Skip to content

Has the Cat Familiar always moved at half the speed of the others?

Comments

• ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    edited March 2013
    Alright, I think I have found a temporary fix. I ran a VERY brief test, and the cat now moves at the same speed as the party. I make no warranties the cat works properly, you install this at your own risk, blah blah blah and all that legal CYA stuff. Just place the file FAMCAT.CRE in your override folder.

Edit: Scroll down for the new updated version that fixes the Blur issue!
    Post edited by Zarakinthish on
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Alright, I think I have found a temporary fix. I ran a VERY brief test, and the cat now moves at the same speed as the party. I make no warranties the cat works properly, you install this at your own risk, blah blah blah and all that legal CYA stuff. Just place the file FAMCAT.CRE in your override folder.

Thanks @Zarakinthish , will give this a go!

Thanks @Zarakinthish , will give this a go!
    @Zarakinthish - I put the file in my override folder and restart Baldur's Gate, then released my familiar from my backpack, but it's still moving at the slow speed. Would I have to recast Find Familiar for this to work? Not necessarily a problem, I can remove the old Familiar with Shadowkeeper and add a new Find Familiar scroll, if need be, I think. Or just kill my familiar, add back 1 Con with Shadowkeeper and a new scroll - maybe the latter would be better? If I just remove my familiar from my padk with Shadowkeeper, will that cause problems?
    edited March 2013
    Anduin said:

@bhaaldog I want to change quite a bit with familiars. Problem is they are op in BG:EE and needed nerfing...

@Anduin - They've already been nerfed in the latest patch, all now only have 12HP (9HP for the Imp) and only give the caster 6HP. They've also all had their abilities scaled back and/or at least one spell removed - they don't need nerfing any more! I don't think the patch affects existing familiars, though, unless you kill them (in which case you would probably want to restore the 1 Con point you lose using either Shadowkeeper or adding in a Con tome) and recast the spell (you could just add a scroll into the game).
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Oxford_Guy Your familiar is tied to your savegame, so you have to resummon it to see any changes.
    Jalily said:

@Oxford_Guy Your familiar is tied to your savegame, so you have to resummon it to see any changes.

Okay thanks, will give this a go.

Jalily said:

Okay thanks, will give this a go.
    Okay, that worked, I killed my familiar, then added back 1 Con in Shadowkeeper and the scroll, then recast. The cat now moves at normal speed, hurrah!

BTW my Con is marked in red now, though, presumably because it was changed due to losing 1 Con from my familair dying, and my base familiar is now 17 (because I increased it in Shadowkeeper), though only 16 on my charcter record. Is there anyway to get rid of my familiar without killing it (and taking the Con hit) using Shadowkeeper or similar? Thanks
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    @Oxford_Guy
    Open your saved game with ShadowKeeper, remove your "-1 CON" from the Affects, then decrease your CON score by 1 point in the main menu.
    No more red ;)

@Oxford_Guy
    Open your saved game with ShadowKeeper, remove your "-1 CON" from the Affects, then decrease your CON score by 1 point in the main menu.
    No more red ;)

Perfect! Thanks @SpaceInvader @Jalily and especially @Zarakinthish for all your help with this, Sebastien, my Blade, now can use his cat in the manner I had intended - as a scout.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

Anduin said:

@bhaaldog I want to change quite a bit with familiars. Problem is they are op in BG:EE and needed nerfing...

@Anduin - They've already been nerfed in the latest patch.
    I am very aware that they have been nerfed last patch. They have been overly nerfed! And I would like to see some changes. One being cats move at normal speeds.

This is going to be hard as I am not sure how to best go about it... Someone somewhere will always disagree and I'm not sure a happy medium is reachable :-(

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Any cat owner can tell you that getting a cat to do anything, much less move at full speed, is already an impossible task.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited March 2013
    Cats can move faster than the speed of light, and appear in more than one place at the same time.

However, their moral code prevents them from doing anything faster than a snail's pace when instructed to do so by a human.
    Hmmm... @CamDawg I've just noticed that the description (e.g. when in your backpack) says the Cat Familiar can cast Blur, but neither the original one from patch 2014, nor the speed-adjusted one that @Zarakinthish posted here seems to be able to do this, even after resting - there is no Blur spell under the Innate abilities button and no spell button. How can the cat cast Blur? Is this a bug?

Also there is a button for Detect Traps/Illusions, but the description doesn't indicate that the BGEE cat familair has any Detects Traps/Illusions abilities, though I think the button is there because they do in SoA and ToB - shouldn't this button be grayed out for the BGEE familiar, though?
    I think you'll all laugh when I tell you the quick and dirty solution I used to get the cat moving at normal speed.
    I gave it "The Paws of the Cheetah".

As for Blur, it looks like the problem is that the cat familiar was assigned Thief as their class, while Blur was assigned as a Mage spell rather than an innate ability. So while the cat does have it, the spell is unusable because there is no spell button in the Thief ability bar. There are three solutions I can think of to solve the problem:
    1. Change the cat's class to Thief/Mage to add a spell button to the ability bar.

2. Remove the Mage spell Blur and replace it with what the script name says is the Mephit's Blur ability.

3. Same as 2, but instead give it the the innate ability named SPDM102 (which I'm guessing is the Blur ability of the Dark Moon Monk kit).
    @Zarakinthish - well any of those options would be okay I guess, though my preference would be to have Blur as an innate so that the Thieving button (for pick pockets) isn't pushed to the Special Abilities section.

@Zarakinthish - well any of those options would be okay I guess, though my preference would be to have Blur as an innate so that the Thieving button (for pick pockets) isn't pushed to the Special Abilities section.

I've now posted a bug report for this in the issue tracker
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    edited March 2013

Just looked into this. The problem was twofold. As others have noted, the cat familiar couldn't access the cast spell button as its class was set to THIEF instead of MAGE/THIEF. Changing the familiar's class to MAGE/THIEF solves the issue and doesn't push the thieving button to the Special Abilities menu, so no worries there.

Furthermore, the Blur spell was incorrectly memorized as a 3rd level wizard spell (instead of 2nd level) which is why it wouldn't cast even if the class was changed. This will be corrected as well. Sadly, due to the nature of the game engine, this fix won't be retroactive i.e. you'll either need to summon a new familiar or start a new game.
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    Bhaaldog said:

You should ask for the speed to be changed.

We are looking into this as well.

aVENGER said:

Just looked into this. The problem was twofold. As others have noted, the cat familiar couldn't access the cast spell button as its class was set to THIEF instead of MAGE/THIEF. Changing the familiar's class to MAGE/THIEF solves the issue and doesn't push the thieving button to the Special Abilities menu, so no worries there.
    Excellent! :-)
    aVENGER said:

<
    Furthermore, the Blur spell was incorrectly memorized as a 3rd level wizard spell (instead of 2nd level) which is why it wouldn't cast even if the class was changed. This will be corrected as well. Sadly, due to the nature of the game engine, this fix won't be retroactive i.e. you'll either need to summon a new familiar or start a new game.

Okay, no worries, I've now figured out how to do this anyway (I had to do something similar for the temporary cat movement speed fix that @Zarakinthish posted.)
    aVENGER said:

Bhaaldog said:

Hurrah! :-)
    edited March 2013
    aVENGER said:

Bhaaldog said:

This is most awesome @aVENGER ! Can I timidly enquire if any of the other familiars are going to be looked at?

EDIT: Changed last two words from "touched up" to "looked at" due to the large amount of deranged deviants on forum... *sigh* Totally innocent sentences can be turned so easily...
    Post edited by Anduin on
    Anduin said:

aVENGER said:

Bhaaldog said:

This is most awesome @aVENGER ! Can I timidly enquire if any of the other familiars are going to be touched up?
    That's a somewhat disturbing turn of phrase...

Anyway... I think the current Quasit is a little over powered compared to the other Familiars, but I understand why it was left with Horror, to make it more unique, but perhaps the damage it's claw attacks give could be reduce from 1d6 to 1d3 or something?
    @Oxford_Guy I seriously wonder what goes through people's minds sometimes.

Changed quick before I get a complaint from an animal activist for the protection of non real / imaginary animal type entities. Thank you for advising me :)
    aVENGER said:

I thought it was a little strange that Blur was a third level spell. In any case, here is the new temporary fix. The cat is now a Thief/Mage and can cast the proper level of Blur.

aVENGER said:

I thought it was a little strange that Blur was a third level spell. In any case, here is the new temporary fix. The cat is now a Thief/Mage and can cast the proper level of Blur.
    Excellent, I've now tested this with my existing save (after killing my Familiar, then adding a Find Familiar scroll in Shadowkeeper and removing the -1 affect, then recasting) and my cat is now as it should be - can cast Blur and has normal walking speed, hurrah! :-) Thanks @Zarakinthish
  • diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132

I think you'll all laugh when I tell you the quick and dirty solution I used to get the cat moving at normal speed.

Seemed like a great solution, worked for me... for the most part.

Except for this: I put the cat in my backpack for a while, and in my next session I found the Paws of the Cheetah in my party leader's inventory. I didn't make the connection at first. Couldn't remember Consoling one in or adding one with Keeper, so I decided to investigate. I loaded a previous save and my cat was there. I pulled him into my pack, and lo and behold, "Your party has gained an item." Yup, Paws of the Cheetah. He will also give them to you if you ask for any items he has pickpocketed. And now, of course, if you deploy him again he's half-speed again.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643

An simpler solution would be to set its movement speed to 5.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited May 2013
    Can somebody help me with this problem? I killed my cat familiar so that I can spawn a new one, but the problem is that now if I put him into my pack and then release him, he doesn't reappear and is just gone.

@aVENGER @CamDawg you guys seem to know what you're doing, do you guys know how to fix this? Maybe a variable I don't know about?