Skip to content

Do you use the TAB key to find the easter egg/hidden items?

RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
You know the ones I'm talking about, the kind that would be pretty much impossible to find otherwise without knowing their exact location beforehand.
Or do you perhaps think it's cheesy to have items such as Ring of Fire Resistance and Ring of Wizardry very early, considering the game only rewards you those items as drops much later on?
  1. Do you use the TAB key to find the easter egg/hidden items?125 votes
    1. Yes
      92.80%
    2. No
        7.20%

Comments

• OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Im in with the yes crowd
    but I never knew about it till this play through
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    If you don't know where these items are, they are hard to find even with Tab. If you do know where they are, you don't really need Tab, but I guess it helps with clicking the correct few pixels.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I think almost everyone uses TAB to highlight containers and it's 100% so far in the poll. Who will be the first contrarian who wants to be different?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GrakkelGrakkel Member Posts: 55
    The alternative is endless clicking of objects to see if there's something there. That makes for very tedious gameplay. Tab is an excellent way to focus on what Baldur's Gate: the character interactions, the action... nobody plays just to click on a bunch of rocks.
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    I guess I should have worded it in a different way. Do you guys think it's cheesy to get those powerful like Ring of Wizardry early?
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Personally I find the Stupefier much more powerful than the Rings of Wizardry, or Protection, or Fire Resistance. Rings are nice, but the real power in BG1 comes from weapons.
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64

If you don't know where these items are, they are hard to find even with Tab. If you do know where they are, you don't really need Tab, but I guess it helps with clicking the correct few pixels.

Indeed. I know where a good many of the easter eggs are, but finding the exact pixel would be a pain without the tab feature.
  • DrusycDrusyc Member Posts: 44
    @Lord_Tansheron I agree whole heartily. The ring of Wizardry means I can magic missile groups instead of slinging them.

The stupefier (and Rashad's Talon even for dualwielders) are plain ridiculous with respect to how quickly an enemy can be routed. Hell, I'd give up a +3 for the stupefier.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    ajwz said:

No cos I know where they all are already

This.

Pixelbitching isn't fun anymore.

I don't think it was ever fun for me, but it's certainly not fun now that I'm a grown-up with a job and social obligations to eat up my valuable gaming time.
  • zupskyzupsky Member Posts: 126
    TAB is so overpowered, it should be nerfed!
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Yes, but I no longer find it necessary after having played through the game 5 or 6 times.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    The people who said no have keyboards without a tab key...
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Anduin said:

... or they're playing on an iPad. ;)

• DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Indeed I do.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    First time I played vanilla BG there was no tab. I read about the Ring of Wizardry near Candlekeep and spent around 20 minutes hovering my mouse back and forth over the spot where it supposedly was. Later on I found out I needed to patch my game to find it at all. Still took a minute or two.

I think I earned my use of tab.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    No, but I use it to find loot in general. I use it very often since I'm deathly afraid of leaving some quest item behind; a friend of mine missed out on Perdue's Shortsword and I missed the Bloodstone Necklace for that guy in Beregost.

So I sort of have to answer both yes and no, but alas I cannot :O
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    I said no because i don't take the hidden items, but i use tab to see the available chests and barrels.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • StrayedMonkeyStrayedMonkey Member Posts: 146
    i know where all of them are. dont need it.
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    Much like many of the "yes" crowd, having played the game several times over the years, and knowing where the items are anyway, Tabbing just makes finding the minute spots that much easier. As to when I pick them up? - usually on the way past in my play-through. I know they're there, so I'll get to them when I get to them, even if that point changes with each playthrough.

Lets face it, these items are handy in a pinch, more useful earlier in the game, and can be abused, but they dont break the game in any significant way.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Force of habit.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Its a game function, use it.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    Anduin said:

I voted no because I know where the hidden items are, so I don't need to use it to find them.
    I however do use tab for looting, but that was not the question for this poll.
  • KamehouseKamehouse Member Posts: 66
    Is there any reasonable reason not to use it???
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    Yes, but let's face it: I already know where to look.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    RedWizard said:

I guess I should have worded it in a different way. Do you guys think it's cheesy to get those powerful like Ring of Wizardry early?

This is a completely different question than the one in the poll.

I voted "no" because I already know the locations of the items. That doesn't mean I don't take them.
    I use Tab in some locations to highlight barrels and chests, for example all the tents in the Bandit Camp, where 3 - 4 of 6 possible containers contain stuff. With the hidden items, it's easy to remember "ah, ring of fire protection is in the slightly darker rock". With tents that all look the same, why bother memorizing "in tent 3, it's barrels 1 and 2 and chest 6".

The question if the items are cheesy has nothing to do with the general use of the Tab key. So to answer this:

Do you think Imoen is cheesy?

She's one of the highest stats NPCs and you get her super early. She comes with a magic wand and 3 health potions plus an oil of speed. All of that is more than you can find on the first two maps, and the stuff you can get for free on FAI isn't helpful (loot from hobgoblins you can sell - YAY). The missile wand is a lot better than Evermemory, which gives charname or Xzar a whooping 4 first level spells instead of 2. That's not cheesy or overpowered, it makes up a bit for the pitiful HP a caster has compared to a fighter.

Everything else isn't "early" to me. It's the power level I see fit for that stage of the game.

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Sure, I know the items are there and I want to use them. Makes it easier to locate than combing with the cursor.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    out of laziness no. Too much effort to hit that extra key.