Skip to content

[Announcement] Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has been temporarily removed from sale.

Comments

• Aron740Aron740 Member Posts: 153
    CamDawg said:

Aron740 said:

And a question: Why can't you tell us what is really going on? Why would it be a secret?

As with most legal matters, generally the less you comment publicly the better. There's a reason why the default response of pretty much every organization about ongoing legal issues is 'no comment'.
    Okay, It is just really frustrating to see something you love crumble for an unknown reason and be entirely powerless while it happens. Not that I have enough pull to do anything even if I knew, but if the opportunity for fan-help(?) would arise, PLEASE tell us!
    I am sure no one here would even hesitate to offer their assistance! And I hope if there even is a slight possibility that this situation would bring something better that it will, or at least turn things back to normal.
  • Aron740Aron740 Member Posts: 153
    This may be a foolish question but different countries allow different actions but you do of course still get paid during this big mess, right? Even if you well, do not work on the game?
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    You still have my support, for Bg:ee, Bg2:ee and bg3 (and hopefully someday iwd:ee, iwd2:ee, planescape:ee, toee:ee). In fact, I still have the intention of buying a second copy of bg:ee for my apple device. You are doing a great job.
  • DafojkDafojk Member Posts: 111
    Have not read through the whole thread but just wanted to express my gratitude of your work so far. I hope you will be able to continue the project(s) eventually.
  • HardtargetHardtarget Member Posts: 5
    ugh what a fuckup, really wanted that patch
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

shawne said:

In a heartbeat, if they could profit from it. They're probably already getting a percentage of the profits, though: why shoot themselves in the foot?

Getting a percentage of the profits is not so much an issue as one side feeling they're not getting their appropriate share, which leads down legal rabbit holes and all sorts of nonsense. It is frustrating, but it happens.

This also explains why, for instance, there is no Alpha Centauri II. Firaxis would love to do one, but they can't get through the legal labyrinth.
    Yeah, the most annoying is that with that much paperwork and time spent on the legal business they could just as well help us and script some scenes. They would get their share with honest work :(
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    edited June 2013
    Sadness..

Weekend is coming now and means couple days will not have any progress .....

What's wrong , just pay the money and have fun , why is so difficut ...

Fucking IP holder.... Your children will not have asshole,

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Somulo_ No worries. It's just easy to apologize when no harm was intended. I'm not all bent about it. :D
  • VII_outLawVII_outLaw Member Posts: 46
    Somulo_ said:

@reedmilfam

don't apologize sir it's just joke too

wish it was
  • suddenly_humansuddenly_human Member Posts: 22
    I think a few previous posters have pretty much nailed this on the head already but I would make an educated guess that this has everything to do with Atari’s bankruptcy and the sale of their IP by the administrators. Overhaul will have a contract with Atari to use the Baldur’s Gate franchise but if Atari sells the franchise the contract with Atari is void, ordinarily this would be a breach of contract and Overhaul would sue but as Atari is being wound up Atari’s creditors have priority over customers’ claims (which for simplicities sake that is what Overhaul is) and therefore there is very little in the way of assets for Overhaul to claim. Now one would assume that in the contract between the two parties there was a provision for potential bankruptcy but the contents of that is only speculation.

I would imagine Overhaul are left with two options – attempting to buy the BG franchise from the administrators or making it a condition of sale that any new buyers of the BG franchise honour existing licensing agreements. I suspect Overhaul don’t have the capital to buy the franchise and it is also likely that potential buyers of the BG franchise are reluctant to have any existing contractual obligations. In effect you could have the new buyer turning around and saying to Overhaul “ok you want to use the IP but here are your new terms lump them or leave them.”

This could take some time… :(
  • TeahlTeahl Member Posts: 26
    I was very sad when I saw the announcement today. Thankfully I bought the game when it first came out... poor people who didn't have it yet.

As others have said on here, just let us know if there is anything we can do. I'd definitely help a Kickstarter, or do whatever else you guys needed. Meanwhile, just do what you can, don't leak more than you are supposed to, even if people are begging! ;)

Great work up until this point; now good luck with this nonsense!
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    Look at it from the bright side.
    We Beta-testers will have a longer time to find bugs and improve the game before it's released.

Keep your dreams alive folks.
  • RhaellaRhaella Member, Developer Posts: 178

I think a few previous posters have pretty much nailed this on the head already but I would make an educated guess that this has everything to do with Atari’s bankruptcy and the sale of their IP by the administrators. Overhaul will have a contract with Atari to use the Baldur’s Gate franchise but if Atari sells the franchise the contract with Atari is void, ordinarily this would be a breach of contract and Overhaul would sue but as Atari is being wound up Atari’s creditors have priority over customers’ claims (which for simplicities sake that is what Overhaul is) and therefore there is very little in the way of assets for Overhaul to claim. Now one would assume that in the contract between the two parties there was a provision for potential bankruptcy but the contents of that is only speculation.

I would imagine Overhaul are left with two options – attempting to buy the BG franchise from the administrators or making it a condition of sale that any new buyers of the BG franchise honour existing licensing agreements. I suspect Overhaul don’t have the capital to buy the franchise and it is also likely that potential buyers of the BG franchise are reluctant to have any existing contractual obligations. In effect you could have the new buyer turning around and saying to Overhaul “ok you want to use the IP but here are your new terms lump them or leave them.”

This could take some time… :(

@suddenly_human - As far as I can make out, Atari only owns the distribution rights to the franchise (other rights seem to be split up between a handful of other corporations). That changes little of your analysis, though, aside from possibly eliminating the two options. There are too many players involved to buy the franchise, and since the only thing a potential buyer of distribution rights has power over IS the distribution thereof, them wanting to honor existing contracts is even less likely.

/all speculation, of course
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Demeaner said:

Is it at all possible that this could be for the best in the long run?
    Maybe once the legal matters are settled, some of the previous restrictions on alterations might be lifted?

I know I'm looking for silver lining, but I just don't feel like having a bad day anymore today...

I could only see this happen if Overhaul was the one to acquire the full rights from Atari.
  • JalisterJalister Member Posts: 146
    Demeaner said:

Is it at all possible that this could be for the best in the long run?
    Maybe once the legal matters are settled, some of the previous restrictions on alterations might be lifted?

I know I'm looking for silver lining, but I just don't feel like having a bad day anymore today...

The only silver lining I'm interested in is a DRM free version. I still haven't purchased or played the enhanced edition because of it.

However, it is sad to know the game can't be sold currently until the problem is resolved. What I don't understand is why can't a completed patch be released for those that already own the game? It's not like there is any sort of financial transactions involved.

• PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    What... the... ****!?
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @Dee I would disagree. I think "connect to the internet and log in in order to install" is very much DRM. I would also like a DRM-free version eventually.
  • JalisterJalister Member Posts: 146
    Dee said:

@Jalister
    There is no DRM on the game now. You only need to connect in order to install and then update the game; you can play the game without connecting at all.

So basically online activation. Even if it's only once, that's still DRM.

It feels like Infinite Dungeons for Neverwinter Nights all over again. I never purchased it because of the online DRM. Now I will most likely never have it since it can no longer be sold.

Hopefully BG:EE will be offered for sale again, but unless things change, it will not affect me.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    The main difference is that way I can back up the installer on my computer and install it 120 years from now when your server is no longer online.

And yes, I do plan to live another 120 years. I'll be a lich and I'll be playing BG:EE on my ancient computer. Provided we ever get a DRM-free version.
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    Geez.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @Dee Sorry to be asking this really. There was a whole thread about it pre-release, which I never understood.

I was under the impression that BGEE never had DRM, is that wrong?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Here's the way it works:

Step 1: Purchase the game from Beamdog (or...well...you know what I mean.)
    Step 2: Download the game's installer
    Step 3: Log in to the installer with your Beamdog credentials, just like if you were logging into the website.
    Step 4: Install the game.
    Step 5: There is no step five. Back-up the game files, move them to an external drive, do whatever you like. Or, I guess there's a step five if you want to install a patch--"Run the installer and install the patch". But that's it.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited June 2013
    I can only assume, but i have a very... sinister assumption.
    I think that Perfect World Entertainment (Abbreviated PWE) is behind the publisher issue. They acquired the rights to develop and publish D&D computer games from Atari when Atari went insolvent in January 2013.

With that rights they made the Free2Play (and, yes, you guessed it right, shadily Pay2Win, as usual) game Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter.

Would fit them well to prevent competition, especially from the good older games...
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Well, even if it's them, and you are right with your assumption, we should do what was told and not shout at them or harass them to make situation worse. Not until after all negotiations have died, anyway, and there's nothing left to lose.

After that, release the shit cannons.
This discussion has been closed.