by me.

Please feel free to point to my POST, but don't just copy my URLs.

The URLs change as the file names change, and when they do, I update my posts -- but I can't update YOUR posts, so if you copy my URLs you will eventually be pointing people to broken URLs.
    edited April 2013
    Are those the installation instructions for @Erg's mod? If so, it sounds like the mod was improperly packaged. If not, the instructions are (obviously) not applicable.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited April 2013
    @subtledoctor @Wisp

I can't reproduce the behaviour described by @subtledoctor .

I just checked again my mod and there is no extra folder (at least not for me on Windows, using Peazip to unzip in the main BGEE folder). The files/folders structure is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\README_Erg_Silver_Staff_v5.txt
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\setup-Erg_Silver_Staff_v5.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\Erg_Silver_Staff_v5\Erg_Silver_Staff_v5.tp2
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\Erg_Silver_Staff_v5\BGT_item\ER_STA08.ITM

@subtledoctor
    Can you please check again using the most updated version (i.e. version 5) ?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @subtledoctor

No problem. Actually, I appreciate that you're testing my mods, as unfortunately I don't own a Mac so I can't test them myself on this particular platform. Please let me know if you find any problem.
    edited April 2013
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    So @subtledoctor:

I am a mod noob, and I want to try this out.

I downloaded your latest installer, and I downloaded the latest copy of Weidu (3/17 version). What's next?

The one little, tiny thing I don't love about your mod is putting that "_v5" into the WeiDU & .tp2 names. You could just call it "Erg_Silver_Staff.exe/.tp2" and highlight the version number in he download file and readme. I think that's what most other mods do.

I only bring it up because I'm pondering expanding my installer to automate mod selection and load order - basically, make it like the BWP batch installer, if you've ever seen that. To do so will mean adding every mod to the script by hand (!). Meaning as things stand now, I would have to manually update the app every time you update your mod. But, I haven't yet made the app do that, and I'm not really sure I ever will, so it's no biggie.

@subtledoctor

Thanks for pointing that out. I will remove the version numbers from the filenames in the next update.

They are actually not required anymore, because now I'm properly using the command VERSION directly in the tp2 script, but I didn't know about this when I first wrote the mod.
    edited April 2013
  • LookToWindwardLookToWindward Member Posts: 179
    edited March 2014
    When I run "BG Mac mod installer v2_1" it asks for the language then gives a permission error on the dialog.tlk file. I saw something somewhere about changing the permissions but I can't for the life of me find it now!

I'm using BG-EE from the Mac App Store if that makes any difference?

The error - "In: /Applications/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources/dialog.tkl"

I can't seem to find a file called dialog.tkl in the above folder?

However there is one at:

/Applications/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources/lang/En_US/dialog.tkl

Does this mean that the "BG Mac mod installer v2_1" won't work for this version of BG-EE?

Any help greatly appreciated!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @LookToWindward‌ - If you downloaded BGEE from the Mac App Store, then the app package will be owned by the root user and your user account won't have write privileges to the Resources directory.

Step 1. Set permissions

Go to the BGEE app and right click. Select "Show package contents". Navigate to Contents/Resources.

Select the Resources folder and then choose File > Get Info.
    Under the Sharing & Permissions pane, click the lock icon and enter an administrator’s name and password.
    Change the privilege for "Everyone" to "Read & Write".
    Then, choose "Apply to enclosed items" from the Action pop-up menu (looks like a gear).

Step 2: Get a copy of Mac WeiDU here: http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/.

Unzip the archive and choose the right set of binaries. If you have OSX 10.9, use the weidu+mavericks binary, if you have 10.6-10.8, use the weidu+snowleopard binary. Copy the binary to the BG2EE Resources folder, and rename it "weidu".

Step 3: Download the mod(s) you want to install. Unpack the archive and copy the mod files to the Resources directory. However, DON'T copy over the binary named setup-MODNAME or setup-MODNAME.exe that came with the mod. The Mac Mod Installer is going to create an alias to the weidu binary you just downloaded for each mod called "setup-MODNAME". So, if there is a binary of that name already there, it can't create the link.

Step 4: Download the Mac Mod Installer script here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80058200/BG Mac mod installer v2_1_MODIFIED.zip

Unzip and copy to the BGEE Resources folder.

Step 5: Double-click the Mac Mod Installer app to run it.