Skip to content

EE Keeper via Wineskin in OS/X, initial tests

Comments

• NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    edited March 2013
    @Cerevent - Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. If we can put a symlink at "~/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save" leading into the sandbox that might work.

Something like:

ln -s ~/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/save "~/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save"
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Nifft I believe that's what the launcher version does. I'm not on my Mac right now, so I can't check.
    My launcher BGEE just created a plain old directory in "~/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save" -- no symlinks.

This is on OS/X 10.6, which apparently does things differently from 10.8
  • TsabussTsabuss Member Posts: 6
    Nifft said:

@Tsabuss - Open up Terminal.app and type these:

ls -ld "~/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition"
    ls -ld "~/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save"

Tell me what each of those prints out. Thanks!

I'm in the office now, but I'm going to try it later.

It is not clear, for me, how EE Keeper works. Shadowkeeper (original BG2 version for Win) was able to find savegames (every file were on the same place). Now EE Keeper runs, but can't find savegames. Normally how does it work? Is it able to find automatically the save directory? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I really would like to use EE Keeper (and as you can see, I don't understand the working method of this program).
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Nifft said:

My launcher BGEE just created a plain old directory in "~/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save" -- no symlinks.

This is on OS/X 10.6, which apparently does things differently from 10.8

Yep, sandboxing didn't exist in 10.6, so BGEE can do something sane like putting your user data in your user data folder
    edited March 2013
    Nifft said:

@Tsabuss - Open up Terminal.app and type these:

ls -ld "~/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition"
    ls -ld "~/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save"

Tell me what each of those prints out. Thanks!

no such file or directory for both

I copied the lines and put into Terminal

The save directory is here:

Users/username/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save

I've just checked, and my save games are there.
    Excellent! That means we can fake the local Documents directory, and it shouldn't disturb anything, since there's nothing there right now. (This is probably also why EE Keeper couldn't see your saves.)

Try this (in Terminal.app):

mkdir "~/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/"
    cd "~/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/"
    ln -s "~/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save" .
    Nifft said:

Excellent! That means we can fake the local Documents directory, and it shouldn't disturb anything, since there's nothing there right now. (This is probably also why EE Keeper couldn't see your saves.)

ln -s "~/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save" .

It did work!!!

The Terminal commands did not work (my fault, I think, and maybe my OS language, it is Hungarian), but I created the required directory. So, the steps (for others, who has similar problems):

1 - Download BG : EE from Mac App Store
    2 - Download EE Keeper and install, as Nifft wrote
    3 - Start BG:EE (I'm not sure, if is it required, or not), make a save (a real one, no quicksave)
    4 - Quit BG:EE, start EE Keeper, set manually the installed BG:EE Resources directory, and a language
    5 - After EE Keeper restarts, it will runs without error, but you can't see your save games, if you want open one of them
    6 - Do as Nifft wrote:

ln -s "~/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save"

If you have problems in Terminal (just as I have ), do the following:

7 - Create into your local Documents directory a "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" directory (without quotes)
    8- Download SymbolicLinker (free) from Internet, and install it
    9 - Go to "/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save" and create a symlink (the save directory)
    10 - Copy the created symlink into your local "Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" directory (the symlinks name will be save - symlink, just rename save)
    11 - Start EE Keeper, and voila : there are your save games!

I tried it, and I was able to edit my save games, and reload after it!

Thank you very much for your help, and God Bless You Guys!!:-)

Great, glad it works!
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    I just downloaded it and it works great @Nifft! I'm completely new to any sort of modding, so your directions helped greatly. One question though, how do I update to add in the new kits? I was hoping to make Rasaad a SSM, but it is not in the Kit list.

Thanks again!
  • resin007resin007 Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2013
    Tsabuss said:

The Terminal commands did not work (my fault, I think, and maybe my OS language, it is Hungarian), but I created the required directory. So, the steps (for others, who has similar problems):

1 - Download BG : EE from Mac App Store
    2 - Download EE Keeper and install, as Nifft wrote
    3 - Start BG:EE (I'm not sure, if is it required, or not), make a save (a real one, no quicksave)
    4 - Quit BG:EE, start EE Keeper, set manually the installed BG:EE Resources directory, and a language
    5 - After EE Keeper restarts, it will runs without error, but you can't see your save games, if you want open one of them
    6 - Do as Nifft wrote:

Sorry to be dumb here, but in step 4 where am I pointing EE Keeper? I don't seem to have the "Resources" directory and no matter where I set it, I still get error messages on restart.

EDIT: Never mind, I think I know where it is now and will try it. A mod can feel free to delete this comment, sorry!

• guido840guido840 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks Nifft and thanks Tsabuss.
    10.8.3 non English Mac OS X (Italian), Mac App Store version, and it works only by following your guides!
  • artvandelayartvandelay Member Posts: 2
    Hi I am having problems with EE Keeper finding the right installation path. I installed the game on my macbook pro but I can't see that directory at all?

I put in the path that you guys told me but I keep getting an error saying make sure the installation path has been set to the right directory. I can't find a "containers" folder in the "library" folder. All I have is a "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" icon in my application folder.

Can someone please help me? This is really frustrating and I have no idea where to find the right folder on my mac. Thank you.
  • artvandelayartvandelay Member Posts: 2
    nm I found it!!11 Just needed to do some digging.. the directory was slightly different. Weeoeooo!!
  • nikkoavnikkoav Member Posts: 9
    @nifft: First off, thanks for everything you've done for the Mac BG:EE Community.

I'm running 10.8.3 and using your Wineskin wrapper of EE Keeper 1.0.
    I tried using the commands in Terminal, but to no avail.
    I then tried using the method that worked for Tsabuss... made a Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder in my ~/Documents directory, created a symlink that pointed to my /save folder in ~/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save.

Put a copy of the symlink in the ~/Documents/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/ directory.
    EE Keeper still isn't finding my saves. It's having no problem locating the Resources directory that I pointed it to, but I can't seem to get it to find the darn saves. Anything I might be missing?
    Any help is much appreciated!!!
    @nikkoav - which version of BG:EE are you using, and which version of OS/X?
  • nikkoavnikkoav Member Posts: 9
    @Nifft - OS/X is 10.8.3. BG:EE is 1.0.1 (bought it on the App Store.)
    I'm not sure if a copy of the symlink will work -- that depends on how the Finder does symlink copies, and I can't test what 10.8 does for you, since I'm on 10.6

Could you try deleting the copied symlink, and making a fresh symlink?
  • yzaneyzane Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2013
    Followed everything and successfully installed EE Keeper.

There's a bug though when you install mods. After you install the mods and start EE Keeper, 1) it doesn't show my portrait (which is understandable since I have a custom one, but should I also be able to see even custom portraits?), and 2) when I proceed to the next character, a text box opens saying "enter an integer between 0 and 1,000,000,000 (enough zeros i think) -- which is weird because all the slots are properly filled out. I just click "OK" and the text box just comes back but this time crashes the app.

Before all this, there was another text box that appeared after loading my save file. "Some files in this file were not found in the app *something something*," nonverbatim. Sorry, can't remember.

The mods I've installed are:
    - BP Series Party AI Scripts 0.3071
    - TeamBG's Armor Pack v1.03
    - TeamBG's Item Pack v1.02
    - Deidre and Joluv in BG:EE Version 1
    - Neera Expansion v1
    - also the mods from this: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18108/item-mod-more-style-for-mages-wizards-staffs-with-ranged-attack/p1

If anyone has a solution, it would be awesome.
    @yzane - post your bug in this thread so the EE Keeper author can see:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16497/ee-keeper-shadow-keeper-for-bgee/p1
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited June 2013
    @yzane, Like I said in the other thread, I don't actively support problems that arise on Mac - given the fact that I have no way to reproduce them.

Nor do I support individual mods, given the cross-platform and vast quantity of mods.

However, from what I can see, the error appears to be gold. Could you upload your save game in this thread and let @Nifft (and myself) take a look?

I've reviewed this and will be updated in a future build; the upper limit is now (4294967295-1)/2 = 0 to 2147483647.
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
    edited June 2013
    Glad to hear @Troodon80. Will test that out asap.

@Nifft If you still need the file, though:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cef9a0j6u46w01z/RKs3sLP6iQ
    (didn't know which one to upload so here's the entire folder -.-')
    @yzane - I'm not going to have time to look through this soon, sorry.
    @yzane, after opening up - and re-saving - your save game in my own build, I have found nothing untoward. At least not on Windows. It seems to just be an issue with gold (set it to anything under 1000000000 to avoid the issue) - although I have no idea why it would be causing the pop-up problem you were experiencing. I don't currently have a date for when you will get access to it, as Nifft can probably attest to (it's running, but there is a few things I still need to iron out), but hopefully sooner rather than later :).

@Nifft, have you uploaded the Wineskine'd 1.0.1?
    @Troodon80 - No, the uploaded version is 1.0.

I'll upload 1.0.1 if that fixes stuff.
    Thanks but no need @Nifft. @Troodon80's solution fixed it. Thanks guys.

That was easy... and somewhat embarrassing. --,
    @yzane, no need to worry about it :).

As I said, I've adjusted the maximum gold for the next build. No idea when you guys will get it, though. Still busy changing stuff. I'll let @Nifft know in advance of when I'm due to post an update so that he can make a Wineskin wrapper for it.
  • chrismartel0817chrismartel0817 Member Posts: 6
    I am having the same issue as yzane. Except I am on 10.8.5 and I am using 1.0.1. I have created the symlink and created the bg folder in documents. I dropped the simlink there. EE keeper is satisfied with my folder directory but it is not locating the save game files
  • mr_namelessmr_nameless Member Posts: 37
    I am having a slight problem with EEkeeper and mods. EEkeeper cannot find a particular file in the override folder, which is correctly located in my resource folder (is it looking for it there?), in this case a Rogue Rebalancing innate spell (weapons display) when loading a save game. It loads fine but says it cannot find the specific file (RR#wdis)
    When playing if I load the saved game from EEkeeper Weapons Display ability is gone. Without saving from EEkeeper the ability is there and works fine when I run a new game as normal.
This discussion has been closed.