Skip to content

More Unique Weapons for BG 2

Ok, I know there are "good" weapons in BG 2 but only a few feel really "Unique". After playing the IWD series, especially IWD HOW, many of the weapons in BG 2 feel boring for the levels of the characters. It isn't just about power, but things like the Cynic sword and Blood armor really made the IWD series feel unique. I am hoping that the developers bring some of this uniqueness to the remaster of BG 2 and Throne of Bhaal. Again the +5 or +10 thing isn't what I am talking about, more the different types of weapons and armor that cater more than to just the basic classes. There are many classes that need a little more support in part 2, personally part 1 is correct as the levels don't really support "great" to "legendary" weapons. I hope the drawings and special abilities of the new weapons are fleshed out well, as sometime the look is almost as important as the power.

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Agreed. All the more reason to turn the Unholy Reaver +5 into a kickass blade with neato powers and a unique color palette that can only be used by Blackguards. BG2 did do a fairly good job of this, though. Even clubs had useful and somewhat interesting iterations. Scimitars could use something more unique, though, and so could daggers, bastard swords, and short swords.
    Eudaemonium
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277

Agreed. All the more reason to turn the Unholy Reaver +5 into a kickass blade with neato powers and a unique color palette that can only be used by Blackguards. BG2 did do a fairly good job of this, though. Even clubs had useful and somewhat interesting iterations. Scimitars could use something more unique, though, and so could daggers, bastard swords, and short swords.

I'm just glad a +1 Club was introduced for poor ole' Jaheira. She may have had a Scimitar+2 but it was better utilized by someone else.

I wonder what they're going to do for a Blackguards Stronghold?

• DarrylsonDarrylson Member Posts: 87

I'm just glad a +1 Club was introduced for poor ole' Jaheira. She may have had a Scimitar+2 but it was better utilized by someone else.

That I have been wondering about, since it's the only class that doesn't fit seamlessly into the existing stronghold quests. I was thinking maybe the Zhents find you and give you some quest where you get an Anti-Carsomyr and kill a Gold Dragon or something and then put you in charge of some hidden outpost in the wilderness.

I haven't slept in a while so I'm not much for creativity at the moment.
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Eudaemonium
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262

I wouldn't be surprised if they let you take over the cult of the unseeing eye.
    SamuelVargMordeusartificial_sunlight
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    Tresset said:

That sounds kind of lame, honestly.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Tresset said:

That sounds like a great idea, so long as you don't have to pluck out your own eyes to do it.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Katanas in ToB... That's all I want...
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited March 2013
    IkMarc said:

Katanas in ToB... That's all I want...

They should definitely fix CF's description.

Tresset said:

That sounds kind of lame, honestly.
    @Copastetic1985 Meh, I don't think it's so bad for about 10 seconds of thinking. I suppose they could just make a whole new area but I was thinking along the lines of molding existing areas and quests and nothing else came to mind that would fit a blackguard. I did come up with two other possible things they could have done:
    1. You thought the cult was lame I thought maybe you could lead Arng or whatever his name was and his fallen paladins after the cup quest.
    2. Possibly taking over the Copper Coronet after kicking out Lehtinan but I figured they wouldn't dare mess with that place.

So as you can see that was probably the least lame thing I could come up with.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    I agree, altough i love Lilarcor. Funniest "NPC" in the bg series
  • ThomaswThomasw Member Posts: 18
    I would love for the team to add some new items for slots which aren't used for some classes. An example would be some sort of mask or cowl for thieves, obviously going in the head slot. Maybe off hand non shield items for wizards like an orb or a tome. In a similar fashion, some niche items to make unconventional builds could be interesting, like a special club for thieves which can knock NPCs unconcious. Maybe items restricted to certain races, like halfling only slings. There is a lot of scope to encourage experimentation with characters if you include some unique items along the lines of the staff of the ram, which seems to be used as QS thief cleric build weapon.

I find games which Obsidian have made have lots of these options, like in Fallout NV where there were viable weapons for all play styles. I think this could only be a good thing in BG.
    DelvarianFoggysmeagolheartMetalloman
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I'm pretty sure the Blackguard will end up being offered the Fighter stronghold, just like the Monk and Barbarian.
    That'd be a damn shame, Kilivitz. I'd like to see Overhaul make a new Stronghold that isn't class-based, but requires Evil alignment.
    I'd like to see that too. In fact, I really like your idea of it being aimed at evil characters, regardless of class).

But the thing is, to get a stronghold you usually need to go through a large quest, and then more relatively large quests once you're in control. I'm not sure about how much new content they will be adding to the EE other than the new NPCs (and their respective romances and sidequests).

Let's hope I'm mistaken.
  • ThomaswThomasw Member Posts: 18
    I am sure I have seen somewhere a quote saying the new content for BG2 will be much more substantial than in BG1.
  • KatermeisterKatermeister Member Posts: 28

Simple, you can join up with the Fallen Paladins and become their leader.
  • SniiiimonSniiiimon Member Posts: 153
    I for one wouldn't mind the addition of new two-handed weapons: like greataxes and heavy maces. But that's not likely to happen.

More class specific weapons, armors and other items would be nice though. Like a wicked counterpart to Carsomyr for the blackguards.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I think there's plenty of unique weapons in BG2 already. And by that I'm assuming you mean weapons you won't find stats for in the P&P manuals. Off the top of my head I can think of:

Flail of Ages. Club of Detonation. Crom Faeyr. Axe of the Unyielding. Short Bow of Gesen. Celestial Fury. The Equalizer. The Answerer. Azure Edge. Sling of Everard. Dak'kon's Zerth Blade. The Sleeper. Wyvern's Tail. The Root of the Problem. Wave Halberd. Staff of the Ram. Defender of Easthaven. Blackrazor. Entropy & Chaos.

I'm sure there are more I've missed. Most of the non-generic items have a background story to go with them and unique art. I think what the OP really wants is more overpowered weapons.
    GodKaiserHell
    @karnor00

OP specifically said that the power level of the weapons is not important to him. He wants the weapons to do unique things and cater to different character builds. Celestial Fury, Equalizer, Sling of Everard, Zerth Blade, The Sleeper, Wave, and Club of Detonation are all unique, but not every proficiency/type has iterations like that. For instance, the scimitars are all vanilla enchanted weapons.
    Belm is a +2 scimitar that gives the wielder an extra attack per round. There's also Spectral Brand +4 in ToB, but yeah, a few weapons are somewhat underrepresented.
    Oh, I thought Belm was just a +2 vanilla. My mistake.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited March 2013

That'd be a damn shame, Kilivitz. I'd like to see Overhaul make a new Stronghold that isn't class-based, but requires Evil alignment.

Welcome to my underground lair

Simple, you can join up with the Fallen Paladins and become their leader.

Blackguard /= Fallen Paladin though they are somewhat similar. The BG is supposed to be evil from the jump not a paladin who changed his mind
    The Fallen Paladins are still more-or-less Good-aligned. They just lack the discipline, honor, and restraint to remain LG Paladins. That would not be a good Blackguard stronghold. I'd much prefer Overhaul take the time to make a quest where an Evil-aligned CHARNAME of any class can take over the lair of the red dragon or the shadow dragon and manage/improve it a la a Dungeon Keeper type of deal.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I actually thought BG2 had tons of unique weapons. BG1 vanilla was sorely lacking. IWD had tons as well. For some reason IWD2 went back to having only a handful.

The Fallen Paladins are still more-or-less Good-aligned. They just lack the discipline, honor, and restraint to remain LG Paladins. That would not be a good Blackguard stronghold. I'd much prefer Overhaul take the time to make a quest where an Evil-aligned CHARNAME of any class can take over the lair of the red dragon or the shadow dragon and manage/improve it a la a Dungeon Keeper type of deal.

What about the temple of Talos? How about adding a militant arm to that that, the Blackguards. You could be asked to investigate the Cult of the Eyeless for a missing Blackguard who defected and went down there to join the cult of the eyeless. Once done with the quest and the cult has been taken out, you can talk to the guy in the temple of Talos and he'll offer you leadership of a troop of Blackguards.

You are instructed to go set up base camp out of the old cult of the eyeless place.
    I'd rather not be directly affiliated with a temple of a god I don't worship, @smeagolheart.

I'd rather not be directly affiliated with a temple of a god I don't worship, @smeagolheart.

What god does a blackguard worship then? What's a god fearing blackguard to do in these crazy times while in Amn? AFAIK Talos is the only evil deity with a congregation in Athkatla currently. Feel free to add a new temple or something or random evil priest standing around outside to task you with clearing the cult then offering to let his buddies help you set up an evil guildhouse in the remnants..

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    The default blackguard biography simply states that you make a deal with a 'powerful outsider'. If they add a new stronghold it will probably be a more nebulously demonic than a Church of Talos. I am interested to see what they will do, though.
    @Eudaemonium is quite astute. Dorn and Default Bio Blackguard CHARNAME made pacts with fiendish overlords, not gods. Blackguards can often worship Evil gods like Bane or Talos, too, but that's not how Overhaul is focusing the Blackguard's flavor.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

Eudaemonium is quite astute.

Why thank you, evil sir.