Skip to content

Comments

• SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    Why the frick is the monk class (that rule supreme btw) on top of this list?
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Actually "Barbarian". I often play a multi-class or dual-class fighter but if I want a pure fighter-type, I'd pick a Monk, Ranger or Pally.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Its a dull class to play compared to the others.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited July 2013
    leddyhs said:

Paladin. It doesn't seem to be anything but a weak warrior with no real upsides. If BG didn't have Bhaalspawn abilities, it would stand out with DUHM later on in BG2, especially with those great weapons.

I honestly hope that the devs work up the courage to swap the Bhaalspawn abilities around a little bit into something that doesn't exist in the spellbooks of clerics or mages and something that's more fitting to:

" Bhaal, who finished third, demurred, "I choose death, and it is by my hand that all that you rule Lord Bane will eventually pass to Lord Myrkul. Both of you must pay honor to me and obey my wishes, since I can destroy your kingdom, Bane, by murdering your subjects, and I can starve your kingdom, Myrkul, by staying my hand." "

You forgot :

20% Damage reduction (Armor of faith)
    Protection from Evil
    Death Ward
    Deva (ToB HLA)
    Skeletal warriors
    Turn undead
    Lay on Hands (Awesome heal)
    With divine spells more damage and better Thac0 than a fighter.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    I played with a ranger but once. He was known as Walker and likely dual-classed from a monk anyway...
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    God said:

I played with a ranger but once. He was known as Walker and likely dual-classed from a monk anyway...

I suppose you'd usually play as clerics?
  • KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    My interest in characters is usually directly proportional to their spell casting abilities.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    When the OP asks "Least played" I took that to mean including NPCs. Then it became a tie between Monk and Bard (I have never played either more than about 10 minutes).
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    Yeah, I made the same interpretation. I haven't had much use for bard or monk, though maybe I should. I wonder how much of a challenger it it to play a monk as the main character all the way through.
    I can't remember if there is an NPC monk, but the NPC druid never really appealed to me.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Ive beaten the series (or got to ToB and got bored) with every class and kit, I think. Some more than others (a lot of mages and paladins) But I would have to say I've done fewer playthroughs with Druids than anything else. That huge gap while leveling is a real fun killer.
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127
    edited July 2013

Just gets downright annoying when you're passing a farm in the game and your Monk gets taken out by a chicken.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    The healing touch of a cleric just seems plain wrong to this once innocent choir boy...
  • ChrisisBChrisisB Member Posts: 5
    Bard. They annoyed me when I played D&D tabletop (or sofaside). And the only bard in BG annoys me as well. It's no help having someone play the lute while real partymembers engage in hand-to-hand combat against an enemy. Makes you just want to throw them out of the party. And conversely, why play a bard?
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I have a feeling most people saying Bard haven't tried out the Blade.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Cleric, I have a subconcious dislike to that class somehow. Dont like to be armored and not use swords. I think that has to be the reason... Hmm maybe because I am an agnostic too.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I prefer a more brawler type of unarmed fighting. Boxing, Muay Thai, Krav Maga, etc. I love martial arts movies, but I leave the head kicks to Bruce Lee while my unarmed characters elbow and headbutt their way to victory.

If only there was a D&D CRPG that really supported unarmed fighting the way Pathfinder does. My Pathfinder Barbarian pinned a chimaera one time, and it was awesome.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2013
    You mean like ToEE? (You aren't going to be pinning a Hill Giant due to the size and strength difference, but during a rage, you might could overpower an ogre with a grapple, and hold it, while your allies murder the crap out of it). Though you could trip a hill giant....which is pretty damn hilarious to watch, and pray you can kill the hell out of it before it stands back up and wrecks your world.
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598

Probably because most don't like the idea of becoming bald. After all, not everyone can be as handsome as Patrick Stewart with that "hairstyle".
    Touche.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

You mean like ToEE? (You aren't going to be pinning a Hill Giant due to the size and strength difference, but during a rage, you might could overpower an ogre with a grapple, and hold it, while your allies murder the crap out of it). Though you could trip a hill giant....which is pretty damn hilarious to watch, and pray you can kill the hell out of it before it stands back up and wrecks your world.

I never got ToEE to run smoothly for me. And, at the time that game came out, I had not yet discovered my love for punching things in sword & sorcery games. Did not even realize ToEE had implemented the grapple rules.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I always found the RP aspect of the monk appealing: using your mind and your body as weapons rather than relying on plate and steel - the idea of going up barehanded and lightly clothed against a group of armed and armoured opponents or walking naked into a dungeon and still being able to handle it certainly has its charm.

Another class that appeals to me for the same reasons is the psionicist: no gadgets, no external powersource to tap into, just focus and internal energy.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    @Schneidend

ToEE implements so much stuff, it's ridiculous (grapple, charging, bull-rushing, tripping, etc are context sensitive when you right click on an enemy). Definitely should give it another look. Just make sure to get all the fan-patches for it, as they are very much needed.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    ToEE is a great D&D combat simulator, it's just a shame it's so light on interaction and story. Good skeleton, weak heart.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Easily the Druid. I think it's the only class I've never rolled. They were absolute garbage in BG1 Vanilla, and while BG2 ended up improving them a fair amount, it still wasn't enough. Iron Skins is a fantastic spell, and Fire Elemental and anything Insect related are pretty solid, but what else do they have? They miss out on most of the interesting Cleric spells and a a result are kind of just taking up space in your party, because even if you have a Druid, you're probably still gonna want to grab a Cleric for buffs, anti-vampire duties, Animate Dead, offensive spells like Holy Smite and Bolt of Glory, etc.

Also their kits are pretty meh.

Now, if this were IWD HoW, it'd be a different story. But it isn't, so it's not.

It's worth pointing out, however, that Divine Remix fixes a lot of this. Right now I'm doing a game with Remixed Cernd in my party and man, he kicks butt. Shapeshifters are so much better now.
    @Shin - yes, I agree. Even though the co8 patches really make it much better it still doesn't come close to BG2 in terms of party interaction.