Skip to content

[MOD] "Beta" 38 Subraces for BG:EE - 0.87 - Updated - 3/11/2013

Comments

• CorsymyrCorsymyr Member Posts: 146
    edited February 2013
    @lavadelvortel ... I did averaging for the MR% (it's much higher in 2nd edition) they can achieve 80% cap at a pretty low level (again 2nd edition rules). If the community would like it lower it is an easy fix. The other thing I could do is start them at 50% (I think that is what I read) and then 5% or 10% per level based off class up to 80% cap. I thought it was pretty high as well, but I think the BG engine handles it a bit different, as I found my deep gnome was getting hit pretty regularly with spells.

Oh ... if you would like another subrace just send me the 2nd edition specifications and I will put it in. The only supplements I have are;

The Complete Manual of the Drow
    The Complete Book of Elves
    The Complete Book of Dwarfs
    The Complete Book of Gnomes & Halflings
    The Planescape Appendixs
  • LordInsaneLordInsane Member Posts: 38

Illithids (not illitiads) are evil, brain-sucking horrors who scheme to enslave other races for brain-food. I wouldn't recommend them as a helpful NPC.

Not completely; there are some that are relatively decent around (Spelljammer has an entire community of them!).
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,666
    @Corsymyr - well, to be honest, if I were you, I would break the rules as it's just too much and probably that was changed later because of that :) Even in BG2 there are items which provide only 5-10% magic resistance and that kind of stuff can be found in Underdark, if I'm correct. I'll be frank to the bone - the numbers are kinda extreem. With the elemental stuff, I would make it like 15%-20% and with magic like 20% for drow. As for the stats - I would get rid of 50% of stat changes. For example, the dex bonus for being an elf was already applied during the character creation and if I'm correct, you're applying +2 dex later, too. That would provide drow 21 dex at level 1. Providing charname 5 innate abillities at lvl 1 + innates provided by the kit is... too much again. I'm afraid many here are just overpowered.
    And I'm not writing this to discourage you or anything. I believe it may be a good idea to set stuff from scratch and just forget about the ooooooold rules and get inspere dy Forgotten Realms Wiki. Make the changes small, not affecting everything that much.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    They are very interesting!
    But, as others already said, they are a bit OP.
    I would low MR at least to 50% (like Baeloth and Viconia).
    @LavaDelVortel That's the rub isn't it. If you follow the purist 2nd Edition Rules then something (class/race/item) becomes too powerful and ruins the gameplay. If you don't follow the dogma then we all want the inherit abilities of said thing. In a perfect world we would all be rolling dice and a DM would say, "Oh your wand of major powerful things is now broken ... roll again". In the end I would like to get this MOD into a balanced state if at all possible. It should add color and replayability not overpowered abilities for every race.

Trust me, I am not discouraged by your comments and do appreciate them, it's a matter of finding the happy medium between the purist, and the what makes sense in the campaign. This is a Beta release and open to all to comment/assist in making it better, whether that be in wanting more power, or less power. It may end up in two options, one for the purist, and one more toned down.

I seriously think that the Infinity Engine (at least this version) doesn't handle MR correctly. The benefits aren't as strong as the numbers would suggest (ymmv). As for the duplicate bonuses from the base race to subrace should be sorted out.

Again, I really appreciated your honesty and comments, and they will be considered going forward.
    LavaDelVortelzwadek
    @Corsymyr - I'm glad you understand my intentions :) If you want, I can send you some ideas (as a PM) as I would see these implemented :) But only if you're looking for that kind of help, I don't want to be intrusive or anything :)
    @LavaDelVortel ... your information would be well accepted, and likely implemented.
    edited March 2013
    It seems the community would better enjoy this MOD toned down. Here are the proposed changes I am thinking of making. Please comment as to your thoughts;

SEE BELOW
    Post edited by Corsymyr on
  • mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180
    Looks good to me :). Gonna give it a go tonight with my freshly updated iPad BG:EE.
    Yay, now it's a lot better!

Some things I would do:

- refer to Haer'Dalis for Tiefling resistances

- remove the Darkdwellers Crutch, remove or limit the drows/duergars/svirfneblins innate abilities, replace the xp penalty with a -1 to thac0 and/or saving-throws
  • mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2013
    Oh, and an afterthought... whatever you decide on for the Drow, you should apply that to Viciona too (optional, I guess).

And while its not your content to give, could you give instructions on the wings from your previous thread on races? I'd love to give them a go :)
    Post edited by mars0124 on
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Svirfneblin should probably have grey skin rather than purple.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    So, given that CHARNAME as lived his whole life since infancy in Candlekeep, and before that at a temple of Bhaal, how exactly does the whole Underdark thing work? Was he/she fitted with a Darkdweller's Crutch immediately after birth? Is that even how the Underdark abilities work, given how little exposure CHARNAME was likely to have had to it?

It might be a better option to just tone down the Underdark-abilities and not rely on a crutch like the ring (pun!).
    I just suggested the author how to apply penalties in a daylight :) Will see if he likes it :)
  • DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    This mod is starting to look very promising. :) A few questions however, as I could not find TSR published book called The Complete Manual of the Drow via google. The only book thus named I did find was a fan made book, but the drow race as it is seems legit enough (even if ad&d monster compendium II gives drow no other ability bonuses than normal elf - not for playing as a drow, so perhaps not the bet source of information).

Moreso, I don't think that drow's magic resistance of 50%+2% per level is too high and would like it to remain as such, not sure if it should stack with any items though.

You're doing a great job with this mod, keep it going!

(very tired when writing this, hopefully it can be understood)
    uhm remember that with such resistances your charname will just be almost unkillable by most in mages-foes. Remember that it doesn't work like with fire and acid etc - damage won't be changed to half but you will just avoid all effects. So more than half spells will just "miss" - even powerful spells. I think it's a bit too much to make 1st level charname be unkillable by fireballs, death spell, desintegration etc. That's how it would work...
    DarksheerSpaceInvader
    edited March 2013
    OK after lots of input from the community (which I am very thankful for), here is the way I think the MOD will look. This is a major change and tones things down considerably. As for the "Lightblind" issue; my approach is that you will get a choice during install:

A. When in the daylight you suffer -2 Dexterity and -2 Thac0. This will be done via script.
    B. Take an item to remove "Lightblind", your choice.
    (1) Helm slot
    (2) Ring slot

There will be another option during install for Aasimar to obtain "Wings" and a "Halo". (per several requests)

A. Do not install "Wings" or "Halo".
    B. Install "Wings" only.
    C. Install "Wings and Halo".

(caveat: this will use your Helmet slot (B and C), as that is how the original programmer(Moinesse) wrote the item. This will also change your animation to Elf, otherwise the game will crash with any other animation. The Halo is also by the same programmer and it is just the Ion stone animation, color will be gold. I could add the prevent Critical Hits to the item).

Races as follows (huge thanks to @LavaDelVortel )

///////////////////////////////////////////////
    Humans

AASIMAR

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of an Aasimar.
    Bonuses:
    15% Cold Resistance
    15% Fire Resistance
    15% Acid Resistance
    Infravision
    +1 Reputation Adjustment
    1/day May cast "Light" damaging one creature as per the table below, w/40% chance to Blind.
    Level 1-3 1d4+1
    Level 4-7 2d4+2
    Level 8+ 2d6+2
    (Change skin color to Gold)

Penalties:
    -10% XP

TIEFLING

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Tiefling.
    Bonuses:
    15% Cold Resistance
    15% Electricity Resistance
    15% Fire Resistance
    10% Hide in Shadow
    Infravision
    1/day May cast "Blindness" (70% chance to blind target)
    (Change skin color to Brown)

Penalties:
    -1 Reputation
    -10% XP

DEEP IMASKARI

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Deep Imaskari.
    Bonuses:
    +1 Casting level
    Infravision
    1/day May cast "Magic Impulse" (Level 1 Magic Missle)
    (Change skin color to Pale Beige)

Penalties:
    Lightblind
    -5% Thief abilities

FIRESOUL GENASI

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Firesoul Genasi.
    Bonuses:
    +50% Resistance to Fire
    1/day cast "Burning Hands"
    (Change skin color Orange and hair to Red)

Penalties:
    -30% Cold Resistance
    -1 Reputation

EARTHSOUL GENASI

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Earthsoul Genasi.
    Bonuses:
    +10% Resistance to Slashing
    1/day cast "Create Gem" creates 1 random gem
    (Change skin color Brown and hair to Dark Brown)

Penalties:
    -10% Resistance to Crushing

STORMSOUL GENASI

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Stormsoul Genasi.
    Bonuses:
    +35% Resistance to Electricity
    1/day cast "Call Lightning"
    (Change skin color Light Purple and hair to Light Blue)

Penalties:
    -10% Fire and Cold Resistance
    -1 Reputation

WATERSOUL GENASI

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Watersoul Genasi.
    Bonuses:
    +30% Resistance to Cold
    1/day cast "Freeze" Slow enemy w/50% chance to do 1d4+1 damage.
    (Change skin color Light Blue and hair to Dark Blue)

Penalties:
    -15% Resistance to Fire
    -15% Resistance to Electricity

WINDSOUL GENASI

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Windsoul Genasi.
    Bonuses:
    +10% Resistance to Cold
    1/day cast "Wind" 80% chance to know down an enemy for 1 round.
    +5% Physical Resistance

Penalties:
    -1 Damage
    +5% Magical Damage

Half-Elf

HALF-DROW

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Half-Drow.
    Bonuses:
    +2 Saving throw vs Spells
    Infravision
    (Change skin color to Light Purple)

Penalties:
    -1 Reputation

FEY'RI

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Fey'ri.
    Bonuses:
    15% Fire Resistance
    Infravision
    (Change skin color to Brown and hair to Dark Brown)

Penalties:
    -1 Reputation

Elf

DROW

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Drow.
    Bonuses:
    +2 Saving Throws vs. Spells
    25% Magic Resistance
    2/day Faerie Fire (dispell invisibility, and +5% chance cause fear)
    (Change skin color to Purple and hair to White)

Penalties:
    -2 Reputation
    -15% XP
    Lightblind

MOON ELF

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Moon Elf.
    Bonuses:
    +5 Lore
    (Change skin color to Gray and hair to Blue)

Penalties:
    None

WILD ELF

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Wild Elf.
    Bonuses:
    +1 Thac0 w/ranged weapons (2 total)
    (Change skin color to Brown and hair color to Green)

Penalties:
    -5 Lore

SUN ELF

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Sun Elf.
    Bonuses:
    +2 Save vs Spells
    (Change skin color to Copper and hair color to Red)

Penalties:
    None

Gnome

FOREST GNOME

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Forest Gnome.
    Bonuses:
    1/day may summon Nature's Ally as below (only usable outdoors)
    Level 1-3 Squirrel (1d2 damage)
    Level 4-7 Rabbit (1d4 damage)
    Level 8+ Deer (2d4 damage)
    10% Hide in Shadows
    +1 Saving Throw vs. Spell
    +1 AC
    (Change hair color to Green)

Penalties:
    -10% XP

ROCK GNOME

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Rock Gnome.
    Bonuses:
    +1 AC
    1/day cast "Friends" (same as Mage spell)
    +2 Lore

Penalties:
    -1 damage

SVIRFNEBLIN

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Svirfneblin.
    Bonuses:
    +1 AC
    +2 to all Saving Throws
    +10% Hide in Shadows
    1/day cast "Invisibility"
    1/day cast "Reflected Image"
    Non-Detection
    (Change skin color to Pale-Black)

Penalties:
    -1 Reputation
    -20% XP
    Lightblind

Halfling

LIGHTFOOT HALFLING

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Lightfoot Halfling.
    Bonuses:
    Infravision
    1/day cast "Friends"

Penalties:
    None

TALLFELLOW HALFLING

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Tallfellow Halfling.
    Bonuses:
    10% Hide in Shadows

Penalties:
    -1 damage

GHOSTWISE HALFLING

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Ghostwise Halfling.
    Bonuses:
    1/day cast "Telepathy Ally:" 50% chance to remove Fear from ally
    1/day cast "Telepathy Foe:" 25% Confuse enemy/25% chance to Fear enemy
    Does not suffer from Fatigue

Penalties:
    -1 Thac0
    -1 damage

Dwarf

GOLD DWARF

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Gold Dwarf.
    Bonuses:
    +1 damage
    +1 HP per level

Penalties:
    -1 Thac0
    -5% Thief Abilities

SHIELD DWARF

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Shield Dwarf.
    Bonuses:
    +1 damage
    +2 HP (once)

Penalties:
    -1 Reputation

DUERGAR

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Duergar.
    Bonuses:
    1/day cast "Invisibility"
    Immune to Poison
    (Change skin color to Dark Gray)

Penalties:
    -2 Reputation
    -10% XP

DERRO

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Derro.
    Bonuses:
    1/day set trap
    1/day poison weapon
    1/day Derro Rage: +1 ApR +1 dmg w/40% chance to go Besesrk.
    (Change skin color Black and hair color White)

Penalties:
    -1 damage
    -3 Reputation
    (Only Chaotic Evil allowed)

Let the comments proceed! Any feedback will be taken into consideration.

TIA!

@Lord_Tanshaeron ... remember CHARNAME had assistance from Gorian and Elminster ... so the alteration to said race was all but complete.

BTW: I will likely not be working on this until Monday ... real life obligations.
    DarksheerLavaDelVortelzupskyErg
    edited March 2013
    @Darksheer ... Thanks for your feedback, and input. You are correct about the Complete Manual of the Drow, it is a non-TSR product, but the info is accurate per the Complete Book of Elves, but adds more detail from other sources. It looks like the MR is going to be lower than per the books, this is for balance.
    Darksheer
  • gamegeek1995gamegeek1995 Member Posts: 8
    So... where do you place the files for the install?
    /noobquestions
  • DraconisPrimeDraconisPrime Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2013
    @gamergeek1995
    Corsymyr said:

@qwert_44643 Unrar the files into the 00766 folder, this will place the EXE file in the 00766 folder, and create a Subfolder called "Subrace". Make sure you have a copy of your DIALOG.TLK in the 00766 as well. Double-click the "setup-subrace.exe" file and then select "I" for install. Once completed you will need to put your DIALOG.TLK back into the appropriate LANG folder.

EDIT - Didn't want to doublepost

I personally vote for Githyanki (and by extension Githzerai) as a subrace for humans. I'm unable to find 2nd edition stats for playable gith, but looking at the 3.5 edition Monster Manual, Expanded Psionics Handbook, and the above examples, I'd think that something like this could fit:

Human

GITHYANKI

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Githyanki.
    Bonuses:
    1/day cast Dimension Door (as Phase Spider / Blink Dog)
    1/day cast Command Word (as Priest spell)
    1/day cast Telekinetic Thrust (pushes back and knocks down target, as dragon wings, possibly deal damage)
    Infravision
    EDIT: Perhaps replace Telekinetic Thrust with Silver Strike (for the next round, attacks deal extra damage and don't miss against incorporeal targets)
    15% Magic Resistance
    (Change skin color to pale white)

Penalties:
    -2 Reputation
    -15% XP

GITHZERAI

Potion of Origins: This potion will reveal your true origins, that of a Githzerai.
    Bonuses:
    +1 AC
    1/day cast "Armor"
    1/day use Ring the Golden Bell (as the monk ability Stunning Blow, but for that duration melee attacks are made at range)
    Infravision
    15% Magic Resistance
    (Change skin color to pale white)

Penalties:
    -1 Reputation
    -15% XP

Thoughts?

P.S. - I'm proud of the hard work you guys have put into this. Keep it up! :)
    Post edited by DraconisPrime on
  • gamegeek1995gamegeek1995 Member Posts: 8
    It may help to explain that Dialog.tk is located under Data>00766>Lang>your language. This mod is really quit amazing. It's awesome that all of this was even possible.
    @DraconisPrime I think Githyanki and Githzerai races available for Charname is too much. First of all, the mod is to introduce subraces, not races that shouldn't be playable. Secondly, these are considered "monsters" and no one - even Gorion - would save monsters. Those offered in the latest post aren't monsters and 95% of them look normal. Even most genasi can look more human - usually it's something about the way they look in terms of eyes, hair, smoothness of the skin etc. Gith are much different + they do not live in the Material Plane. They are from Astral Plane, thus Bhaal had no "mates" among those. Some of the offered races may be already considered cheesy and--there should be a limit. If not, we'll end with charname being an illithid, vampire or kobold. Derro and Genasi may be a bit too much, Gith would be twice as off, I'm afraid...
    Obviously, that's my personal opinion and everything depends on the author, but I would vote agains including that kind of races.
    SpaceInvader
    Well, I wouldn't say gith would be much worse than Derro or Drow, as those are considered monsters by most people as well (before Drizzt no one thought of Drow as people), but point taken. Thank you for your swift feedback. :)
    @DraconisPrime - Yeah, I know but as much as I can see Gorion saving a baby elf (even the one of pitch black skin), I can't imagine him risking his life for a small...something. Not sure how even Githyanki babies look like as they just don't appear in Faerun until they are grown-ups. And derro...well, when preparing the list for Corsymyr, I was wondering if it should appear at all, to be honest. Decided to include but make it available only for chaotic evil dwarves (I'm not even sure if they are people who play CE dwarves at all). It was supposed to be more like a "hidden" subrace, but since the list appeared here it's more like *really* restricted option. But I wouldn't argue if Corsymyr decided to get rid of this one.
    Fair enough I suppose. To be honest I don't even want it for my main character - I plan on making an evil human assassin whose sidekick is a githyanki blackguard, the assassin being sort of the brains while the githyanki is the brawns. Plan on making them in multiplayer and then moving the file to my single player saves folder. I suppose I could just get Dorn Il-Khan as my sidekick, but I've wanted to do this since my first time playing Baldur's Gate II, where you encounter a githyanki party with an anti-paladin in it, i.e. before Dorn existed. This ward of Gorion wasn't lucky enough to run into Jaheira and Khalid, instead travelling with a githyanki and an orog, and learning to be as ruthless as them to survive, hence his evil alignment.

If it doesn't fit in with this mod, that's cool, I can probably learn how to make the items myself, but do you have any feedback on balancing or the abilities I gave them?

Also I have some ideas for half-orc subraces if you're interested in hearing them (namely orog, ogrillon, and half-ogre).
    edited March 2013
    If anyone has some skills in DLG writing I would be most appreciative of some assistance.

IF ~Class(Player1,Mage)~ AND ~Gender(Player1,Male)~ THEN DO ~ChangeAnimation(Player1,MAGE_MALE_ELF_LOW)~

This line causes a parsing error when compiling, and I need it to change the Animation of the Aasimar to Elf so the wings work.

Any feedback will be helpful.

TIA

EDIT: Got it! Please disregard .....
    Wouldn't be better to set the MR like this:
    20% + 1% x level

It will be closer to Viconia and Baeloth MR but still lower (and with penalities).
    @SpaceInvader ... I am still of the thinking that MR is not working as advertised. I did a test with 50% MR and about 75% of the spells got through.

For now I wan't to get the MOD into it's next form before changing anything else. Let's see what 25% really looks like in testing and decide from there.

Any chance you can assist with the DLG line above? Perhaps there is an easier way to change the animation of PLAYER1 within the DLG than my current approach. The goal is to detect the Class,Gender of Player1, and change it to the same only Elf.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited March 2013
    Interesting mod you've got there @Corsymyr. Though it appears it's nothing for an old planewalker like me. You see, I prefer the official and "outdated" AD&D second edition Aasimar, Tiefling and Genasi from the Planewalker's Handbook (and Warriors of Heaven as well to some degree) above anything WotC throws at us nowadays.

That being said, it would be great to have an install option to choose between your houserules and an 'purist' version. Something like this would surely make every BG:EE player happy.
    Darksheer
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

@DraconisPrime I think Githyanki and Githzerai races available for Charname is too much. First of all, the mod is to introduce subraces, not races that shouldn't be playable. Secondly, these are considered "monsters" and no one - even Gorion - would save monsters. Those offered in the latest post aren't monsters and 95% of them look normal. Even most genasi can look more human - usually it's something about the way they look in terms of eyes, hair, smoothness of the skin etc. Gith are much different + they do not live in the Material Plane. They are from Astral Plane, thus Bhaal had no "mates" among those. Some of the offered races may be already considered cheesy and--there should be a limit. If not, we'll end with charname being an illithid, vampire or kobold. Derro and Genasi may be a bit too much, Gith would be twice as off, I'm afraid...
    Obviously, that's my personal opinion and everything depends on the author, but I would vote agains including that kind of races.

I just want to mention, that PST has a very noble gith character. And that gith appear 'regularly' in SoA.
    Of course this whole racial fun doesn't fit, as we all know who's CHARNAME's mother from ToB :)