Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 3)

Comments

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @CamDawg If it makes you feel any better, I have yet to finish it myself. I make a habit of picking it up every couple of years and starting a new game, and sometimes I get farther than I did the last time. I'm getting there, slowly but steadily. :)

That said, IWD:EE and IWD2:EE, please!
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    edited September 2013
    I want to thank to all the ppl who work hard on this great game.
    I'm following this forum this past year from the reader side so I never write anything and now I really want to know about the beta release in the words of Jaheira "How long must we wait here, thing start to the south as we sit?" I know it was suppose to be around beginning to mid September but that not seem to happen so any idea when it will be happening if there any chance we will get the beta before the end of Sep ?
    Post edited by kaguana on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    CamDawg said:

Adul said:

@CamDawg If it makes you feel any better, I have yet to finish it myself. I make a habit of picking it up every couple of years and starting a new game, and sometimes I get farther than I did the last time. I'm getting there, slowly but steadily. :)

Yeah, same. And in a move that will really bring out the fanbois, I've also never made it past the mortuary in PST.

I've gotten out the mortuary in PST but not much farther. In IWD 2's case I've gotten past the ice fortress. In either case computer crashes ended my runs and I just haven't been up to try again. So you aren't alone in that :)
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

I can't believe I'd never noticed this before, but were the outdoor area images originally drawn as one gigantic image that was then sliced up? I've noticed that areas often have connecting features (and I'm not just talking about Beregost & the Temple or Nashkel & the Carnival where the travel time is 0 hours).

For example, look at the rocky features on the left side of High Hedge. They line up with the right side of AR3100. Similarly, you can line up AR3600 and AR3700 (notice the coast line). And there are dirt trails on the north side of AR3700 that connect directly to High Hedge.

All of a sudden, I'm wondering why it takes so long to walk everywhere in Baldur's Gate... :-)

I remember a very old thread with all the areas of BG1 connected.. it seems like originally it was one big area

• StreamhopperStreamhopper Member Posts: 19
    wojtek said:

where is the patch yooo ??! :) it supposed to be beggining of september or in the worst case half of september , so it is now , still waiting friends :)

Indeed, ... "early to mid" ...

Shall I dare to ask again for a concrete date?
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    CamDawg said:

Adul said:

Yeah, same. And in a move that will really bring out the fanbois, I've also never made it past the mortuary in PST.

=(

It gets SO much better once you get about an hour in.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    CamDawg said:

And in a move that will really bring out the fanbois, I've also never made it past the mortuary in PST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggGsWS-wOPg

Beware! ;)
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    edited September 2013

I can't believe I'd never noticed this before, but were the outdoor area images originally drawn as one gigantic image that was then sliced up? I've noticed that areas often have connecting features (and I'm not just talking about Beregost & the Temple or Nashkel & the Carnival where the travel time is 0 hours).

Imagine if Overhaul could re-engineer the area loading system so that you could seamlessly walk from Gnoll stronghold to Baldur's Gate or Ulgoth's Beard...

The mind trembles!
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    alnair said:

Imagine if Overhaul could re-engineer the area loading system so that you could seamlessly walk from Gnoll stronghold to Baldur's Gate or Ulgoth's Beard...

Hmm, definitely an interesting thought. But thinking more about it I reckon it would make the game feel so... small.

Not to mention that the same solution would not work in BG2 since there are practically no explorable areas in that game that don't have at least one major quest tied to them.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited September 2013
    mch202 said:

I remember a very old thread with all the areas of BG1 connected.. it seems like originally it was one big area

Found it! http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16061/map-of-the-sword-coast

Looking at the combined map, it appears they definitely made lot the areas connect. Some areas, however, don't have that. For example, Cloakwood definitely looks less "connected" than other areas.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Adul said:

alnair said:

Hmm, definitely an interesting thought. But thinking more about it I reckon it would make the game feel so... small.

Not to mention that the same solution would not work in BG2 since there are practically no explorable areas in that game that don't have at least one major quest tied to them.
    I don't think it would work because aren't there places on the map that would be missing? Like between High Hedge and the Mountain range to the west.
  • Huskarl2006Huskarl2006 Member Posts: 21

Why dont you (Beamdog) post the beta patch change log.. to channel some of the anticipation?

To quote yourself is bad, but sometimes necessary ;)
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited September 2013
    rdarken said:

I don't think it would work because aren't there places on the map that would be missing? Like between High Hedge and the Mountain range to the west.

The funny thing is, if you look at the edges of the areas, they often have continuous features (roads, rivers, ridges, etc..) with "neighboring" areas, despite those areas being hours of travel time apart in the game.

One that I just noticed - look at Nashkel. There's shadows on the northwest side of the Nashkel area. Those shadows are from the hills in the area to the west of Nashkel (Xvart village). However, that area is 4 hours travel from Nashkel. Those are some LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG shadows! ;-)

https://forums.beamdog.com/uploads/FileUpload/9c/89297b9a83ee3f26aa755d9b967538.jpg
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited September 2013

Why dont you (Beamdog) post the beta patch change log.. to channel some of the anticipation?

To quote yourself is bad, but sometimes necessary ;)
    It works too if others quote you :)
    But it seems they won't give any change log before the beta is actually released, for some strange reason... a pre-patch change log can be modified when the patch is actually released. But not with this team i guess.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think the reason has more to do with:

A) The sheer number of things in this patch; and
    B) The amount of time we're devoting to the patch itself.

I'll see if we can compile a more complete list than what's been tossed about so far, although it may take a bit to make it not unreadable.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    @Dee talking of the patch, is there any more on where we are with that beta? Is it likely to be in the next couple of weeks, or are we looking into October and beyond?
  • rathlordrathlord Member Posts: 171
    @Wanderon but that's not what I'm saying. I'm not asking for everything to be carried over, but if I'm recalling correctly @Dee has been pretty clear that he thinks moving things like relationships over is impossible. I'm just trying to sort this out, because as @viader and others have said, it should be far from impossible- it should be quite easy. So I'm just trying to get it sorted out why. Figured @Kaeloree might have some input, but mayhaps not (-;
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816

rdarken said:

The funny thing is, if you look at the edges of the areas, they often have continuous features (roads, rivers, ridges, etc..) with "neighboring" areas, despite those areas being hours of travel time apart in the game.

One that I just noticed - look at Nashkel. There's shadows on the northwest side of the Nashkel area. Those shadows are from the hills in the area to the west of Nashkel (Xvart village). However, that area is 4 hours travel from Nashkel. Those are some LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG shadows! ;-)

https://forums.beamdog.com/uploads/FileUpload/9c/89297b9a83ee3f26aa755d9b967538.jpg
    Great link - I like how the Bandit Camp and the Cloakwood Mine are literally right across the street from each other, but you have to take the most roundabout path possible to get to the latter. Really makes you look at the game world differently!
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    rathlord said:

@Wanderon but that's not what I'm saying. I'm not asking for everything to be carried over, but if I'm recalling correctly @Dee has been pretty clear that he thinks moving things like relationships over is impossible. I'm just trying to sort this out, because as @viader and others have said, it should be far from impossible- it should be quite easy. So I'm just trying to get it sorted out why. Figured @Kaeloree might have some input, but mayhaps not (-;

They can't carry over anything that would require them to change any of the existing dialogue in the game or force them to rewrite any of the existing plot due to contractual obligations. These restrictions block most things from being carried over.
  • viaderviader Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 875
    edited September 2013
    @rathlord
    From script side I thinking about using items slots. Equipment have 32 slots - we can store 32 boolean values, or long integer :)
    We can move from BG1 to BG2 max 3 items? (Golden Pantaloons, one armour, one miscellaneous)
    So we have 29 slots, we can import 29 information, it is nice number, but it isn't end, we can store more than one item in one slots, we can store x arrows/bullets etc...

From code side, it is possible to export all globals variables in .chr file, just add to creature file on each variable one effect http://gemrb.org/iesdp/opcodes/bg2tob.htm (number 265) Creature can have 2^32 count of effects...
    http://gemrb.org/iesdp/file_formats/ie_formats/cre_v1.htm
    cmk24 said:

They can't carry over anything that would require them to change any of the existing dialogue in the game or force them to rewrite any of the existing plot due to contractual obligations. These restrictions block most things from being carried over.

Import variables = rewrite dialogue files?
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Well it's an ask anything thread, so here i go:

What makes Hull (the guard in candlekeep that drunk too much and forget his sword in the barracks) be nice or agressive with you, alignment? Reputation? Class? Race?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited September 2013
    While we are at it why can't Reevor clean out those rats himself? He is a level 5 fighter after all. Is he secretly terrified of them or is this more an effort to impart values like hard work? (by letting charname sit on it for a day)
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Imported items are controlled by importXX.2da and called by TakeItemListPartyNum. AFAIK this system can already be extended indefinitely if we wanted to increase the number of items available in Chateau Irenicus. Technically all of your items are already imported into BG2, it's just that the first scripted in action in SoA does some item checks, runs the import lists, and then deletes everything else.

Variables are another matter I've given thought to. If we reserved a modding prefix for imported variables--say every variable in BGEE that started with, oh let's say XY, would get brought over to BG2EE we'd get a lot of flexibility for modders without importing every variable or hardcoding more junk. Those would be further subprefixed to avoid namespace collisions. If I wanted to bring over variables, I'd use XYCDfoo (special prefix + my personal prefix + variable name), Cuv would use XYCUfoo, BG1 NPC would use XYX#foo, etc.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    viader said:

Import variables = rewrite dialogue files?

Well taking the example of the relationship variable, I would assume that the dialogue with that person would have to be changed to reflect this set variable. As for keeping tons of your equipment it has already been pointed out that would end up changing the balance of the game etc...

Sure you can import the variables and keep them around in the save file, but if you want them to actually do anything in BG2 and have them not break it (or break the current contractual obligations) would take more work then adding in a few more flags to the save files. At least that is my understanding of why Beamdog is not doing anything like this, but I might be completely wrong.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    We will see any more media blitzes this month? Interviews? Videos? Screenshots?
  • viaderviader Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 875
    @cmk24 I don't know how much works it would be required from devs, but I think that it is quite easy, it isn't new render, or fix Polish font (I suppose)

Even if devs can't change anything from old content, then can add lots thing to new content, or maybe one modder one day make mod for BG2EE using variables from BGEE. Except these reason, as you say it would be unnecessary.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    CamDawg said:

Variables are another matter I've given thought to. If we reserved a modding prefix for imported variables--say every variable in BGEE that started with, oh let's say XY, would get brought over to BG2EE we'd get a lot of flexibility for modders without importing every variable or hardcoding more junk. Those would be further subprefixed to avoid namespace collisions. If I wanted to bring over variables, I'd use XYCDfoo (special prefix + my personal prefix + variable name), Cuv would use XYCUfoo, BG1 NPC would use XYX#foo, etc.

This would be a great enhancement to the series.
This discussion has been closed.