Skip to content

Account Name, what's your story?

Comments

• TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    My brother Fifty tried that months ago. He still hasn't come home, I'm starting to get worried about him.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

I dunno, I guess it messed with my mental image of Quartz.

This. I will reveal my previous mental image of Quartz:

As a child, I was big time into dinosaurs and fossils and such, and had a geology collection. I had some types of Quartz stones (probably not the right English term, but you get the idea). They were the most colorful stones - the others were crappy rocks with leaf prints and such - so my mental image of Quartz was someone who makes jewelry with these colorful rocks, possibly using a steampunk-ish monocole. So yeah. Sonic the Hedgehog is kinda... messing with that.

EudaemoniumQuartzTeflonTJ_Hooker
  • AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    edited March 2013
    Some pre-socractic greek guy Carl Sagan was boosting in a random Cosmos episode I barely remember watching on the origins of science ... just super cool sounding :D

I sometimes go by Kastlefeer in the past ... a jumble of syllables dedicated to the worrisome mtg player Darwin Kastle and his "living death" ... and a vague allusion to a fear of tyranny ... or something like that ... also cool sounding of course hehe
    Teflon
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

Some pre-socractic greek guy Carl Sagan was boosting in a random Cosmos episode I barely remember watching on the origins of science ... just super cool sounding :D

I sometimes go by Kastlefeer in the past ... a jumble of syllables dedicated to the worrisome mtg player Darwin Kastle and his "living death" ... and a vague allusion to a fear of tyranny ... or something like that ... also cool sounding of course hehe

Ah, Anaximander, best know for great works like 'The Anaximander Fragment' and... well, that's about it, really. XD
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    One of my earliest nicknames I used on the world of the internet... And it's just based on my name. It's just sticked around.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited March 2013

Bhaaldog said:

Quartz said:

This is probably the backstory I least expected.

Rofl, how so? :)
    Because It is linked to Sonic the Hedgehog?
    Because it's linked to post Sonic Adventure Sonic the Hedgehog, and that it had to do with a Chao.

The generally accepted cut-off of "quality Sonic games" is after SA2, not SA1, lol.

And most peoples' mental image of Quartz was freakin' Dorn ... which was quite funny but needed to stop. There's a reason I jumped off that ship when the game released, I knew it wouldn't last to be honest. Plus while he's cool he's far from my favorite character there's that too. ^^;

Besides this has got to be one of the worst forums out there for actually getting to know people. All we do is talk about Baldur's Gate (which is great!) and then start drama about politics and religion once in a while (which needs to freakin' stop but I know it won't). The most personal thing I've shared with this forum was me in a skeleton fairy costume for Halloween, lol!

This. I will reveal my previous mental image of Quartz:

As a child, I was big time into dinosaurs and fossils and such, and had a geology collection. I had some types of Quartz stones (probably not the right English term, but you get the idea). They were the most colorful stones - the others were crappy rocks with leaf prints and such - so my mental image of Quartz was someone who makes jewelry with these colorful rocks, possibly using a steampunk-ish monocole. So yeah. Sonic the Hedgehog is kinda... messing with that.

If it makes you feel better, my fondness for the stone has been one of the contributing factors to me keeping the name. I am hardly a Sonic fanboy anymore. I wish I could be, but considering the games they've been releasing, I just can't, hah! Here's how I look at it:

Name originated because of Quartz the chao.
    Name stuck because I like the stone, and because my favorite genre of music is hard rock, baby. \m/
  • EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70
    Eleutheros was Martin Luther's (the 16th century-one) classic greek name.

I like Luther and classic/koine greek :)
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Anduin is actually the name of the river that flows from the Grey Mountains, Rivendell and through to Minas Tirith. As a geographer, I have intimate knowledge of rivers and have took a kayak down many rivers Tolkien would have known.

The way Tolkien used the river from transporting the characters, connecting ideas and story, to make it BELIEVABLE also connected with me. Think about WHAT happened on that river... It is almost a character in itself.

Secondly my name sounds pretty similar...

Plus it sounds like how some one would hail me in Brooklyn.

*to be read in a thick working class Brooklyn drawl the same as Joey from Friends*

"Hey Andy 'owyoodooin?"

Just take out the y and your there with Anduin.

Come to think of it... If I was called Ron, would i be writing about why I'm called Amazon?

Thank god I'm not called Giles then...
    [Deleted User]Teflonlolien
    @KidCarnival I can't hate on that! That's a pretty badass mental image.
    KidCarnivalEudaemonium
    Quartz said:

@KidCarnival I can't hate on that! That's a pretty badass mental image.

Congratulations! You have unlocked achievement "Personal Steampunk Gold Smithy"!
    Quartz
    Quartz said:
    Nice account pic. :D

QuartzEudaemoniumWanderon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    KidCarnivalEudaemonium
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    i signed up for a baldurs gate forum, i thought up a baldurs gate name really quick. i used to be a mass effect fan so my usual name would be InfiltratorN7 due to legion's shadow broker dlc dossier.
  • StrayedMonkeyStrayedMonkey Member Posts: 146
    it's an anagram
  • TaylorTwerkTaylorTwerk Member Posts: 79
    There is a deep meaning to mine
    My name is Taylor and I enjoy the ghetto folk dance of twerking.

Sorry if I come off as too deep or edgy to you guys.
    EudaemoniumKidCarnival
  • AislinnAislinn Member Posts: 4
    It's my name. (No, seriously, that's my first name.) Usually I go by an alias of some kind, but for whatever reason I decided not to this time.
    Eudaemonium
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    I like sunlight but in the Netherlands there are always clouds in the way so I need artificial sunlight
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    Because if you put the last part of my first name and and the first letter of last name together it sounds like wolf in swedish. Which in turn sounds like Worg.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I am actually a dragon, and my full name is ajwzthaxyllsivlya, but I allow you mortals to shorten it to something more easy to pronounce in your barbaric tounge.

alternatively, ajw are my initials and I added a z on the end to make it sound cooler 8)
    Illustair
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Bhaaldog said:

So many dragons shortening their names these days...

You're telling me? My older brother keeps asking everyone to call him Bret.
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77
    edited April 2013
    I'm a Forma Blood Axe Ork who became a freeboota, some Tau claimed dey 'ad a job fer me, so i took me an' me crew ta da meetin' point, but it woz an' ambush, we took some o' dem out but me an' da remainin' crew memberz woz captured. Dey took us to dis science facility an' experimented on us, dese experimentz caused us great pain, some o' da boyz died.....but da rest o' us, dose who survived...da experimentz made us smarta, our thoughtz clearer. Dey den sent us to a planet......let us loose. Our first thoughtz were, o' course, ta conquer da place.......but ova time dose thoughtz faded.....dey ceased ta make sense. We began ta realize wot happened to us, our intelligence wozn't da only fing dey changed.....we woz altered on a genetic level......we began to realize our newfound smartz, our clarity......our ambition, even da orks dat spawned from our sporez woz altered in such a way.....we realized our power, wot we could do. So I den declared me an' da boyz da Mad Wolvez clan an' me da Warboss Aohd, an' started doin' mercenary work fer da Humies, da eldar, an' da Tau. But dis woz just so we could gatha funds......our real plan woz ta gatha da orkz under one glorious empire (wit us enlightened orks leadin' dem.).......den a gretchen spent some money on video gamez an' we all started playin'.......we woz hooked.

An' thus we all became gamin' orks. We decided we'd just focus on dat. Don't get us wrong, we still do mercenary work, still gatherin' a Waaagh.......but we spend most of our time playin' video gamez now.

(As for the name Kou the Mad, was trying to think of names to use as my character's in a game i was about to play, went through my mind to try and find name, remembered Kou from 'The Bouncer' and thus i used that name, the Mad comes from me being insane)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    KouTheMad said:

(As for the name Kou the Mad, was trying to think of names to use as my character's in a game i was about to play, went through my mind to try and find name, remembered Kou from 'The Bouncer' and thus i used that name, the Mad comes from me being insane)

Kudos for the Bouncer reference!

"Here goes!" *Face-kick!*
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Well... Might be obvious. Having said that, though, I suppose I probably should change my avatar to reflect the username...
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @Troodon80 YES! DINOSAUR PICS NOW!!!!
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Tresset, I already miss the panda avatar.
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    Decided to change my picture to an actual starlily. :)