Skip to content

[Announcement] Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has been temporarily removed from sale.

Comments

• SensukiSensuki Member Posts: 19
    elminster said:

- Bug fixes (though obviously there have been a few bugs created as well)

Every version of the patch has introduced more bugs than the previous one, in my experience.
    There were other nice little features like the different coloured circles under NPC's, new sound sets, the zoom feature and portraits. The Black Pits was sort of interesting but not something I think I'll go back to.

Though its had its share of problems (especially around the initial launch) the game itself is certainly enhanced over what you'd get with a standard BGT install.
    The selection circles in BGEE are shit, I don't like the different colors and they are blurry and terrible compared to the original selection circles which are nice and solid and clear.

The OpenGL graphics are terrible. The game is blurrier than the DirectDraw original. The Zoom feature is fucking pointless because the default zoom and close zoom levels are stretching the source art beyond their intended viewing margin and thus look like garbage.

The new areas are also blurry and terrible as well. Abymsal job.

The sound sets are a different volume to the originals and sound completely different.

The new portraits aren't even in the same art style as the original. Mind you I really enjoyed Jason Manley's work on Icewind Dale but I don't like the new BGEE portraits.

The Black Pits is just a combat challenge thing, it's a copout installment to the game.

Kits and Items etc do not matter. Anyone can make those.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    edited June 2013
    @Pecca - is it really that bad? I've been considering giving the GOG version a shot with BGT and widescreen mod. I never use mods so i'm a bit skeptical about stability - but widescreen seems to be working well for Icewind Dale at least!

It seems I have limited options until BG:EE is back on =(
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,196
    @EntropyXII: Well it's my personal feeling. I remember a bad time with installing and playing BGT. But I would recommend you to try it for yourself, a lot of people like it. Widescreen mod is great but as BG vanilla GUI doesn't scale, it looks bad, so it needs BGT.
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    edited June 2013
    Sad news... I hope you guys can win back the publishing rights and wipe your "partners" arse with it!

Go overhaul!
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Why are you even on this board anymore, @Sensuki? If you dislike the game so much, it should be pure torture, or at least a waste of your time, for you to continue hanging out.

Unless you just like to pick up fights and tell the rest of us how wrong we are, in which case I don't have much to say. Not taking the bait.
    edited June 2013
    @Pecca - I've heard conflicting reviews on BGT. Some say it's buggy with a few game crippling bugs. Others say it's fantastic. In your experience did you come across game breakers?

@Sensuki - What @typo_tilly said. BG:EE wasn't just about enhancing the original content. It was about bringing the game to different platforms. Just because you don't care about that doesn't mean other people aren't enjoying it. Not every person knows how to add mods to games and EE was a way of giving people all the modified updates without them having to go into technicalities. I personally don't like messing about with my games core files so EE was a fantastic proposition.

You need to chill out mate. Your constant aggressive swearing isn't going to help. Kids might be rolling about these forums.
    Post edited by EntropyXII on
  • SensukiSensuki Member Posts: 19
    daven said:

I imagine you're the sort of person who doesn't enjoy anything.

Love all the Infinity Engine Games. Hate Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition.

and @Chow I came back just to post my happiness about the game being shelved because Overhaul would have ruined the series.

Sayonara.

• PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,196
    @EntropyXII: First of all, I remember installing and reinstalling it for several days (yeah). Then I played it for a while, but there were some major lags in some areas. I was trying to find a solution and messed the game completely. I promptly uninstalled it and promised myself for the sake of my well being to never install it again. But it was a long time ago, and I was very young and didn't understand mods much. Now I might make it work just fine, but fortunately don't have to.

But if you're not happy with current EE, you should try it. There is really no downside for trying. Well, if you're patient enough... :)
    @Pecca - I'm perfectly happy with EE. My only issue being that once I complete it I would have to wait a long while before I can import my character to BG2 (EE)! Going back to vanilla is more of a filler, at least until Shadowrun Returns comes out next month (I highly recommend all BG fans check this one out).

It seems to me that I wont like BGT - I can always try it and then if I screw everything up, reinstall the game. Do I really want to do that though? Million quid rhetorical question.
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    edited June 2013
    Is this the final information (See the Update information in the link below) ?
    Did they stop and will come back or.... I just hope not (I don't dare to even write it). Would be a bad bad day!

http://kotaku.com/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-pulled-from-app-store-b-514496494

• davendaven Member Posts: 112

@Pecca - I'm perfectly happy with EE. My only issue being that once I complete it I would have to wait a long while before I can import my character to BG2 (EE)! Going back to vanilla is more of a filler, at least until Shadowrun Returns comes out next month (I highly recommend all BG fans check this one out).

It seems to me that I wont like BGT - I can always try it and then if I screw everything up, reinstall the game. Do I really want to do that though? Million quid rhetorical question.

Thanks for showing me to that Shadowrun Returns it looks awesome!
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    I'm saddened by the news that even the patch has no more work put into it at this point. What about support? Even if things turn out bad and you can't do BGEE2, you should still support the game you've already released.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited June 2013
    Thunder said:

What about support?

For whatever reason, their publisher, Atari, prohibits them to do so. Hence no patch release.

This could also be the reason why BioWare (now (sadly) part of EA) no longer hosts Neverwinter Nights support and patch files (instead redirecting to the Atari support page which merely only hosts NWN patches up to 1.66, whereas 1.69 is the newest official version).
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    edited June 2013

Request for the dev's: Would you guys be able to give us progress reports on what is happening behind the scenes? I know you cannot mention any details about what is happening - but perhaps simple messages such as "We'll know soon", "Everything is going well in our discussions" or "We'll have a better idea by July 16th - 19th."

Fully understanding that you guys will have to move onto other projects - even dev's have to eat - progress reports would give us players some sense of hope/clarity in the coming weeks/months.

Sorry to pester about this - I just had an unnerving thought of how unsettling it would be if you guys disappear on us until this ordeal is over, for better or worse.

Don't except any quick resolution. According to this Shacknews interview this "lockdown" on their BG work will last at least a few weeks, and that's the best case scenario...

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79831/baldurs-gate-enhanced-pulled-over-contractual-issues?id=30362419#item_30362419
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192

For whatever reason, their publisher, Atari, prohibits them to do so. Hence no patch release.

The bigger the company, it seems, the less clue they have on how to run things. I hope Beamdog manages to convince them otherwise.
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    edited June 2013

Thunder said:

What about support? Even if things turn out bad and you can't do BGEE2, you should still support the game you've already released.

See that's what I've not seem that stated by anyone from beamdog. Perhaps they could clarify? Can they only not work on new games, or are they prohibited from patching anything previously released too? Perhaps it's just a business choice on their part not to work on the patch.
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    I am know as an intellectual master and a spy who is so undercover he tells everyone so he looks like a bootless basement dweller. In sooth I have yet to leave my basement since my handy climber elevator chair broke when I sat on it returning from Taco Bell and KFC where I ate 3 family sharer buckets and 4 party size Mexican snack packs sets. My brother still come with a fork lift every week too lift my arse off the bed and hose it down after he pours tide on me. But, let us dispense with the frivolous statements of how great and cool I am in my super undercover NSA ninja job that makes James Bond out to be a homebound celibate vegan harmless quaker. The truth is I am off the grid living in a mtn cabin in Montana with stock piles of fully automatic weapons, mres, a deep well, and ten years supply of nachos, cheesy poofs, and 3 full sets of the complete barbie dress up and dream home. I know the satellite internet will wink out after China and the UN attack us after the economic collapse. I want to get the enhanced editions done before that.

Tiax was minding his mace perusing the stalls of Baldurs Gate looking for a gnome training neck chain. Along he came to two fat Merchants arguing over a sale of fruit armor. With righteous rage Tiax declared,

"All goods and products belong to TIAX cyric has declared it!" Thus speaking Tiax called to his stinky undead ghast who, pooping constantly and similtaneoulsy hurling the offal, covered the two bickering merchants in undead excrement. This solved the fruit sale as the fruit armor was instantly destroyed whrn it came in contact with the triple cursed unholy poos.

And thus ended the story of Baldurs Gate: a tragic divisive story of evil pushy and inconsiderate gold grubbers who were interfering with the masterful creative genius of one who should RULE ALL.

YOU WILL FINISH THE GAME AND TIAX WILL HAVE A CYRIC BLESSED TIAX ONLY MACE IN BG TWO THAT CAN BE UPGRADED WITH PIECES OF STOLEN PALADIN SOILED UNDERSHORTS. CYRIC COMMANDS IT!
    edited June 2013
    Beowulf said:

I am know as an intellectual master and a spy who is so undercover he tells everyone so he looks like a bootless basement dweller. In sooth I have yet to leave my basement since my handy climber elevator chair broke when I sat on it returning from Taco Bell and KFC where I ate 3 family sharer buckets and 4 party size Mexican snack packs sets. My brother still come with a fork lift every week too lift my arse off the bed and hose it down after he pours tide on me. But, let us dispense with the frivolous statements of how great and cool I am in my super undercover NSA ninja job that makes James Bond out to be a homebound celibate vegan harmless quaker. The truth is I am off the grid living in a mtn cabin in Montana with stock piles of fully automatic weapons, mres, a deep well, and ten years supply of nachos, cheesy poofs, and 3 full sets of the complete barbie dress up and dream home. I know the satellite internet will wink out after China and the UN attack us after the economic collapse. I want to get the enhanced editions done before that.

Tiax was minding his mace perusing the stalls of Baldurs Gate looking for a gnome training neck chain. Along he came to two fat Merchants arguing over a sale of fruit armor. With righteous rage Tiax declared,

"All goods and products belong to TIAX cyric has declared it!" Thus speaking Tiax called to his stinky undead ghast who, pooping constantly and similtaneoulsy hurling the offal, covered the two bickering merchants in undead excrement. This solved the fruit sale as the fruit armor was instantly destroyed whrn it came in contact with the triple cursed unholy poos.

And thus ended the story of Baldurs Gate: a tragic divisive story of evil pushy and inconsiderate gold grubbers who were interfering with the masterful creative genius of one who should RULE ALL.

YOU WILL FINISH THE GAME AND TIAX WILL HAVE A CYRIC BLESSED TIAX ONLY MACE IN BG TWO THAT CAN BE UPGRADED WITH PIECES OF STOLEN PALADIN SOILED UNDERSHORTS. CYRIC COMMANDS IT!

O.o
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    'Nuff said, I think!

• ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    Well at least now the community know who is the faulty here!

Atari! But i think they are in bankrupt and they are selling all their rights from games! Also bg license will be on the table?

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Beowulf said:

[snip]

@Beowulf, I have no idea what that all means, but, strangely, I find myself agreeing with it.
  • VishnuVishnu Member Posts: 66
    This is very unfortunate, very sad even, for both fans and developers (which are also included under 'fans').

I don't want to comment on the causes, as we can only speculate as we don't know exactly what is going behind the curtains.

My support to the developers.

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @georgelappies Thanks, that's helpful. Before Dee pointed it out, I didn't know BG:EE was portable. That certainly solves the "DRM problem" for us folks who care about it.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited June 2013
    @EntropyXII BGT and EasyTutu are great, you should give them a go. You'll need to get through a few command line install screens, but there's nothing you can't handle if you have a basic idea of how to copy files, extract a zip archive, and stuff like that.

And in my experience, an EasyTutu install with the proper bugfix packs on it is currently the most bug-free version of BG1 you can get. (At least until the next BG:EE patch is released, if it's truly as awesome as we've been hearing from the devs.)
This discussion has been closed.