Skip to content

Barbarian vs Berserker 2° time: which is better?

kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
Same thread as Barbarian vs Berserker: which is better?, but no bounds or limitations for the discussion, imagination is the only limit here :)!

Ps: no pool to avoid factions, if ppl don't like this way, post here cos i have no problem in closing this thread to another in pool format to be created.

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I see what you did there ;) However, I'd like to present an idea. If we compare e.g. Barbarian vs Berserker/Mage, is that really a thread about Barbarian vs Berserker, or more about Barbarian vs Mage?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Pointless thread is pointless. Dual-classing makes everything better. The end.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited June 2013
    By another side, if we selective choose to ignore an advantage of an kit, would the discussion has any sense? In the words of @Smeagolheart "Barbarian vs Berserker: which is better if you don't use your berserker properly".

In single class issue, there's no discussion in fact, if not unanimous, almost everyone whom voted for berserker in the old thread agree that single class x single class, barbarian have the best advantage by far.

The main advantage of berzerker over barbarian is high AC in the begin, later that doesn't matter, so the high HP followed by damage resistance overpower barbarians over berserkers. The 2° advantage of berserkers are mastering an weapon, and by far i learend in this forum to prefer damage reduction over that.

A Barbarian with the 20% dmg reduction in all, worning an Orc Leather +3 (10% reduction missile damage) + belt of Inertial Barrier (25% resistance missile damage and 50% resistance magic damage) + Defender of Easthaven +2 (20% resistance slash, blunt and pierce) + Roranach's Horn (50% resistance blunt) and can be switched to Helm of the Rock to focus in elemental damage defense (25% resistance to elemental defenses)

All that make a sum of 55% missile damage reduction, 40% slash and pierce damage reduction, 90% blunt damage reduction and 75% magic damage reduction. We're using only Weapon, armor, beld and helm slot in fact. If we switch to the Helm of the rock we get 100% resistance to all elemental damage (but that's not an barbarian feature, any class that can equip helm and belt can do the same).

I prefer dualed Berserkers (or when i'm not dualing to druid, dualed Kensai/mages), but single x single there's no real discussion to be had, barbarians are better this way. That's the reason we discuss those classes with all the advantages they have (including dual class of berserker).

Ps: a new shield in BG EE with damage reduction would be nice and would make sense (better than have damage reduction from belts and helms only).

@Quartz, the monk class send a hug to you, just to know.
  • RemenissionsRemenissions Member Posts: 102
    Well, by crunching the numbers (this is from the BG2:SOA official perfect guide which does have some errors, but very few. I haven't fully investigated to make sure every number was right and this was written for the first version of the game. The bonuses the barbarian and berserker have over each other are as follows:

NOTE: This is assuming the barbarian/berserker has 18 STR and 18 CON. Ranges are given for difference in human to half-orc (19STR/19CON).

Barbarians:
    1. Rolls a d12 instead of d10 for hp every level.
    2. At 11th level, the barbarian gains 10% resistance to slashing, piercing, crushing, and missle damage. He gains +5% to this every four levels thereafter.
    3. Rage gives +4 CON (+2HP/level) instead of a flat +15 HP that the berserker gets. So berserker will give you more hp from rage until level8 where the barbarian is at +16 HP.
    4. Rage gives immunity to level drain.
    5. Rage gives +2 savings throws vs magic.
    -link for #5 & #6 table: http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Races_and_Stats#Strength
    6. Rage gives between +2 to +3 more THACO adjustment. Berserkers get a flat +2 to THACO.
    7. Rage gives between +4 to +7 more damage adjustment. Berserkers get a flat +2 to damage.
    8. Moves 2 points faster (not really useful in a fight except to keep more distance between your frontline and ranged casters/archers).
    9. Can specialize in ranged weapons. (Though I don't often see a barbarian or berserker using any.)
    10. Doesn't become winded after raging.
    11. Immunity to backstab.
    12. From what I can tell, this does need verifying. But I think the barbarian won't die from his loss of CON if his HP gained is more then what he has left at the end of raging. The book points out that berserkers do, but doesn't say so about barbarians.

Berserkers:
    1. Rage gives immunity to Maze, Imprisonment, Stun, and Sleep.
    2. Rage gives a flat +15 HP. Again, this is better for berserkers until level 8 when the barbarian starts getting more HP.
    3. Can get 5 slots in proficiencies. Over the barbarians 2 slots. Giving the berserker the ability to get +2 thaco, +3 damage, +1 APR, and -3 speed factor. Though this is at the cost of diversifying what weapons you can use well. Overall, less damage, but more attacks and more hits.
    4. Can wear any armor.

Overall, I would use berserkers against ranged (especially casters) and barbarians against melee.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    What about dualed Berserker vs. dualed Barbarian? Many mods (SCS for example) allow it, and for good reason: Barbarians are a fighter kit, not a separate class (like say Sorcerer), and PnP allows them to dual as well.

Is that the same discussion as single vs. single, then, or does dualing change the respective values around? Certainly it's more interesting if you consider a Barbarian without maximum resistances, but with some of them, and a larger HP pool.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    Many mods (SCS for example) allow it, and for good reason
    Is this the only difference from PnP? If not then you are just arbitrarily picking mods to support your argument.
    I can only say it again, but BG and PnP have to be looked at separately. PnP was the basis for BG to be sure, but it's a different rule set now. You can't carbon-copy PnP onto BG, it just doesn't work.

That being said, in this particular case I'm simply saying that originally, there was no reason for Barbarians not to be able to dual; add to that the fact that they are coded in a way that easily allows for it in BG, and many people suspect that them not being able to dual was not an intentional design decision, but an oversight (much like Wild Mages, this was afaik fixed in BG:EE).

I'm not saying that PnP should be the REASON, I'm saying that the PnP situation is an INDICATOR that it MAY have been an oversight. And as the other Ber vs. Bar thread has shown, dual-classing skews the discussion so heavily that it's definitely a point that should be talked about.

Also, SCS is far from arbitrary; if there was ever a "staple" mod for BG, that would be it.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited June 2013
    No one would play a PnP-style berserker. Very few immunities (Command, sleep, charm/dom immunity, +4 save vs hold and paralysis, +5 hp, +1 hit, +3 damage, prevents 1 failed fear save but ends the rage), chance per round to lose control, cannot be healed at all while raging, can't go beyond specialization, can't place points in ranged weapons at creation, nor can they use them while raging. Can't cast spells while raging.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    kamuizin said:

@Quartz, the monk class send a hug to you, just to know.

Right, but if we compare a Monk vs. a dual-class build, the dual-class build almost undoubtedly wins. Boring.

Seems like a hasty generalization fallacy, by the way. The Monk is probably the *one* possible exception to what I said, and yet you bring it up as if it dismisses my entire point. That's not only kind of insulting to me, it's also more importantly quite illogical.

Anyway, if you have nothing actually useful to say against my point, then I guess we're done here.
    If monks could dual class, they'd be better. So it isn't really an exception.
    I'd prefer a single class monk over a dual any time, just saying.

This discussion is free @Lord_Tansheron , i'm not limiting anything in the OP, except good sense maybe :)!

Dual class Barbarians are an old discussion, the amount of times that where asked to officialize their dual class border the thousands, by myself i have no problem in discussing those possibilities, but being not vanilla we can't mix this discussion with the official Barbarian x Berserker only.

We can raise arguments for an paralell discussion of Barb x Zerk both however,that's not off-topic totally and can lead to some interesting ideas, the main point of the original OP was to evaluate which class/kit is better for gameplay, any discussion over it will only benefit people.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Dualing a barbarian isn't as great an idea because Barbarian's damage resistance continues to ramp up until you read epic levels. So if you dual before then you lose these later game benefits.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    The barb's DR is finished at 19 (it caps at 20%...11 gives 10%, 15 +5%, and 19 +5%). They gain no additional benefits aside from HLA and extra rage uses in ToB.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

The barb's DR is finished at 19 (it caps at 20%...11 gives 10%, 15 +5%, and 19 +5%). They gain no additional benefits aside from HLA and extra rage uses in ToB.

Right but if you wait until Level 19 to dual class, you are gonna have a long time to get your levels back. Late SOA or into TOB.

Yes, but on the other hand, you only lose one increment by dualing at level 15 and 15 % reduction.
    You likely won't want to dual before 13 anyway for the extra APR, so 2 more levels is a relatively small concession for permanent resistance. Depending on party size, play style, and class you dual into, you can get your old class back in quite a reasonable time.

I like dualing into Cleric, stacking Barbarian resistance with Defender of Easthaven, Armor of Faith, and Roranach's Horn... fun times!
  • AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    barb 15 is a nice tank, dualed to cleric through mods like Lord T says is gonna be real nice ... you could have another healer in the party like shapeshifter dualed to fighter at 14 gm'ing in staff to cover your low level healing requirements, some go without ...
    @Lord_Tansheron i'm playing an Barbarian/Cleric at this exactly moment in fact :)! I dualled him at level 5 just to get the extra HP, rage and speed, but i'm thinking in reset that game, remake that barbarian, play him single class in BG and dual him at level 15 in BG2 (gonna import the char into an normal BG2). Those ideas here are great and i'm itching to test them :)!

So now lemme go half off-topic (cos we're still discussing barbarians here) and define which is the best barbarian dual class for a lvl 15 barbarian:

My barbarian gonna be good aligned Human that will dual class at level 15 with 1.750.000 (what means that he gonna probally be going to Brinlaw island to reach spell hold at this point cos i normally do everything i can in act 2 and 3 before pursue the main quest).

A Barbarian/Druid could be awsome (then i would be true neutral), the main issue is that to dual to druid at level 15 meant that i will have to get 3.500.000 XP before i access my previous barbarian class while as a cleric i would only need 1.800.000 XP to get access to my preivous class.

Both has pros and againsts in spell terms but the druid xp request for level 16 is really an bothering request, druids apparently are supposed to be dualed to when a fighter reach level 13 (as to reach lvl 14 you need only 750.000 xp), so my 1° question is: What ppl suggest?

For my 2° question, does anyone have any advice in term of NPC mods? I'm going to use SCS II, Tweak, Rogue R., Cross Mod and Item Upgrade (gonna unninstall BGT as i have BG EE now) as rule set and behavior adjustment mods, but for NPCs i'm a bit in the dark.

So please just list an NPC mod that will fit well with an chaotic good Barbarian (or true neutral barbarian for Barb/Druid if you think that's best).

For my final question:

Should i install ascension? And what about Weimer's Tactic mode? I'm going to be some levels above the normal begin of BG2 as i'm going to import the char from BG EE, so what you ppl think?
    Personally, I consider Ascension almost mandatory for ToB. It just isn't a very good ending without it. Tactics has some nice challenges in it, and coupled with SCS can do some truly nasty stuff to you - make sure to check compatibility (iirc Tactics' Improved Mae'var doesn't quite work with some of SCS' components, but that may have been fixed by now).

I am not well versed in NPC mods, as they are extremely difficult to make well. The only one I regularly use is Solaufein, both because I like Drow, and because it adds a very challenging battle (Lunar Eclipse). I suppose a Drow working with a Barbarian is not unprecedented, or so I've heard.... >_>
    I seem to recall good things about the Valen mod, too, though that would likely be something for an evil party. I haven't tested it in its current version, the last time I played it she was horribly broken (as in: completely and totally overpowered) but that was at least five years ago.

I'm not a big fan of druid with SCS, for the simple reason that fire shields stop insects - and pretty much every single mage in the game casts fire shield. If you're dispelling them successfully, then you might as well bash their heads in instead of plaguing them with creepy-crawlies... Aside from insects, I've never really seen much use for druid spells compared to cleric ones. And, of course, that ridiculous XP-gap is there, too, to make life more annoying.

I think what you dual into largely depends on your party setup. Cleric would make sense because of the aforementioned resistance-stacking. Mages are a bit redundant with a Barbarian, as their protective spells make you take very little damage, and thus decrease the value of your HP and resistances. Thief I could see, though again I'm not sure if they play well with the more tanky nature of a Barbarian.

Keep in mind though that you don't necessarily have to play your Barbarian that way. You can just take the toughness as a perk, and not a main feature; though I suppose the question then becomes whether it's worth the trade-off of less weapon proficiency.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited June 2013
    i don't get it

when ppl were arguing crom faeir their main reason for use was "WOW CROM FAEIR IS SOO GOOD BEST WEAPON EVER MADE"

now when PPL don't want to argue berserker/mage vs barbarian they are like "WOW MAGE IS BETTER THAN BARBARIAN END OF TOPIC"

wtf
    it's life @Zur312, deal with it :)!
    It's all about the discussion, not about the result. There isn't some magical verdict you can pronounce and end it all - if it was that easy, it'd be no fun at all, wouldn't it?
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Fighting rust monsters in an anti-magic zone, Monk wins.

There is no "correct" answer to "which is better", it's always situational.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited June 2013
    kamuizin said:

it's life @Zur312, deal with it :)!

i would say "it's my life" but others might disagree

ofc disagree about "life" in this thread ; D
  • DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315

No one would play a PnP-style berserker. Very few immunities (Command, sleep, charm/dom immunity, +4 save vs hold and paralysis, +5 hp, +1 hit, +3 damage, prevents 1 failed fear save but ends the rage), chance per round to lose control, cannot be healed at all while raging, can't go beyond specialization, can't place points in ranged weapons at creation, nor can they use them while raging. Can't cast spells while raging.

I would! :D So much that I've actually made a mod, which works with BGEE too, where the Berserker really is a frenzied berserker as per PnP. Mind you, beta testers are actually considering it quite great despite all the PnP inspired drawbacks. :)

Just in case anyone is interest here's the link to the mod forum: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=17358

BTW, the whole vanilla Barbarian vs. Berserker is very simple imo, if you count dual class combos the Berserker has much higher potential, but as a single class pure class the Barbarian is better, especially at high levels.
    If i'm not wrong, berserker rage in vanilla make the character immortal to damage until the rage ends. You can desintegrate him or turn into stone i think, but no ammount of damage kill a berserker character in vanilla until the rage ends (what normally kills the character, aka not a very wise choice for main char in BG).
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Frenzied berserker in 3rd is unkillable via damage dealing (only death effects, ability damage or stuff like disintegrate or death from massive damage), but are less reliable than Minsc sometimes. Silliness indeed. There is an actual berserker prest class in deities and demigods.

The pnp 2nd Ed kit is indeed awful. No reason to use.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I don't get the argument that people often present that AC doesn't matter in ToB. How does it not matter? In my current ToB playthrough I have both a fighter and a barbarian in my party, and I know from very recent experience that my fighter lasts at least half a minute against a tough melee opponent without healing while my barbarian only lasts a few seconds, and the barbarian even has more HP. I think AC indeed does matter very much, and you'll need to have it down to at least -15 to -20 on your tank in order for it to give you its full advantage.
  • CronatosCronatos Member Posts: 44
    It might be worth noting, however, that berserking gives a +2 bonus to AC and a barbarian rage gives a -2 penalty, which is a difference of 4 if you use them.