Skip to content

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Shin said:

ToEE is a great D&D combat simulator, it's just a shame it's so light on interaction and story. Good skeleton, weak heart.

The game really impressed me initially, at least, with the way it started varying depending on alignment.

@Schneidend

ToEE implements so much stuff, it's ridiculous (grapple, charging, bull-rushing, tripping, etc are context sensitive when you right click on an enemy). Definitely should give it another look. Just make sure to get all the fan-patches for it, as they are very much needed.

I think I just might! While I doubt I'd be able to reproduce my icepunchin', frostragin', grapplebarian from 3.5 and Pathfinder completely faithfully, it'd be nice to see some semblance of it in video game form. Did any fan mods add prestige classes or the like?
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    @Schneidend - be sure to get the modpack from www.co8.org (I highly recommend the "NC" version as the new content is quite nice).
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    ToEE is one of those things I would absolutely LOVE if they'd release a development kit for.....nothing fancy...just release the tools necessary for people to make their own content more easily, since it's quite difficult atm...there's only 1 alternate campaign I'm aware of and it's taken years just for a tiny bit of it to be made.

Or.......maybe...just maybe....ToEE: Enhanced Edition. All the bug fixes and cut content applied, as well inclusion of a development kit and easy module support for implementing custom campaigns, or adding new elements to the existing campaign.

And let the community handle it after that.....would be a nice cheap way to breath some life back into a game framework with a lot of promise that has yet to be fully realized.

The base engine is so awesome that it's just a massive shame that it's so difficult to make entirely new stuff for.
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    edited July 2013
    @ZanathKariashi - I have to admit that it's a fantasy of mine: Overhaul getting exclusive rights to the content (source code etc) of BG1/2, IWD1/2, PS:T and ToEE with no strings attached (lol). I bought them all for $5 from Atari a year ago...

Then they could port BG and IWD to the ToEE engine (though I think the engine needs some serious TLC).
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    Bard is the pits.
    So much potential
    Monk at higher levels is fun.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Darn, I read last! I always play thieves, so I am lying, and I am a mad idiot!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127
    Ranger. I always felt rangers were shortbus fighters... less APR, less thaco and damage, some derp spells, charm animal??? lots of animals to tame against melissan right

I also didnt play monk much, even if they are a powerhouse. I play thieves only as dual class as i think single classed they are gimp, you dont need massive amount of points, and fighter thief is so much better... so is mage thief.

Druid, i did play a bunch of them, i find totemic druid to be pretty damn strong, their summons are some of the best you can have early game. I'm not too much of a fan of the druid spells though, cleric spells are much superior.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Bard.. in BG/BG2 that is.. like them in other D&D titles like NWN2 though. Paladin would be next it weren't for the Inquisitor and Undead Hunter Kits, which I both like, too.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    I have played a monk more than I have played a bard. I have only reached Tarnesh with a monk.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I can't play a monk because I'll just be jealous of Balthazar's cool abilities. Solar Stance! Lunar Stance! Punch mages during their own time stop!

I think there's a mod that gives monks those abilities though, maybe I'll try it out.
  • SporvanSporvan Member Posts: 31
    Bard stronghold alone makes it worth playing them. Most fun roleplaying stronghold.

Also, a well built Blade can be a complete beast in this game. The class is a lot more subtle than others... same goes for Druids.

I actually like the exp ramp on druids at 15. It makes you have a great sense of accomplishment and follows pnp ad&d.

What could've been done better though is class exclusive items for Druids (Wizards have a ton!) and adding in some good low level spells with EE. However, the high level Druid spells are where the fun starts.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Paladin or Monk. Monk because before BGEE I could never play a Monk from Candlekeep all the way through to the Throne of Bhaal, so I never played one.
    No particular reason I never played a Paladin. I just haven't yet.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

If it weren't for the Blackguard kit, I'd never, ever play a Paladin. Damn those fanatically goody goodies, hypocrites in shiny armours and their sticks in their behinds. They have absolutely no respect of the lifes of those countless, innocent, adorable monsters who just want to prey peacefully on humans. :(

You are preaching to the choir, my dark friend! (I only play Blackguard seriously, and I dare to say Eye of Helm is a bit of a special case.)

Re: my vote: Monks.

First, I don't think this type of monk works well in the setting. If I see a martial arts monk, I just can't connect it to the medieval fantasy setting BG has. If the game took place in a different part of Faerun, Kara-Tur or something else more eastern inspired, sure. But not on a coast with castles and keeps and strongholds. (Same for Kensai.)

Second, empty slots drive me crazy. No armor? No robes, weapons, helms, shields? RAGE. I'm the kind of person who gives Kagain 4 weapons and ammo and always has him use melee axe. Or equips Landrin's Worn Boots that have no effect, just so the boots slot isn't empty.
  • MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    Druid, because Cleric/Ranger is better and more interesting in every way.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Who needs a Paladin when in BG1 you have Ajantis and in BG2 you have Keldorn. More important, I find Paladin's not diverse enough (mostly because you can't multiclass them, like you can with Ranger for instance) to be enjoyable as a PC.

My first ever Paladin was at the start of BG:EE, but I'm still waiting for the NPC1Project before continuing with BG:EE. Baldur's Gate has been on hold for over a year now.

Second least played is Thief, though I got a playthrough with a Thief/Mage.
  • LathraelLathrael Member Posts: 69
    ChrisisB said:

Bard. They annoyed me when I played D&D tabletop (or sofaside). And the only bard in BG annoys me as well. It's no help having someone play the lute while real partymembers engage in hand-to-hand combat against an enemy. Makes you just want to throw them out of the party. And conversely, why play a bard?

Try jester. They annoy the enemy instead. Well, at least when in combat.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Funnily, i've never played a barbarian, since I don't see much point to the class when compared to a berzerker.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Aranthys said:

Funnily, i've never played a barbarian, since I don't see much point to the class when compared to a berzerker.

I actually have never played a Barbarian either, but its more because of roleplaying. I always see Barbarian as implying a culture and heritage, not just a warrior who makes use of his anger. A Barbarian wouldn't really be from Candlekeep, would he? Berserker is a more appropriate class imo when describing what most people call a Barbarian.

However, the movement rate increase and the d12 are pretty good benefits over a berserker imo.

However, the movement rate increase and the d12 are pretty good benefits over a berserker imo.

Agreed.. and I wanna add.. the immunity to Backstab and their resistances!! :)
  • LathraelLathrael Member Posts: 69

Aranthys said:

I actually have never played a Barbarian either, but its more because of roleplaying. I always see Barbarian as implying a culture and heritage, not just a warrior who makes use of his anger. A Barbarian wouldn't really be from Candlekeep, would he? Berserker is a more appropriate class imo when describing what most people call a Barbarian.

Hi, i'm charname, grown under tutilage of great sage Gorion and lived my entire childhood in a place full of books. I don't know how to read and my favourite past time is wandering around half-naked and swinging a club to others head while screaming.
    edited December 2013
    Lathrael said:

Aranthys said:

Hi, i'm charname, grown under tutilage of great sage Gorion and lived my entire childhood in a place full of books. I don't know how to read and my favourite past time is wandering around half-naked and swinging a club to others head while screaming.
    Gorion forcing charname to read/study dusty old tomes (and to wear ridiculous robes) etc. IS what made her/him to leave candlekeep half-naked and in a rage as often as possible.. ;)
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Shin said:

ToEE is a great D&D combat simulator, it's just a shame it's so light on interaction and story. Good skeleton, weak heart.

This is the perfect description of TOEE. I really wish they had a modding community with as much talent and passion as Baldur's Gate because the engine itself is great.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Sort of needs to be "any class that can't be multiclassed" option. I never play Monks, Bards, Paladins or Sorcerers, played a pure (wild) mage once, played an Avenger all of five minutes.

I handle boundaries... Poorly.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    edited December 2013
    Specifically fighter, i like barbarian. fighter is just too boring as they have no abilities, barbarians get rage, clerics get spells rangers get stealth etc everyone has some form of ability, the fighter just.....exists

Bhaalspawn abilities don't count as every class gets them
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I hate roleplaying mages
  • AnterosAnteros Member Posts: 37
    I only played a thief once, and it was a multiclassed F/M/T.
    I usually leave the job to Yoshimo, Jan Jansen, and Imoen.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Because they're mostly jerks.