Skip to content

Create a random game (optional no-reload speed game contest included) (spoilers)

Comments

• dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    You know...I have always used the Temple of Tymora. I'm not sure that I've even been in the Temple of Helm...
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited April 2013

You know...I have always used the Temple of Tymora. I'm not sure that I've even been in the Temple of Helm...

Really? I always use the closest temple.
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    edited April 2013
    Post 3. Bandits camp.
    I had a plan. I was going to fake join the bandits and once in the camp go inside Tazok’s tent to fight for my life. But...

It happen that Tazok, instead of the usual “hey who are you, what are you doing here? Ok, you can join us” decides that “no one should know about them”, goes hostile and attacks. The party counters strike, wand of lighting, acid arrows. Tazok chickens “ok, you are strong, I’ll give you an opportunity”. I though "great, now I'll stick with the plan"

Wrong.

I don’t know, maybe because SCS, maybe because the lighting bolt hit someone after Tazok, but as Tazok leaves the whole camp goes hostile and attack. And I don’t mean just the people outside the tents, no, I mean even the three fellows inside Tazok’s tent went out for the fight. Together.
    Actually it was very fun. And quick. I threw everything at them: grease (actually grease won the battle, I wish I had a screenshoot of 20-30 bandits glued to the ground), glitterdust, sleep, silence, hold, lightings, fireballs… The archers finished off whoever was still standing after that.

And now chapter 4!
    @Dexter Tazok has always attacked my party when I joined the Bandits.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    chapter 5 end. we are now returning to duke eltan to end it. here is a summary of the chapter, repeating some things

went through ankheg area getting good exp
    got to baldur's gate and first thing to do is go to sorcerous sundries. readied up ammo and potions
    went to merchant league, but kagain was low health so we went to a temple then continued. seven suns was next
    wandered into degrodel's house, where we were almost swiftly executed by his guards. had to visit a temple after this fight
    went to kill both ragefast and ramazith for those items and xp
    decided not to get balduraan helm just yet. will go when i need to go to the underceller in chapter 7
    did the poison quest for some good xp
    when i went to temple of umberlee for lothander, i also killed everyone there to get the child body for the other quest as well as getting the tome back
    went to iron throne, where we had a short battle on the top floor. we had 5 oils of fiery burning, might as well use it! we threw all 5, and baeloth cast a fireball. unforunately, we had safana in the radius. she was not chunked at least :) we finished off the people who were on the other side of the room and those people who miraculously survived our inferno
    almost at the home stretch. candlekeep is not difficult, unless i don't keep checking for traps. after that i am pretty much on the home stretch. i am known, however, to have a hard time with sarevok. might load my final save from my first playthrough and get a bit of practice in on him

day 27 15 hours
  • TaylorTwerkTaylorTwerk Member Posts: 79
    Female
    Half elf
    Shapeshifter druid

Chaoctic Neutrual
    two rolls
    I pick my own voice

Jaheira
    Garrick
    Quayle
    Kagain
    Kivan

This will be tough, what should I do for a thief?
    day 27 21 hours

seeing as though i am not roleplaying i decided to forget all the welcome homes and head straight into the library. killed rieltar and gang and got arrested of course. we all know what happens in the catacombs, it isn't really anything new. we just went through and killed things. found out how to take screenshots too. so here is kagain with his protection from petrification after he took care of the basilisks

i hope that worked correctly! anyway, will try to level baeloth one more time before hitting sarevok since he is so close and i could always use some more spells :)
    good news! the finale is upon me. we snuck our way through the city to the flaming fist compound without any guards. after so many times, you seem to remember to go south and you usually don't hit them. we lost liaa to the doppelganger battle, but belt survived. my basic strategy:

yeah, i just got some summons and then hasted everything! baeloth got his next level in the battle, so that is cool. we are just healing and arming ourselves for the final battle. there is no holding back! all resources available will be used!

bad news, i am tired and would prefer to wait until tomorrow. also it can keep the suspense to see if i fail at this last second :P
    edited April 2013
    The Great massacre occurred, all the Xvarts for leagues around flooded into the village to die. Even the great Ursa didn't save them.
    http://i.imgur.com/BUNM90E.jpg
    We went West, and returned Brage's sanity, and gave him to Helm. We then went North of the Xvarts and found a talking chicken, whom we took to the High Hedge, home of the sage Thalantyr. Thalantyr demanded a fresh skull, and we found one for him, and he successfully cast the spell antichickenator.
    http://i.imgur.com/ykUKicf.jpg
    We then went South, back to where we found the talking chicken. We ran into a man who was surrounded by undead, that was raving mad. he tried to add us to his numbers, but we showed him who the boss was. Wanda gained a nice Hammer and a holy symbol, the one the mayor had spoken about.
    http://i.imgur.com/OCnFllp.jpg
    We then annihilated some Hobgoblins who decided that we were easy meat for their bullying. Sold their leader's short sword for enough to get the coveted Full Plate of the Thunder Hammer.
    http://i.imgur.com/u6awEaL.jpg
    We then went South to the Nashkel Mines once more, and defended Prism.
    http://i.imgur.com/x4FRHIv.jpg
    We then went directly North to the bandits, and infiltrated their ranks. Ajantis died to an angry and jailed Gnoll. Being extremely stupid, I forgot to pick his equipment up. We lost it all except for the Potion Case. Yes, I lost the Dex gloves.
    We then massacred the Bandit Camp.
    http://i.imgur.com/2Lm1Ycw.jpg
    Then we broke into Tazok's Tent, killed his guards, and the prisoner "by accident", then had Ajantis open the chest. Dead again.
    http://i.imgur.com/jiQiELd.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/wuNSmhE.jpg
    Day 26 Hour 19
    We pick up Ajantis' equipment this time, and leave the bandit camp to go to the Friendly Arm. Neera points me towards Adoy's Enclave. I ignored her for now and marched into the Cloakwood.
  • ZalsonZalson Member Posts: 103
    Alas! My competitiveness was my undoing. As I noticed @ChildofBhaal599 nearing the end of his run I decided to make a break for it. I was at 20 days and had just finished the bandit camp. Xan was a paper piece of paper -- he had 10 hp at level 4...

Anyway, I am too dismayed by my lack of caution. I made it to Cloakwood and fell prey to the Spiders. Not having a thief to disarm traps meant i tripped every ... single ... trap ... and got nailed by the spiders. A couple times, I came close to dying, but always managed to get Iannan out of the webs -- or at least, out the range of Kelemvor's grasp. But I was overcome in Chelak's abode. Not enough spells, not enough tanks.

22 days into his journey, Iannan has turned to dust.

Can't wait to try the next one.
    F
    Gnome
    MC
    C/M(I)

CE
    2 rolls
    Voice 3

28 - Xzar
    11 - Garrick
    8 - Edwin
    4 - Branwen
    16 - Kivan

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
    Good luck @Zalson. Am I the only one who picks the first random instead of choosing? (Granted I'm not running one currently, but I've done about 5 or 6)
    I think for the challenge you get to choose one out of 3. Really, though, the party/character you choose should be random...

Good luck @Zalson. Am I the only one who picks the first random instead of choosing? (Granted I'm not running one currently, but I've done about 5 or 6)

I am doing my first random. I didn't roll 3 and pick.

Aaaaaand I died to a wolf...
    @Zalson, :(. lol
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Here’s the continuation of the story of Jagen MoonShadow, also known as Jagen H’gar.

In order to not suspend the Nashkel quest the party of Jagen, Viconia and Edwin walked straight to the Mines. On the road to the Mines the ambush with Dorn happened and without much trouble the enemies were defeated (the Hold Person spell by Viconia helped to stop the main threat). We got an NPC (level 2) with a great STR – thus meaning a great DPS and a big weight available to carry, a magical wakizashi +1 for Jagen and some other minor stuff.

Viconia with a low AC (the Ankneg armor + the magical belt against missile weapons) just cruised through all the kobolds – she went first, came close to the archers, kobolds couldn’t hit her (well, there were several injuries but the healing potions were used), the rest of the party helped to quickly finish them off.
    I was surprised to find out the starting 15 points in Find/Disarm traps skill is enough for every trap in this dungeon.

The spiders have been dealt with the help of Edwin’s magic. Because it’s a no reload run he doesn’t even try to memorize any new spells till we get a potion. His starting selection is sufficient and if we find several scrolls of the same spell these additional scrolls can be used in a battle.

Killing a ghoul near the entrance to the main chamber brought Jagen to the 4th level. The fate has been generous so far and Jagen got 6 HP again (thus making it 24 total) and put 20 points into Find/Disarm traps skill.

We came into the main chamber and rested there (rest #5) – the chance that the rest here is interrupted by kobolds is much smaller if compared to resting anywhere else in the Mines.

After the kobolds had been killed the special trap was set not far away from Mulahey. It brought him to “near death” as soon as the battle began. Moreover, he fell unconscious under the Command from Viconia, has been dealt 20 damage by Dorn, has been targeted by Edwin’s Acid Arrow, so no chance really. Jagen even hasn’t touched him with a backstab attack.

After that we came back to Nashkel, got our reward, identified all the stuff (BTW because no one in this party can identify items the merchants help a lot – 100 gp in this situation is a reasonable price) and sold what we didn’t need.

Nimbul succeeded in casting the Mirrored Image spell but failed a save against the Horror spell by Edwin and the Hold Person spell by Viconia. His Boots will help to protect Vikky from missile attacks even better.

Now the party of Jagen, Viconia, Edwin and Dorn is ready to explore the western areas in order to kill the witch and complete Edwin’s quest.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    bengoshi said:

@Lemernis... Because you've rolled "choose kit" you can also consider multiclass cleric/thief. I see no healer in your group, so healing some severe casualties can become a problem (it will cost some money). And a multiclass cleric/thief, especially a half-orc, is a stand-out character. With DUHM his THACO will become even better and bonus from STR will really help while using a sling.

You know, the rules are a bit ambiguous here. For the four digit number I rolled 5970. The third digit is 7 which yields a Thief. And for the fourth digit I rolled a 0, which I think is supposed to then give me a a Pick from among the Thief choices in green. I think the way it's supposed to work is that if I had rolled a 0 for the third digit that would be a multi-class, and then the fourth digit would determine which type of multi-class.

But because multi-classes are relatively hard to come by, should we modify the rules to allow multi-classing for a 0 = Pick in the fourth digit? The multi-class in such a case would of course have to include the class that one rolled for the third digit (and that is allowable for the race and alignment).

What do you all think?
    GemHound said:

Lemernis said:

@GemHound ... One of the toughest things to deal with when you have neither a Thief or Ranger is the lack of Stealth, and then the ability to scout ahead...

That is one of the toughest things? I never scout ahead...
    Playstyles vary, I should have clarified 'for me'. I almost always stealth to give the element of surprise in my attack. And definitely in a no-reload game in which there are so many ways you can die, I feel the need for an upper hand.
    edited April 2013

Female
    Half elf
    Shapeshifter druid

Chaoctic Neutrual
    two rolls
    I pick my own voice

Jaheira
    Garrick
    Quayle
    Kagain
    Kivan

This will be tough, what should I do for a thief?

You work around it, lol. You'll have to trigger traps with your highest HP/lowest AC character and take the damage; heal; rinse and repeat. If you make it far enough to get Quayle he can detect traps via spell as a cleric, so you could at least avoid some traps that way. Quayle can also cast Knock on locked containers. Garrick can also cast Knock, but for a good deal of the game it would only be via scroll.

You can take the best of three rolls for PC/party. Was this one the best? If it is, then you can play it for the fun of seeing how far you can get. That would be most in the spirit of the competition. But if all three teams you rolled up looked beat, just roll up another set of three. It's all meant for fun.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
    edited April 2013
    Re: taking the best of three rolls, it's an option mainly to try to keep it fun since this is so difficult to begin with. Strict no-reload is really tough even in the non-random games when you can choose and replace NPCs as you like, and you design your own protagonist. Here it gets crazy what with the random generated PC/party. (And to anyone who attempts it 'SCS & No-Meta-gaming' style, my hat is off to them!)

It's all for fun, so you can also 'bank' rolls that you didn't use yet and try them later. The main thing is the PC and party must be generated randomly via the system.

On a side note, I'm tempted to some day and go back and complete some of these games for this contest where the PC died, but as minimal-reload games outside of the competition. (I was really having fun with them.) I'm also getting into the habit of exporting some of the PCs that I create via this system. I've already found some already that I know I will enjoy playing again one day.
    edited April 2013
    Zalson said:

F
    Gnome
    MC
    C/M(I)

CE
    2 rolls
    Voice 3

28 - Xzar
    11 - Garrick
    8 - Edwin
    4 - Branwen
    16 - Kivan

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Btw, I feel your pain in the last run at getting killed when you were well along into the game. Good show, though! That was a great run.

Wow, what a fun crew. Not super strong front-liner-wise, but doable. (If you dual Xzar to Cleric, he can actually do pretty well on the front line. But it's also nice to have two full mages.)

Kivan is so great to have for this challenge because early in the game he can pick off lower level mobs one by one with his bow, slipping in and out of stealth.

I guess folks are finding the lack of a Thief no great problem (or certainly not an insurmountable one)... but it's just so much more convenient to have one!
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Lemernis said:

But because multi-classes are relatively hard to come by, should we modify the rules to allow multi-classing for a 0 = Pick in the fourth digit? The multi-class in such a case would of course have to include the class that one rolled for the third digit (and that is allowable for the race and alignment).

What do you all think?

I think this would work and should also include a dual class option if your race is human (or if the third digit is also a pick for human?)

The other option would be to adjust the class category to include whatever multi-class options each race supports which would be more work of course but would make multiclasses as possible as other class options.

For humans perhaps dual class options could be added to the kit roll perhaps as a general kit option (dual class) which if rolled would be followed by a roll to determine which (if any) of the possible dual class options would be available for that human class? - (if none then re-roll the kit or if none remove dual option from the kit roll at the start?

Gets complicated doesn't it? Nothing difficult is ever easy LOL

• FrozenEchoFrozenEcho Member Posts: 1
    Pick
    Elf
    M/T
    NE
    6 rolls

Party
    23 Shar-Teel
    3 Mystery NPC
    2 Alora
    10 Faldorn
    6 Dorn

After rolling an 88 on my fourth roll Krisdove Harpsorcerer with the help of her dust mephit familiar proceeded to clean up the Candlekeep quests whilst stealing everything she could.

After stripping Imoen of every useful item, we proceed to hunt down the local wildlife dropping a few black bears and wolves with some easy kiting provided from the familiar.

After picking up the hidden diamond and ring the ogre with the belt fetish is the next to fall.

Next we head to the Friendly Arm Inn to pick up another hidden ring and to activate Dorn so we can pick him up when we head to the mines. Here I discovered something useful about my dust memphits special ability glass dust, I can debuff NPC's like Tarnesh with glass dust without them going hostile. This allowed me to easily land a backstab on Tarnesh followed by a magic missle to stop him casting mirror image. Unfortunately he was able to cast horror on my familiar but I quickly dropped him with my bow before he could do anything else.

The next challenge that awaited Harpsorcerer was in Beregost as she attempted to take Silke on solo. First she took down the men Silke hired her to kill to get all three potions however she felt Silke was ripping her off. So once more the familiar put down a glass dust debuff which was quickly followed by a backstab and an attack from the familiar. To stop Silke going invisible a magic missile wand charge is expended. After a few more hits Silke drops and the reputation loss from completing her task is avoided.

Karlat is easily dealt with as he is lured outside into the street to die to Krisdove's bow.

Beregost is then cleaned out of useful items for lockpick experience and gold. A lucky pickpocket nets me Algernon's cloak though I was quite prepared to take the rep hit to acquire the cloak.

Finally Krisdove makes her move towards Nashkel so she can pick up her first party member. At the Inn Neira is defeated with two spooks and a few magic missile wand charges.

After picking up the Anhkeg plate mail, we head to the mines and face off against the bandits to recruit Dorn. I drop a charge from my wand of lightning to drop both archers on the side with a perfect bounce whilst Dorn is tanking the two main foes. Before the fight ends Dorn is dropped to near death as a lightning bolt strikes him. The encounter finishes up and I proceed to recruit Dorn into my party when something really weird happens. After taking the rep hit for accepting him into my party I notice his portrait doesn't appear instead something very weird happens.

As you can see there is two of him!! So I proceed to recruit them both into my party taking the rep hit twice more.

So should I proceed with twice the Dorn or load my auto save hoping I don't reproduce the bug?
    edited April 2013
    Wow, lol. Yeah, reloading is allowed for a bug like that. I have no idea what would happen if you just Ctrl+Y'ed one of them. (You can have CLUA enabled for this, but Ctrl+Y is the only cheat allowed, and it's for an unwanted member of a forced NPC pair. But it would be appropriate to try here too.) You should make some archived saves as backups, just in case. Eg, of the autosave and perhaps also where you are in that screenshot.
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    edited April 2013
    Got some time last night so here is the continuation of the story of Noamilais Greensleeves, elven cleric of Helm....

Started in Beregost and went to kill the Basilisks for the XP. We managed to kill them all, bringing everyone (Naomilais, Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira) to roughly level 4. From there we went to the lighthouse to recruit Safana. After recruiting her we went to the coastal cave to complete her quest. The Sirens were dealt with in short order, only managing to charm Khalid once, but they managed to enfeeble/confuse both Khalid and Jaheira. We sent in Imoen and Safana to disarm the traps in the cave and lure out one of the flesh golems. Man these things hit hard! Imoen was able to finish off the fleshy we pulled with the arrows dropped by the sirens, but Khalid was beat up and Jaheira had fallen , and the party was out of healing. So Imoen went back into the cave taking the path the fleshy was guarding and finding disabling the second trap on that side. She then hid and advanced towards the treasure, barely managing to carry it all out (she had to drop her armor) and made a mad dash to avoid the nearest flesh golem. We then had our 5th party member, a level 4 Thief. Imoen dualed to Mage after reaching level 5 (she maxed find traps to 100 and did a good job with move silently 70). We then made our way to Nashkel, but were ambushed by bandits. We were aided by a half orc named Dorn. We thanked him for his assistance then parted ways. In Nashkel we raised Jaheira and sold various acquired loot. We killed Neira and got the Ankheg Plate Mail before going to the mines.

Outside of the mines we did the Prism quest, this was actually very easily done, as Imoen could now use the wand of paralyzation we acquired from the golem cave. One charge and Greywolf was a pinata for our party. Good thing too, as Khalid's sword broke while killing Greywolf.

Into the mines... the kobolds proved no threat to the match up of Khalid and Safana. We quickly made our way to Mulahey, who was rendered moot by a hold person spell by Naomilais. After this fight we left the mines and met the Amazonian assassins waiting north of the exit. This group too was dispatched without our party taking a single scratch. Safana was scouting and located the group. Naomilais cast silence 15ft radius and Imoen cast sleep. Both priestesses were rendered unable to cast and both thieves were put to sleep. A follow up hold person was successful against the most heavily armored priest and blind also succeeded on the last priestess. The party quickly killed the sleeping assassins and then the held priestess. We then switched to ranged and finished off the blind priestess.

After that success progress was saved. Time Day: 9 Hour: 10

(To be Continued....)
    Post edited by Fighting_Ferret on
    edited April 2013
    Wanderon said:

Lemernis said:

What do you all think?

I think this would work and should also include a dual class option if your race is human (or if the third digit is also a pick for human?)

The other option would be to adjust the class category to include whatever multi-class options each race supports which would be more work of course but would make multiclasses as possible as other class options.

For humans perhaps dual class options could be added to the kit roll perhaps as a general kit option (dual class) which if rolled would be followed by a roll to determine which (if any) of the possible dual class options would be available for that human class? - (if none then re-roll the kit or if none remove dual option from the kit roll at the start?

Gets complicated doesn't it? Nothing difficult is ever easy LOL

Mmm, good ideas there but I think I'm too lazy to do anything beyond allowing a "Pick" roll for the 4th digit to allow a multiclass as the class and alignment would allow. That brings the odds up somewhat. And it's a lot easier a change to make!

Unless there's a hew and cry against it today from folks who are participating I'll amend the rules tomorrow. If you don't care for this change, speak today or forever hold your peace! (I'm really fine with whatever, actually. So far we have two votes for and none against.)

I'm going to go ahead and pick Assassin for the Thief I rolled yesterday.
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    @GemHound you're right, but once Tazok is near death he leaves and lets you join the bandits, doesn't he? In my case after he left the whole camp went hostile and I think that never happened to me before.

By the way there're lots of games going and lots of posts to read. It'd be nice if everyone started their post and updates with a quick summary, just charname's class, party and type of challenge (classic, metagaming, SCS...). Just to ease the reading. What do you think?
    edited April 2013
    I like that idea a lot @Dexter! Much easier for me. I would add also that if you have a game that could be a 'best thus far' for any category, go ahead and PM me and if it is I'll put it on the leader board in the topic starter.

As for me, I'm just starting a new Classic game and I haven't gotten anywhere near where others have.

We now have someone at the final battle, which is awesome. (It'll be a heartbreaker not to win the final battle, but as Wanderon well knows, it can happen. ChildofBhaal599 we're all rooting for you to get the win!)

I saw that a couple folks have had a go with SCS and didn't make it to the end. But I don't have Chapter and Days completed for when their PCs died. So someone can live at the top of the leader board there at least until some one gets farther/faster in that category.
    edited April 2013
    victory at last!

didn't start out so well. upon reaching the undercity i ran into trouble....
    we tried to flee.....
    i had forgotten there archer had detonation arrows. it destroyed us. so kagain, baeloth and I were the only survivors. well, time to leave the way i came and come back with my party restored.....
    got to the temple of bhaal and now it is time for a final showdown. summoned some helpers and hasted everybody, then began some spells as my others move into range to begin the battle....
    afterward, it appears a trap was set off. my inquisitor was the target so i had to act fast by equiping him with his ring to resist movement magic and sending him forward to take the hit while everyone retreated, then sending him back to regroup.....
    the mage is already down, now we need to take care of the others. EQUIP THE DETONATION ARROWS.....
    again i have forgotten that the archer has detonation arrows! those under the employ of sarevok seem to love arrows of detonation
    our arrows killed everyone but sarevok, who is now badly injured. with the arrows put away we spawned a 3rd set of helpers, but once the fire had gone, they seems unnecessary. sarevok is held in the web!.....
    it was not long before victory. so, how about a final look at this brave party of adventurers.....

all party members alive
    29 days 18 hours
    normal difficulty, no SCS
    charname: Brandon the Inquisitor
    cheese level: it's an entire cheese factory!
    most kills (besides charname): Kivan
    rested 4 times

a few things i've learned: normal difficulty may have seemed difficult first time i play this game, but after that first time i am glad i made things more difficult. you will only die if you don't have what you need (prot from pet for basilisks) or if you get caught and can't fight back (my first inquisitor R.I.P.) also, inquisitors really shouldn't be in the first game. true sight and dispel from level one and at twice the player level is a lot for bg1, more so than bg2. i have realized the power of kagain, and through him that i could potentially give a character -9 AC in BG1! I also can now agree that baeloth is as powerful as others here have said. Kivan certainly is a good archer and had 5 thaco in the end. Last, I realized the game can be accomplished without a cleric, because you even have enough money to get loads of potions while buying the items you want, and i didn't even go to places like durlag's tower! it's been fun. i loved it. good luck beating my time, but it is perfectly doable with minimum resting and not having to take the detour to gnoll stronghold for minsc.

also, sorry for such a long final post :)